PDA

View Full Version : If you were starting the Steelers from scratch and could keep only ONE player...

steelerstrade
10-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Who would that player be? And one special NOTE... You already are getting Ben Roethlisberger (since he is the most likely choice)...I have listed some obvious choices in my mind and then a couple who would make you think (in no order at all)....And WHY did you make your choice? Are you trying to win now or later, he fits your system, etc??? :coffee:

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-18-2008, 10:45 AM
I chose LaMarr Woodley because he has become a dominant pass rusher and he can be a franchise defensive player. I chose him over Polamalu because he is younger and Troy has trouble staying healthy.

fansince'76
10-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I chose Troy myself. Before his two down seasons (due primarily to injuries) he was well on track to becoming a once-in-a-generation kind of player like Rod Woodson was, and so far this year, he is playing up to that potential again. Woodley and Harrison have been the main reason for the resurgence of our pass rush, but I feel Troy's "return" is what has really made our D scary to pass against once again.

Crushzilla
10-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Hmm interesting poll.

I went with Troy because the way he plays he position is unlike any other in football.

Yes. Willie Parker is a great back. There are other burners out there, though.

Also, we have had a lot of GREAT linebacker here. Again, yes, I love the guys we have right now (moreso than any group for a while), but you can always find new guys with similar skill sets.

Troy's skills, style, and personality are absolutely unique.

A lot of the others were too old to start a francise with!

MACH1
10-18-2008, 11:09 AM
John Kuhn. :chuckle:

klick81
10-18-2008, 11:21 AM
It was a tough one between Polamalu and Ward for me, but I ultimately kept Ward.

The main reason I went with Ward was his longevity, more than anything.

Ninja edit: good poll by the way.

stillers4me
10-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I chose LaMarr because he's only starting out and will be a force for many years. Build around him.

I still love you, Troy!

Stu Pidasso
10-18-2008, 11:58 AM
I chose James Harrison for two reasons:

1) Defense wins championships, and I'd build my defense around him.

2) He's a monster.

Makaveli
10-18-2008, 12:05 PM
As mentioned,...defense wins Championships. And as such i chose Troy. Because aside from him being the best all around defensive player on our roster, he is an individual of character, honor, and strength and an absolute competitor. (FIGHT ON !)

ShutDown24
10-18-2008, 12:16 PM
It has to be Troy.

With Willie runningback is a position that's too easy to fill, same with Mendy.

Most of the list is honestly too old for me to want to start a franchise around.

And guys like Santonio and Woodley just aren't there yet in my opinion, daaang close but not to that 'franchise' level in my opinion.

Troy is fairly young, not too longi n the tooth and plays in a very impactful way - perfect to build a defense around.

Mosca
10-18-2008, 12:31 PM
I was going to pick Woodley (younger), but finally I chose Harrison; he's the guy the defensive players elected leader. If I'm going to build around a guy, I'd like it to be the guy who a player would choose as his leader.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-18-2008, 01:08 PM
The rule is to always build around a QB...and since that isnt an option here...I went with 1) ability/talent 2) youth.....Woodley.

tony hipchest
10-18-2008, 01:15 PM
assuming each player was 22 and able to play at the peak of their career, i selected casey hampton. players like him a few and far in between. he is the cog of our 3-4 and with our defense being more in vogue, his stock goes up.

Leftoverhard
10-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Troy.
Style.
Team player.
Team leader.
Optimist.
Attitude.
HIgh standards.
Work Ethic.
Ferocious when neccesary.
Tough as hell.
Absolutely loyal.

Troy fits the mold of the perfect Steeler while simultaneously breaking every mold. Awesome.

SuzyPeppercorn
10-18-2008, 02:01 PM
this poll hurts me. how can i pick between all these amazing players? its like loving one of your kids more than the other.

I can't pick i just can't.

Sharkissle29
10-18-2008, 02:46 PM
I went with woodley. He's a young player who will become a leader on the field once he gets a few more years under his belt.

Havik
10-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Byron Leftwich

Seriously, I'd keep Woodley. Every team needs a pass rushing stud.

