PDA

View Full Version : Billick says Ray Ray's hit on Mendenhall was CLEAN HIT

SteelersMongol
10-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Billick: Players should keep quiet

Brian Billick had some very interesting comments on the topic of bounties.

Billick says there is a defensive mentality to go after players and knock them out of the game. Billick says every team does things like bounties in their locker room. They just should never talk about it publicly. Billick thought that's where the mistake was.

Billick did say, however, players don't want to end the career of anyone. Not at all.

Dan asked Billick how he would have dealt with Terrell Suggs' comments about the Ravens going after Hines Ward and Rashard Mendenhall. Billick said he would have sat him down --- as he had done when he was his coach -- and asked him what he was trying to achieve by talking publicly about that kind of stuff.

Billick also commented on the Ray Lewis hit that took out Mendnehall. He said it was a clean hit. Same with the famous Lawrence Taylor hit on Joe Theismann. But Lewis shouldn't have been talking about it to people who don't have a context for it.

Billick also had great comments on Brett Favre calling the Lions. Billick said it goes on all the time and it's innocent.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/16942/index.html?eref=fromSI

What the F*CK! :doh: Maybe one of our players should go out of bound, & run over this man.

Aussie_steeler
10-24-2008, 01:21 AM
NO - I would rather our players show some respect and dignity and knock the living p*ss out of them legally on the field. Clean and hard. Leave the cheap stuff to the thugs and crims.

Preacher
10-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Well, I think Rays hit was legal.

nothing to complain about... just like Ward's hit. Nothing to complain about.

Borski
10-24-2008, 01:30 AM

Same here, Ray's hit was legal, 'execpt for the possible bounty attached to it. But the hit itself was legal.

ShutDown24
10-24-2008, 01:39 AM
How was the hit not clean...? I don't like that Rashard's out, but we can't have a double standard here... Ward's hit on Rivers was just as 'dirty' as Lewis' on Mendenhall - and neither were dirty at all. Way too much is being made of hitting this year. Let the guys play football. That goes for the Steelers and any other team including Ray Ray and his Ravens.

I don't agree with the bounty concept at all, however.

Edman
10-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Ray the Knife's hit was legal. Much like Hines' hit. It's the bragging and bounty part that's pushing it.

Preacher
10-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Ray the Knife's hit was legal. Much like Hines' hit. It's the bragging and bounty part that's pushing it.

You have no argument from me there. :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
10-24-2008, 04:04 AM
No problems here either they were both hard hits and Rivrers and Mendenhall came out on the short end of the stick.

SteelMember
10-24-2008, 08:37 AM
What the F*CK! :doh: Maybe one of our players should go out of bound, & run over this man.

Well, if he (billick) wasn't working at NFL network and actually was on the sideline, that could be a possibility. :chuckle:

The hit was clean. I'm just suprised ray was the first to get there for a change.

fansince'76
10-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Ray the Knife's hit was legal. Much like Hines' hit.

I wonder if the league office is going to ask the competition committee to review it and possibly make changes to the rules over that one too? After all, it ended our rookie first-round draft pick's season as well. Somehow, I doubt it. :coffee:

Ward broke Rivers' jaw last Sunday and ended the rookie first-round draft pick's season with a crack-back block. Anderson said Ward would not be fined for the block. He did tell reporters that such a hit would be reviewed by the NFL's competition committee during the offseason and could lead to a change in the rules.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_594843.html

SteelMember
10-24-2008, 09:05 AM
I wonder if the league office is going to ask the competition committee to review it and possibly make changes to the rules over that one too? After all, it ended our rookie first-round draft pick's season as well. Somehow, I doubt it. :coffee:]

The crackback rule, or the knife in the back rule? Because ray was just giving a autograph. :rolleyes:

The Duke
10-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Way too much is being made of hitting this year.

That's what I was thinking. Since when did the NFL became soccer?

Let them play, forget about the hits, unless it's a very good one deserving some praise of course :tt02:

steelpride12
10-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Ray's hit was clean, its over lets move on.

TheWarDen86
10-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Same here, Ray's hit was legal, 'execpt for the possible bounty attached to it. But the hit itself was legal.

I agree with you both. I don't see why this was even an issue. It was his comments later that makes him a thug.

missedgehead
10-25-2008, 09:29 PM
No problems here either they were both hard hits and Rivrers and Mendenhall came out on the short end of the stick.

AGreed.

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-26-2008, 11:43 AM
How is Rays hit on Mendenhall even close to being illegal?

silver & black
10-26-2008, 01:08 PM
How was the hit not clean...? I don't like that Rashard's out, but we can't have a double standard here... Ward's hit on Rivers was just as 'dirty' as Lewis' on Mendenhall - and neither were dirty at all. Way too much is being made of hitting this year. Let the guys play football. That goes for the Steelers and any other team including Ray Ray and his Ravens.

I don't agree with the bounty concept at all, however.

Back in the day, this was just normal, every Sunday football in the NFL. The game, and the players are getting soft. Of course, thats only my opinion.

MasterOfPuppets
10-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Back in the day, this was just normal, every Sunday football in the NFL. The game, and the players are getting soft. Of course, thats only my opinion. i'd say since were even having this discussion, it makes your opinion fact !!!

SteelCityMan786
10-26-2008, 01:18 PM

Typical Ratbird. :blah: