PDA

View Full Version : General Observations:

revefsreleets
10-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Zone Blocking: For those who weren't sure, it was pretty much announced today that, yes, we are now a zone blocking team. That is the polar opposite of Grimm's scheme, so it explains some things.

Jurassic Park: LeBeau probes with different blitzes during the game searching for weakness, just like the Raptors did in JP. Notice how when we needed stops, the blitzes (really well disguised) worked? They kept blitzing even when the Bungles went to 3 step drops (and conventional wisdom dictates we switch to a 3 man rush) just for that reason.

Best they had: The Bengals had a stretch where they played at or above their capabilities, and that netted out to 10 points a few stops defensively.

STFU: Leon Hall interfered with Ward in the endzone. Not called. Jonathon Joseph interfered with Hines Ward. Not called. Cincy ran into the kicker on 4th and 3 (5 yard penalty gets us a fresh set of downs). Not called. Ward and Tomlin questioning the league, with Troy's criticism added in is NOT going to help us get calls.

Preacher
10-19-2008, 06:58 PM
I am scared.

Just how good could we be? Our offense left what, 14 or 21 points on the field... and we STILL put up 38 points. 38!!!

now yes, it was against the Bungles. But still... WOW.

Also...

Again, YES, it was against the Bungles. But there were places where our line looked VERY good today.

stillers4me
10-19-2008, 07:07 PM
I am scared.

Just how good could we be? Our offense left what, 14 or 21 points on the field... and we STILL put up 38 points. 38!!!

Also...

Again, YES, it was against the Bungles. But there were places where our line looked VERY good today.

I agree.......and I hope our team sees it, too. A little fine tuning here and there, some good luck on the injury issue and wow.

Half the world thinks we stole Superbowl XL.. Now we have a "dirty player" and everybody is out to get us.

We are primed for the big one. :drink:

WWIIOwheelz
10-19-2008, 07:09 PM
I am scared.

Also...

Agreed. I sweated the 1st & Goal on the 3 for quite awhile today, but then the points just kept coming.

Our pass rush is positively fearsome this year. Nice to see Timmons getting some sloppy seconds today!

revefsreleets
10-19-2008, 07:36 PM
I want to expound upon one point that even the announcers made.

When the Bengals went to the quick release 3 step drop, the Steelers stayed in the blitz mode for a couple series, and also played the DB's WAY off the LOS. There were three reasons for this.

1) The Bengals have a young QB, and when you go to a west coast type 3 step drop O it requires really good timing and execution. The natural assumption is that they will fail and not put together the required drive of many plays gaining a few yards each.
2) By staying in pressure mode, the Steelers put their faith in their secondary that they would bend, not break. What was the yardage on the Bungles longest completion today?
3) By continuing to probe, when the Bengals were forced to pass down the field (i.e. 5-7 step drops), Lebeau had all the info he needed to really disrupt their passing game.

This game is chess, not checkers, and that's why casual observers who say retarded things like "The DB's suck because they are giving a 10 yards cushion" aren't really worth even addressing. They don't understand the subtle nuances of the game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Zone Blocking: For those who weren't sure, it was pretty much announced today that, yes, we are now a zone blocking team. That is the polar opposite of Grimm's scheme, so it explains some things.

Here is a good description of zone blocking.

Each linemen reaches a spot or zone where he stands up a defender, normally blocking him around the armpits, or runs him into fellow blocked defenders to produce momentary gridlock; then he moves onto a next defender rather than stay with his "man." This creates gaps through which a running back, or a running quarterback, can squirt and then cut back against the flow.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06302/733956-144.stm

Here is a video link where the Texans zone block is explained by Chester Pitts. http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d808411b4
the Texans Alex Gibbs is the godfather of zone blocking

Here is another video where Clinton Portis shows a Broncos zone block scheme. As you will see all the blockers take a step one way and block in unison......there is no pulling.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d808feaf1

The Mewelde Moore TD where Stapleton pulled is not a zone block scheme. Any pull involving Kemoateu, the center or a lead blocker like McHugh, Davis, Miller is not a zone block. I see some elements of zone block, but not much in the Steelers O line play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Agreed. I sweated the 1st & Goal on the 3 for quite awhile today, but then the points just kept coming.

