PDA

View Full Version : Attention: Creative People

revefsreleets
10-22-2008, 12:58 PM
As you may or may not know (or care for that matter), I work for a radio/tv station “selling air”. We are starting to stream over the net, and we will have a considerable lag time converting our local radio sponsors over to net sponsors due to some FCC BS, so, in the interim, to keep from running 90% PSA’s, they are letting the salespeople create and voice our own ads, kind of a “Call me to advertise” thing.

There are 5 of us, and 3 of the other guys are crusty old dudes who will probably do straight boring reads, and the other is a crusty young dude who will probably do the same. I’m looking for a unique concept here, something to set me apart, grab peoples attention, that kind of thing. I have creative carte blanche, but it can’t be too over the top, as this is a pretty conservative company (we are local talk radio on the FM). Just FYI, I’m a singer, so I’d be willing to do that, spoofing other famous ad concepts is fine, etc, etc…

I’m very good at my job, and usually have no trouble creating really nice concepts but I’m having trouble with this because it’s for myself.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

fansince'76
10-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Any particular product or service you're wanting to advertise, or are you looking for a general approach that could work for any ad?

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Figure out your core audiance and then see if it is the same as your target audiance ....women in their 40's?....men in their 20's?
Figure out who is your customer base is and then you’ll be one step closer to figuring out how to reach them.

(I know.....I know...you probably are aware of that....I'll shut up....LOL!!!)

tony hipchest
10-22-2008, 02:26 PM
ever since i was a kid, i always thought Arby's should run an ad

"Hungry enough to eat a horse? Come on down for an Arby's roast beef delux topped with our Arby's and Horsey sauce."

20+ years and they still havent used it...

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-22-2008, 02:30 PM
How about a "so easy even BengalBrian can do it" run of ads?????!!!!

tony hipchest
10-22-2008, 02:33 PM
How about a "so easy even BengalBrian can do it" run of ads?????!!!! :toofunny:

with the sound of a "pop goes the weasel" jack-in-the-box in the backgoround....

revefsreleets
10-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Hmmmm...it's an ad for ME. I'm selling me to my audience. A boring straight read would be something like:

"In tough times, many advertisers make a very common and dangerous mistake: The STOP advertising. Then when sales drop (and, without advertising, sales can ONLY drop), and they desperately need to advertise, they have lost the ability through loss of revenue to so so. I'm here to help you avoid that very simple pitfall. Call me, Randy, at XXX-XXXX or Randy@XXXXX.com and I'll show you how to craft a successful ad campaign that will effectively reach your audience, create a message that will resonate with them and get your phone ringing all without breaking your bank. Call me at ...etc, etc..."

But I want to break out of that and really grab peoples attention...although now that I read that (and I spent 3 minutes writing that), it ain't half bad...scaring people is works for the media...

beSteelmyheart
10-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Since everything is so focused on politics right now, what a bout a negative campaign spoof that "exposes" just how crusty those other guys are? You could make it sound like a scandal that they are boring & would have planty of refernce material to choose from to make it seem more realistic.
Since everyone has been so sick of the negative campaigning, maybe you could find a way to make people chuckle about it.

MasterOfPuppets
10-22-2008, 06:35 PM
put in lots of cowbell......:thumbsup:

revefsreleets
10-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Hmmm...besteel, that's good, and if it wasn't so contemporary and topical (it'll be kind of irrelevant in 13 days) I'd use that...

Now the cowbell thing has some traction...not everybody will get that, but I don't want everybody, i want people who are willing to go a little off the grid.

Hmmmmm.....

Gotta think about that one....

Gimme more ideas people!

fansince'76
10-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Hmmmm...it's an ad for ME. I'm selling me to my audience. A boring straight read would be something like:

"In tough times, many advertisers make a very common and dangerous mistake: The STOP advertising. Then when sales drop (and, without advertising, sales can ONLY drop), and they desperately need to advertise, they have lost the ability through loss of revenue to so so. I'm here to help you avoid that very simple pitfall. Call me, Randy, at XXX-XXXX or Randy@XXXXX.com and I'll show you how to craft a successful ad campaign that will effectively reach your audience, create a message that will resonate with them and get your phone ringing all without breaking your bank. Call me at ...etc, etc..."

But I want to break out of that and really grab peoples attention...although now that I read that (and I spent 3 minutes writing that), it ain't half bad...scaring people is works for the media...

I'm assuming these are going to be radio spots, so that limits you visually - I think what you wrote would be a pretty compelling radio spot, if you concentrate on the delivery and make it sound like you're not reading it. I'm also thinking that you can use aural "props" to accent the sentences themselves. For example, maybe a TV game show buzzer immediately upon concluding the "They stop advertising" line. And maybe a falling sound (http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/play/play.cfm/sound_iid.262211)after the "when sales drop" part of the dialogue - lots of sound props you can use.

MasterOfPuppets
10-22-2008, 07:21 PM
i like the scare tactic.....if ya go that way ya gotta throw in sound effects....like a toilet flushing when you tell em thier business will go under without advertisement.

never mind 76 BEAT ME TO IT.

vasteeler
10-23-2008, 10:43 AM
put in lots of cowbell......:thumbsup:

gotta have more cowbell

xfl2001fan
10-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Can't tell you everything right, but avoid a redneck accent. Nobody takes em seriously, no matter how smart they are.

Leftoverhard
10-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Can you do impersonations, impressions? Without knowing your particular talents, I don't have much. Of course the parody always works - if you can pull it off. I'm glad to hear you don't want to do the same old, same old.

Or if all else fails, use MOP's advice, it's excellent:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q4royOLtvmQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q4royOLtvmQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

revefsreleets
10-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I have a whole thing worked up for the cowbell, but I'm 90% it's going to get the kibosh from the powers that be...I LOVE the idea. It was a direct spoof of the spoof, with me coming after "the guy" keeps saying "All your ad needs is more cowbell" in several different ways, and "saving the day" by saying "No, your ad does NOT need more cowbell, what you really need is..."

LOVE the idea...I hope it can fly. I fell back on a culmination of a couple different ideas I had with some stuff from you guys suggestions, so thanks all...

xfl2001fan
10-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Can you do impersonations, impressions? Without knowing your particular talents, I don't have much. Of course the parody always works - if you can pull it off. I'm glad to hear you don't want to do the same old, same old.

Or if all else fails, use MOP's advice, it's excellent:

You have to be very careful with impersonations/impressions...because you do need to be taken seriously as well.

Some of the worst possible commercials I've seen/heard involve poorly done impersonations/impressions. (There's even a Presidential Car Sale where the 2008 Honda Accord is the running mate...)

It doesn't make me want the product, it makes me want to shoot the advertisor, the owner (for participating) and the product, for the sake of shutting the guy up.

tony hipchest
10-23-2008, 11:24 AM
I have a whole thing worked up for the cowbell, but I'm 90% it's going to get the kibosh from the powers that be...I LOVE the idea. It was a direct spoof of the spoof, with me coming after "the guy" keeps saying "All your ad needs is more cowbell" in several different ways, and "saving the day" by saying "No, your ad does NOT need more cowbell, what you really need is..."

LOVE the idea...I hope it can fly. I fell back on a culmination of a couple different ideas I had with some stuff from you guys suggestions, so thanks all...sounds like you got the makings for a great ad. your initial dialogue was superb. had the buzzword dangerous in the first sentence to instantly grab the viewer/listeners attention.

the advice from fansince and mop was excellent. kinda like the soundboard cramer uses in cnbc's show "mad money". love that show and love the gimmick. it turns a serious subject into something also entertaining. :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
10-23-2008, 03:16 PM
How about something to the tone of:

"Look you can stay where you're at and your ad will be like the bungels, you do know they suck right?

revefsreleets
10-23-2008, 04:27 PM
I HAVE IT!

"Call me. I'm a lifelong Steelers fan, therefore I'm in touch with success and excellence in a way you Browns fans can never know. I'll give you a small taste of that success when I create your ad campaign. I'll help wash that disgusting reek of failure you Browns fans are steeped in away...You don't HAVE to be a loser in EVERY endeavor you undertake!"

MasterOfPuppets
10-23-2008, 04:41 PM
I HAVE IT!

"Call me. I'm a lifelong Steelers fan, therefore I'm in touch with success and excellence in a way you Browns fans can never know. I'll give you a small taste of that success when I create your ad campaign. I'll help wash that disgusting reek of failure you Browns fans are steeped in away...You don't HAVE to be a loser in EVERY endeavor you undertake!"
go with that !!! :thumbsup:

Dynasty
10-23-2008, 07:06 PM
hire the guy who does all the movie trailer voiceovers... he'll lend that necessary clout to your campaign!

revefsreleets
10-23-2008, 07:34 PM
hire the guy who does all the movie trailer voiceovers... he'll lend that necessary clout to your campaign!

That'd be a neat trick, since he just died....

xfl2001fan
10-24-2008, 06:40 AM
I HAVE IT!

It's at times like this that I question why I like you. :flap:

revefsreleets
10-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Maybe you could just tell them your a known liar and con-man who fooled a internet forum into thinking you were other people so surely you could sell their product to anyone. Nah that probably wouldn't work. Sorry I couldn't help.

"Known liar and con man"?

Really? REALLY?

Time to let it go, junior...and STOP sucking LITP's balls. HE was the liar and con man, and the proof is that you are (and apparently ONLY you) still buying into his BS...

fansince'76
10-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Maybe you could just tell them your a known liar and con-man who fooled a internet forum into thinking you were other people so surely you could sell their product to anyone. Nah that probably wouldn't work. Sorry I couldn't help.

Drop it already. Or better yet, go kiss LITP's ass over on your "new and better board." :coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2008, 11:00 PM
That'd be a neat trick, since he just died....

maybe he'll work cheaper now !!! :tap:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Hehehehe...

.....how about a series of ads with people who DIDN'T advertise with you....sort of a take off the AT&T "no bars" adds.

"Hi my name is Herman Fish...past owner of Herman's Fish on a stick shack....dont bother calling me because..well...without advertising...noone knew about my Salmon Corn dogs or my yummy Flounder-sicle. So, if you need to get a hold of me...you can drop by Leroy's Egg Kabob Emporium, where I will be busing tables. Yea...thats right...Leroy advertised through (company name here)....

I like it!!!!!:tt03::tt03:

GBMelBlount
10-25-2008, 09:28 AM
I HAVE IT!

LOL!!!!!! :rofl: :sign03::checkit:

fansince'76
10-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Ought to came say hello once in a while , you are extremely well liked there for your tolerance and open mindedness.

Yeah, I know - I found it quite amusing that the Internet tough guy who started my personal "appreciation thread" over there was too much of a chickenshit to post it anywhere else besides the private "smack forum." As far as the sentiments expressed toward myself in that thread are concerned, I can assure you the feelings are quite mutual. I also found it kind of funny (in a pathetic sort of way) that outside of your and the thread starter's comments, it was more of a petty and childish "let's badmouth SF"/"who all here's been banned from SF?" thread than anything else. :yawn:

Speaking of which, your opportunities to skulk over here in the middle of the night to take shots at valuable members of this board (read: not you) like the no life loser you are end here. So long, au revoir, arrivederci, and all that crap. :wave:

revefsreleets
10-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Ought to came say hello once in a while , you are extremely well liked there for your tolerance and open mindedness.

Buh bye, asshole...

By the way, LLT, LOVE IT!

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-27-2008, 08:10 AM
By the way, LLT, LOVE IT!

(kids screaming and crying in background)

"Hi, you may remember me as Dick Stubblefield...past owner of Honest Dick's used sportscars. Thats right, I used to spend my days selling incredible cars to gorgeous ladies. Unfortunately, without advertising through (company name here) I had way too many cars...and way... too few... ladies who knew about my dealership."

So now I pay my bills by running a day-care out of my house. (pause for more screaming and crying)...."HEY!!!...DO NOT STICK THAT SANDWICH IN MY DVD PLAYER!!!"

(Pause)
"Dont be a Dick...advertise through (company name here)"