PDA

View Full Version : Who's on your draft board ?

Makaveli
10-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Still a long way off but as of now here are some players that i've been keeping an eye on,

Rey Maualuga

Taylor Mays

Evander Hood

Captain Munnerlyn

Alex Mack

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Keep in mind alot of this changes before the season is over and after the combine,,,but as of now....Here is my draft board for the Steelers based on us picking at the end of each round and without taking "sliders" into consideration.

1st ROUND

OT: Jason Smith, Baylor...Alex Boone, Ohio State
C: Alex Mack, California
DE: Tyson Jackson, LSU
CB: Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest... Mike Mickens, Cincinnati

2nd ROUND

OT: Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin.... Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma....
DT: Fili Moala, USC
CB: Kevin Barnes, Maryland...D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt... Darius Butler, Connecticut

3rd ROUND

OT: Fenuki Tupou, Oregon...OG/OT, Max Unger, Oregon...OG/OT Louis Vasquez, Texas Tech
DT:Terrance Taylor, Michigan ...B. J. Raji, Boston College
CB: Trevard Lindley, Kentucky ....Kevin Barnes, Maryland...CB Mark Parson from Ohio
DE: Pannel Egboh, Stanford
LB: Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh

4th ROUND

SS: Chris Clemons, Clemson...Chip Vaughn, Wake Forest
TE: Andrew Quarless, Penn State
OT: Dallas Reynolds, BYU... Jason Watkins, Florida
CB: Bruce Johnson, Miami
LB: Cody Brown, Connecticut...LB: Worrell Williams, California

5th ROUND

LB: Clint Sintim, Virginia....Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina
SS Troy Nolan,Arizona State
OT: Dace Richardson, Iowa
CB: Wopamo Osaisai, Stanford....Londen Fryar, Western Michigan
FB: Brannan Southerland, Georgia

6th ROUND

CB: DeAngelo Smith, Cincinnati
FB/TE Marquez Branson,Central Arkansas
OT: Garrett Reynolds, North Carolina...Augustus Parrish, Kent State
OG: Scott Burley, Maryland
LB: Russell Allen, San Diego State
SS: Reshard Langford,Vanderbilt

7th ROUND

OT Sean Sester, Purdue
ILB/ST Ronnie Palmer,Arizona
FB: Chris Pressley, Wisconsin

Makaveli
10-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Keep in mind alot of this changes before the season is over and after the combine,,,but as of now....Here is my draft board for the Steelers based on us picking at the end of each round and without taking "sliders" into consideration.

1st ROUND

OT: Jason Smith, Baylor...Alex Boone, Ohio State
C: Alex Mack, California
DE: Tyson Jackson, LSU
CB: Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest... Mike Mickens, Cincinnati

2nd ROUND

OT: Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin.... Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma....
DT: Fili Moala, USC
CB: Kevin Barnes, Maryland...D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt... Darius Butler, Connecticut

3rd ROUND

OT: Fenuki Tupou, Oregon...OG/OT, Max Unger, Oregon...OG/OT Louis Vasquez, Texas Tech
DT:Terrance Taylor, Michigan ...B. J. Raji, Boston College
CB: Trevard Lindley, Kentucky ....Kevin Barnes, Maryland...CB Mark Parson from Ohio
DE: Pannel Egboh, Stanford
LB: Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh

4th ROUND

SS: Chris Clemons, Clemson...Chip Vaughn, Wake Forest
TE: Andrew Quarless, Penn State
OT: Dallas Reynolds, BYU... Jason Watkins, Florida
CB: Bruce Johnson, Miami
LB: Cody Brown, Connecticut...LB: Worrell Williams, California

5th ROUND

LB: Clint Sintim, Virginia....Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina
SS Troy Nolan,Arizona State
OT: Dace Richardson, Iowa
CB: Wopamo Osaisai, Stanford....Londen Fryar, Western Michigan
FB: Brannan Southerland, Georgia

6th ROUND

CB: DeAngelo Smith, Cincinnati
FB/TE Marquez Branson,Central Arkansas
OT: Garrett Reynolds, North Carolina...Augustus Parrish, Kent State
OG: Scott Burley, Maryland
LB: Russell Allen, San Diego State
SS: Reshard Langford,Vanderbilt

7th ROUND

OT Sean Sester, Purdue
ILB/ST Ronnie Palmer,Arizona
FB: Chris Pressley, Wisconsin

Good stuff. I'm with you on loadholt, Mack, Barnes, Jackson, Moala. I also think the Kid out Cincinati (Smith)has a good deal of upside as well as Johnson out of Miami.

Do you think Jackson would last into the second half of the first round ?

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Good stuff. I'm with you on loadholt, Mack, Barnes, Jackson, Moala. I also think the Kid out Cincinati (Smith)has a good deal of upside as well as Johnson out of Miami.

Do you think Jackson would last into the second half of the first round ?

Jackson is something of an enigma....I hae seen him everywhere from the 1st to the 3rd rounds....I think the first round grades are based more on his performance in 2006 & 2007...and newer grades are based on his performance in 2008 in which he can be neutralized by teams who no longer have to deal with Dorsey. Either way I think he is a legit player..anyone who opposing Offensive coordinators are planning against on a weekly basis is worthy of serious consideration....

...all that being said....unless he shows up slow and out of shape at the combine...I think that he will end up being a 2nd-3rd round pick...(though I will keep him as a late 1st round early 2nd rounder for now, since that is where he is being graded as of today)

Aussie_steeler
10-22-2008, 05:51 AM
Great first board LLT - I would expect nothing less from you.

Loads of these players are on my first rough board. I have only been looking at O line, D line, CB and FS at this stage. Guys I have included are

2nd Round
OT - Jamon Meredith
C - Jonathon Luigs
DT - Vince Oghobaase & Ricky Jean Francois

3rd Round
OT - Andrew Gardener
OC - Eric Wood

Round 4 - 7
I am unsure of where they sit this early but names I am watching are:

DT - Dorell Scott, Demonte Bolden, Ron Brace and Antonio Dixon
CB - Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett and Morgan Trent
FS - Rashad Johnson,Trimane Goddard, Curtis Taylor, CJ Spillman & Anthony Scirotto

( I am watching Free Safety as I would like to see Anthony Smith to SS replacing Carter)

With more reading some of these players may be culled due to poor character. Also Rashad Johnson and Trimane Goddard may actually be grossly undervalued here in my first ranking.

How long until its officially draft geek season LLT, or does really never end?

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-25-2008, 09:12 AM
How long until its officially draft geek season LLT, or does really never end?

LOL...it never ends!!!!....I'm ready to quit my job and take up a full time position as "Internet Draft Geek"

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey LLT, is Boone still hampered by injury?? He looked stiff and slow this weekend against PSU.

Still a large man that can stand to put more weight on his frame, but he loafs around like a guy in a mascot suit from what I have seen. He wiffed on a block on a LB that was 4 yards off the line of scrimmage, just because he ran by him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Hey LLT, is Boone still hampered by injury?? He looked stiff and slow this weekend against PSU.

Still a large man that can stand to put more weight on his frame, but he loafs around like a guy in a mascot suit from what I have seen. He wiffed on a block on a LB that was 4 yards off the line of scrimmage, just because he ran by him.

Havent heard....I will check.

I didnt get to see the game....Have you had a chance to see Max Unger? He seems to be rising very quickly up draft boards due to an ability to play every spot on the front line.

I have seen where one draft-guru stated that he is guick but not strong enough to play anything but a zone-blocking scheme....but another site showed that he was one of the strongest young men on his team....I need to watch a game to get a better idea of what he can do.

MasterOfPuppets
10-27-2008, 02:33 PM
max unger - espn scouting report

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=24334&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl draft%2fdraft%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fid%3d24334

Production 1 2005-06: Started in his first 25 consecutive games at the left tackle position. 2007: Started all 13 games at center.
Height-Weight-Speed 3 Height and bulk are only average for the OT position. He is well-proportioned, though. Speed is below-average
Durability 1 A reliable player that has started every game since his true freshman year
Character 0 N/A
Offensive Tackle specific Traits
Strength/Toughness 2 Possesses a strong lower body and the upper body strength to lock on and control defenders. Fights to the whistle and is a finisher
Agility 4 Limited athlete but masks weaknesses with technique. Shows a quick first step and takes solid angles. Plays under control, so if he gets to the second level on time he generally is effective hitting moving targets
Awareness 1 A very intelligent player. Has played both tackle and center position. Keeps his head on a swivel in pass protection and recognizes line stunts quickly.
Pass Protection 3 Sinks hips and can recover when bull rushers get a strong initial push. Gets set quickly but struggles to mirror-and-slide versus athletic rushers. Does a nice job of mirroring rushers and using his hands to keep them at bay.....:noidea:
Run Blocking 2 Not a road grader but generally gets into good position. Locks on with hands and stands ground. Also effective cut blocker than can knock defenders off their feet

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-27-2008, 02:39 PM
max unger - espn scouting report

Gets set quickly but struggles to mirror-and-slide versus athletic rushers.

Does a nice job of mirroring rushers and using his hands to keep them at bay

:tap:
Makes me wonder if Emmitt Smith contributed to this!!!

I do like what I read about his versatlity and strength.

MasterOfPuppets
10-27-2008, 02:49 PM
:tap:
Makes me wonder if Emmitt Smith contributed to this!!!

I do like what I read about his versatlity and strength.the bad thing is, this ain't the first time i've seen scouting reports contradicting themselves.....its like 1 person writes the pros, and another writes the cons....:noidea: i really lost faith in these things when i seen in a report that omar jacobs would be the better pro out of his class......where is omar these days? workin at 7-11?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm not a big fan of Unger playing OT. I havent broken down his game, but will try and tivo a Oregon game and look.

Tough to evaluate a lot of OT's in a spread offense, but if I am not mistaken, he was recruited as a highschool center. I think he can be a solid Center like Khalil, but again not a road grader like they say.

Big, athletic guy with strong lower body that can play C......I like him in the middle, but not on the outside.

MasterOfPuppets
10-27-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm not a big fan of Unger playing OT. I havent broken down his game, but will try and tivo a Oregon game and look.

Tough to evaluate a lot of OT's in a spread offense, but if I am not mistaken, he was recruited as a highschool center. I think he can be a solid Center like Khalil, but again not a road grader like they say.

Big, athletic guy with strong lower body that can play C......I like him in the middle, but not on the outside.
i'm not a big fan of colon playing OT. .......:popcorn:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-28-2008, 09:52 AM

I'm reading the same thing about Unger at tackle....I wonder if you are correct in his playing Center in the pro's....He would be a very athletic guard.

Aussie_steeler
10-29-2008, 02:31 AM

Found this article that may be of interest

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_encroachment/128/20081027/from_the_inside_talking_with_a_scout/

JR: One prospect who has really disappointed me this year is Buckeyes left tackle Alex Boone. How do you see his stock?

Scout: Yeah, that kid seems to have regressed. Hes played better lately and that is encouraging. He has two things really working in his favor. You have to love his size and his temperament. He plays tackle like its a street fight and hes the biggest kid on the street. Id try him at left guard but he might be too tall. He reminds me of Jeremy Trueblood, and hes a pretty good right tackle. Hes still worthy of being in your Top 103, thats for sure (laughs).

There is a lot of good information in this article with a couple of new sleepers and also a great assessment of Ray Maualuga

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2008, 11:30 AM
i'm not a big fan of colon playing OT. .......:popcorn:

I'm becoming a fan of your not being a fan of Colon at RT. I honestly hope Tony Hills year in the weight room serves him well and he becomes the starting RT next season.

Colon can then move inside if Kemo is lost or Simmons isnt fully back yet from injury.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm reading the same thing about Unger at tackle....I wonder if you are correct in his playing Center in the pro's....He would be a very athletic guard.

At 6'5", 291 lbs he would need to put on some weight to play anywhere in the NFL. He will be a Rimmington finalist at C and is only 1" taller than Alex Mack. The height and reach is what might get him some looks at OT, but IMO, he will play on the inside and yes, be very athletic guy able to get to LB's if uncovered.

Aussie, nice pickup on that article. The reference to Jeremy Trueblood is a good one. I think I said Boone looked like a thinner and less athletic Tony Pashos before, but dont know if its the injury. Boone just not looking like an LT prospect to me....but I'be been wrong before.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Have you had a chance to see Max Unger? He seems to be rising very quickly up draft boards due to an ability to play every spot on the front line.

I have seen where one draft-guru stated that he is guick but not strong enough to play anything but a zone-blocking scheme.....

I think this assessment is pretty fair. I recorded Oregon vs. Cal this weekend and Unger has great feet, is quick and a really good pass blocker. The weakness is when he is rushed straight up, he normally gets pushed back and battles to not get pushed over. Likewise in the run game, he explodes into the defender, his momentum is absorbed and he is stalemated or works hard to move and turn the defender.

Alex Mack on the other hand is a bona fide powerful guy in the middle. His technique is solid, he isnt as athletic, but has quick feet. In pass blocking he sets, punches and moves his feet well. He absorbs the bull rush, resets his feet and locks his man down. In run blocking, he doesnt explode, but rather moves with quick feet in a solid base, engages the blocker and drives him downfield. Looks like he tries to pancake a guy each time he locks up.

Imagine trying to move a pile of snow. Unger is like a 1 Ton Truck with a plow, that takes a run at the snowpile to get it moving. Mack is like a small CAT bulldozer that locks onto the pile of snow and powers its way thru.

I wouldnt hesitate taking Mack in the 1st, while Unger is more of a round #3 or #4 guy to me. The caveat is he wouldnt fare well against the 330lb NT's......IMO.

rbryan
11-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm starting to think it wouldn't be a bad idea to trade down out of the first two rds every year. Hear me out.

It seems like more and more the top picks are not living up to the hype. Too much money too soon IMO. Its getting harder and harder to find 1st rd talent that also has 1st rd character. I'll take 2 or 3 guys that have heart and the desire to do whatever it takes over one prima donna that thinks he's already arrived before he even steps on the field.

Its little wonder to me that the fantasy FB leaders for the most part don't play on the teams with the best record.

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm starting to think it wouldn't be a bad idea to trade down out of the first two rds every year. Hear me out.

It seems like more and more the top picks are not living up to the hype. Too much money too soon IMO. Its getting harder and harder to find 1st rd talent that also has 1st rd character. I'll take 2 or 3 guys that have heart and the desire to do whatever it takes over one prima donna that thinks he's already arrived before he even steps on the field.

Its little wonder to me that the fantasy FB leaders for the most part don't play on the teams with the best record.one only has to look at our lack of using top 2 picks on our Oline in the last 7 years to find a credible arguement against your idea.

SunshineMan21
11-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I agree with MasterOfPuppets . . . for the most part you can't rely on finding players outside the top rounds on a consistant basis, and the places where this is historically most evident is on the OL.

rbryan
11-06-2008, 12:43 PM
OL??? Thats a whole different story. You didn't tell me we were going draft some OLman with the first two picks......lol

My point doesn't make as much sense to me either now that I've had a day to think about it.......lol

St33lersguy
02-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Anyone whos an OL and 3-4 DL