Our pass rush is positively fearsome this year. !

I agree....but the points didnt come until the 4th quarter. It was Steelers 17- Bengals 10 after 3 quarters despite outplaying the Bengals most of the game. I think the fact that we passed 3 times from the 3 yard line and failed to convert a few 3rd and 3's showed the weakness of not being able to get the tough yards.

The things I really saw were
1. The Steelers defense was suffocating for the most, but Benson had some good runs due to the absence of Hampton.
2. The Steelers showed the ability to get yardage in chunks, but inability to grind out the tough yards on 3rd downs and goal line. (needed to see more McHugh in the backfield blocking.)
3. The Bengals D-line was horrible. No wonder they only have 5 sacks all season.(actually 4 sacks...their SS has the other) I am an O-line honk.....but can only say they played average against a BAD bengals D line.

The Steelers were clearly a better team, but for 3 quarters, they let a bad team hang around. The final score really exaggerated this performance. I hope this was just a case of knocking the rust off from the bye week. Luckily the Giants arent as good as their record indicates and we should be able to handle them at home.

stillers4me
10-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Luckily the Giants arent as good as their record indicates and we should be able to handle them at home.

The Giants have beaten the Redskins, the Bungles, the Rams, the Seahawks and the 49'ers. They lost to the Brown's. They aren't anywhere near as good as their record.

We can beat them.

steelwall
10-19-2008, 11:18 PM
The Giants have beaten the Redskins, the Bungles, the Rams, the Seahawks and the 49'ers. They lost to the Brown's. They aren't anywhere near as good as their record.

We can beat them.

Agreed, we most certainly beat them.

MasterOfPuppets
10-20-2008, 12:19 AM

We can beat them.but yet they're still going to be the best team the steelers have faced so far.when the Giants are clicking, they're a very dangerous team, and can put a whoopin on anyone. just like the steelers , they play good games, they play sloppy games.lets just hope the sloppy G-men come to the burg next week.

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-20-2008, 04:15 AM
"Zone blocking" has been perverted to mean impressive blocking or good blocking. I wasn't overly impressed with the announcer's today. Watching our O-linemen they seem confused sometimes, but not based on a zone blocks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-20-2008, 10:02 AM
"Zone blocking" has been perverted to mean impressive blocking or good blocking. I wasn't overly impressed with the announcer's today. Watching our O-linemen they seem confused sometimes, but not based on a zone blocks.

Actually, one interesting pass protection scheme was that Starks, Kemo, Hartwig all blocked the guy to the right of them and Stapleton pulled left to take the DE that lined up over Starks. They used it on the TD to Nate and a long diving comeback pass to Holmes.

I dont think they looked confused, they just played down to the Bengals level of competition. The Bengals D-line coach should be canned. The front 4 was without any energy or agressiveness.

SteelMember
10-20-2008, 10:03 AM
I think the team played pretty well overall.

The 3rd and shorts we didn't convert concern me the most. Although we dominated the first three quarters of play, it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard. We need to keep moving the chains, especially in those short yardage situations. I read some PG articles this morning and Ben seemed to have the say on some of those calls, so I don't think anyone should start the Arians sucks threads this morning.

Lebeau's defense was going good. You knew he was gonna blitz the kid and force him to make quick decisions. I would have just liked Townsend to do more when his number was called to rush. He seemed to get eaten up every time.

Ike played a very good game. He pretty much shut down the deep routes on his side and even batted a few away. Which makes me think of our deep game. At the moment I was thinking to myself that Ben hadn't challenged anything down the field, there was the pass to Washington...right on time.

Leftoverhard
10-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Nice Dinosaur analogy - It's funny how useful Jurassic Park raptors can be.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2008, 10:44 AM
I dont think they looked confused, they just played down to the Bengals level of competition. .

:rofl::rofl::rofl: