PDA

View Full Version : Hines getting fined???

SuzyPeppercorn
10-19-2008, 06:30 PM
does anyone think hines is going to get fined for the 3rd consecutive week?

i think its a good possibility seeing as hines broke someones jaw this time. if he does get fined for another good clean hit, i will lose all the remaining faith i have in goodell.

SteelersGirlTN7
10-19-2008, 07:08 PM
does anyone think hines is going to get fined for the 3rd consecutive week?

i think its a good possibility seeing as hines broke someones jaw this time. if he does get fined for another good clean hit, i will lose all the remaining faith i have in goodell.

As soon as the hit happened, I said.. uh oh Hines, open up your checkbook!!

I don't think it was a dirty hit (Hines is NOT a dirty player) ... but I think the refs were on the look out for him this week.

fansince'76
10-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Considering that he got tagged for $15K for slapping a guy on the helmet (which you see players do all the time) as it was called "taunting" WAY after the fact and went unflagged during the game, coupled with the fact that Goodell is a giant douchebag, yes, I do think Hines is going to get nailed again.

Edman
10-19-2008, 07:18 PM
It was a legal play and a legal block. Rivers was in on the play and Hines took him out. Hines will be fined because he hit him too hard. If he's going to get a bull**** fine for last week, he's going to get a bull**** fine for this.

stillers4me
10-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Considering that he got tagged for $15 K for slapping a guy on the helmet (which you see players do all the time) as it was called "taunting" WAY after the fact and unflagged during the game, coupled with the fact that Goodell is a giant douchebag, yes, I do think Hines is going to get nailed again.

And I don't think he cares.

TheMightyEx
10-19-2008, 07:22 PM
If they fine him you know the league has it in for him.

Incidentally a third fine would get him suspended for the NY game.

revefsreleets
10-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I think that hit was his statement. He said he's going to keep playing clean football, but it's worth more to him to jack people up and make the opposition play scared and have to pay 15k a game.

Good for him. I feel bad for Rivers. He seems like the VERY rare Bengal who isn't a punk or thug or whiny attention profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter. But he needs to learn to play with his head on a swivel against the Steelers.

stillers4me
10-19-2008, 07:50 PM
I think that hit was his statement. He said he's going to keep playing clean football, but it's worth more to him to jack people up and make the opposition play scared and have to pay 15k a game.

Good for him. I feel bad for Rivers. He seems like the VERY rare Bengal who isn't a punk or thug or whiny attention profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter. But he needs to learn to play with his head on a swivel against the Steelers.

I agree.

Too bad another unjustified fine may suspend him for the Giants game.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......does that make him a badass?? :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
10-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Can't speak to the fine part of it but it was certainly one helluva hard hit. Good job Hines.

revefsreleets
10-19-2008, 07:56 PM
He can't be suspended, but he will be fined. It was a clean hit.

NV STEELERS 723
10-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Hines will get fined but its a BS fine cause he "champed' Rivers on that play...It sucks that the guy is out for the year now , but it was not a dirty play.

fansince'76
10-19-2008, 07:58 PM
He can't be suspended, but he will be fined. It was a clean hit.

Kommissar Goodell can suspend him. Kommissar Goodell can do anything he wants - as long as he gets Kommander Kraft's OK first, anyway.

Steelman16
10-19-2008, 07:59 PM
I agree he'll get fined yet again for a clean hit or for something he didn't get called for - I guess Hines is just too much football player for Goodell.

NV STEELERS 723
10-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Good thing Jack Lambert is retired now!

Crushzilla
10-19-2008, 08:03 PM
You make the call.

mXxc9OxIJyc

I've already seen clamoring on other sites for the "inevitable" fine coming to the dirtiest player in the league.

My argument?

He led with the shoulder, hence the extension of the right arm as Rivers goes for the ride. Head, shoulders, knees, and toes. What the hell? If you hit someone leading with the shoulder, the head is going to get in the way.

Someone made the argument that there are 100 other ways Hines could have gone about blocking Rivers.

Just like there are 100 ways to hit a receiver coming over the middle... right?

