PDA

View Full Version : McFadden has surgery, out at least five games

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-21-2008, 05:14 AM
Steelers Notebook: McFadden has surgery, out at least five games
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Cornerback Bryant McFadden will miss at least five games with a broken forearm, injured in the fourth quarter Sunday against the Bengals.

McFadden had surgery on his arm yesterday morning.

McFadden arrived at the Steelers' training site yesterday with his right arm in a sling and what appeared to be a soft cast. He was injured on the same play in which safety Troy Polamalu left with a head injury.

Doctors likely will want to evaluate Polamalu as the week goes on. Coach Mike Tomlin said Sunday night that Polamalu was "dinged" after his helmet flew off his head when he hit Cincinnati Bengals running back Cedric Benson.

Polamalu has had at least six concussions playing high school, college and pro football, most recently Nov. 12, 2006 against New Orleans.

Deshea Townsend likely will return to start at left cornerback, where he began the season, and William Gay would move up as the nickel back because of McFadden's injury.

When Polamalu left the game in Cincinnati, veteran Tyrone Carter replaced him.

Sack attack
James Harrison is tied with former Steelers linebacker Joey Porter for second in the NFL with 8.5 sacks, one spot behind DeMarcus Ware (9.0) of Dallas. LaMarr Woodley is fourth with 7.5.

Harrison, Woodley and Lawrence Timmons had two sacks apiece in the seven-sack onslaught of Cincinnati quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

"They are really tough up front," Fitzpatrick said. "I kept saying throughout the week that they were relentless. That's what people were telling me. That's what I could see on film and they are. At the end of the game they pinned their ears back and came after us. They are definitely a good defense. There is a reason why they are consistently in the top five or 10 in the league every year."

Bengals: Good hit
Not all of the Bengals thought Hines Ward's block that broke linebacker Keith Rivers' jaw was illegal.

"It's part of the game," Cincinnati linebacker Brandon Johnson said. "It was a good block. If I was in Hines Ward's shoes, I probably would have taken the same shot. You can't really blame him. But like I said, if he was playing quarterback, then there would have been a flag."

Quick hits
The Steelers have allowed 89 points, second fewest in the NFL only to Tennessee's 66. ... They rank No. 1 on defense, allowing 228.3 yards per game -- No. 1 against the pass at 158.7 and No. 2 against the run at 69.7. ... Kicker Jeff Reed is 10 of 10 on field-goal attempts, one of only four kickers in the league perfect on every try with at least 10 made
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08295/921511-66.stm

HometownGal
10-21-2008, 08:34 AM
This sucks, but we do have a veteran corner waiting in the wings in Townsend so I think we'll be OK.

Get Well Soon B-Mac - we're gonna need you down the stretch! :drink:

tony hipchest
10-21-2008, 08:45 AM
horrible!

this wont kill us but it definitely doesnt help.

heres to gay, stepping it up. (and us maybe signing mcfadden a little cheaper after the season) :cheers:

NyGiantz
10-21-2008, 09:18 AM
How has he played for you guys this year? Is it a huge loss or just a blip?

STEELtownHAVOX
10-21-2008, 09:24 AM
B-Mac is on a contract year and was playing really well. Deshea should fill back in nicely though.

Fire Haley
10-21-2008, 11:06 AM
This totally sucks.

Townsend was sitting on the bench for a reason, and with Troy hurt too that means Lord Tyrone will out there missing tackles.

Great - just great.

LVSteelersfan
10-21-2008, 11:12 AM
So Anthony Smith is so much in the doghouse, he isn't even getting a chance? I know he gets burnt once in awhile, but he has got to be better than Tyrone Carter. I didn't get to see Tyrone play this weekend because I only saw the first half in bits and pieces. Did he play all right?

steelreserve
10-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Hey, this is why it was a good thing that we had a sort of controversy at the CB spot going into the season. We've basically got three guys who could start, so we'll be OK here. Plus from what I've seen of Gay, he's got a lot of talent, so this could be a good opportunity for him.

Wonder where Smith fits in this. I'd hate to see them running Carter's sorry, no-potential-having ass out there again for any length of time. He's just a space filler, and we need to sit him the hell on the bench if we've got a potential up-and-coming guy, no matter how much of a loudmouth he is.

Fire Haley
10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
I like Gay.

MasterOfPuppets
10-21-2008, 11:52 AM
I like Gay.
not that there's anything worong with that ....... :puke:, but do you have to flaunt it here ? :toofunny::

steelpride12
10-21-2008, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=NyGiantz;458199]
B-Mac was originally our Nickel Corner and always played pretty good for us, But this season he has played much better and beat out Townsend, our second Corner, for his spot.
He was having his best season, and its tough to lose him for the tough part of the schedule.

Hines0wnz
10-22-2008, 12:44 AM
This is a bummer....the injuries this season are just amazing. Hopefully someone steps up again and gives the lift that B Fad usually does. :helmet:

Steelman16
10-22-2008, 01:03 AM
I think Gay will step it up as the nickel corner, but might have a tough time against the New York recievers.

Sucks that B-Mac is out. We'll be definitely needing him in 5 weeks.

Townsend is always the same, a solid but maybe not great player that is dependable.

Carter... Not looking forward to him. Can Anthony play the strong side?

chucoblack&gold
10-22-2008, 01:10 AM
we can look at it as counting on him when we get deep into the playoff picture ...... we'll be ok

stlrtruck
10-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Things will definitely be a challenge while we endure the injury bug...but we've done it before and we can do it again.

SteelMember
10-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Nickel is going to have to step up...and hopefully Clark will keep Tyrone in line.
I don't forsee any need for dime in this game. They will probably start out heavy on the run to establish jacobs and try and build on that.