PDA

View Full Version : Injury update

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-21-2008, 11:44 AM
From Tomlin's press conference updates on injury's

Parker back to practice, Troy will more than likely start on Sunday.

And they just reported that Rodney Harrison is out for the year with a torn knee quad :wave:

hizmi
10-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Good news about Troy

I'll be interested to see how they split the carries between Parker and Moore.

steelpride12
10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Great to see Troy is fine and he will recover for this week, and I still want Parker over Moore and hoping to see him back in action.

Fire Haley
10-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Polamalu likely to play Sunday
Tuesday, October 21, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin said today he expects safety Troy Polamalu to play against the New York Giants, even though the coach confirmed he sustained a concussion in the fourth quarter against Cincinnati.

"As of right now, we anticipate him playing," Tomlin said.

More good news for the Steelers: Nose tackle Casey Hampton and fullback Carey Davis also are expected to play Sunday against the Super Bowl champions, Tomlin said, and halfback Willie Parker will practice Wednesday and has improved since he reinjured his sprained left knee last Monday.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/08295/921578-100.stm

---------------------------

woo-hoo!

randy06
10-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Wooohooo we need everyone back this week i am stoked for the game lets go STEELERS!!!!

fansince'76
10-21-2008, 12:01 PM
I hope letting Troy play despite getting his bell rung won't come back to haunt us. I'd feel better if he sat this week, but then I'm not Tomlin or the team doctor.

Fire Haley
10-21-2008, 12:04 PM
run em all till the wheels fall off

Fire Haley
10-21-2008, 12:06 PM
From the Press conf ....

Out
Bryant McFadden – surgery on his arm yesterday. Plate inserted. He’ll be out for weeks.
Keyaron Fox – Hamstring

Questionable
Marvel Smith – Smith is progressing and will be re-evaluated on Wednesday
Dallas Baker – Shoulder injury, his status is up in the air

Probable
Willie Parker continues to progress. Slated to practice tomorrow.

Troy Polamalu – concussion, test were favorable. He could practice tomorrow and as of right now Tomlin anticipates Polamalu playing.

Carey Davis will practice, expected to play

Casey Hampton slated to practice on Wednesday, expected to play

hizmi
10-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Getting hampton back for this week is crucial. They have the best run-blocking line in football, and Jacobs can be an absolute beast when he gets a head of steam.

I'm really really anxious to see how our run defense, which hasn't really been challenged this year, holds up against the best the league has to offer.

Dino 6 Rings
10-21-2008, 12:09 PM
It'll be interesting to see how our defense stacks up against a run heavy offense like the giants.

stlrtruck
10-21-2008, 12:10 PM
With the news about Hampton coming back has anyone else thought about switching it up from 3-4 to 4-3 and put Hoke up front with Hampton?

Not every play but specifically on long yardage and more than likely run plays??? With the speed of our LBs, it could benefit having two guys up there that can handle double teams or get a mad rush up the middle forcing the play into the outside, right into the arms of the waiting LB.

Fire Haley
10-21-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm really really anxious to see how our run defense, which hasn't really been challenged this year, holds up against the best the league has to offer.

Jags.....Fred Taylor/Jones-Drew...combined 15 carries for 26 yds.

I'd say they met the challenge.

Dino 6 Rings
10-21-2008, 12:15 PM
With the news about Hampton coming back has anyone else thought about switching it up from 3-4 to 4-3 and put Hoke up front with Hampton?

Not every play but specifically on long yardage and more than likely run plays??? With the speed of our LBs, it could benefit having two guys up there that can handle double teams or get a mad rush up the middle forcing the play into the outside, right into the arms of the waiting LB.

I think the deal with Hampton is that he excels at stuffing the run, hence his presence in short yardage situations. then when we need speed, he comes out.

that is one reason we get killed by draws. running plays against our faster d-line that will tend to overpursue in its rush to the QB.

hizmi
10-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Jags.....Fred Taylor/Jones-Drew...combined 15 carries for 26 yds.

I'd say they met the challenge.

It was a minor challenge...Jags rank 12th in rushing, and aren't nearly as strong on the ground as they were last year.

Baltimore has the best running game that we've seen so far, and they started to wear us down as the game went on....of course we didn't have hampton or keisel so take from that what you will...

hizmi
10-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Hampton's strength is holding the point of attack and absorbing double teams, not collapsing the middle of the pocket.

Even if he was good at it, I still think we're better off sitting him on obvious pass downs to keep him fresh and protect him from injuries. He's too important to our run defense and it's not like we're unable to pressure the QB right now...

memphissteelergirl
10-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I hope letting Troy play despite getting his bell rung won't come back to haunt us. I'd feel better if he sat this week, but then I'm not Tomlin or the team doctor.

:iagree:

moedap
10-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Troy P should sit this game out. I am agreeing with Paulsen, Logan, and Crews opinion that should we lose because he sits so be it.

steelpride12
10-21-2008, 02:15 PM

Our LB Corps holds this defense tough, and switching to a 4-3 would cause would cause one of the LB's to sit on the sideline and i think with the way our defense is playing now, lets keep the 3-4.

Edman
10-21-2008, 02:26 PM
It was a minor challenge...Jags rank 12th in rushing, and aren't nearly as strong on the ground as they were last year.

Baltimore has the best running game that we've seen so far, and they started to wear us down as the game went on....of course we didn't have hampton or keisel so take from that what you will...