And we all know Hines has never been blown up... right? Riiiight... :pity:

lilyoder6
10-19-2008, 08:06 PM
that was a nice nice block from hines.. poor rivers, but he had to be introduced to the steelers for the 1st time... but i would bet goodell will send him a fine on mon... and if he does get suspended for the g-men game that things will get much much worse in media about goodell

Crushzilla
10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
that was a nice nice block from hines.. poor rivers, but he had to be introduced to the steelers for the 1st time... but i would bet goodell will send him a fine on mon... and if he does get suspended for the g-men game that things will get much much worse in media about goodell

Oh man. I hate to say it because we need him. If Ward, 10 years the elder, gets suspended for breaking a LB... that's legend status.

Cry, cry, league and fans of the Bung. It was a nasty hit that wasn't intended to hurt the kid, just make him think twice next time he goes to the sideline for a tackle.

After all, defenders feel they have to send a statement to receivers about going over the middle...

Funny...

Dino 6 Rings
10-19-2008, 08:17 PM
I Hope Hines DOES get fined.

Keep fining us...we are STILL GOING TO KNOCK YOUR TEETH DOWN YOUR THROAT!

EF them all! Smash in all their heads and take the fines.

It was a clean hit, but they'll fine Hines, and who really cares, at the end of the day, The Steelers are the TOUGHEST TEAM on the planet!

Crushzilla
10-19-2008, 08:24 PM
That is one thing... I was glad to see that he wasn't gun-shy about playing hard, despite the fines.

Hammer Of The GODS
10-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Hines is the NFLs John Wayne. Just a swaggin bad arse dude!

I also seem to remember the bunghole fans claiming the hit that almost killed Trent Green was clean! Hmmmm. Trent was CLEARLY sliding when that fat putz bounced his head of the turf!

EFF the bungle fans and thier team of DUI repeat offenders!

RoethlisBURGHer
10-19-2008, 08:44 PM
"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

That quote above says it all.

If Ward gets fined, then I think the owners and fans need to seriously look into getting Goodell removed from office because this shit is getting out of hand.

Preacher
10-19-2008, 08:51 PM
I was thoroughly impressed with the hit.

Very sad that the guy's jaw is now broken, and I bet Hines feels horrible about that part of the hit. However, I am sure he is happy as a clam about protecting his teammate and playing the way he always plays.

So, good for Hines for playing all out...again.

I pray Rivers' jaw heals well without any complications, and he comes back to play well.

stillers4me
10-19-2008, 08:52 PM
I was thoroughly impressed with the hit.

Very sad that the guy's jaw is now broken, and I bet Hines feels horrible about that part of the hit. However, I am sure he is happy as a clam about protecting his teammate and playing the way he always plays.

So, good for Hines for playing all out...again.

I pray Rivers' jaw heals well without any complications, and he comes back to play well.

Well said. :hatsoff:

Dino 6 Rings
10-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Don't want hit hard...don't play in games against the Steelers

Dino 6 Rings
10-19-2008, 08:53 PM
This Hit Makes Me Happy!

fansince'76
10-19-2008, 08:55 PM
If Ward gets fined, then I think the owners and fans need to seriously look into getting Goodell removed from office because this shit is getting out of hand.

Did the NFLPA disband since Upshaw passed away? That's what I'd like to know. :noidea:

stillers4me
10-19-2008, 08:56 PM
This Hit Makes Me Happy!

Me, too. Violent, bone crushing, smash mouth football makes all goosebumpy.......and I'm a girl. :sofunny:

Ain't my hubby a lucky guy? :wink02:

Crushzilla
10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

That quote above says it all.

Great quote reference, Roeth.

I'm stealing it for my sig.

Steelman16
10-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Me, too. Violent, bone crushing, smash mouth football makes all goosebumpy.......and I'm a girl. :sofunny:

Ain't my hubby a lucky guy? :wink02:

Do you have a female twin by any chance? :wink02:

I still think the hit was clean. And I totally agree with you Roeth. Goodell is a joke.

KeiselPower99
10-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Hines the jawbreaker Ward. Man that was a hit. Prepare to pay up some to that charity.

Preacher
10-19-2008, 09:29 PM
I just went and read what was being said on a Bungles board...

Sickning... and sad.

I guess they don't understand that football is where guys HIT each other.

I am not kidding, some are saying that Hines should have just PUSHED him, not hit him.

What a joke.

