PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Fan Adds Injury to Insult at Cincy Game

meanjoecoop
10-22-2008, 07:51 PM
This has become the talk of the city on all of the local sports radio shows...

Steelers Fan Adds Injury to Insult at Cincy Game
Tuesday, October 21, 2008

http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20081021/100307.jpg
Beaten Bengal Fan Randy Reed

It’s not fun being a Bengals fan right now. It’s bad enough that your team is winless, but you have Carson Palmer on the brink of reconstructive surgery, your head coach laughin’ it up at each Monday press conference when, clearly, nothing is funny about this season, and Chad Johnson is still on your team.

So, not surprisingly, fans started unloading their tickets for the rest of the season last week. And if the horrible product on the field is already starting to drive away fans, stories like Randy’s won’t help.

See, Randy is a lifelong Bengals fan who took his daughter to her first ever football game, along with his wife, on Sunday. Some might consider this child and/or spousal abuse, but that’s another story. The family was having a super awesome day of tailgating, playing corn hole, watching their team get ripped to shreds by the Steelers ... and then this happened:

My wife and daughter went to the restroom. The [Steelers fan] directly behind me kept going on about Mike Brown and I finally said, "At least he isn't selling our team. You guys might end up the LA Steelers.” I never turned around once or confronted anyone. It was just banter during the game. Let's face it, it's pretty hard to come up with anything to defend this franchise currently. Besides this wasn't a fan on the losing side they were well on there way to victory.

The next thing I know I felt a crushing blow to the side of my face. I fell, not really sure where since it knocked me out. I woke up in the security office with my face being attended to. I was covered in blood and my face was a mess. When I fell I must have hit a railing and went face first to the concrete stairs. I have a broken wrist and a bruised knee.

Oh sweet irony. Randy got beat up for defending the owner of a team that has been emotionally beating down Randy for years. But on the bright side, I'm sure his daughter wasn't emotionally damaged at all from her first football game.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/13830/steelers_fan_adds_injury_to_insult_at_cincy_game

and an audio interview with Randy:

http://www.wkef22.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/wkef_vid_1154.shtml

This reminded me of an incident in Jacksonville back in 2005. I swear I remember hearing a report that this guy was eventually proven to have lied about his assault. He got all this free stuff from the Bungals and it was a total Hoax. Anyone else remember this or know where I can find any info please LMK.

Bengals Fan Beaten In Jacksonville Parking Garage

Grant Groneck, 20, of Lakeside Park, Ky., attended Sunday night's game in Florida with friends, but got separated from the group in a parking garage shortly after the game.

Groneck said a group of Jaguars fans saw him wearing orange and black, so they came up behind him and started beating him.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/5092510/detail.html

http://www.wlwt.com/station/5118909/detail.html

wheebz
10-22-2008, 08:01 PM
man, thats nuts

MACH1
10-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Maybe he tried playing corn hole with the wrong person.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-22-2008, 08:17 PM
He was defending that dipshit of an owner Mike Brown?

He deserved to get beaten.

He probally would have been left alone if not for the remark about becoming the "LA Steelers".

klick81
10-22-2008, 08:23 PM
If real, that's not the least bit funny. The guy looks like he couldn't defend himself if he wanted to!

stillers4me
10-22-2008, 08:26 PM
I'd bet he's lying thru his teeth........errrr........gums. (Bengals fan we're talking about here. :chuckle:)

steelwall
10-22-2008, 08:28 PM
I dunno seems kinda funny to me. I mean the guy got some cuts and bruises.....oh well... not like the Steeler fan killed the guy...

NJarhead
10-22-2008, 08:28 PM
eh, they should have smacked his old lady too.

I'm KIDDING!

NJarhead
10-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I dunno seems kinda funny to me. I mean the guy got some cuts and bruises.....oh well... not like the Steeler fan killed the guy...

Actually, it looks like catsup and mustard, but I wasn't going to say anything.

stillers4me
10-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Was it a crackback block? :sofunny:

stillers4me
10-22-2008, 09:23 PM
So this guy thinks anybody is going to believe that that he got beat up by a Steeler fan over that?

The people in this shithole of a town think that they are the Steelers "biggest rivals".

Really.......they do.

I'm always hearing about how awful Steelrs fans are and how much trouble they cause when they come to town. Well.....I've been to those games and I can assure you that's it's the Bengals fans getting yappy at us and constantly making snide and smart aleck remarks to the Steelers fans that causes all the trouble. (but that's only if their crappy team happens to be winning at that moment.....otherwise they say nothing),

I tell people that in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati means nothing to the fans, that Cleveland is the big fan rivalry and it's the Ravens that the players hate the most. They can't believe that they are the completely irrelevent team of the AFC North. They are so jealous and obsessed with the Steelers that they've built this whole imaginary "rivalry" in their teeny weeny little toothless heads.

Since nobody knows who actually punched the guy, we'll never really know what happened.

Perfect.

meanjoecoop
10-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Team reaches out to fan
By Mark Curnutte • mcurnutte@enquirer.com • October 22, 2008

A Miamisburg man who says he was sucker-punched and knocked out Sunday during the Bengals-Steelers game is has brought renewed attention the past two days to the conduct and safety of fans who attend NFL games.

Randy Reed says he is a lifelong Bengals fan who attended the game with his wife and 23-year-old step-daughter. During the game, Reed says, he engaged in what he described as “bantering” with Steelers fans sitting behind him in the south end zone at Paul Brown Stadium when he “felt a blow” on the side of his face that sent him into the concrete stairs. He woke up in the security office covered in blood.

No arrests were made in connection with the incident.

Reeds told his story on Tuesday on Lance McAlister’s radio talk show on 1530 Homer. Bob Bedinghaus, Bengals director of business development, confirmed Reeds’ story on Wednesday.

Ironically, Bedinghaus said, there was increased security in that part of the stadium Sunday. Venders did not sell beer in the south end-zone stands during the Steelers game because of a bottle-throwing incident at that end of the stadium during the Browns game Sept. 28. Beer was sold on the concourse behind the stands and was poured into cups to prevent fans throwing bottles onto the field.

“It seems odd, in one group of folks, there is concern about these kinds of things happening,” Bedinghaus said. “In the south end zone, where we actually had a spike of unruly behavior during the Cleveland game, we made what we thought was a measured decision to reduce beer vending in that area, and we are being criticized for reducing beer vending in that area.

“It’s a balance we’re trying to hit, and we’re doing what we think is measured and right and will continue to do that.”

There were eight arrests during the Browns game, two related to merchandize venders being robbed. Four people were arrested during the Steelers game.

A Steelers or Browns game at Paul Brown Stadium, often attended by large numbers of fans rooting for the visiting teams, about 20 people are ejected from the stadium.

“The Steelers’ (games) are a little more emotional than even the Browns these days,” Bedinghaus said. “Of the ejections, a significant number of them, not half, are people who are ejected for smoking. Other things are fights. So, I mean, these things happen.”

Reed said the Steelers were winning 10-0 in the second quarter when he was punched in the face from behind by a person he assumes was a Steelers fan. Reed said his wife and step-daughter had left to use the restroom.

“I was watching the game,” Reed said Wednesday. “The guy said something about (Bengals president) Mike Brown. I’m one of the few people who will defend him, which is getting harder to do these days (the Bengals are 0-7 and 7-19 in their last 26 games, dating to December 2006).

“I said, ‘Yeah, well, at least he’s not selling the team. You guys are going to be the L.A. Steelers. And the next thing I remember is waking up in the security office.”

Reed, 48, said he was covered in blood. He said he broke his wrist, which is in a cast. He also sustained cuts and bruises on his face and nose, he said. Blood stained his white sneakers and No.32 Bengals Rudi Johnson replica jersey, items that he said he had to throw away.

“My intention is not to prevent people from going to see Bengals games,” said Reed, who manages a used car lot in Amelia. “Would I take my kids down there? No. Would I take my wife or daughter back? No.”

Bedinghaus called Reed on Wednesday and offered him four free club-seat tickets to a future Bengals game. Reed turned him down. Bedinghaus offered the Bengals’ cooperation with Cincinnati Police in an effort to apprehend the person whom Reed said struck him.

“I never saw the guy,” Reed said. “I couldn’t tell you if he was 15 or 42 (years old).”

Fan safety and security are major priorities at NFL venues.

In August, the Bengals announced an expansion to their 2-year-old fan conduct policy to include behavior outside the stadium as well as inside. The change to enforce the code on club-controlled parking lots adjacent to Paul Brown Stadium is in keeping with the new NFL policy that addresses fan conduct on game days around the league.

The enhanced code of conduct is intended to address unruly fan behavior that detracts from the game day experience. Any fan, whether in the stadium or the club-controlled parking lots, risks penalties by violating the code’s provisions.

Penalties include ejection without refund, loss of parking passes and/or loss of season tickets.

In 2006, the Bengals started the 381-JERK line that fans could call – they now can text-message, as well – to report unruly behavior during the game to security personnel.

“We're not as bad as others,” Bedinghaus said of fan conduct at Bengals home games compared to other places around the NFL. “But we do think, for Cincinnati, it had gotten to the level where we should take some further action, and we did.”

http://http://beta.cincinnati.com/article/20081022/SPT02/310220093/1062/SPT&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

steelwall
10-22-2008, 09:45 PM
The guy looks like a drunk, I'm sure he seen who hit him. But he was too drunk to realize it. Boooo hoooo, he toke an ass whippin, get over it allready. I can't believe this is even news.....

Stlrs4Life
10-22-2008, 09:54 PM
He had a bunch of Bengal fans around him that couldn't apprehend the Steelers fan? BS. If this really happened, the Steeler fan should be arrested.

steelwall
10-22-2008, 09:59 PM
He had a bunch of Bengal fans around him that couldn't apprehend the Steelers fan? BS. If this really happened, the Steeler fan should be arrested.

I wouldnt go that far....All we see is a beaten (drunk looking) guy. He may have thrown the first punch.......seems logical his team was getting their asses handed to them. All we have is is side of the story...

meanjoecoop
10-22-2008, 10:01 PM
I can't believe this is even news.....

The people here are dying for any story that villifies the Steelers or Steelers fans. When the Hines Ward hit controversy was put to rest...this comes out.

Berating Steelers fans is somehow comforting to them. It makes them forget about their own miserable team and its problems. The TV News, newspapers and radio talk shows all fuel the fire. I have been listening to this crap since Sunday evening. :mad:

steelwall
10-22-2008, 10:02 PM
The people here are dying for any story that villifies the Steelers or Steelers fans. When the Hines Ward hit controversy was put to rest...this comes out.

Berating Steelers fans is somehow comforting to them. It makes them forget about their own miserable team and its problems. The TV News, newspapers and radio talk shows all fuel the fire. I have been listening to this crap since Sunday evening. :mad:

True.....

meanjoecoop
10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
If this really happened, the Steeler fan should be arrested.

If so, I wish he had. Then maybe they would focus the individual instead of all Steelers fans in general. It will be like the freakin Salem Witch hunts around here before long...

steelwall
10-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Sorry.... I just find it hard to believe a man would just blind side a guy in his own stadium for no reason...... Again one side of the story.... There is another side...

My guess the cincy fan was drunk and talking shit, then a Steeler fan put him in his place.

Seems more logical than a random attack.

meanjoecoop
10-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Sorry.... I just find it hard to believe a man would just blind side a guy in his own stadium for no reason...... Again one side of the story.... There is another side...

My guess the cincy fan was drunk and talking shit, then a Steeler fan put him in his place.

Seems more logical than a random attack.

That would be the logical assumption. :tap:

If I was going to risk being arrested or having to flee the stadium... and miss the game I had paid to see...to beat someone's a$$... it would have to be a lot more serious than what he says he did.

SteelersMongol
10-22-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't think this man was hit by a Steelers fan. Who would be punching drunk old man of this age? & in their own house? Give me a break. Even if someone did, he must've said something REALLY STUPID? Cuz simple LA Steelers is not gonna cut it for me.

Edman
10-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Of course, it had to be a mean ol' Steelers fan. Bunch of mean bullies them Steelers fans are. LA Steelers? Defending Mike Brown? Are Cincinnati Fans that stupid? Well, yeah. Of course they are! Silly me.

I'm going to wait for the other side of the story from this "Steelers fan". But seeing as how Cincy is atrociously bitter towards everything Pittsburgh, the "Steelers fan" is guilty no matter what if not guilty until proven innocent. Death Threats towards Steelers players, fans, coaches, and even their relatives are par for the course for Cincy(Check out Bengals Zone, chock full of 'em). So no, I don't feel sorry for him. This story reeks of bullshit anyway.

None of this wouldn't have happened if T.J Douche and Ocho Stinko didn't disrespect the Terrible Towel. Now Cincy will feel the ongoing wrath of Steelers Nation. Enjoy your years of misery, assholes.

steelwall
10-23-2008, 01:09 AM
That would be the logical assumption. :tap:

If I was going to risk being arrested or having to flee the stadium... and miss the game I had paid to see...to beat someone's a$$... it would have to be a lot more serious than what he says he did.
Ding.....Ding...Ding... exactly

SunshineMan21
10-23-2008, 01:54 AM
You know the simplest explanation is that one of our fans was drunk/is a jerk and just overreacted and punched this guy . . .

I'm not exactly a big fan of saying "the L.A. Steelers," but it's not something that deserves getting beat up, especially since this guy appears to be past his prime and at the game with his wife and daughter.

I generally think we're the best fans in the league, but if this is true (and as previously mentioned there may be reasons to doubt) then it's totally classless.

There's toughness and sticking up for your loyalties, then there's being an asshole. Hitting an older man in the back of the head over words is being an asshole.

stillers4me
10-23-2008, 06:21 AM
He was probably wacked up side the head by a Bengals fan for sticking up for Mike Brown. :toofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-23-2008, 07:04 AM
This just in....Goodell has fined Hines Ward $15,000 dollars for being in the same stadium where the incident occurred.

In other news...Marvin Lewis has obtained stadium footage of the incident and has contacted the steeler fan in question. Lewis hopes to sign the fan to a 4 year deal in hopes of havinf a least one person on his team that will hit someone.

Lewis was asked if he really wanted to have someone on his team who had such total disrespect for the law....to which Lewis responded":rofl::rofl::rofl:"

Dino 6 Rings
10-23-2008, 09:57 AM
They'd have arrested me had I been at this game. They would have been able to identify me by the imprint of 5 rings across this morons forehead.

revefsreleets
10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
This guy looks homeless to me. Smells like a plant...

HometownGal
10-23-2008, 10:02 AM
What's the guy whining about? Sue, sue, sue - it's the American way!

On a serious note, I don't like to see anyone beaten up or injured at any sporting event. He paid his money just like everyone else but obviously he's a burger shy of a Happy Meal for flapping his yap in response to what the person behind him said.

How does he know for certain that it was the Steelers fan who punked him? He said he "never turned around" and mentioned that his wife and daughter had gone to the restroom - who knows - maybe the old lady was the perp. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. :pin:

X-Terminator
10-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Let's see...

- Talks smack to a supposed "Steelers fan"
- Claims he got whacked in the head by said "Steelers fan"
- Never turns around, thus unable to identify said "Steelers fan"
- "Steelers fan" was not apprehended
- Nobody else has come forward to confirm his story, because surely he was not the only Bungles fan in the bathroom at the time

Yep, smells like :bs: to me.

meanjoecoop
10-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Nobody else has come forward to confirm his story, because surely he was not the only Bungles fan in the bathroom at the time

Yep, smells like :bs: to me.

Worse! He was in his seat at the time! It happened in full veiw of a 64,000 seat stadium filled with dozens of Bengal fans.

meanjoecoop
10-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Latest news on Day 4 of "The puch felt 'round the city"

the saga continues...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081023/SPT02/810230377/1055/NEWS

HometownGal
10-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Reed said the Steelers were winning 10-0 in the second quarter when he was punched in the face from behind by a person he assumes was a Steelers fan. Reed said his wife and step-daughter had left to use the restroom.

How convenient. His wife and step-daughter weren't there and he "assumes" he was punked by a Steelers fan. Hey picklehead- never assume. You have a 50% chance of being wrong. :doh:

I know for damned sure that if a fan (whether it be a Steelers or opposing team fan) was punched in the side of the face like that and sent ass over tin cups into a slab of concrete, I'd be chasing him down and screaming for security as I was doing so. Amazing isn't it that no one came to this guy's rescue?