Jacksonville ran roughshod through the Steelers Defense in December last year. I don't care how they look now, Jacksonville's two headed monster is still one to be respected.

Baltimore gave us trouble, but then, they always give us trouble. That's what a tough rival does. Their running game couldn't do crap against freakin' Indy the following week.

Pittsburgh contained Brian Westbrook and limited the Eagles O to 7 points.

Jacobs/Bradshaw/Ward will be a great test, but to say the Steelers D hasn't been tested yet is silly.

Makaveli
10-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I hope letting Troy play despite getting his bell rung won't come back to haunt us. I'd feel better if he sat this week,

Exactly, especially in light of the fact that he's had like what,...five(concussions) since high school ? Troy's a warrior and i know that he can handle it. And i'm sure that Tomlin is a competitor to some degree.

But in all honesty i would be more concerned for the future quality of life of my players even to the possible detriment of the team for one game were i in his (Tomlin's) position.

stlrtruck
10-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Our LB Corps holds this defense tough, and switching to a 4-3 would cause would cause one of the LB's to sit on the sideline and i think with the way our defense is playing now, lets keep the 3-4.

I hear what your saying but what I'm thinking is that you would now have two men possibly taking up four from the O-Line, leaving a RB to either block or release. With the speed of our LB and what I will call a dull pass rush (meaning only allowing the front 4 to rush), push the LBs to cover flats and middle - if the QB takes off he'll be crushed, considering the speed of the two outside linemen.

But it's just my thought. I think to throw it into the wrinkle of a defensive scheme would be cool. Especially on high percentage rushing downs.

But that's just me. Probably why I sit here all day long wishing I could coach in the NFL! :noidea:

klick81
10-21-2008, 03:46 PM

I second this!

jjpro11
10-21-2008, 05:20 PM
please dont rush troy back. i'll take a loss sunday over a shortened polamalu career any day.

hizmi
10-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Jacksonville ran roughshod through the Steelers Defense in December last year. I don't care how they look now, Jacksonville's two headed monster is still one to be respected.

Baltimore gave us trouble, but then, they always give us trouble. That's what a tough rival does. Their running game couldn't do crap against freakin' Indy the following week.

Pittsburgh contained Brian Westbrook and limited the Eagles O to 7 points.

Jacobs/Bradshaw/Ward will be a great test, but to say the Steelers D hasn't been tested yet is silly.

JAX is decimated with injuries on the O-line. They still have a good running game, but not a great one, hence minor challenge.

Baltimore couldn't run against Indy because they fell behind too quickly.

Westbrook left the game early with an injury.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-21-2008, 06:38 PM
please dont rush troy back. i'll take a loss sunday over a shortened polamalu career any day.

Listneing to ESPN 1250 and they were interviewing Merl Hodge, he said Troy's last concussion was Feb 2006 and he was cleared to play the next week. Merl said there is no way they would let him play if there was any problems. I trust the doctors know what they are doing. The Steelers have been compiling concussion data long before it's become the concern it has.

stillers4me
10-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Listneing to ESPN 1250 and they were interviewing Merl Hodge, he said Troy's last concussion was Feb 2006 and he was cleared to play the next week. Merl said there is no way they would let him play if there was any problems. I trust the doctors know what they are doing. The Steelers have been compiling concussion data long before it's become the concern it has.

Like MIke Mike Webster's autopsy report? :coffee:

steelpride12
10-21-2008, 08:56 PM
I hear what your saying but what I'm thinking is that you would now have two men possibly taking up four from the O-Line, leaving a RB to either block or release. With the speed of our LB and what I will call a dull pass rush (meaning only allowing the front 4 to rush), push the LBs to cover flats and middle - if the QB takes off he'll be crushed, considering the speed of the two outside linemen.

But it's just my thought. I think to throw it into the wrinkle of a defensive scheme would be cool. Especially on high percentage rushing downs.

But that's just me. Probably why I sit here all day long wishing I could coach in the NFL! :noidea:

I see what you mean with the 4 DL rushing the passer, but we are built i think around the speed from the OLB's right now, and having them playing coverage or not being in at at would def. be a problem, and i don't see it happening, but hey good thought!:thumbsup:

OB_Steelers
10-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Does anyone else think that 7 concussions for Troy is to much and something to worry about?
Not saying that I want to seem him quit playing for the Steelers anytime soon but these concussions can lead to some serious problems later in life and the longer he plays the more concussions he will get.

fansince'76
10-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Does anyone else think that 7 concussions for Troy is to much and something to worry about?

Yep. But I'm just going to try to enjoy watching him play while he's there.

steelwall
10-21-2008, 11:00 PM
3-4 suits our personell best. After all the old saying "don't fix what aint broke" we now have the #! defense in the league.

To me a 3-4 defense is harder to plan for, you never know who is dropping back or who is rushing the QB.

We ran 3-4 through high school and college it worked very well for us.

jjpro11
10-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Not saying that I want to seem him quit playing for the Steelers anytime soon but these concussions can lead to some serious problems later in life and the longer he plays the more concussions he will get.

it is too many.. which leads me to believe that he could very well call it quits once his contract is up. i wouldnt have a problem with it one bit either even if he has plenty of good playing years to go. he is not your average football player, he has a brain, and i dont think he wants to lose it to football.