Stlrs4Life
10-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Clean hit by far.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
It was a clean hit......There is no reason to fine someone just because they broke someones jaw..... all hall will break loose if he is fined.........Ward will finally give them something to fine him for

stillers4me
10-19-2008, 09:33 PM

Sickning... and sad.

I am not kidding, some are saying that Hines should have just PUSHED him, not hit him.

What a joke.

I guess that's why they are 0-7. They push instead of hit. :sofunny:

X-Terminator
10-19-2008, 09:36 PM

Sickning... and sad.

What a joke.

Like I said in the BF thread about this hit, they've obviously never heard of a "crackback block." Hines' hit was a textbook crackback, and the last time I checked, those were legal unless you hit him from behind or below the waist. That hit has been around for as long as the league has been around. Don't like it? Whine to the league to get the crackback block made illegal. Otherwise, STFU.

ReedsSteelerGirl3
10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Gotta love this quote from Hines after the game:

With the big block today, I guess you backed up your words when you said your style of play wasn’t going to change ...
“I’m not doing anything illegal. It was a clean hit. I didn’t stand over the guy or anything. I just celebrated the same as a guy does when he gets a sack. We’ll see. I’m not going to change my ways. If they’re going to keep fining me for that, then I’m going to get fined all year. I don’t know if I hurt him or not, but that wasn’t my intention. I saw he was hurt, said a little prayer for him, and that was it. I’ve been playing like that for 11 years. I guess I don’t know what people are griping about.”

I really hope he doesn't change his style of play because of these fines. He's one of the best at his game and that smile makes everything 10 times better.

Don't loose that smile Hines!

Shoes
10-19-2008, 09:40 PM
If Hines gets fined (unfairly again) it will be interesting to see which dress Goodell will have on...Brady's or "Americas team" Romo

stillers4me
Like I said in the BF thread about this hit, they've obviously never heard of a "crackback block." Hines' hit was a textbook crackback, and the last time I checked, those were legal unless you hit him from behind or below the waist. That hit has been around for as long as the league has been around. Don't like it? Whine to the league to get the crackback block made illegal. Otherwise, STFU.

They made a new rule after Carson was hit.........any bets about some new rules from this one. :chuckle:

PisnNapalm
Yeah...how often we gonna play the 'dirty hit' card when the Steelers bend us over and make us grab our ankles? Rivers got schooled, no biggie. : from a bengals fan.

stillers4me
10-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Gotta love this quote from Hines after the game:

With the big block today, I guess you backed up your words when you said your style of play wasn’t going to change ...
“I’m not doing anything illegal. It was a clean hit. I didn’t stand over the guy or anything. I just celebrated the same as a guy does when he gets a sack. We’ll see. I’m not going to change my ways. If they’re going to keep fining me for that, then I’m going to get fined all year. I don’t know if I hurt him or not, but that wasn’t my intention. I saw he was hurt, said a little prayer for him, and that was it. I’ve been playing like that for 11 years. I guess I don’t know what people are griping about.”

I really hope he doesn't change his style of play because of these fines. He's one of the best at his game and that smile makes everything 10 times better.

Don't loose that smile Hines!

And you know what? When someone puts a good hit on him, he still comes up smiling because a good hit is a good hit!

Don't change a thing thing, Hines.......the Steelers Nation is behind you all the way. Other teams only wish they a player that plays like you. :drink:

lilyoder6
10-19-2008, 09:43 PM
i was gonna say that that the bengals push and not hit and thats y they are winless too.. we must think alike.. lol

we'll have 2 wait until goodell has his weekly conference with kraft 2 see if hines will be fined

X-Terminator
10-19-2008, 09:44 PM
If they want to see a hit that SHOULD get a fine, look at Leroy Hill's KO shot on Ike Hilliard in the Shehawks/Bucs game, where Hill clearly lead with his helmet. Those hits should be fined. Not Hines making a time-tested football play.

stillers4me
10-19-2008, 09:45 PM
If they want to see a hit that SHOULD get a fine, look at Leroy Hill's KO shot on Ike Hilliard in the Shehawks/Bucs game, where Hill clearly lead with his helmet. Those hits should be fined. Not Hines making a time-tested football play.

Now that was nasty.

Preacher
10-19-2008, 09:45 PM
: from a bengals fan.

That deserves a smily... but it is kind of hard to do with the knowledge that Hines' LEGAL hit STILL ended with a guys broken jaw.

Least that guy understands that in sports, people hit each other.

indy steeler
10-19-2008, 09:55 PM
My first thought was that a LB should never let a WR hit him like that.

Hines Ward 6' 205lbs
Keith Rivers 6'2" 241lbs

Borski
10-19-2008, 09:57 PM
From a Bengals player

Brandon Johnson, who replaced Rivers and made a team-high seven tackles, had a couple of takes.

"It was a good block. If I was in Hines Ward's shoes, I probably would have taken the same shot," Johnson said. "You really can't blame him.

Crushzilla
10-19-2008, 10:00 PM

Yes, sir.

With the crackback, the "blocker" needs to keep his head in front of the defender's momentum. Ward leads with the pads into the armpit (textbook) and directs the helmet toward the chest.

Ward getting low negates all of River's momentum (which was non-exist anyway) and note where the point of impact REALLY is.

As the two separate, ALL of the force is coming from Hines arm. As he pushes off with the arm, he moves in the opposite direction.

If Hines was going pure helmet to helmet he would have fallen on top of Rivers.

As I said before, the helmet definitely caused the jaw injury, but it was a more collateral damage thing than intent.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Ward is a jaw breaker --- literally - Rivers out for season jaw broken in two place.

WARD HIT ENDS RIVERS’ SEASON
Posted by Mike Florio on October 19, 2008, 6:20 p.m.
profootball.com and AP http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jkKMGJHbhjb5N-umAVivs2YOkHQQD93TN0M00

Add Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers to the list of guys who’d like to kick Hines Ward’s ass.

A blindside block from the Steelers wideout on Sunday broke Rivers’ jaw, knocking him out for the game. According to Andrew Siciliano of DirecTV’s Red Zone Channel, Rivers also is out for the season.

[UPDATE: We’re told Rivers’ jaw is broken in two places. We hope he likes milkshakes.]

It was a clean hit, and it didn’t occur away from the play. It’s unlikely that Ward will be fined.

Meanwhile, we’re told that Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs recently informed our friends at 2 Live Stews that Baltimore has a bounty on Ward for his wicked hit last season Bart scott. We’re hoping to get the audio soon; it’s surely something about which the league will be interested, since bounties are verboten.

wheebz
10-19-2008, 10:24 PM
i saw the hit in person as i live in cincy...loved it...love ward...love the steelers!!!

Preacher
10-19-2008, 10:34 PM
From a Bengals player

Quote:
Brandon Johnson, who replaced Rivers and made a team-high seven tackles, had a couple of takes.

"It was a good block. If I was in Hines Ward's shoes, I probably would have taken the same shot," Johnson said. "You really can't blame him.

Wow..

good for him for stepping and being honest.

Like I said before, I bet Ward is upset about the broken jaw, but he isn't going to let it affect his play.

kmsteelerwr15
10-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Well lets jus say if he does, which he shouldnt be, it was his way of giving back to the community. haha

but seriously that was as clean a hit that ive ever seen. ive seen alot dirtier that was given to Ben, you know the position that the NFL is supposed to be protecting

SteelMember
10-20-2008, 09:17 AM
HInes isn't going to change his style of play. They may fine him, but he will not change the way he's played (successfully) for the past 11 years. I commend him on going out on the field and playing without any fear of what the commissioner may think. That was a TEXTBOOK hit.

I feel a little bad for the rookie, being he'll miss the rest of the season. He seems like a decent kid.

memphissteelergirl
10-20-2008, 10:01 AM
The hit was clean and legal...of course Hines is gonna get fined for it...Goodell is still the commish, isn't he? :banging: :mad:

But I hope the kid recovers quickly...you hate to see any player get hurt.

klick81
10-20-2008, 12:08 PM
It's not the fines that I would be worried about. The suspensions are what worry me, since it's obvious that GOD-ell has a hard-on for the Steelers.

Hines4ever
10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
It's not the fines that I would be worried about. The suspensions are what worry me, since it's obvious that GOD-ell has a hard-on for the Steelers.

Lotsa talk about a PROBABLE suspension for Hines.....more than a few are saying it was an illegal hit!!!!:bs:

xfl2001fan
10-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Lotsa talk about a PROBABLE suspension for Hines.....more than a few are saying it was an illegal hit!!!!:bs:

How many of those idiots watched the play?