Dino 6 Rings
10-23-2008, 12:55 PM
If I'd have hit him...it would say

sreleetS across his face.

WVUSteelers
10-25-2008, 03:42 AM
If it truly did happen, I feel really bad for him. There's no reason for the Steeler fan to slug him like he did if it happened. How would you feel if that would of happened to you? I sure as hell would feel terrible. Mr. Reed has every right to be angry.

stillers4me
10-25-2008, 08:07 AM
There's more holes in his story than the Bengals defense.

TeeJay
10-25-2008, 02:48 PM
So this guy thinks anybody is going to believe that that he got beat up by a Steeler fan over that?

Since nobody knows who actually punched the guy, we'll never really know what happened.

Perfect.

Self Inflicted >> :banging: Wouldn't you, if you were a Bungle? And emote is even in Bungle colours! - That's karma :tt03::hatsoff:

Crushzilla
10-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Oh man.

This is from the link MeanJoe just posted.

If you haven't taken a closer look..

...Reed was seated in the north end zone. Bedinghaus said there was increased security in the south end zone Sunday. (ahh shit... we had a 50/50 shot!) Vendors did not sell beer in the south end zone stands because of a bottle-throwing incident at that end of the stadium during the Browns game Sept. 28. Beer was sold on the concourse behind the stands and was poured into cups to prevent fans from throwing bottles onto the field.

"It seems odd, in one group of folks, there is concern about these kinds of things happening," Bedinghaus (Bengals director of business development) said. "In the south end zone, where we actually had a spike of unruly behavior during the Cleveland game, we made what we thought was a measured decision to reduce beer vending in that area, and we are being criticized for reducing beer vending in that area.

FAIL!

Only the freaking Bungals can Bungle-up a situation like this.

They thought they did enough? Obviously not.

Did they pull guys from the north endzone for the south endzone?

I know that my friend's season tickets, in Heinz, are in the "family section" down in the corner of the closed endzone. Beer vendors, I believe, can not come down there...

Is this the case around the entire field on the first level?

revefsreleets
10-25-2008, 07:23 PM
I think what REALLY happened was this dude was so upset at the thrashing his team was taking, he decided to jump off the deck and kill himself, looking to find his final reward and end his lifelong suffering...however, since failure is endemic in Cinci, he found a way to bungle even that, and he felt so stupid at his continued failure, he decided to blame his injuries on a Steelers fan.

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I think what REALLY happened was this dude was so upset at the thrashing his team was taking, he decided to jump off the deck and kill himself, looking to find his final reward and end his lifelong suffering...however, since failure is endemic in Cinci, he found a way to bungle even that, and he felt so stupid at his continued failure, he decided to blame his injuries on a Steelers fan.

could it be he hurt himself jumping head first off the bandwagon? :noidea:

steelwall
10-25-2008, 08:52 PM

Or he probably made a pass at some lady and she beat him up. To ashamed he got his arse kicked by a woman he decided to blame it on the Steeler fan on the grassy knoll.

stillers4me
10-25-2008, 09:27 PM
could it be he hurt himself jumping head first off the bandwagon? :noidea:

:toofunny:

Galax Steeler
10-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Like someone quoted earlier it was probably Hines Ward with the hit that done that he had a jersey on and Ward hit him.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-26-2008, 09:05 PM
There are so many holes in his story.

He never turned around, therefore he assumed it was a Steelers fan that socked him. Defending Mike Brown is enough to get you socked by a Bengals fan.

Second, not a sinlge Bengals fan in this section pointed out the Steelers fan who socked him? I don't beleive he was the only Bengals fan in his section or that the rest of them had gone to the bathroom...though they might have already left the game.

What probally happened is he was drunk as hell and was trying to go to the bathroom himself...and he tripped and fell. Instead of telling that embarassing story, he made up a story of getting blindsided (wow, there was a lot of blindsiding the Bengals that day!) by some Steelers fan.

I don't believe this guy was defending Mike Brown, I don't think you can get drunk enough to defend that turd.

SteelCityKingsVP
12-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Thats why you dont mess with Steeler fans. We're ruthless