24seven
10-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Hines is the obvious choice here comon people.. Think of all the years he's been puttin dbacks on there ass.. Hell even linebackers for that matter. He was smackin ho's long before most of those guys even got done pissin there britches.. And he's done it all with that big ol' smile on his face..

HometownGal
10-18-2008, 04:12 PM
So many terrific Steelers to choose from, but I had to go with Troy. He is the epitome of what a Pittsburgh Steeler should be all wrapped up into one great player, teammate and person - on and off the field.

SteelersJW
10-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Dude, Jimmie Harrison. The guys a frickin beast. His nickname is "Silverback" for god sakes.

Galax Steeler
10-19-2008, 06:54 AM
I had to go with ward a good physical reciever and hard hitter.

steelerstrade
10-19-2008, 09:05 AM
I think if you are building a winner in the mold of "Steelers strategy" then you would never take a guy like Harrison, Ward or any of the other 30 or older guys. Why not Harrison? Well 3 years from now, he will likely want Joey Porter type money (as he should) and see a decline in his play each year after. Ward and anyone else over 30 just isn't your prototypical player you build around because of age factors. That leads me to Woodley and Polamalu. I am a huuuuuge Woodley fan, even purchased his jersey down at Station Square before the 2007 season even started. But unfortunately I think it is much easier to fill the OLB position with a star in Pittsburgh than it is to find a once every 30 years (per team) safety like Polamalu.

SteelMember
10-19-2008, 10:16 AM
I chose Troy pruely based on his versatility. Normally I would choose an interior d-lineman-Hampton, but because I believe Troy has the ability to impact every play, even from a secondary position, I went with his overall athleticism.

SteelersMongol
10-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Troy. No question about it.

MasterOfPuppets
10-19-2008, 11:43 PM
if harrison were 5 yrs younger, i'd go with him,but he isn't, so ya gotta go with woodley who is only going to get better, and should have another 10 good years in him. tough not to go with polomalu, but he could only be 1 more concussion away from retirement.

stlrtruck
10-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Since I've already got Ben, I took Troy. While I'd love to have Harrison and Woodley, it's easier to draft a LB to fit into the system than type of player that Polamalu is on the field.

steelerstrade
10-20-2008, 11:31 AM
As a side note...I personally would put a little more focus on the O-line in the draft than I fear we have done in (recent) years past. Not saying first round picks but maybe a second here or there on linemen sprinkled in with some nice moves in FA. $100 mil to a starting QB and $550k to the backup makes you realize what you should be protecting.

Steely McSmash
10-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Woodley for youth and rarity of talent.

If this is from age 22 I'd go with Aaron Smith.

I expect Troy to have to retire in about 2 years because he can't stop hitting people with his head. Missles are awesome but they're not re-usable.

Dino 6 Rings
10-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Troy

I've seen how our defense plays when he's not in the lineup...and its gross.

Give me Troy and I'll build a defense around him that will compete week in and week out.

steelreserve
10-20-2008, 12:35 PM
I picked Holmes, with Troy a close second.

Those are all great players, but if you're rebuilding a team from scratch, then you have to basically disqualify Hampton, Smith, Farrior, Harrison and Ward right off the bat, just because they're past the midway point of their careers. Nothing against them, but that's just an inescapable fact unless you think they'll be playing until they're 45.

That leaves Troy, Parker, Holmes, Woodley and Mendenhall.

For Mendenhall, it's too early to tell how good he's going to be, so he's out.

Parker, as we've seen the past 3 years, is not a back you can use in every situation -- and RB is one of the easier positions to pick up someone who's at least adequate. So he's gone.

Woodley is great, but we also seem to have an innate ability to develop great pass-rushing linebackers. So my hope is that we'd be able to do that with the next guy also, whoever he was.

That leaves Troy and Holmes ... Holmes looks like he can be a great receiver in this league for the next 10 years. We always could use someone like that to throw to, plus he's become a decent returner.

Troy is a one-of-a-kind talent, but I had to put him second because it just seems a lot harder for one man to carry the team on defense than on offense. You can avoid him, scheme around him, a number of things -- but on offense, you get to choose who's the playmaker.

fred
10-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I took Harrison because it all starts with D-fense! and He is a dominator...

xfl2001fan
10-20-2008, 12:59 PM
If we are talking about players in their prime, then I'd go with Casey Hampton as a cornerstone to build the rest of the defense around.

If we're talking about players now...holy crap. Your best players are getting up there in years (Ward, Smith, Hampton), have had injury problems (Troy in particular) or may be a product of significant talent around them (Holmes has Ward, Parker, Ben, the LB's have a great 3-4 DL with good LBs around them to draw attention.)

I don't like your poll sir. LOL

IamTheSteelGod
10-20-2008, 01:05 PM
If they where all rookies this season or last then I would most deffo choose Hines.

ShutDown24
10-20-2008, 01:13 PM
may be a product of significant talent around them (Holmes has Ward, Parker, Ben, the LB's have a great 3-4 DL with good LBs around them to draw attention.)

That's funny lol - who is benefiting from who? Holmes benefiting from Ward? Other way around? All a product of Ben's greatness? Ben is a product of the skill positions around him? Willie is most definitely not a product of the O line lol... That great 3-4 D-Line you're talking about was two men down a good portion of this season and the LBers still produced therefore that's bogus... I understand what you're saying, but the only situation I could see where possibly this player is a product of the talent around him is Holmes. I don't believe that, but that is the only scenario I see which your theory could have some credit. Ward has been producing long before Ben came, Ben has produced with our #3 and #4 WRs starting before, Parker has had to deal with a bad O-Line... And as I said, even through injury this year to the D-Line the LBers have performed MORE than well. I do agree with you on age and injury. Sorry lol, that was unnecessary but I felt a need to break that down (If only for myself).

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-20-2008, 02:12 PM
I almost couldn't vote. I went with Troy "Superfly Jimmy Snuka" Polamalu. Arguably the best at his position. The Steelers have always had great pass rushing Linebackers, so that kills Woodley and Harrison. But never have we had a Strong Safety such as Troy, that can line up any where on the entire field and still come into position to make the play. He is the most versatile player on our defensive side of the ball...HANDS DOWN.

steelerstrade
10-23-2008, 08:34 AM
So does the recent injury to Troy cause some people to want to change their vote? Over 5 concussions in his life now...

xfl2001fan
10-23-2008, 09:19 AM
That's funny lol - who is benefiting from who? Holmes benefiting from Ward? Other way around? All a product of Ben's greatness? Ben is a product of the skill positions around him? Willie is most definitely not a product of the O line lol... That great 3-4 D-Line you're talking about was two men down a good portion of this season and the LBers still produced therefore that's bogus... I understand what you're saying, but the only situation I could see where possibly this player is a product of the talent around him is Holmes. I don't believe that, but that is the only scenario I see which your theory could have some credit. Ward has been producing long before Ben came, Ben has produced with our #3 and #4 WRs starting before, Parker has had to deal with a bad O-Line... And as I said, even through injury this year to the D-Line the LBers have performed MORE than well. I do agree with you on age and injury. Sorry lol, that was unnecessary but I felt a need to break that down (If only for myself).

Yeah, I'm late getting to this. It happens.

I truly believe (in the case of your Linebackers) that they are good individual linebackers. In this specific case, the total effect is greater than the sum of the individual pieces.

I think that Woodley would be pretty good on any team. Harrison too. Etc...However, having those guys together with a Troy P, Hampton, DE Smith etc...well, I don't need to tell you how good they are.

The fact that there are injuries in the more "key pieces" of your defense (IMO) gives credence to the fact that they are good, but a big part of that is how good the other (healthy) guys around them are as well. Teams still can't key on Harrison, because there are three other guys (and some behind them in the DC) who can make you pay for ignoring them.

It's also a huge tribute to Coach L. because his schemes are excellent and your guys are almost always in the right place in the right time.

SunshineMan21
10-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I chose Troy because strong safety is such a tough position to fill with a quality player, and he basically changes the look of a whole defense.

I also considered Woodley and Harrison . . . our offensive skill position players are good but in my opinion you build around lines, quarterback, and defense.