PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Add Offensive Lineman Parquet to Roster

stillers4me
10-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Steelers Add Offensive Lineman Parquet to Roster :noidea:

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers added depth to their offensive line today when they signed offensive tackle Jeremy Parquet from their practice squad to their active roster. Financial terms of the one-year deal were not released.

Parquet (6-6, 315) had spent the first six weeks of the 2008 season on the Steelers’ practice squad and is in his fourth year out of Southern Miss. He originally signed with the Steelers’ practice squad on Nov. 29, 2007, and was promoted to the team’s active roster on Jan. 2, 2008, for Pittsburgh’s Wild Card playoff game against Jacksonville. He was inactive for the game.

Parquet was originally selected by the Kansas City Chiefs in the seventh round (238th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft. He dressed but did not play in two games as a rookie and was inactive for the remaining 14 contests. Parquet signed with the St. Louis Rams on Nov. 28, 2006, after being released by the Chiefs during the preseason. He remained on the active roster for the final five games of the regular season, but was inactive for each game. The Rams released Parquet on Sept. 1, 2007, during their final preseason roster cuts.

Parquet will wear jersey No. 65 for the Steelers.

The Steelers made room on their active roster for Parquet by releasing first-year defensive tackle Scott Paxson.

http://news.steelers.com/article/97695/

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Looks like he is taking Simmons spot on the active roster. Also might be a clear indication that Tony Hills isnt ready to play.....even in emergency situations.

rbryan
10-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Dude is big enough. Heres to hoping he makes the best of his opportunity.

SteelMember
10-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Looks like he is taking Simmons spot on the active roster. Also might be a clear indication that Tony Hills isnt ready to play.....even in emergency situations.

Yeah, what's with that.

Guess it just goes to show that no matter where you went to school or what selection you were, it still takes some seasoning to make it on a PRO roster. I'm hoping he just need some more time/work.

tony hipchest
10-19-2008, 11:34 AM
especially on a steelers roster. looking how long it took kemoeatu to "get it" vs. stapelton, it makes you think you have to be a road scholor and a road grater to crack the line. all you hear about stapelton is how intelligent he is.

couldnt scott paxon just go down to the practice squad?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Parquet got some time today in the 4th and actually looked OK. He looked good in the preseason too.

Only thing is that he is kind of like Hills in he lets players get too close to him and doesnt extend his arms with a good punch in pass blocking. He may be a reserve RT next season too.

SunshineMan21
10-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Is this an indication that Marvel Smith may be out for awhile? If Hills can't play then we needed another tackle with Smith out.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Is this an indication that Marvel Smith may be out for awhile? If Hills can't play then we needed another tackle with Smith out.

I dont think so. I think when Simmons was lost, they just activated an extra player in Paxson to fill the D-line void. Now with Smith out, they needed to bring in another OT, as the only backups would be Essex and Parquet.

If Hartwig and Colon got hurt, then Essex and Parquet is a better option than Essex and Hills. Smith could be back next week, but Parquet was needed this week for sure.

KeiselPower99
10-20-2008, 02:02 AM
In the preseason he was running number 2 rt if i remember.

SteelMember
10-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I dont think so. I think when Simmons was lost, they just activated an extra player in Paxson to fill the D-line void. Now with Smith out, they needed to bring in another OT, as the only backups would be Essex and Parquet.

If Hartwig and Colon got hurt, then Essex and Parquet is a better option than Essex and Hills. Smith could be back next week, but Parquet was needed this week for sure.

Have you heard anything on this. His back seems to be a real issue and it may affect his career, even if it's probably not with the Steelers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Have you heard anything on this. His back seems to be a real issue and it may affect his career, even if it's probably not with the Steelers.

No, I havent heard anything on this. He left the Jags game because of leg cramps and dehydration and hasnt been back since. Ed Bouchette of the PG said he had similar routine back surgery a while back and he experienced muscle spasams up to a year after the surgery. I think this is similar.

Judging that the Steelers have not negotiated with Smith on a new deal and the fact he is 30 and entering his 3rd contract......I doubt they sign him anyways in the offseason.

XxKnightxX
10-20-2008, 12:15 PM

With this guys size, if he can pick up his game hell definitely be on the starting lineup later this season or next year. The steelers need a big physical precense in the O-line, I like how this guy got promoted, but then again , hes gotta prove himself.