PDA

View Full Version : EDIT: DA Drops Marijuana Charges Against Holmes

fugawzi
10-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Hey guys. Dolphins fan here (yea I know we suck) living in the Pittsburgh area. Let me say congrats on the strong start this season. I like the Steelers, have many friends who are Steeler fans. Anyhow, I wanted to know what people thought about Santonio getting caught with weed today. WPXI reported he got caught with "3 blunts" while driving an SUV with an out of state license plate around Mellon Arena.

I just remember catching shit from some people around here last year when I defended Ricky Williams weed use. I made a comment about the bong jokes getting old, and that it shouldn't really matter because I don't think weed is a performance enhancing drug anyway. I feel the same way about this Holmes story. Yea it's illegal, any NFL player should know better.

SO...since I know some of you are so opinionated on this subject, what do you think about Santonio's latest run in with the law? Just like Ricky, he's had issues in the past. (disorderly conduct, domestic violence) Do you think he might get suspended?

I didn't see this story posted here anywhere, forgive me if it was.

MACH1
10-23-2008, 10:30 PM
LINK.......

ricksteelers55
10-23-2008, 10:32 PM
well if it's true he'll have to deal with the consequences

Shoes
10-23-2008, 10:33 PM
well if it's true he'll have to deal with the consequences
and.................

Link!

klick81
10-23-2008, 10:34 PM
You're kidding, right? I need a news source!

If this is real, Holmes just made a very stupid mistake. I don't care if these guys do that ___ on their off-time, but I don't understand what's so hard about keeping your nose clean during the season.

They KNOW they're getting tested!!!

klick81
10-23-2008, 10:36 PM
By the way, you just know Peezy hated taking that picture in your signature. I mean...his personality just doesn't go well with inflatable Dolphins :laughing:

fugawzi
10-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Sorry guys. It's weird I can't find a link for you. I'm looking everywhere. KDKA or WPXI I don't see it on their site. I saw it on 11 o' clock news on WPXI. I'll keep looking I'm sure they'll post it. It just happened tonight. I'm sure it's true though, I wouldn't have posted if it wasn't.

fugawzi
10-23-2008, 10:37 PM
By the way, you just know Peezy hated taking that picture in your signature. I mean...his personality just doesn't go well with inflatable Dolphins :laughing:

Yea I don't know what he was thinking. For all I know it was photoshopped.

steelwall
10-23-2008, 10:38 PM
If it was true it would be all over the internet.....

Borski
http://www.wpxi.com/news/17791739/detail.html

ugh

jjpro11
not smart santonio......

klick81
10-23-2008, 10:39 PM
:doh:

Steeler Santonio Holmes Accused Of Marijuana Possession
Drugs Found During Traffic Stop
Thursday, October 23, 2008 – updated: 10:52 pm EDT October 23, 2008

PITTSBURGH -- Police cited Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes on charges of marijuana possession Thursday afternoon.

Pittsburgh police said Holmes was driving a SUV with out-of-state license plates near Mellon Arena. The vehicle matched the description of one linked to a crime, so officers made an investigatory stop.

“When they pulled him over, they found there was a smell of burnt marijuana in the vehicle," said Sgt. James Vogel. “Mr. Holmes was very cooperative with officers and turned over some items to us and was subsequently summoned for those items...a couple of marijuana blunts.”

Police said Holmes turned over three marijuana cigars. Officers charged Holmes with one misdemeanor count of possession of a small amount of marijuana. Holmes was given a summons to court and released.

Vogel said Holmes was very cooperative, respectful and wasn’t impaired. He thinks that should be taken into account when it comes to any potential action taken against him by the Steelers and the NFL.

“We wouldn't expect a steelworker to be laid off or suspended without pay,” said Vogel. “I wouldn't expect a police officer, firefighter or a member of the Steelers.”

The Steelers did not have any comment.

The NFL policy for substance abuse says for a first violation, the NFL could fine and suspend a player without pay for up to four regular games or six games for a second violation.
Copyright 2008 by WPXI.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This is just what the Steelers need; an easy target for Goodell.

jjpro11
10-23-2008, 10:39 PM

ugh

beat me by a couple seconds! :flap:

fugawzi
10-23-2008, 10:40 PM

It's TRUE. Someone just posted a link.

jjpro11
10-23-2008, 10:40 PM
well get ready for tomorrow morning guys.. this will be all over espn and the internet. as if all the fines hoopla wasnt enough.

steelwall
10-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Ok Wilson/Sweed get ready...... These athletes these days.....geez

MACH1
10-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Guess we'll be without Santo's services for the four weeks.
:banging:STUPID:banging:

klick81
10-23-2008, 10:43 PM

We are...:chuckle:

Borski
10-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Gotta pick up Sweed on fantasy now, cause Holmes will most likely be suspended.

We'll see what Sweed's got

fugawzi
10-23-2008, 10:45 PM
not smart santonio......

That's what I thought to myself. Why the hell is he driving around BLAZING in downtown Pittsburgh? Just stay at home if you have to do that. Allegedly blazing that is.

The Duke
10-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Gotta pick up Sweed on fantasy now, cause Holmes will most likely be suspended.

Sweed? I'll pick up nate. before this I was thinking about it, but this might be the sign to do it

Vogel said Holmes was very cooperative, respectful and wasn’t impaired. He thinks that should be taken into account when it comes to any potential action taken against him by the Steelers and the NFL.

We can only hope so.

get ready to play sweed, we might need ya

X-Terminator
10-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Here's hoping he gets off with a fine but is not suspended. I doubt it though.

What is it with these athletes who just can't use their brains? :doh:

Borski
10-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Sweed? I'll pick up nate. before this I was thinking about it, but this might be the sign to do it

We can only hope so.

get ready to play sweed, we might need ya

True! I thought he was taken already.

MACH1
10-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Here's hoping he gets off with a fine but is not suspended. I doubt it though.

What is it with these athletes who just can't use their brains? :doh:

Just something else for goodell to make an example of. :doh:

Steel_Bus_24
10-23-2008, 10:55 PM
wtf santonio??:banging:

fugawzi
10-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Just something else for goodell to make an example of. :doh:

Hopefully not. I like Santonio. Has he had any drug issues before? Don't forget Goodell reinstated Ricky after his REPETITIVE weed issues. I didn't think he was going to. Roger will probably go light on him if it comes to that.

Borski
10-23-2008, 11:02 PM
I just hope it dosnt become a repetitive issue like it did with R Williams. While I was disappointed Williams keept smoking the weed, I'm glad the NFL gave him a 2nd (and 3rd, and 4th...) chance because his problem would of only gotten worse if it was out of the league.

And finally Williams seems to be drug free for awhile now.

fugawzi
10-23-2008, 11:09 PM
I just hope it dosnt become a repetitive issue like it did with R Williams.

Agreed. It's not something you want to go through as a fan. People constantly making jokes, not knowing if he will ever play again. I was pissed at Ricky so many times. Then forgave him. Then pissed again. I think I like him again now. Holmes is far from that though. It just better stop here.

jjpro11
10-23-2008, 11:17 PM
already on pft. spreading like wildfire on the internet.

ShutDown24
10-23-2008, 11:41 PM
What the ownership should do, they won't. If I ran the team (And I know this is easy to say sitting behind my computer and hard to backup as management) Holmes would be traded. I said this with Harrison as well when his domestic violence happened. I would not deal with any legal trouble whatsoever with my franchise. I said cut Harrison when that happened, I say trade Holmes this off-season (His contract as a first rounder would be tough to swallow the hit if you cut him). I own his jersey (The only authentic NFL jersey I have) and the guy is one of my favorite players. And even with that in mind, I wouldn't put up with this. This sounds extreme, but it would be the right thing to do. I'm all for guys getting second chances, but I wouldn't let it be here - leave that to jerry Jones.

fansince'76
10-23-2008, 11:49 PM
What the ownership should do, they won't. If I ran the team (And I know this is easy to say sitting behind my computer and hard to backup as management) Holmes would be traded. I said this with Harrison as well when his domestic violence happened. I would not deal with any legal trouble whatsoever with my franchise. I said cut Harrison when that happened, I say trade Holmes this off-season (His contract as a first rounder would be tough to swallow the hit if you cut him). I own his jersey (The only authentic NFL jersey I have) and the guy is one of my favorite players. And even with that in mind, I wouldn't put up with this. This sounds extreme, but it would be the right thing to do. I'm all for guys getting second chances, but I wouldn't let it be here - leave that to jerry Jones.

Not going there personally, as I took a ton of shit for having the same view about Harrison. All I'll say is I couldn't agree with you more and that's all I have to say about it.

PalmerSteel
10-23-2008, 11:56 PM
wow think he will be ready sunday?

fugawzi
10-23-2008, 11:59 PM
wow think he will be ready sunday?

You mean do you think he will play or will he be suspended? Personally I think he might get suspended for 4 games. That's what they were saying on the news when the story broke. If so, he still might play this Sunday. Hopefully...they could use him against the G-men.

SunshineMan21
10-24-2008, 12:06 AM

While this is undoubtedly a dumb move, I've always had trouble seeing minor marijuana use as a matter of immorality. I think trading a guy for something like this would be less disciplinarian and more draconian.

In contrast, cutting a guy for Cedric Wilson's behavior was perfectly justified. We have no place for guys doing that stuff on the Steelers. I just find it tough to equate being caught with a couple of blunts to punching a women in the face.

WVUSteelers
10-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Remember that the NFL only suspends if they are convicted I believe. I think that these charges might be dropped, as a first warning I guess. Needless to say, the commi$h will probably suspend him. And what a few games for him to be suspended in, especially with us going into our hardest stretch of the schedule. I think Holmes will chalk this up as as a learning experience and be a bit smarter. Hopefully, atleast, he's our best receiver. I also think that calling him to be traded is a tad bit extreme. If he does it a second time, then some consideration must be made.

fugawzi
10-24-2008, 12:09 AM
While this is undoubtedly a dumb move, I've always had trouble seeing minor marijuana use as a matter of immorality. I think trading a guy for something like this would be less disciplinarian and more draconian.

In contrast, cutting a guy for Cedric Wilson's behavior was perfectly justified. We have no place for guys doing that stuff on the Steelers. I just find it tough to equate being caught with a couple of blunts to punching a women in the face.

AGREED.

ChronoCross
10-24-2008, 12:14 AM
It will be awhile before he is suspended.. so we will have him for a few games.. kinda sad this stars and players you rely on sundays do this crap and put a notch against there career.

fansince'76
10-24-2008, 12:14 AM
In contrast, cutting a guy for Cedric Wilson's behavior was perfectly justified. We have no place for guys doing that stuff on the Steelers.

(cough) James (cough) Harrison (cough)

Borski
10-24-2008, 12:16 AM
While this was a dumb move and there is no excuse for that dumb behavior. I don't think we should cut him or trade him. If this was a more serios legal issue then yes, but it isnt the same as getting into a fight or being involved in a night club shooting. Holmes should take his suspension and learn from his mistakes and use this as a learning issue to wise up and stop drug use now. and let it become a building block to a successful drug free career.

If he becomes a repeat offender then it becomes an issue of getting rid of him.

fugawzi
10-24-2008, 12:17 AM
It will be awhile before he is suspended.. so we will have him for a few games.. kinda sad this stars and players you rely on sundays do this crap and put a notch against there career.

The funny thing is, when this broke on the news, they played a clip of Holmes in the locker room yesterday morning saying something to the effect of "I'm willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for my team." I'm paraphrasing but it's just a little ironic he got busted the same day.

jjpro11
10-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Remember that the NFL only suspends if they are convicted I believe. I think that these charges might be dropped, as a first warning I guess. Needless to say, the commi$h will probably suspend him. And what a few games for him to be suspended in, especially with us going into our hardest stretch of the schedule. I think Holmes will chalk this up as as a learning experience and be a bit smarter. Hopefully, atleast, he's our best receiver. I also think that calling him to be traded is a tad bit extreme. If he does it a second time, then some consideration must be made.

times have changed.. goodell suspends players just for being involved with the law.. in this case, he was pretty much caught red handed anyway. the whole legal system is for another day..

matt jones of the jags was recently suspended 3 games with the possibility of getting it cut to 2 games for being arrested for and charged for felony cocaine possession. i dont think holmes is getting 4 games.

Edman
10-24-2008, 01:01 AM
Most NFL Players are stupid.

Unfortunately Santo is one of them. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

moedap
10-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Santonio has got to be the dumbest motherf***er in the world. Not for smoking weed because it should be legalized(alcohol is more dangerous than weed) but dumb for a few reasons.

1. Riding around at night with out of state tags(probably Florida tags which says "possible drug dealers").

"The vehicle matched the description of one linked to a crime, so officers made an investigatory stop." (http://www.wpxi.com/news/17791739/detail.html)
Thats the bs police use when they have no reason to stop a vehicle.

2. Cooperating when they pulled him over(a smell doesnt warrant a search I would have made them get a warrant if they wanted to search).

3. He should have eaten the evidence it was only 2 blunts.(he would have still acheived his goal of getting high).

Preacher
10-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Steelers should bench him twice as long as the league...

and if it happens again, cut him.

Either this team takes the high road.. or not.

I don't care who it is.

Borski
10-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Santonio has got to be the dumbest motherf***er in the world. Not for smoking weed because it should be legalized(alcohol is more dangerous than weed) but dumb for a few reasons.

1. Riding around at night with out of state tags(probably Florida tags which says "possible drug dealers").

"The vehicle matched the description of one linked to a crime, so officers made an investigatory stop." (http://www.wpxi.com/news/17791739/detail.html)
Thats the bs police use when they have no reason to stop a vehicle.

2. Cooperating when they pulled him over(a smell doesnt warrant a search I would have made them get a warrant if they wanted to search).

3. He should have eaten the evidence it was only 2 blunts.(he would have still acheived his goal of getting high).

Since when? In my law class in college they said the smell of weed was a common use as an excuse to search a vehicle or home. Teachers have been wrong before, but I believe its a perfectly legitimate reason to search a car. also if he didnt cooperate he could have more charges on him and be viewed as a thug in the league, not something we need.

Galax Steeler
10-24-2008, 03:49 AM
Just when everything seems to be going right this happens you have distractions on the team who know this could start us in a downward spiral we don't need this.

stillers4me
10-24-2008, 05:17 AM
Son of a bitch. Here we're going into the toughest part of our schedule nearly 100% healthy and fully loaded for the run and he does something stupid like this.

What a dumbass.

DACEB
10-24-2008, 05:50 AM
Big deal, mary should be legal anyway. Blaze on Santo!!

7/39/43
10-24-2008, 06:44 AM
I always told my wife this guy will be in trouble real soon. SEE YA!
Time to step it up Sweed and prove that you are worthy of a #2 pick

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 07:44 AM
I warned ya about them cornrows....they're evil!!!

It's more than stupid- I could care less if he smokes the weed - probably half of every NFL team smokes the rope - just don't get caught!

Don't drive around making a target of yourself! How many times do we have to tell these guys? Don't make the headlines!

...and dude - get rid of the evidence!!! Don't leave it in the car- throw it out!

LOL!

He's not getting cut.......chill out beotches

hahahaha...it's just a little weed.....he's not going anywhere

the_king_from_leon
10-24-2008, 07:49 AM
I warned ya about them cornrows....they're evil!!!

It's more than stupid- I could care less if he smokes the weed - probably half of every NFL team smokes the rope - just don't get caught!

Don't drive around making a target of yourself! How many times do we have to tell these guys? Don't make the headlines!

...and dude - get rid of the evidence!!! Don't leave it in the car- throw it out!

LOL!

He's not getting cut.......chill out beotches

hahahaha...it's just a little weed.....he's not going anywhere

Im glad Im not the only one who finds this quite funny! I for one think that Santonio has just gone up in my books! Always been a fan of his and just think that its all being blown out of proportion.....what a legend!

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 07:56 AM
I don't think it's funny - I'm pissed as hell. He's an idiot for getting caught the way he did.

I can just see that big grinning smirk that Rich Eisen will have reporting this story.when it gets splashed all over the headlines.

...but it's not like he was selling bags to kids on the street-corner in a school-zone.

No need to overreact - I bet a piss test is in his immediate future though.

TheWarDen86
10-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Why don' they just legalize the stuff already. I know, doesn't matter and Santonio IS a fool for putting himself in this situation, but... just sayin'.

Goodell is going to have a field day with this.:banging:

GBMelBlount
10-24-2008, 08:11 AM
I personally don't have a major problem with recreational drug use in private. I would simply tell him his actions were selfish, inconsiderate and lacked good judgement and one more more slip and he is gone. I personally don't like the league meting out punishment either. It's a slippery slope.

SteelMember
10-24-2008, 08:17 AM

Where I'm from that IS probable cause. Just the same as (the smell) of alcohol.

I'm not going to condone this behavior, but there seems to be some information missing. Was the smell because he just started smoking and he wasn't impaired...yet, or was this "smoking blunt" extinguished for some time. Maybe there were others in the truck that were dropped off. The company he keeps senerio. :noidea:

Either way, he is responsible for what or who is in his vehicle at all times.

He should know better and not take risks like this. Even if it should be legal (and is in some instances).:twocents:

revefsreleets
10-24-2008, 08:55 AM
I'd rather have the dude lit than trashed on booze. Not condoning it, just saying the dope smokers I know are a pretty peacable sort...never heard of anybody getting high and getting in fights or shotting up nudey bars or stabbing people...

memphissteelergirl
10-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Steelers should bench him twice as long as the league...

and if it happens again, cut him.

Either this team takes the high road.. or not.

I don't care who it is.

Exactly! We're the first to flame players on other teams when they're busted for something like this, then when we see it happen to guys on our team we shrug and say "no big deal?" C'mon people! Are we that hypocritical here?? While there are past Steeler players who have done the same thing Santo did (just didn't get caught), so I am not so delusional to think this team is not immune from this kind of controversy, but as a whole the organization has tried to keep itself above this kinda crap.

Santo, you're an amazing athlete, but dag! Think!! :banging:

I hope the FO lowers the boom on him in addition to any punishment the league hands out! He has to made an example.

Ugh! I'm so p*ssed right now I could spit fire! :mad::mad:

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Wa to go Santardio....Way to put yourself ahead of the team. Just when I finally started liking this kid he proves my instincts right.

Vis
10-24-2008, 09:10 AM
It's a stupid move. But it's not cheating or immoral. He's stupid for risking his career and the team's goals to smoke. That's why I wouldn't. But legalize it and I would.

Steelerfreak58
10-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Homes has lost my respect. Not because he smokes pot but because he put his own selfishness before the team.

This team is 5-1 but could easily be 2-3 if some things went differently. We have lost a lot of players to injuries and many people have had to step up and fill roles (which they have done a damn good job). We are entering the toughest part of the schedule taking on some of the NFL's best teams over the next 5 games. Holmes instead goes driving around and smoking some weed..... WTF!!!!!

Well Mr. Sweed I hope you are ready.

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-24-2008, 09:17 AM
My question is...Is he going to be suspended for this weekends game? We have a brutal stretch coming up with the NYG, Skins, Colts then Chargers. This is just all bad timing.

GeneralRobinson
10-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Steelers need to stop ending their practices at 4:20.:sofunny:

Vis
10-24-2008, 09:38 AM
I wonder what percentage of NFL players use.

tony hipchest
10-24-2008, 09:51 AM
holmes needs to use the "it was my friends" line. but just leave out that his friends are hines, nate, and ben.

i dont agree but i guess he gets the same penalty as kevin faulk and possibly 2 games for this being his 2nd run in with the law.

im not suprized hes one of the steelers who blaze it up.

i would guess maybe ike and fast willie too. they just seem too chill and laid back ALL the time.

and we know hampton and jeff reed like to party. theyve had to have gotten a "contact" plenty of times.

bad news though. we dont need the distractions. i think nate will fill in fine. he seems more focused when hes a larger part of the gameplan.

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 09:59 AM
He wasn't arrested.....he should play.

Just now hitting all the airwaves....

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers receiver and former Ohio State player Santonio Holmes will be charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession after a traffic stop in which police smelled burning marijuana and found marijuana-filled cigars in his car.

"He's going to be summoned," said police Sgt. R. Griffith, meaning Holmes was not arrested after the incident Thursday, but will receive notice of the charge in the mail.

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-24-2008, 10:03 AM
INTEGRITY QUESTION FOR ALL:

If you were the hometown police officer that caught him, would you write up the citation or let him off and dispose of the evidence.

Pittsky
10-24-2008, 10:06 AM
what a moron....he deserves everything he gets. we dont need anything demoralizing our team right now. he is F'in selfish. pisses me off. :mad:

Pittsky
10-24-2008, 10:08 AM
sorry. double post.

steelpride12
10-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Homes seriously is the trouble maker on the team, and sorry to say needs to be punished.

This is rediculous and ruins my day knowing this story which is embarrassing as well, i hope the Steelers make the right choice and just fine him instead of suspension.

JShockey
10-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Homes seriously is the trouble maker on the team, and sorry to say needs to be punished.

This is rediculous and ruins my day knowing this story which is embarrassing as well, i hope the Steelers make the right choice and just fine him instead of suspension.

What about the League suspending him?

steelpride12
10-24-2008, 10:17 AM
What about the League suspending him?

Of course if i don't want the team to suspend him i wouldn't want the league doing it as well?! :dang:

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 10:31 AM
holmes needs to use the "it was my friends" line. but just leave out that his friends are hines, nate, and ben....

Ha! No kidding....deny deny deny - that's what a criminal would do.

He'll get a ticket in the mail for another jaywalking fine...oh well.

First he was out past 10:00pm, and now this?

Why did he get stopped in the first place? Driving while black?

Nope, there's no hope for Santonio from all them ivory tower dwellers here.

JShockey
10-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Of course if i don't want the team to suspend him i wouldn't want the league doing it as well?! :dang:

I know that...

I just find it odd that Goodell would not do something.

Carl Banks on WFAN right now in NYC said he thinks Holmes will not play.

We shall see...

Either way, good luck this weekend. :drink:

the_king_from_leon
10-24-2008, 10:46 AM
My friend just send me an email that read Smoketonio Holmes! classic!

CanadianSteel
10-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Bad move by Santonio, getting caught here. Hopefully he learns from this and is only suspeneded one game as he wasn't even arrested here. Faulk on NE got one game suspension and Santo should get no more.
Unfortunately knowing Goddell and his nut sucking the *PATs I wouldn't be surprised of he got more, also considering the other events this week with Hines and Troy the scumbag Commish may decide to just screw the Steelers here.

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 10:53 AM
If Holmes is OUT we're doomed...Nate better not screw up.

GeneralRobinson
10-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Steelers' Tomlin to address Holmes drug charges after practice
Friday, October 24, 2008
By Sadie Gurman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes will face marijuana possession charges after police said they found marijana-filled cigars in a vehicle he was driving yesterday.

Holmes, the Steelers' first-round pick in the 2006 draft, was stopped yesterday afternoon near Mellon Arena and will receive a court summons charging him with possession of a small amount of the drug.

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin will address Holmes' situation and his status for Sunday's game against the New York Giants following the team's morning practice today. Holmes was withheld from practice.

In June 2006, Holmes was arrested in Ohio on domestic violence charges, which were later dismissed. The charges stemmed from an incident involving LaShae Boone of Columbus, the mother of one of his three children. The charges were dismissed after the judge in the case was assured by Holmes' lawyers that their client was participating in ongoing counseling offered through the NFL.

Holmes was also arrested in South Beach, Fla., for disorderly conduct during a Memorial Day weekend crackdown by local authorities in 2006.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08298/922557-66.stm

Joke Alert

During his press conference, Coach Tomlin took issue with a reporter's question.

"We don't have back-ups on this team. We have sparkers...er....starters in waiting.

section514
10-24-2008, 11:05 AM
I blame the Pittsburgh Police for not noticing him, its weed, not crack.

Godfather
10-24-2008, 11:06 AM
My problem is this is the third time he's had a run-in with the law. He's too stupid to be a Steeler.

section514
10-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Vogel said Holmes was very cooperative, respectful and wasn’t impaired. He thinks that should be taken into account when it comes to any potential action taken against him by the Steelers and the NFL. From WPXI

AKA: We're sorry we didn't release him, don't suspend him NFL, he was pulled over by a guy who just moved in from cleveland.

GeneralRobinson
10-24-2008, 11:13 AM
My problem is this is the third time he's had a run-in with the law. He's too stupid to be a Steeler.

Interesting point. I wonder if there is language in his contract about a third strike and you're out.

GeneralRobinson
10-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Vogel said Holmes was very cooperative, respectful and wasn’t impaired. He thinks that should be taken into account when it comes to any potential action taken against him by the Steelers and the NFL. From WPXI

AKA: We're sorry we didn't release him, don't suspend him NFL, he was pulled over by a guy who just moved in from cleveland.

That is too funny. Defintely not your typical quote from a law enforcement officer regarding a drug related incident.

steelreserve
10-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Well, if he does get suspended, good thing we drafted a receiver this year, eh?

Let's see if Sweed can play, and no matter what happens, at least we know we get Holmes back soon for sure.

Dino 6 Rings
10-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Ok.

Rule 1 of driving around with weed in your car. If you can't EAT IT in 5 seconds, then you have too much on you. Dumbarse!

tony hipchest
10-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Interesting point. I wonder if there is language in his contract about a third strike and you're out.
his 1st 2 "strikes" were before he signed a contract.

Dino 6 Rings
10-24-2008, 11:20 AM
He'll be suspended. And it'll be a good call to have him riding the pines thinking about how much he let down his team with his greedy "I want to get high" behavior.

Dude, in 10 years, when you leave the NFL you'll be able to smoke as much dope as you want in the comfort of your own mansion. What the FCK are you doing smoking it now, and Driving around the City with it in your car.

He should be benched for Being Stupid.

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 11:21 AM
I blame the Pittsburgh Police for not noticing him, its weed, not crack.

Good point

I'm not a cop, but if I was a cop, and I caught a Steeler doing anything less than a felony - I'd wave him on his way. He's a STEELER dammit - scruples be dammed - we got a game to win!

Dino 6 Rings
10-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Good point

I'm not a cop, but if I was a cop, and I caught a Steeler doing anything less than a felony - I'd wave him on his way. He's a STEELER dammit - scruples be dammed - we got a game to win!

Not me, if you're a dumb s.o.b. and are driving around with blunts on you, then you deserve to get fined and penalized for being a stupid mother effer.

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Putting your personal cop prejudices ahead of what's best for the Steelers is not very supportive of your team. Wave him on his way, I say, or it'll refect on your next job evaluation.

(That was a joke)

SuzyPeppercorn
10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
i thought holmes was on his way up and was finally starting to take after ward. looks like i was wrong. if they benched him the rest of the year i wouldnt mind much. lets see what the rest of the receiving core is made of.

DACEB
10-24-2008, 12:14 PM

Amen to that brother!!

LVSteelersfan
10-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Tough call here. I personally think that the fact that weed is illegal is stupid. But since it is illegal, Holmes needs to be punished. If it was you or me, they throw the book at you and sit you in jail for the evening. Double standards are wrong. Dumb a $ $ is hurting his career because putting smoke in your lungs impairs your running, slows you down, and is just plain stupid. That includes cigarettes, pot, whatever. Athletes in their prime need to do whatever they can to keep their bodies in shape. They only have to wait a few years until they are washed up and they can party all they want. I honestly don't think this deserves sending him packing, but it does deserve at least a one game suspension by the team. I am sure the Gestapo will suspend him as well.

paw-n-maul-u
10-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Some bull. I thought it was funny that the article on ESPN says (about his domestic violence charge) that he was not going to get charged as long as he assured them that he would get anger management counseling

I guess he just decided to use the herbal remedies approach. He just needed to "chill out". bahaha

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 12:31 PM
If it was you or me, they throw the book at you and sit you in jail for the evening.

ahhhh - that's a negative. Same thing probably would have happened.
He wasn't arrested - will get a ticket in the mail.

Misdemeanor pot = jaywalking ticket.

1st offense - probably just probation - not even a fine....depending on where you live.

bozz723
10-24-2008, 02:56 PM
The fact that they criminalize weed is absurd, and I dont even smoke.

The fact that Tomlin is deactivating Holmes is even more asinine, I dont care if it is illegal or not, when there is an asinine rule you have to do everything in your power to stand up against it. Especially since he wasn't even arrested. Completely ridiculous.

Borski
10-24-2008, 03:06 PM
The fact that they criminalize weed is absurd, and I dont even smoke.

The fact that Tomlin is deactivating Holmes is even more asinine, I dont care if it is illegal or not, when there is an asinine rule you have to do everything in your power to stand up against it. Especially since he wasn't even arrested. Completely ridiculous.

eh, I think the steelers should stand up and show they don't condone this type of behavior. While I also agree weed shouldn't be illegal (I don't smoke anything or drink) because it is less dangerous then alcohol and we could but high taxes on it to pay for other things. the fact remains that it currently is against the law and one of our players broke that law.

If the Steelers take action against a player then the NFL will see that and may not feel the need to give him their own suspension. Hopefully Holmes learns from this mistake.

Preacher
10-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Ha! No kidding....deny deny deny - that's what a criminal would do.

He'll get a ticket in the mail for another jaywalking fine...oh well.

First he was out past 10:00pm, and now this?

Why did he get stopped in the first place? Driving while black?

Driving while black? No, driving an SUV with out of state license plates in an area that the police had previous been told to watch out for an SUV with out of state license plates because the person is selling drugs. Any questions, or do you want to carry on with assumptions?

Ivory tower dwellers? Respecting authority (even when you disagree with it) isn't dwelling in an ivory tower. Its being an adult. He broke the law. PERIOD.

Stylez1877
10-24-2008, 03:34 PM

Because the guy smoked weed??? Domestic violence - I MAYBE see where you are coming from. He is hurting another human being, and a woman at that. Still good luck with that, you cut Harrison and we aren't 5-1 this year, thats what it comes down to.
But you want to cut Santonio because he smokes weed?? Get off your high horse. It was not smart, but you would probably rather him have been on steroids, yes?? This isn't the morality league. These are real people. If you cut everyone who has some sort of problem in their lives, you are going to be left with few NFL stars. The things T.O does are more detrimental to his team and himself than Santonio getting high in his free time.

PisnNapalm
10-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Suspend his ass for 4 games without pay. Minimum. If he gets busted again, cut him. I don't want drug profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityf ilter and dope smokers on the Steelers.

It just pisses me right the f*** off when a Steelers player does anything to tarnish the team's image.

Preacher
10-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Because the guy smoked weed??? Domestic violence - I MAYBE see where you are coming from. He is hurting another human being, and a woman at that. Still good luck with that, you cut Harrison and we aren't 5-1 this year, thats what it comes down to.
But you want to cut Santonio because he smokes weed?? Get off your high horse. It was not smart, but you would probably rather him have been on steroids, yes?? This isn't the morality league. These are real people. If you cut everyone who has some sort of problem in their lives, you are going to be left with few NFL stars. The things T.O does are more detrimental to his team and himself than Santonio getting high in his free time.

Um.. real people are supposed to be moral people.

Stylez1877
10-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Um.. real people are supposed to be moral people.

Smoking weed is immoral??
I don't know where you come from, but you get a room full of 50+ grown men, in the REAL WORLD, not all of them are going to be saints. Real people aren't saints, thats all there is to it. I don't know what carebear land you grew up in.

You're telling me you can't look back in your past and say something you have done was stupid, immoral, or just plain selfish?? (smoking weed is two of these, in Santonio's case, but certainly not immoral)

steel9guy
10-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Watch Roger suspend him for the year.

lilyoder6
10-24-2008, 04:25 PM
it's going 2 be a misdeamenor and thats it... sometimes ppl just need to chill the f out... i mean it's not like this is the 1st team a professional player has gotten into trouble... the same shit always happens unless it's something severe like vick, but u don't need to go off handle evrytime this happens.. b/c there will still be problems like this in the future

meanjoecoop
10-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Suspend his ass for 4 games without pay. Minimum. If he gets busted again, cut him. I don't want drug profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityf ilter and dope smokers on the Steelers.

It just pisses me right the f*** off when a Steelers player does anything to tarnish the team's image.

Ditto

...on the other hand his trade value with the Cincinnati Bengals just went through the roof.

fugawzi
10-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Where's my buddy 'lamberts-lost-tooth'? I'd like to hear his take on this.

Steelman16
10-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Ditto

...on the other hand his trade value with the Cincinnati Bengals just went through the roof.

:doh:

I definitely don't condone what he did, but I sure wouldn't wanna see him with the Bungles!

Tomlin already deactivated him for Sunday's game, so we'll wait and see what kind of sentence Goodell hands down.

My guess is that the Steelers ownership will have a meeting with Holmes and give him the Harrison talk. Cut it out, or be cut.

Steeldude
10-24-2008, 04:40 PM
hopefully the NFL suspends holmes. maybe then he will screw his head on straight.

meanjoecoop
10-24-2008, 10:30 PM
http://www.fakesportsblogs.com/files/ricky_pot.jpg

Ricky Williams:

In March of 2002 Williams tested positive for marijuana shortly after he joined the Dolphins, along with former punter Andrew Tomasjewski.

In December of 2003 Williams again tested positive for marijuana. He was given a $650,000 fine and a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

He failed a third drug test in August of 2004. Williams announced his retirement on August 2, 2004, he was ineligible to play for the 2004 season.

Williams officially returned to the Dolphins on July 24, 2005, paid back a percentage of his signing bonus and completed his four game suspension for substance abuse.

On February 20, 2006, it was announced that Williams had violated the NFL drug policy for the fourth time.

April 25, 2006, Williams was suspended for the entire 2006 season for testing positive for a drug other than marijuana.

In October 2007, Roger Goodell granted his request for reinstatement.

Williams returned for a Monday Night Football Game on November 26, 2007. He rushed 6 times for 15 yards before a Steelers defender accidentally stepped on his right shoulder, tearing his pectoral muscle. The next day it was reported that he would miss the rest of the season.

Santonio Holmes:

October 23, 2008, Police Officers charge Holmes with one misdemeanor count of possession of a small amount of marijuana. He was given a summons to court and released.

I don’t think we are quite up to the level of Ricky Williams just yet…:chuckle:

Borski
10-24-2008, 10:51 PM

Yes, it is.

I don't know where you come from, but you get a room full of 50+ grown men, in the REAL WORLD, not all of them are going to be saints. Real people aren't saints, thats all there is to it. I don't know what carebear land you grew up in.

Nobody is perfect, that doesnt change the fact that lots of thing people do are immoral.
Swearing for instance is immoral, I'm sure all of us have done that at one time or anoth other, that doesn't mean its not immoral.

You're telling me you can't look back in your past and say something you have done was stupid, immoral, or just plain selfish?? (smoking weed is two of these, in Santonio's case, but certainly not immoral)

I don't think he said he has never done anything immoral in his life, but I will leave that question to him.

Fact remains that what Santiono Holmes did was not only immoral, but it was against the law. case closed.

Makaveli
10-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Just a hunch,.......but i will go on record as saying that at the very least 95% of the members of this message board have "indulged" to varying degrees at whatever past or present points of their lives. Bottom line,.......cast the first stone. (and various other birkenstock cliches)

Havik
10-24-2008, 11:36 PM
I don't think it's a big deal. Holmes got caught with a bit of weed, he didn't do anything to hurt anyone. I don't think he deserves to be suspended. It's not like he was dealing crack, pulling guns on people, or dogfighting. There are many players in the NFL that have done so much worse. Besides, I'm willing to bet at least a third of NFL players smoke herb. Santonio just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and got caught.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-24-2008, 11:39 PM
I don't think it's a big deal. Holmes got caught with a bit of weed, he didn't do anything to hurt anyone. I don't think he deserves to be suspended. It's not like he was dealing crack, pulling guns on people, or dogfighting. There are many players in the NFL that have done so much worse. Besides, I'm willing to bet at least a third of NFL players smoke herb. Santonio just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and got caught.

Yes, However, the steelers organization has always been very strick on policies and rules.

Hopefully this will be a blessing in disguise and Limas Sweed will have a break out game and we will finish the season with him on the active roster.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-24-2008, 11:41 PM

Religious people do no wrong! Except maybe judge other people and call them immoral i guess

Borski
10-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Religious people do no wrong! Except maybe judge other people and call them immoral i guess

:coffee:

Polamalu43
10-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Man what a bone-head play by holmes.

Stu Pidasso
10-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Sorry, fugawzi, I didn't read anything you had to say. I can't stop staring at your avatar. Could you speak up a little?

Havik
10-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Smoking weed is not immoral. Stealing is immoral. Killing people is immoral. If thats the case, let's make everything bad for you immoral, including alcohol, tobacco products, and fast food. Those things are more likely to kill you than marijuana.

slashsteel
10-25-2008, 11:37 AM
At the same time. Smoking weed and driving can cause fatality.

Boy I raised was hit walking down the road, by someone who was toking up. He almost died. Thank god he pulled through.

So if one gets killed out of a hundred. Does that make it any less serious ?

Smoke your weed at home stay out of vehicles.

I think if anyone has a loved one effected by a driver under the influence. His weed is harmless way of thinking, might get altered just a tad bit.

Let us not sugarcoat what Holmes did. He broke the rules. It is illegal. And he is supposed to be a professional. Act like it.............

fugawzi
10-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Ricky Williams:

In March of 2002 Williams tested positive for marijuana shortly after he joined the Dolphins, along with former punter Andrew Tomasjewski.

In December of 2003 Williams again tested positive for marijuana. He was given a $650,000 fine and a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

He failed a third drug test in August of 2004. Williams announced his retirement on August 2, 2004, he was ineligible to play for the 2004 season.

Williams officially returned to the Dolphins on July 24, 2005, paid back a percentage of his signing bonus and completed his four game suspension for substance abuse.

On February 20, 2006, it was announced that Williams had violated the NFL drug policy for the fourth time.

April 25, 2006, Williams was suspended for the entire 2006 season for testing positive for a drug other than marijuana.

In October 2007, Roger Goodell granted his request for reinstatement.

Williams returned for a Monday Night Football Game on November 26, 2007. He rushed 6 times for 15 yards before a Steelers defender accidentally stepped on his right shoulder, tearing his pectoral muscle. The next day it was reported that he would miss the rest of the season.

Santonio Holmes:

October 23, 2008, Police Officers charge Holmes with one misdemeanor count of possession of a small amount of marijuana. He was given a summons to court and released.

I don’t think we are quite up to the level of Ricky Williams just yet…:wink02::wink02:

I agree. After that laundry list of times Ricky tested positive, it's hard to believe Goodell reinstated him. That's why I think Goodell will go light on Santonio if it comes to that. At least Ricky wasn't dumb enough to drive around downtown Miami in a high profile SUV with weed and weed stink in it. I don't think it should be a big deal like many others around here, but you gotta use some common sense at some point. I like that Ricky weed pic you posted, I'm gonna steal that.

Sorry, fugawzi, I didn't read anything you had to say. I can't stop staring at your avatar. Could you speak up a little?

Here ya go buddy this will help you concentrate a little more...

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x104/slimkp333/dolphinschick.jpg

Man...I would love to play football with her, and by play football I mean have sex :chuckle:

Borski
10-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Does anyone know how long it will take before the NFL/Goodell releases a statement about this issue?

@fugawzi: Dang! She's smokin' (not smokin' like holmes though lol)

fugawzi
10-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Does anyone know how long it will take before the NFL/Goodell releases a statement about this issue?

@fugawzi: Dang! She's smokin' (not smokin' like holmes though lol)

Haha..good one. Actually I think Goodell is in London this week promoting the game that's going on over there this weekend. I think that's this weekend. So it could be a little while unfortunately. I know that's not what you want to hear.

Preacher
10-26-2008, 12:48 AM

Selfishness IS immorality. Breaking the law IS immorality unless the law itself is immoral (segregation, for instance).

BTW, just because I did something in my past doesn't mean it is ok to do it. It was immoral then, and it is immoral now, because it BREAKS THE LAW.

I can't believe you actually used the "everyone is doing it" teenage justification to exhonerate an adult from an action which is against the law, AND AGAINST HIS EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT. That ALSO means he violated his word. That is an INTEGRITY issue. And that, my friend, is an absolute MORAL ISSUE.

SteelMember
06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Prosecutors drop drug charges against Steelers' Holmes
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
By Daniel Malloy, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bob Donaldson/Post-GazetteSteelers' wide receiver Santonio Holmes faces the media after marijuana charges against him were dismissed this morning in Allegheny County Common Pleas Court.Prosecutors dropped marijuana possession charges against Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes this morning after deciding there was not probable cause for the traffic stop that led to the charges.

Mr. Holmes, 25, who was named Super Bowl MVP this year after his game-winning touchdown catch, was found with a small amount of marijuana after police pulled him over near Mellon Arena on Oct. 23.

Assistant District Attorney Rachel Newman announced at a hearing this morning before Allegheny County Judge Lester G. Nauhaus that, after reviewing case law, she determined the stop would not hold up in court.

Ms. Newman said that Pittsburgh Police Lt. Kevin Kraus received an anonymous tip that a late-model SUV with out-of-state license plates was carrying a large amount of narcotics through the Hill District.

Mr. Holmes was pulled over because he was driving a Range Rover with Florida plates. His attorney, Robert Del Greco, said the stop violated the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution as an illegal search because it was not specific or reliable enough.

Mr. Del Greco filed a motion last week to that effect, and Ms. Newman said this morning that she agreed, so she would drop the charges.

Speaking to reporters after the hearing, Mr. Del Greco said small marijuana possession charges typically are disposed of when the defendant pleads guilty to a summary disorderly conduct charge at the magistrate level.

But Mr. Del Greco said he always intended to challenge the traffic stop and never discussed a plea deal to a lesser charge. Mr. Holmes waived his right to a preliminary hearing in February.

When a reporter asked if Mr. Holmes, wearing a black suit and black undershirt with no tie, had anything to say, he looked to his attorney.

"You can say you're happy," Mr. Del Greco said with a smile.

"I'm all right," Mr. Holmes said.

:smoker:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09161/976343-66.stm

fansince'76
06-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Whew - here I thought he had gotten busted again. Glad this was just a bumped thread. :sweating:

SteelMember
06-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Whew - here I thought he had gotten busted again. Glad this was just a bumped thread. :sweating:

:laughing:

Sorry, just trying to continue the old thread instead of starting another.

vasteeler
06-10-2009, 10:38 AM
man i was like here we go again:doh:

MACH1
06-10-2009, 10:44 AM

:doh: Had me scared there for a sec.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-10-2009, 10:55 AM
:laughing:

Sorry, just trying to continue the old thread instead of starting another.

Come here!!!!

:kick:

You scared the hell out of me!!!!

revefsreleets
06-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Fruit of a poisoned tree.

He still needs to be smarter than this in the future. Right or wrong, it IS against the law.

As far as smoking dope, other than the bad effects on your lungs, I'd still rather see these guys smoking then getting trashed drunk. As I've pointed out on a few occasions, dope smokers are usually pretty peaceable folks...you never hear of people getting high and shooting up titty bars at 3AM.

atlsteelers
06-10-2009, 11:10 AM

scared the crap out of me too.

atlsteelers
06-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I am glad the charges where dropped by the city. They should be droped on everybody who gets ticketed for holding that junk.

But more importantly since the charges were dropped, will keep it holmes out the NFL subtance abuse program?

Players in the NFL substance abuse program players are subject too much rigourous testing than the rest of the players. It almost sets up these players for failure. Odel Thurman (a general fool) got thrown out of the league for a postive alcohol test but hey alcohol is a legal substance.

HughC
06-10-2009, 11:59 AM
I am glad the charges where dropped by the city. They should be droped on everybody who gets ticketed for holding that junk.

But more importantly since the charges were dropped, will keep it holmes out the NFL subtance abuse program?

Players in the NFL substance abuse program players are subject too much rigourous testing than the rest of the players. It almost sets up these players for failure. Odel Thurman (a general fool) got thrown out of the league for a postive alcohol test but hey alcohol is a legal substance.

If I'm not mistaken, there are two sets of rules. The first is the NFL's drug policy, which is part of the CBA agreed upon between the league and the NFLPA. I believe in this situation Holmes would not be required to take part in a substance abuse program and have a higher frequency of random tests since the charges were dropped.

The second provision, which may be of more concern, is Roger Goodell's personal conduct policy. Essentially he can hand out fines and suspensions for any action by a player that he feels puts the NFL in a negative light. He doesn't need for the player to be found guilty - for example, when he acted upon Pacman Jones. One thing he does look for is if this was the first time the player's name was in the news, or if he's in the news for off-the-field actions repeatedly.

It's possible Holmes gets a one-game suspension but I think that if that was going to happen, Goodell would have done that last fall.

NFL Drug Policy (http://nflplayers.com/images/fck/2008%20Substances%20of%20Abuse%20Policy%20(FINAL). pdf)

atlsteelers
06-10-2009, 12:59 PM
If I'm not mistaken, there are two sets of rules. The first is the NFL's drug policy, which is part of the CBA agreed upon between the league and the NFLPA. I believe in this situation Holmes would not be required to take part in a substance abuse program and have a higher frequency of random tests since the charges were dropped.

The second provision, which may be of more concern, is Roger Goodell's personal conduct policy. Essentially he can hand out fines and suspensions for any action by a player that he feels puts the NFL in a negative light. He doesn't need for the player to be found guilty - for example, when he acted upon Pacman Jones. One thing he does look for is if this was the first time the player's name was in the news, or if he's in the news for off-the-field actions repeatedly.

It's possible Holmes gets a one-game suspension but I think that if that was going to happen, Goodell would have done that last fall.

NFL Drug Policy (http://nflplayers.com/images/fck/2008%20Substances%20of%20Abuse%20Policy%20(FINAL). pdf)

i can live him holmes being suspened a game or two but i more am worried that if he gets refered to the nfl substance abuse program that he will have a hard time staying out of trouble.

Fire Haley
06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Holmes is a GOD!

Super Bowl MVP and a clean record.

revefsreleets
06-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Lest we forget...

http://enquirer.com/editions/2003/11/09/osu_zoom.jpg

Preacher
06-10-2009, 04:22 PM
i can live him holmes being suspened a game or two but i more am worried that if he gets refered to the nfl substance abuse program that he will have a hard time staying out of trouble.

Why?

Stop smoking the stuff. Stay away from alcohol for the determined amount of time, and your fine.

Not so sure what is hard about that.

fansince'76
06-10-2009, 04:27 PM

And what's worse, Der Kommissar's punishments are completely arbitrary when it comes to their application. But I agree, I think he would have been suspended by the league by now if a suspension by the league was forthcoming. Maybe the rationale is that Tomlin benching him for the Giants game was enough. :noidea:

Preacher
06-10-2009, 04:29 PM
And what's worse, Der Kommissar's punishments are completely arbitrary when it comes to their application. But I agree, I think he would have been suspended by the league by now if a suspension by the league was forthcoming. Maybe the rationale is that Tomlin benching him for the Giants game was enough. :noidea:

Yep... and it again shows, beyond anything else, the wisdom of our coach.

mesaSteeler
06-10-2009, 09:58 PM
DA drops marijuana charge against Steelers’ Holmes
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=At.8GzuliKoMDoWxGmsGKsST2bYF?slug=txstee lersholmesmariju&prov=st&type=lgns

PITTSBURGH(AP) —Pittsburgh prosecutors have dropped a misdemeanor drug charge against Steelers wide receiver and Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes(notes).

Allegheny County Assistant District Attorney Rachel Newman announced the decision at a court hearing Wednesday.

Pittsburgh police say they found three marijuana-filled cigars - or blunts - in Holmes’ car when he was pulled over on Oct. 23. They pulled Holmes over because they were looking for a car similar to the one he was driving. Holmes alerted police to the drugs.

Holmes’ attorney argued the traffic stop violated the football star’s rights because the search warrant wasn’t specific enough. Prosecutors agreed.

Asked if he was happy with the outcome, Holmes said: “I’m all right.”

Galax Steeler
06-11-2009, 03:27 AM
I am sure glad this is behind him now lets get some football a going.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-11-2009, 09:51 AM
From what I understand, you can only be put into the substance abuse program if caught using substances.

Marijuana filled cigars were found in his vehicle, but as far as I know Holmes has never tested positive for drugs.

atlsteelers
06-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Why?

Stop smoking the stuff. Stay away from alcohol for the determined amount of time, and your fine.

Not so sure what is hard about that.

hey preacher it may seem like an easy task for folks like us to stay out of trouble but the truth is he already has a multi million dollar contract and has the potential to sign a blockbuster deal in the near future and he was still riding around with blunts in his vehicle. so holmes is definitely a great athelete but has not shown much maturity off the field. he already has had other charges agianst droped for other acts besides the blunts.

Fire Haley
06-11-2009, 10:12 AM
The slate is wiped clean - nothing happened.

End of story.

HughC
06-11-2009, 04:04 PM

End of story.
As far as we are concerned - and the legal system is concerned - yes.

But again, as far as the NFL's/Roger Goodell's Personal Conduct Policy is concerned - no. First, it does not require a conviction. And second, one thing that Goodell tends to weigh heavily is whether or not a player has been in the news for the wrong reasons previously.

A couple of things from the Code of Conduct:
"Standard of Conduct: ... It is not enough to simply avoid being found guilty of a crime."
"Discipline may be imposed in any of the following circumstances: ... threat of violence, domestic violence" ... "Conduct that undermines ... the reputation of the NFL ..."
"The specifics of the disciplinary response will be based on ... any prior or additional misconduct (whether or not criminal charges were filed) ..."
"Persons who have had previous violations of the law or of this policy may be considered repeat offenders."

As pointed out above, with Holmes being benched for a game last year by Tomlin, I doubt that there will be any further discipline. However, I'm guessing that he'll be called in to the principal's office and given a 'final warning' - and almost anything more than a parking ticket this season will result in a suspension. Goodell is going to see three legal matters in three years and let him know the next one will result in a suspension.

NFL Personal Conduct Policy (http://www.nflplayers.com/images/fck/NFL%20Personal%20Conduct%20Policy%202008.pdf)

DACEB
06-11-2009, 05:14 PM

End of story.

YEA

Fire Haley
06-11-2009, 05:17 PM
It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock&roll

Passing wins Super Bowls

http://susansternberg.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/holmes-td-catch.jpg

DACEB
06-11-2009, 05:19 PM
pass it over here

Fire Haley
06-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Deny deny deny - sounds like a lawyer

lilyoder6
06-11-2009, 07:00 PM
nothing should happen, b/c like the police said they had no reason to search the car, so evrything gets thrown out.. and there is no case...

and if goodell was going to do anything about this.. he would of done it last yr when it happened.. and he didn't...

and i doubt he will do anything this yr, b/c like i said he would of done it last yr, and waiting a season to suspend someone that happened during last season, there would look like a hatred attached to the suspension