PDA

View Full Version : Conclusion: Hines NOT Fined for hit

Preacher
10-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Maybe football is not the “pansy” game that Steelers safety Troy Polamalu accused it of being.
Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward’s hit on Bengals rookie linebacker Keith Rivers was brutal — but not illegal, at least to the NFL.
After watching replays of the hit, the league determined that Ward will not be fined for the play that left Rivers with a broken jaw, a league official said Tuesday. The ruling was consistent with the officials, who did not call a penalty on the play.
Ward jolted Rivers in the fourth quarter of the Steelers 38-10 victory over the Bengals, leaving Cincinnati’s first-round pick sprawled out on the field for a few minutes.
The block symbolized the toughness that marks Ward’s playing style. Despite being two inches shorter and 35 pounds lighter than Rivers, Ward knocked him out of the game and the season with one jaw-breaking hit.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/21/ward-is-not-a-pansy/

TailgateMel
10-21-2008, 03:29 PM
thank gawd!!

fansince'76
10-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Doesn't change the fact that Troy was right and Goodell is turning it into a pansy league, otherwise it wouldn't still be getting talked about.

Preacher
10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Doesn't change the fact that Troy was right and Goodell is turning it into a pansy league, otherwise it wouldn't still be getting talked about.

too true.

I don't mind fines for TRUE late hits on QB's. Some of those hits have ended careers and are very unnecessary.

I also don't mind fines for headhunting and excessive celebration... They are supposed to be professionals and in control.

But the fines being doled out now are idiotic.

Edman
10-21-2008, 03:33 PM
That's still no excuse for fining Hines for doing absolutely nothing wrong. This shouldn't even be an issue at all, really. We shouldn't even be talking about this fine junk. Hines plays rough in a physical contact sport. He's not doing it for personal grudge or deliberate head hunting. He's playing the sport. That's his job.

Hines may have dodged a fine, but I'm sure there's going to be this bullcrap rule installed next year that you can't hit or block too hard. Because if Rivers' broken jaw. I know it.

fansince'76
10-21-2008, 03:34 PM
too true.

I don't mind fines for TRUE late hits on QB's. Some of those hits have ended careers and are very unnecessary.

I also don't mind fines for headhunting and excessive celebration... They are supposed to be professionals and in control.

But the fines being doled out now are idiotic.

I don't have a problem with fines being doled out for dirty and late hits either. I do have a problem with fines being doled out for clean and legal hits. Goodell has amply demonstrated that he can't tell the difference half the time.

The Duke
10-21-2008, 03:36 PM
:hatsoff:

nice job goodell, at least you're not a total douchebag

hmm....that's true

but hey, goodell got one right, out of like 100 but still :thumbsup:

steelreserve
10-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I don't have a problem with fines being doled out for dirty and late hits either. I do have a problem with fines being doled out for clean and legal hits. Goodell has amply demonstrated that he can't tell the difference half the time.

Or even the ones that are accidents. It's fairly common to have a play that's dangerous and the kind of thing you want to avoid -- but it has mostly to do with bad timing or bad luck, not any malicious intentions. But Goodell treats it like they're all deliberate. He's getting into the area of "cracking down" on fouls that are actually just the result of playing hard, not being dirty. You just can't eliminate all of those kinds of fouls unless you want everyone to play so conservatively that it dilutes the game.

Even in cases like the Anquan Boldin injury, where the league practically had to do something to send a message about safety, I don't think it's the right approach to just come out treating it like it was flat-out intentional. When it comes down to it, almost everyone in the league understands there are certain lines you try to avoid crossing because it could just as easily be you in the other guy's shoes.

Probably half the "flagrant" fouls that I've seen guys get fined for this year are cases where a couple feet in a given direction, or a half-second forward or backward in time, would've made the difference between a legal play and a "dirty" hit. In summary, Goodell is a moron who's doing his best to ruin the game of football.

Preacher
10-21-2008, 04:08 PM
The fact is, these guys are bigger, faster, stronger than ever before.

There is one simple way to stop a number of these dangerous hits.

Expand the playing surface another 5 yards in either direction. It spreads out the play that much more... and makes it harder to cover ground fast enough to line people up.

Hockey did it without changing the actual playing surface... by taking out the center line, moving the net back to its original position, and shrinking the neutral zone. It create more skating room. Yet, there is still a lot of hard hitting.

Give the players another 10 yards of width, and I think you would see a lot of injuries disappear, without too many rule changes.

However that will never happen. The stadiums would have to take out some seating, and that would not make ANYONE happy.

Sharkissle29
10-21-2008, 04:09 PM
hallelujah!

wardislord
10-21-2008, 04:19 PM
HALLELUJAH!!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

SuzyPeppercorn
10-21-2008, 04:21 PM
the article says it happened in the fourth quarter. The hit happened in the first half if i remember correctly.

The bengals can talk all they want about how much revenge they want to get but they already had one half to do that and i didnt see ward take any big hits other than after his last td catch.

Texasteel
10-21-2008, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=The Duke;458362]:hatsoff:

nice job goodell, at least you're not a total douchebag

QUOTE]

Yes he is.

MasterOfPuppets
10-21-2008, 05:30 PM
the article says it happened in the fourth quarter. The hit happened in the first half if i remember correctly.

The bengals can talk all they want about how much revenge they want to get but they already had one half to do that and i didnt see ward take any big hits other than after his last td catch.first half? wasn't it on the first drive?

Preacher
10-21-2008, 06:27 PM
first half? wasn't it on the first drive?

Yep. and not too many plays into it either.

lilyoder6
10-21-2008, 06:41 PM
this just makes goodell more stupid.. he'll fine ward for the same exact thing two weeks in a row but gives him a break this week??? he can't stay con. with all the fines he is dissing out

revefsreleets
10-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Fines are one thing, suspensions are another.

Forget about the latter. Those rumors or whatever were just stupid...

HometownGal
10-21-2008, 07:09 PM
The ruling was consistent with the officials, who did not call a penalty on the play.

OK Goodell - then refund Hines the big bucks you fined him twice previously for hits that weren't flagged by the officials.

Better yet - step down as Commish as you are as inconsistent as the day is long.

fansince'76
10-21-2008, 07:10 PM
OK Goodell - then give Hines back the money you fined him twice previously for hits that weren't flagged by the officials.

Better yet - step down as Commish as you are as inconsistent as the day is long.

Incontinent too. :chuckle:

Hapa
10-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Goodell didn't need money this week because the economy is improving :applaudit:

steelpride12
10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Goodell just doesn't want Troy to knock him out.

SteelersMongol
10-21-2008, 11:54 PM
What about the other fines? Is Ward making an appeal on those?

WWIIOwheelz
10-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Ward owes Troy lunch, or something. Sad as it is to say, but had Polamalu not questioned the league's motives and discretion, I'll bet he'd have been fined more than in previous weeks and possibly suspended. The backlash from the last fine on Hines was palpable across the land, and in most decent football towns.

Preacher
10-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Ward owes Troy lunch, or something. Sad as it is to say, but had Polamalu not questioned the league's motives and discretion, I'll bet he'd have been fined more than in previous weeks and possibly suspended. The backlash from the last fine on Hines was palpable across the land, and in most decent football towns.

You're prob. right.

Angina
10-22-2008, 12:43 AM

You mean he's not even an American???? :confused:

:wink02: :toofunny:

Angina

Tankus_Maximus
10-22-2008, 12:54 AM
If Goodell had fined Hines, it would only cement his legacy as the biggest pu $sy commisioner ever.....pinche joto.

Steelman16
10-22-2008, 01:57 AM
If Goodell had fined Hines, it would only cement his legacy as the biggest pu $sy commisioner ever.....pinche joto.

:toofunny:

Nice of Goodell to be considerate this week, but I think this only the break in the storm. Look for more stupid fines as the season goes into the stretch.

Someone needs to start a Goodell Needs To Resign thread already. :coffee:

Galax Steeler
10-22-2008, 05:16 AM
That is the right call he should not have been fined it was a good clean hit.

SteelMember
10-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Wow. 1 out of 3. Hines may only think he's 66.6% dumbass now.
He's a dirty bum. :toofunny:

vasteeler
10-22-2008, 11:50 AM

i was going to say the same thing, you beat me to it

Dino 6 Rings
10-22-2008, 12:42 PM
dang it, wish he was fined. That would just make our team even more angry and aggressive.

the league is trying to put out the fire that is the Steelers anger and agressiveness on Sundays. Get me the gasoline, I want to make the fire even bigger!

HIT EM HARDER!

bratsinmybelly
10-22-2008, 08:26 PM
One of the many reasons that Hines is my favorite player in football. "The Smiling Assassin".
I will so miss Hines when he retires. He epitomizes Steelers football in so many ways.