PDA

View Full Version : Ward: No resolve from meeting with NFL.

klick81
10-23-2008, 07:43 PM
It looks like Goodell's goon, Anderson was sent to meet with the Steelers only as a PR move, not to resolve any issues that may be lingering. Typical:

Hines Ward questioned whether the NFL applies a double standard when it comes to disciplining players for overly aggressive play on the field. The Steelers wide receiver also wondered why the NFL is just now looking into reports that some of the Ravens' defensive players put a bounty on him.

"The league looks at that and they're just aware of it," Ward said today. He added that there has been a bounty on him "for the last five or six years."

A day after an NFL executive visited with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and a handful of players, Ward called a local radio station, unsolicited, to vent about the meeting that was supposed to clear the air.

He expanded on what he said before practice today at the Steelers' South Side facility.

Ward took particular exception to comments NFL executive director of football operations Ray Anderson made regarding his block on Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers.

Ward broke Rivers' jaw last Sunday and ended the rookie first-round draft pick's season with a crack-back block. Anderson said Ward would not be fined for the block. He did tell reporters that such a hit would be reviewed by the NFL's competition committee during the offseason and could lead to a change in the rules.

Ward did not learn what Anderson had said until after the latter had met with the Steelers.

"It was like 'OK, you didn't tell that in the meeting that we spoke about. So then you're really saying my hit was dirty,' " Ward said. "Those hits have been happening all year long and it's funny how after my hit it may be an illegal hit next year.

“There’s probably a play like that every Sunday in the highlights. But now Hines Ward makes a hit and a guy gets hurt and there might be a rule change. They might say, ‘That’s illegal.’ I’m helping my guy get extra yards. How can that be illegal?”

Anderson met with Tomlin and select Steelers Wednesday to discuss safety and how the league enforces rules that are designed to protect the players.

The Steelers, who had questioned some of the fines their players had received recently, called the meeting beneficial. Ward, however, had a considerably different take on it a day later.

"They came, they spoke, I spoke but there was really no resolve from it," Ward said. "I still haven't gotten the answers."

Anderson said Wednesday the league is not singling out Ward, who has recently been fined twice for a total of $15,000 for unnecessary roughness.

When asked if the NFL is targeting him, Ward said, "I hope not. I'm not going to change the way I play."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_594843.html

Sharkissle29
10-23-2008, 07:51 PM
god he's a BAMF if you dont know what that is, you aint one.

fansince'76
10-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Anderson met with Tomlin and select Steelers Wednesday to discuss safety and how the league enforces rules that are designed to protect the players.

Sorry, but I call bullshit. Once again, where's the fine on Shaun Rogers for the late hit on Ben if they're trying to "protect players' safety?"

Anderson said Wednesday the league is not singling out Ward....

Also bullshit. See statement regarding Rogers above.

FU, Goodell. :upyours:

Steelman16
10-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Pansy League here we come!

:coffee:

tyler289
10-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Good for Hines. Seems like Goodell and Anderson ARE singling him out and he's pissed (he should be).

If that kind of hit is made illegal next year, then Goodell will have effectively made this the No Fun League.

STEELAMANIA
10-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Goodell is causing players to smoke weed and sniff coke.

lilyoder6
10-24-2008, 05:33 PM
this is getting stupid... like ward said, the hits he is deleirving is happening evry sunday, but he is the only one getting into trouble...

steel9guy
10-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Jeez when are they gonna start suspending players for making a tackle? I used to think Roger was an ok commishioner but now he's going over the line.

SteelersMongol
10-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Good for Hines. Seems like Goodell and Anderson ARE singling him out and he's pissed (he should be)...

Goodell is racist. He hates Asians. (just kidding). LOL. :chuckle:

T&B fan
10-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Sorry, but I call bullshit. Once again, where's the fine on Shaun Rogers for the late hit on Ben if they're trying to "protect players' safety?"

Also bullshit. See statement regarding Rogers above.

FU, Goodell. :upyours:

yup you got it right :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
10-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Goodell and his croonies should sit in his high office every Sunday and shut his mouth and let the players settle it on the field.