PDA

View Full Version : You cant blame this one on the coaches...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Wiz called a great game IMO, and cowhers decision to kick it away w/ about 3:30 to go and put the onus on our defense to come up big was the right call. We had the game plan, especially having Ben come out throwing..no way the Bengals expected that and it showed.

It came down to simple execution. We couldnt overcome the fumbles, the interceptions, and the protection breakdowns at the wrong time to convert all the opportunities we had to win. Ben had a career day, the WR's and TE's all stepped up, but you just cant shoot yourself in the foot, and please tell me when was the last time a Steeler team fumbled 4 times and through 3 picks all in the same game. Cowher preaches taking care of the football and not beating yourself, unfortunately today thats exactly what happened.

tony hipchest
12-04-2005, 11:21 PM
last week....yes. this week...absolutely not. i thought the steelers couldve gotten away with passing on every 1st down though. i dont think more than 1-2 running play on 1st down even worked. passing was pretty good on 1st down. playcalling didnt give up a 90 yd k.o. return, and the 3 int and 3 forced fumbles comes down to protecting the ball on the field=execution.

Iron City Hangover
12-04-2005, 11:22 PM
But Cowher made mistakes in Indy and Baltimore that would have virtually made these mistakes meaningless in this game. You would have still been in the lead.

Prosdo
12-04-2005, 11:24 PM
This game definitely didn't fall on the coaches

Koopa
12-04-2005, 11:39 PM
i blame this game on special teams

tony hipchest
12-04-2005, 11:43 PM
But Cowher made mistakes in Indy and Baltimore that would have virtually made these mistakes meaningless in this game. You would have still been in the lead.

i think thats why he titled the threAD: "you cant blame this one on the coaches" meaning todays game

Iron City Hangover
12-04-2005, 11:53 PM
i think thats why he titled the threAD: "you cant blame this one on the coaches" meaning todays game
Which is why I posted, I didn't agree. Cowher is the end result of responsibility for how his team plays. You coach the mentality of not making mistakes. Costly mistakes were made. Cowher is beginning to become a liability.

tony hipchest
12-05-2005, 12:02 AM
ultimately every loss is the steelers fault. it wasnt the dolphins or 49ers out there. but sure, pin it on cowher, or ben, willie, hines, rooney whoever. cowher will gladly accept the responsibitity and perhaps you can coach them when he is fired. otherwise i agree with blitzburgh that as opposed to last week cowher coached a really good game. bengalfans still have a hardon over hanging with the colts. cowher proved his team could hang with the #2 offense despite his coaching, right?

figg
12-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Which is why I posted, I didn't agree. Cowher is the end result of responsibility for how his team plays. You coach the mentality of not making mistakes. Costly mistakes were made. Cowher is beginning to become a liability.

How's Andy doing? :busted:

24seven
12-05-2005, 12:09 AM
For sure this game was better coached. But making Ben throw 41 times is still not the answer.. I love seeing him pass and he's doing very well with a bum thumb to boot but 3 interceptions were bound to happen with the situation as it was. Maybe a healthy Ben would not have made those mistakes but the INt's he did throw were obvious no no's.. They were more along the lines of bonehead throws than thumb pained mishaps.. But if your gonna make a young qb throw that much it's bound to happen.. All in all though it was a good experience for him and I hope to see more of this in the future.. I think it was a fluke our RB's fumbling like they did and it probably won't happen again but we deffinitely can't rely on Ben to win the game on his own again or we'll still get beat.. If we lose to the Bears it's pretty much a given were done so KICK SOME ASS THIS TIME STEELERS!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2005, 12:27 AM
I can see hangovers point that this game maybe wouldnt have had the significance that it did had we beat the ratbirds, and the colts becuz the Bengals would be a full game and half behind us entering this week... BUT yes I was referring to this game in particular and our lack of execution.

The game's mistakes werent a result of being too hyped up as can sometimes be the case early due to the magnitude of this game becuz of the last 2 weeks.., it was just poor execution way too many times.

Iron City Hangover
12-05-2005, 01:22 AM
How's Andy doing? :busted:
You tell me :busted: