PDA

View Full Version : Eli vs Ben

Hines0wnz
10-22-2008, 02:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8706272?MSNHPHMA

This was a decent article until this:

Eli defeated one of the greatest teams of all time to win his title; Roethlisberger beat the Seahawks, with some help from the refs, to win his.

The Steelers will never get full credit from the media for that win.

fansince'76
10-22-2008, 02:17 PM
If Roethlisberger has been comfortable in his NFL skin from Day 1, Manning is just now getting comfortable in his. Eli has the larger upside to work with over the next five or so years.

How so? Manning was groomed to play QB in the NFL out of the womb - Ben didn't start playing the position until he was a senior in high school. Yet Ben was "more comfortable in his NFL skin" earlier than Eli - doesn't say much for Eli, does it? That article is so full of fallacies that to shoot down every one would take the better part of a week. :coffee:

NJarhead
10-22-2008, 02:20 PM
People seem to forget that Ben was a huge reason why the Steelers were there in the first place. He had a bad frickin' game. Did the Seahawks stop FWP on the long run? No. Did they give up a huge play by Randel El and Hines Ward? YES. Did they stop Ben at the goal line? NOOOOooo!!!. Sick of hearing that shit. :mad:

Nobody was more happy for Eli and the Giants than I was, but the Giants Defense had more to do with that win than anyone or anything else. Eli is credited for half of the biggest play of that game. David Tyree the other. He (Tyree) or even Justin Tuck had serious consideration for MVP too.

That aside, this should be a great game.

HometownGal
10-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Eli, while having some raw talent, isn't his father and he certainly isn't his brother. He's been blessed with a good OL and up until the injuries on the D this season as well as Strahan's retirement, their D kept them in most of their matchups last season, including the big game.

I know I'm sounding like a homer here, but I'd take Ben over any modern day QB out there. He's proven time and time again that he is one of the best and most reliable playmakers out there and will do whatever it takes to win.

Preacher
10-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Eli, while having some raw talent, isn't his father and he certainly isn't his brother. He's been blessed with a good OL and up until the injuries on the D this season as well as Strahan's retirement, their D kept them in most of their matchups last season, including the big game.

I know I'm sounding like a homer here, but I'd take Ben over any modern day QB out there. He's proven time and time again that he is one of the best and most reliable playmakers out there and will do whatever it takes to win.

Anyone except old horseface himself... John Elway. While I SEVERELY dislike the dude... (remember I was a Seahawk fan as well for years, and that was a BIG rivarly in the 80's), I have to give him props. He is a better version of Ben... least for now. I think Ben will be better then Elway in a couple more years... there is just a couple more rough edges to sand off.

KeiselPower99
10-22-2008, 03:16 PM
If Eli wasnt a Manning he would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. In that draft I still beieve J.P. Losman is a better qb then Eli. Really Eli won the Super Bowl with a awesome d.

stlrtruck
10-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Right now games against equals

Ben Roethlisberger 1
Eli Manning 0

Preacher
10-22-2008, 03:47 PM
If Eli wasnt a Manning he would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. In that draft I still beieve J.P. Losman is a better qb then Eli. Really Eli won the Super Bowl with a awesome d.

I have to give Eli his props. He came out in the end of that SB, put the team on his back, and walked down the field to win it.

You just can't take that away from the guy.

Sure, he has been very inconsistent. It is something I think we can cause and then exploit this Sunday. BUt when the kid is on... he is ON.

fansince'76
10-22-2008, 03:50 PM
I have to give Eli his props. He came out in the end of that SB, put the team on his back, and walked down the field to win it.

You just can't take that away from the guy.

And one drive in one game is the basis for the article's conclusion that Eli is a better QB than Ben, when every other measurable indicates the opposite. Fallacious BS article.

Preacher
10-22-2008, 03:58 PM

And one drive in one game is the basis for the article's conclusion that Eli is a better QB than Ben, when every other measurable indicates the opposite. Fallacious BS article.

Nope... I was just responding to KP's assertion that it was the D that won the SB for Eli.

Eli had as much to do with that one win as the D did.

That's all.

The Duke
10-22-2008, 03:58 PM

um...Losman isn't even a starter

you gotta give credit to eli, he beat the pats after all. He makes his mistakes, but overall he's a good qb. definitely in the top 10

oh yeah, and ben>eli. at least at this point in their careers

NJarhead
10-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Career Stats Compared:

Career Record (games started including playoffs):
Ben - 44-17
Eli - 34-27

Career passing yardage:
Ben - 12,836
Eli - 11,385

Career TDs/Ints:
Ben - 93/57
Eli - 77/64

Career Completion %:
Ben 63.2%
Eli 54.7%

Career QB rating:
Ben - 93.0
Eli - 73.4

Gathered this info from a couple different sites. Believe it to be accurate up to Oct. 19, 2008.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Wow, so one drive in one game is the reason Eli is a better QB than Ben?

I would take Ben over ANY QB currently playing in the NFL right now.

What would you expect Accorsi to say anyhow...that he took the wrong QB?

Preacher
10-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Wow, so one drive in one game is the reason Eli is a better QB than Ben?

I would take Ben over ANY QB currently playing in the NFL right now.

Are you referring to the original article... or to us posting about it?

Cause I know I am not saying he is better than Ben.. just that you have to give Eli props for that game.. and that drive.

fansince'76
10-22-2008, 04:53 PM

Yep, and if Accorsi's assertion that "Eli was asked to do more than Ben because Ben has historically had the better supporting cast," then why does Ben have more passing yardage? Once again, fallacious BS article. Might as well say Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Dan Marino, because he was if you buy this article's line of reasoning.

Eli Manning Career Stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/elimanning/careerstats?id=MAN473170)

Ben Roethlisberger Career Stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/benroethlisberger/careerstats?id=ROE750381)

RoethlisBURGHer
10-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Are you referring to the original article... or to us posting about it?

Cause I know I am not saying he is better than Ben.. just that you have to give Eli props for that game.. and that drive.

I agree that Eli played his ass off in that game and on that drive.

However on that final drive Eli damn near threw a game-ending INT to Asante Samuel who failed to catch a ball thrown right into his hands.

But you cannot say one QB is better than the other due to one game or one drive. Last I checked, both made huge plays in the Super Bowls they won.

Yep, and if Accorsi's assertion that "Eli was asked to do more than Ben because Ben has historically had the better supporting cast," then why does Ben have more passing yardage, especially since Ben has missed games here and there and Eli has started every game of his career? Once again, fallacious BS article.

Not to mention that the Giants relied heavily on Tiki Barber in the run game in Mannings first few seasons. It's not like they put the games on Eli's shoulders...Tiki carried the load.

Games were on Ben's shoulders a few times in 2004 and 2005 and he came through for the wins.

The 2006 season was an abberation. There was the motorcycle accident, the emergency appedectomy, the concussion, and then there was the fact that Cowher's head was in North Carolina all season.

Ben reemed himself last season and has had a damn good 2008 so far.

Not to mention that Eli wouldn't make it behind our current offensive line.

ben7
10-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Ben is more talented, Eli although has better instincs.

MasterOfPuppets
10-22-2008, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=Preacher;458931]Are you referring to the original article... or to us posting about it?

LOL...... i seem to remember Eli throwing up a prayer, that was luckily answered by tyree in a form of a circus catch....other wise nobody would be talking about " that drive"

MasterOfPuppets
10-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Ben is more talented, Eli although has better instincs.

yeah, he showed those " better instincts" against the browns.

NJarhead
10-22-2008, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=Preacher;458931]Are you referring to the original article... or to us posting about it?

LOL...... i seem to remember Eli throwing up a prayer, that was luckily answered by tyree in a form of a circus catch....other wise nobody would be talking about " that drive"

Brett Favre has made a career out of "throwing up prayers." They just don't get answered as much these days.

Like I said earlier, Eli was half responsible for possibly the greatest play in SB history. He's a smart kid and deserves credit. Don't get me wrong though; If we're in the school yard picking teams, I'm picking Ben. :chuckle:

lilyoder6
10-22-2008, 08:43 PM
i would say that ben is the better qb.. eli and that offense has the tendecy to go off track and do shit.. ala the browns game.. ben just has been more consistant than eli has been

slippy
10-22-2008, 09:26 PM
just to set the record straight, ben had a bad HALF year in '06.

the team was 2-6 and be threw a batch of ugly picks. the second half of that year the team was 6-2 and ben's play, if i remember correctly, was up to his usual standards.

stillers4me
10-22-2008, 09:40 PM
If we're in the school yard picking teams, I'm picking Ben.

There ya go. :thumbsup:

Stu Pidasso
10-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Everything changed in a New York minute last winter, when the maddeningly inconsistent Manning ripped off consecutive postseason victories over Tony Romo, Brett Favre and Tom Brady to give the Giants the most improbable Super Bowl title since the one claimed by Joe Namath's Jets.

And 8 straight wins, the last 5 on the road to reach SB XL meant nothing?

OneForTheToe
10-23-2008, 12:02 AM

While there is no doubt I would pick Ben any day any time, how many times have so called experts said the same thing about Ben.

Eli is not as good as Ben, but no need to withold the credit he does deserve.

Borski
10-23-2008, 12:11 AM
The writer Ian O'Connor is from NJ and you can tell from his blatant bias.

vasteeler
10-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I agree that Eli played his ass off in that game and on that drive.

However on that final drive Eli damn near threw a game-ending INT to Asante Samuel who failed to catch a ball thrown right into his hands.

But you cannot say one QB is better than the other due to one game or one drive. Last I checked, both made huge plays in the Super Bowls they won.

Not to mention that the Giants relied heavily on Tiki Barber in the run game in Mannings first few seasons. It's not like they put the games on Eli's shoulders...Tiki carried the load.

Games were on Ben's shoulders a few times in 2004 and 2005 and he came through for the wins.

The 2006 season was an abberation. There was the motorcycle accident, the emergency appedectomy, the concussion, and then there was the fact that Cowher's head was in North Carolina all season.

Ben reemed himself last season and has had a damn good 2008 so far.

Not to mention that Eli wouldn't make it behind our current offensive line.

thats gotta hurt:flap:

Dino 6 Rings
10-23-2008, 12:12 PM
I remember watching Eli play on the Giants defense and was amazed to watch as he single handedly stuffed he "best offense in the history of the NFL" and held them to only 14 points.

Wow, he was something else in that game...then to come back and go 19/34 with 255 yards and 2 tds and 1 int. Wow, I was blown away by his awesomeness...

ChronoCross
10-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Well on NFL Network there going to show the 2004 Steelers vs Giants, are may I say Ben vs Eli first time against each other at 9 pm est getting ready for the big game between the two.

TeeJay
10-23-2008, 07:14 PM
I do rate Eli but, would he have made THAT tackle against The Colts in the play-offs? I think not - The dude would'ave run over him!

The Media can harp on about every other QB in the game, and how they're all better than Ben 'till they're blue in the face. It don't mean a thing, not a thing.

The 'Special One' plays in Black and Gold.

Polamalu43
10-25-2008, 12:12 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8706272?MSNHPHMA

This was a decent article until this:

The Steelers will never get full credit from the media for that win.

Man i hate Eli the punk manning, and his bro. :banging:

steelpride12
10-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Ben has always been a complete QB unlike Eli Manning,
Ben comes out of no where to take his team to 15-1 and lose because the Patriots cheated.
Won the Superbowl the next season, he is versatile, has a strong arm, and when the line plays good he never has bad games.

Eli Manning is part of a trade, comes into NY and slumps the team for about two seasons. Manning was averaging 3 INT's a game and almost cost Coughlin his job.
Manning is not very versatile, and on some games has a bad day.

Sorry, but Ben is the Better QB win or lose tomorrow its a fact.

steel striker
10-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Well I still say Ben can do it all as far as QB play is concerned .Plus as we have seen he can make big plays in the passing game when the play breaks down. Eli is a pretty good qb but, he is no Ben Roethlisberger. There is not any other qb in the league i would rather than Ben. There is just more upside with Ben and, Ben satys very calm in the biggest moments of a game and under a rush he just makes plays for the steelers to win.