PDA

View Full Version : More McCain camp "strategy"???

tony hipchest
10-20-2008, 08:23 PM
you know what they say about "dissention amongst the ranks".

Palin breaks with McCain on gay marriage amendment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081020/ap_on_el_pr/palin_gay_marriage

NEW YORK – Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin says she supports a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, a break with John McCain who has said he believes states should be left to define what marriage is. In an interview with Christian Broadcasting Network, the Alaska governor said she had voted in 1998 for a state amendment banning same sex marriage and hoped to see a federal ban on such unions.

"I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that's where we would go. I don't support gay marriage," Palin said. She said she believed traditional marriage is the foundation for strong families.

Palin also reaffirmed her view that Obama had been "palling around with terrorists" because of his association with Bill Ayers, a 1960s-era radical who helped found the violent Weather Underground group to protest the Vietnam war. The group was responsible for bombings of several government buildings.

"I would say it again," she said.

personally, im against gay "marriage". call it a "legal union" or something, but just as 2 homosexual couples wouldnt wanna be called "man & wife" dont call their legal union a marriage.

with that being said, i strongly feel the word "gay" or homosexual" have no place in the sacred document known as the US Constitution.

but my personal views are besides the point. who exactly is in charge of this GOP campaign? is this just a stunt to draw attention and to further hammer home the rebellious "maverick" side of sarah palin? if so, its getting tired. if not, i really feel sorry for mccain, cause it seems like palin is just "happy to be there" and stress her own personal agenda (and of course reap the celebritydom i.e. lame SNL gigs.)

i get the feeling she will be more than happy to lose this election and take her newfound fame back home to alaska.

its quite a shame as i always felt mccain deserved better than that.

hey john.... even "bulldogs" with lipstick need a leash.

Preacher
10-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Nevermind...

I aint getting involved in these anymore. Your hatred for her is telling.

augustashark
10-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Let it go dude! You are flaming bad.

tony hipchest
10-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Nevermind...

I aint getting involved in these anymore. Your hatred for her is telling.personal feelings aside, do you think this is good strategy to keep breaking "camp"? do you disagree with the dissention amongst the ranks? or is it strategy?

Preacher
10-20-2008, 09:45 PM
personal feelings aside, do you think this is good strategy to keep breaking "camp"? do you disagree with the dissention amongst the ranks? or is it strategy?

Neither, it is her personal feelings. I find it refreshing that she is allowed to express her feelings even if they don't agree with McCain.

tony hipchest
10-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Neither, it is her personal feelings. I find it refreshing that she is allowed to express her feelings even if they don't agree with McCain.
mccain camp allowing her to express her own personal feelings = strategy.

ok. thats all i was asking. thanks. :thumbsup:

:drink:

cubanstogie
10-20-2008, 11:48 PM

Is it always about strategy, can't two running mates differ on some stances. I agree its refreshing to hear a straight answer from someone. I bet she has strong feelings about illegals as well, contrary to Obama and McCain giving them amnesty. Biden and Obama had differences in primary, I'm sure they worked them out and agree on everything now.

tony hipchest
10-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Is it always about strategy, can't two running mates differ on some stances. I agree its refreshing to hear a straight answer from someone. I bet she has strong feelings about illegals as well, contrary to Obama and McCain giving them amnesty. Biden and Obama had differences in primary, I'm sure they worked them out and agree on everything now.
well, im not too concerned about canadians crossing over into alaska as US/canada is the largest unproteced boarder in the world.

but youre right. in order to win, it is always about strategy.

is allowing palin to seemingly "wear the pants" in this campaign the appropriate strategy to take? :noidea: because dissention in the ranks is never good.

im just asking for opinions here....

Borski
10-21-2008, 12:50 AM

The Obama camp sure seems to be letting Biden express his opinions about Obama's qualifications, or lack of.

The attacks are getting old, Obama has most likely won anyways, let it go.

steelwall
10-21-2008, 12:57 AM
And Biden hasent broke away from Obama with crazy remarks? Come on Toney.... you will NOT change a single opinion on this board. Minds are made up....

This seemingly large group of people who havent made up their minds ...IMO does not exist on that scale.

And especially words from a football site, try a political board, perhaps there you can change the minds of 100's of thousands, but from what I've seen here on this board. Minds are dead set. Not that Im against political discussion but, really, here, it's a waste of finger energy.

revefsreleets
10-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Well, now, let's see...she has one opinion, and he has another. Are they supposed to be in complete lockstep? Is she supposed to be a "mini-me' version of McCain? Nope.

This is less than a non-issue.

HometownGal
10-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Don't know if one could label Sarah's difference in opinion with McCain as "strategy". I think it's more Sarah speaking her mind based on her core beliefs and I see nothing wrong with that. It isn't carved in stone that running mates should agree 100% with each other 100% of the time.

Hmmmm - seems that Biden spoke his mind on his "core beliefs", as well. :chuckle: Strategy, I suppose? :noidea: Wonder if Biden agrees with Obama's stance that illegals should be given drivers' licenses too?

revefsreleets
10-21-2008, 08:20 AM
The Obama faithful remind me a lot of Jan Brady and how she was always "reporting" on what Marsha was doing...

"I saw Sarah Palin, and she was SMOKING!!!!!!"

tony hipchest
10-21-2008, 08:28 AM
:rofl: "jan brady" -classic! :yawn:

i guess discussing strategy is below you all. :rolleyes:

thats ok, wave your white flags. i still think mccain has a glimmer of hope if his camp can quit screwing it up every step of the way.

GBMelBlount
10-21-2008, 08:37 AM
The other thing I am wondering is where Obama and Biden stand on Partial Birth Abortion. From the little I know, I think Obama has been against the banning of the partial vaginally delivery a living fetus before killing the fetus and completing the delivery. I'm not sure Biden has been in lockstep with Obama on this. So are they unified at this point? Also, if they are or aren't, could that be part of a strategy perhaps? Just curious...

tony hipchest
10-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Also, if they are or aren't, could that be part of a strategy perhaps? Just curious...obama camp's strategy is sound and well defined. any differences between him and biden are nothing more than a blip on the radar.

however, mccains campaign is erratic and all over the map, full of gimmics and trick plays. unification and solidarity should be key.

im not the first one to think mccains camp shouldve been fired. this here is just another example.

GBMelBlount
10-21-2008, 09:44 AM
obama camp's strategy is sound and well defined. any differences between him and biden are nothing more than a blip on the radar.

You're right Tony, especially on the important issues as stated by Colin Powell:

He (Powell) backed Obama:

"because of his ability to inspire"
"because of the inclusive nature of his campaign"
"because he's reaching out all across America"
"because of who he is."
"I think he is a transformational figure"
"His is a new generation coming ... onto the world stage, American stage."

Wow, that sure is sound and well defined.

And as far as minor issues, if I can simply get past the trillion dollars in new taxes on the job creators to get us out of this crisis and that more massive and controlling government will create more jobs, prosperity and capitalism theory, then I think I maybe able to pull the lever in support of this cohesive unit on the left. :thumbsup:

Fortunately, most of America, like Colin Powell, will probably vote for Obama/Biden for all the right reasons.

revefsreleets
10-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Strategy? This is just her giving her views. Do you think McCain has a gag order on her or something?

This isn't a strategy, so there's nothing to discuss, unless, of course, you want to talk about the issues.

I'm for gay marriage. They aren't. I'm still voting for them. As Forrest Gump liked to say, "That's all I have to say about that".

cubanstogie
10-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Strategy? This is just her giving her views. Do you think McCain has a gag order on her or something?

This isn't a strategy, so there's nothing to discuss, unless, of course, you want to talk about the issues.

I'm for gay marriage. They aren't. I'm still voting for them. As Forrest Gump liked to say, "That's all I have to say about that".

I believe this gay marriage crap is actually hurting the gays in this country. It appears they are forcing this down are throats and and want to be treated the same as a regular couple. Guess what, they are not regular couples. Call a spade a spade. I am a prime example, I have a high school friend who is gay and never thought anything negative about being gay. Now I am to the point where I have no compassion for them. I know people think this is not a big issue, I disagree. Yes on prob 8 in CA. For the record I am for health benefits, visitation rights, and other benefits for them that married couples receive, I just don't think its a marriage.

Preacher
10-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I believe this gay marriage crap is actually hurting the gays in this country. It appears they are forcing this down are throats and and want to be treated the same as a regular couple. Guess what, they are not regular couples. Call a spade a spade. I am a prime example, I have a high school friend who is gay and never thought anything negative about being gay. Now I am to the point where I have no compassion for them. I know people think this is not a big issue, I disagree. Yes on prob 8 in CA. For the record I am for health benefits, visitation rights, and other benefits for them that married couples receive, I just don't think its a marriage.

Interesting... you bring up prop 8.

I am voting for it... not to limit marriage, but specifically to limit the abuse of the legal system. A law was passed, and the judge overturned it. The only way to get the legal system in this state under control is to start to enshrine laws in the constitution itself so that the courts can't overturn them.

Here is interesting thing.

If prop 8 passes, I bet you it becomes a fed. issue, that the federal civil rights are being violated by the state constitution. That will go up through the 9th circuit court, which is NOTORIOUSLY LIBERAL... and wrong. NOTORIOUSLY. THey have been overturned numerous times. Far more than any other circuit court.

That will end up before the supreme court, which will issue a ruling. Such a ruling will have dire effects REGARDLESS of how it comes down, because it will either allow the state to make its own laws, thereby calling into question the "full faith and credit" clause of the constitution, or it will rule against gay marriage, or for it.. which is outside the bounds of the court IMO... it belongs in the legislature.

ARGH.

revefsreleets
10-22-2008, 08:01 AM
I agree with you about the 9th circuit court...and it's not even about them being liberal or conservative, it's that THAT court, more than any other in this country, legislates from the bench. They are not interpretting law, they are creating their own. That's not right...

As far as gay marriage, I don't think the institution is all that sacred or important to begin with (in fact i think it's a little archaic and has served it's purpose), so letting gays get married is no big deal to me.

As far as them pushing so hard for it, one straight mans trash is another gay mans treasure, so to speak...or for another analogy, when I was 18 all I could think about was turning 21 so I could legally buy alcohol. Now that I can, I don't give it a thought...

tony hipchest
10-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Strategy? This is just her giving her views.

This isn't a strategy, so there's nothing to discuss,".

“Is Palin making plans for 2012?” So asks Andrew Romano of Newsweek. “I ask,” he writes, “because she’s contradicted John McCain on a number of subjects in recent weeks–and every contradiction seems calibrated to preserve (or even enhance) her standing with the Republican base should the Arizona senator lose on Nov. 4.” Romano cites Sarah Palin’s comments that she wouldn’t have bailed out of Michigan, that she’d like the campaign to be raising the comments of Rev. Jeremiah Wright, that she prefers a constitutional ban on gay marriage, and that she wouldn’t be making campaign robocalls to voters. “Maybe I’m crazy.” Romano writes. “But doesn’t it sort of seem like Palin’s saying, Hey Republicans: don’t blame me if this guy loses?… In short, Palin would’ve been more of a culture warrior than McCain and less a product of the past–an ‘authentic’ social conservative, but also a breath of fresh air. At least according to Palin.”

legitimate question.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/stumper/archive/2008/10/22/is-palin-making-plans.aspx

If the GOP ticket loses--which isn't a given--we should expect a 2012 primary battle defined largely by right-wing, populist, grassroots anger toward the relatively moderate McCain (and toward the conservative elites that either pushed for his nomination or defected to Obama). Given her popularity with the base--and all this preemptive distancing stuff--Palin could conceivably ride that rage to the top of the primary pile. Of all the possible 2012ers, she clearly has the largest, most ardent following. The question is whether she could overcome the Tina Fey Factor and cobble together a political majority outside the GOP.

oh and the robocalls are just the latest disaster to backfire.