TailgateMel
10-20-2008, 02:43 PM

where have you been hearing the "talk"? (honestly wondering)

I think the Rooney's will flip out if he gets suspended... did they ever get a definative clarification as to what specifically the last fine was for (did I miss it?)

fansince'76
10-20-2008, 02:49 PM
I think the Rooney's will flip out if he gets suspended... did they ever get a definative clarification as to what specifically the last fine was for (did I miss it?)

Yep - completely trumped-up BS - he was fined for "taunting" as he slapped Mathis on the helmet.

Hines Ward got his letter of explanation on why he was fined but was not penalized in the game against the Jaguars. League officials explained that he taunted Jacksonville cornerback Rashean Mathis by slapping him on the side of his helmet.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08291/920647-66.stm

Have I ever expressed the sentiment here that I think Goodell is a giant douchebag? About 1,000 times already? Well, make it 1,001 times, then. :mad:

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
The hit was clean and legal...of course Hines is gonna get fined for it...Goodell is still the commish, isn't he? :banging: :mad:

But I hope the kid recovers quickly...you hate to see any player get hurt.

Except for Lord Brady.

SCSTILLER
10-20-2008, 03:08 PM
:iagree:

TailgateMel
10-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Yep - completely trumped-up BS - he was fined for "taunting" as he slapped Mathis on the helmet.:

Next thing ya know.. they are gonna fine LT $5,000 for slapping Troy in the helmet in a commercial

:bs:

12+88=6
10-20-2008, 05:22 PM
did the guy on the ravens who hit fraizer from the side on the opening kickoff 3 games ago ever get fined? to me it looked like he launched himself into andre and made helmet to helmet contact to the side of his head and knocked him out cold. where was goodell on that one?

steelreserve
10-20-2008, 06:02 PM
did the guy on the ravens who hit fraizer from the side on the opening kickoff 3 games ago ever get fined? to me it looked like he launched himself into andre and made helmet to helmet contact to the side of his head and knocked him out cold. where was goodell on that one?

Crammed into a stall in the men's room with Tom Brady and John Madden.

fansince'76
10-20-2008, 06:04 PM

:yuck: :puke:

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
10-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Don't those kind of hits happen on almost every single Punt play at the NFL level all the way down to the PeeWee level?

it is a clean hit, that's why they always say, keep your eyes open.

Happens on reverses, or QB scrambles where the QB changes direction. Pretty sure some of our guys have been layed out with those hits.

Keep Fining Us...We Are Still Going To Hit You Harder!!!

Steelman16
10-21-2008, 01:27 AM

:rofl:

Omgosh, I spilled my drink!

[UPDATE: We’re told Rivers’ jaw is broken in two places. We hope he likes milkshakes.]

Make 'em all haveta slup milkshake's Ward! :thumbsup:

steelwall
10-21-2008, 01:40 AM
I think one member had a good idea. ......Lets start a Hines Fines drive. Collect money to pay his riduculous fines. Not that he doesnt have the money, but to show our support for him.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Was listening to Stan and Guy on ESPN this AM and one of the Ratbirds (don't remember which one ) was chirping about how he and his cell mates have a bounty on Wards head. Hmmm I dunno doesn't that constitute a fine for pre-meditation with the intent to do bodily harm? :noidea:

This crap is getting so tickey tackey freaking PLAY FOOTBALL.

steelwall
10-21-2008, 01:49 AM
Was listening to Stan and Guy on ESPN this AM and one of the Ratbirds (don't remember which one ) was chirping about how he and his mates have a bounty on Wards head. Hmmm I dunno doesn't that constitute a fine for pre-meditation with the intent to do bodily harm? :noidea:

I wonder why "Badall" doesnt take out fines on them for communicating threats?

steelpride12
10-21-2008, 02:10 AM
It was clean, i don't see any punishment occurring.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Was listening to Stan and Guy on ESPN this AM and one of the Ratbirds (don't remember which one ) was chirping about how he and his cell mates have a bounty on Wards head. Hmmm I dunno doesn't that constitute a fine for pre-meditation with the intent to do bodily harm? :noidea:

It was Terrell Suggs doing the chirping. What a pig. In the interview he said they also had a cash bounty on Mendenhall and we see what happened to him. The spineless "commissioner" needs to nip this in the bud like yesterday.