PDA

View Full Version : After today's game

Prosdo
12-04-2005, 06:54 PM
After today's game I started thinking about the holes we have on our team that need to be addressed this offseason. Granted I know we are still in the wildcard race, but anyways. One area that is big for me is the WR. I think the Steelers offense is missing the big target Plaxico brought. He stretched the field and opened up the running game. I think we need to get another tall fast deep threat on our team. Quincy Morgan and Nate Washington have both looked good when they played though. Quincy impressed me today and I'm surprised we didn't see him more. The second position is the RB. You have to figure Jerome Bettis is probably retiring after this season and Duce Staley is pretty injury-proned. He is good when healthy, but him being healthy seems rare. I really like Willie Parker, but I still think we need a big power runningback to compliment him. I think it would make a great 1-2 punch. My third position is DE. Kimo is getting up there and couldn't hurt to pick up a DE. Also I think the OL needs help. Not sure who all is to fault. Kendall Simmons hasn't been playing well, but stepped up today. Chris Kemoeatu is there incase something happens. We could possibly go for a Tackle, but not sure. Just thoughts after the last few weeks of play where we are lacking. What's everyone elses opinion?

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2005, 06:56 PM
I am thinking If Michael Robinson is willing to be a QB/WR/RB Like he is at PSU. He might be good to pickup in the Draft.

Prosdo
12-04-2005, 06:58 PM
I think Cleve brought that up in the draft section of the message board. What's the stats on him?

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2005, 07:03 PM
The offense has holes but the defense needs linebackers - the problems with pass defense appear to be tied mostly to the lack of pressure on the QB.

As is always the case when a season unravels, problems appear to be almost everywhere. WR, OL, and LB are the draft priorities for me.

That having been said, remember when the rest of the team was supposedly carrying Ben and his exhibition game perfomances were so disturbing? We have our franchise QB, which only New England, Indy, Cincy (yeah - Palmer is the real deal), and the Steelers can say that in the AFC. When you get that question answered, most everything else can be worked out.

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Robinson Rushing

Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
146 892 107 785 5.4 11 39 71.4

Robinson Passing

Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
129.39 272-141-9 51.8 2097 16 59 190.6

Nothing known on his Receving.

Prosdo
12-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Our LB's have been pretty quiet this year. Clark started off great but got injuried. Joey hasn't seemed like the pro bowl linebacker were use to.

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Aggreed Prosdo. Someone like AZ Looks Good till fill our Defensive Back Field

SteelersNation7
12-04-2005, 07:13 PM
I've said the same thing we need a big time widereciever and a great back.
I also will go on record and say we need a change at the top also....Cowher has done a good job with us over the years but he has taken us as far as we are going to go.....it's time to change.

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2005, 07:15 PM
I've said the same thing we need a big time widereciever and a great back.
I also will go on record and say we need a change at the top also....Cowher has done a good job with us over the years but he has taken us as far as we are going to go.....it's time to change.

I hate to admit it. If he keeps this up Dan You may want to think about Firing or at least Giving bill a warning about what he has been doing and if the mighty chuck knoll is still living and wants to coach again. BRING HIM TO PITTSBURGH TO WIN THE ONE FOR THE THUMB!

Prosdo
12-04-2005, 07:19 PM
I like Bill Cowher. I really do, but I have to wonder what's going on. He is a great motivater, but it seems we lack good game plans sometimes. Maybe thats just me. I also think the RB trio could be used better.

Prosdo
12-04-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm still liking Ben Roethlisberger's former Miami of Ohio teammate.

Martin Nance WR 6’5 210 Miami(OH)
By: Robert Davis

When people started to take notice of Ben Roethlisberger his junior year, people had no choice but to notice Big Ben’s top target, sophomore Martin Nance. He absolutely exploded onto the college football map that year with 90 catches for 1,498 yards and 11 touchdowns. As a junior, he was off to another fast start. In the first four games of the 2004 season, Nance had 25 catches for 337 yards, and a touchdown. On the first play of the 5th game that season however, Nance injured his knee and missed the rest of the season.

Martin Nance is a flat out playmaker. At 6’5, with great athleticism, and jumping ability, he is nearly unstoppable in one on one situations. He’s not just big though, he has very good straight-line speed. He can get deep, and won’t be caught if he gets a step on you. Some people questioned if his success in 2003 was due to Roethlisberger, but he showed early on in 2004, and has shown again this year that he is a talent.

Even though he is showing he is back from the knee injury in 2004, it is something teams will look into. Even though the MAC has gained some respect nationally, it still is not the most talented conference out there. With just over two years of experience on the field, he has not faced the most talented corners in college.

Nance fits the mold of the big, tall, athletic receiver teams have become enamored with lately. He has all the talent to be a star at the next level. With no true superstar at wide receiver, Nance could really move up in the post season. With his size and natural athletic gifts, he could end up being the first wideout selected in April.

Link: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/martin_nance.html

Koopa
12-04-2005, 08:09 PM
i think we need to draft a big back, i just realized lendale white is a junior and if he's smart he'll stay one more year to pick up his draft status. so now i have no idea who the running backs are in the draft are....... i wouldn't mind drafting big bens old teammate. but we need to work on the o-line, d-line, and rb postion first imo because we got heath to be that big target and if we'd use ARE or wilson more they could probably stretch the field more too.

Tim
12-04-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure if he's going pro yet or not, but USC's third receiver, Steve Smith I think, is another receiver in the Hines Ward mold.

I don't think we need the deep threat. After seeing the last bunch of passes thrown by Ben deep, none of which were terribly accurate, I think what'd be better is some good, route-running receivers to cover the middle of the field.

We also need to work on TE routes. Last week in that Giants game, Shockey was open in the middle on every play. I'm betting Heath Miller could be the same kind of reciever if we played him that way.

What we need in the off-season is to acquire some decent offensive linemen. We always seem to have a couple that are good, and then a couple that are our Achillles heel.

We have some talent that just has to start playing better. Some of them are rookies or 2nd year guys that have to learn to start bringing their A games.

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure if he's going pro yet or not, but USC's third receiver, Steve Smith I think, is another receiver in the Hines Ward mold.

I don't think we need the deep threat. After seeing the last bunch of passes thrown by Ben deep, none of which were terribly accurate, I think what'd be better is some good, route-running receivers to cover the middle of the field.

We also need to work on TE routes. Last week in that Giants game, Shockey was open in the middle on every play. I'm betting Heath Miller could be the same kind of reciever if we played him that way.

What we need in the off-season is to acquire some decent offensive linemen. We always seem to have a couple that are good, and then a couple that are our Achillles heel.

We have some talent that just has to start playing better. Some of them are rookies or 2nd year guys that have to learn to start bringing their A games.

Well, let's just assume Ben will not always be playing with a broken thumb.

Are you saying Ben will never be a credible deep passer and that we should therefore not attempt to develop a deep threat receiver?

IMO drafting another possession receiver is way down the list of needs of this team.

Prosdo
12-04-2005, 09:02 PM
I agree with Dan here. We have a lot of possession receivers right now. But not that big deep threat that opens the field up.

Tim
12-04-2005, 09:19 PM
It's not that I think he can't do it, it's that it's not really a strength of our team. It's not something that we do even a few times per game. I'd hate to blow money on some high priced receiver that comprises less than 5% of our offense.

We've always at least tried to be a methodical, clock-controlling offense, rather than one that tries to grab up yards in big chunks. Yeah, it's nice to see that from time to time, but it's not something we're going to do every game.

figg
12-04-2005, 09:45 PM
No doubt we need a big WR and a RB. The most glaring hole is a pass rushing DE/LB though. We havent had on in a long time. Would be nice to get a sack without having to blitz. In the draft I'd go best available at those three positions. Kemo should start getting some burn too.

Rotorhead
12-05-2005, 05:59 AM
I am not so sure we need to upgrade our line, we have Essex and Kemo coming up, we have one big injury right now, but Essex is getting a handle it seems. We need a big RB for sure, and some help with the OLB and DLine position IMO. Our corners are young and improving every game. I think Parker can carry the load next year but will need a good backup/3rd down back (maybe Staley can fill that role), because we may start opening up the passing a bit after last nights performance and that should make things easier for a Parker kind of runner.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Kimo may retire or get released so we'll need a DL anyways, we need depth at MLB in the worst way, we're pretty set in the secondary for now as long as Hope returns and we can resign Ike..otherwise we'll be in trouble again.

We need OL depth in the worst way, and we need a big / tall WR.. even though Ben proved today our guys can get it done against a pretty good pass defense, it would be nice to have that big target to compliment Heath.

Steel Fury
12-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Figg is right, we are lacking a pass rush. I like our LB but they don't seem to be effective the past 2 weeks. Is it just me or is Porter not looking as sharp as in the past? I don't think we need draft a LB early but we should draft one late. My main concerns are OL and DL I think we need to get some help on both sides.

tony hipchest
12-05-2005, 11:58 AM
i dont understanding the thinking of drafting o-linemen to replace the rookies and 1st year starters we got in there now. then again there will still be those who say we need to draft another cb instead of actually giving the youth at the position a chance to develop.

Suitanim
12-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Center is a concern. Can Okobi play? We need that question answered.
I think losing Smith is hurting the OL a lot. Asking Essex to fill his shoe's is a tall order. Starks needs another year of seasoning and NFL coaching before he'll be top quality.

We'll need a RB next year. We've already discussed the lack of big backs coming out of college. I wonder what will be available in the FA?

Will we go WR in the offseason? Having a broken offensive line makes it hard to gauge just how out of whack we are at other positions. The Steelers might be compelled to leave things the way they are, incorporate the TE more, and fix the line. It worked wonders last year.

Defense, I just don't know. I still think our DB's are solid, but is Colclough going to be a starting NFL CB? Deshea's days are numbered. I'm banking on Bryant stepping up. We'll need another DL, someone who can play the 3-4, and that could come from the draft.

LB might be a great place to start at retooling. We need another top-notch, do anything stud LB in the mix. The young guys (including Harrison) are definitely going to be steeping in soon, but it takes a special player to learn Pittsburgh's 3-4.