PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith personal reasons

ts888
10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
missed 3rd straight practice today per the Gazette. What is this about? need him on Sunday.

tony hipchest
10-24-2008, 12:22 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08298/922566-66.stm

Also, defensive end Aaron Smith was excused from practice for personal reasons for the third day in a row, increasing the possibility he also will not play against the Giants.this is not good. makes it sound like tomlin has a "dont practice, dont play policy. can anyone verify?

im sure if smith can be there on sunday, he can start. whats going on?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-24-2008, 12:58 PM

this is not good. makes it sound like tomlin has a "dont practice, dont play policy. can anyone verify?

Listening to ESPN pittsburgh and they were just at Tomlin's press conference and Ken is reporting that Smith is out due to personal issues and Ken seems to know but didn't want to say out of respect for Smith. Needless to say our big run stopper is out for sunday.

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Parker OUT
Marvel OUT
Smith OUT
Holmes OUT

We're doomed.

ah well, we didn't really need this game anyway - forfeit and let everyone rest

GeneralRobinson
10-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Parker OUT
Marvel OUT
Smith OUT
Holmes OUT

We're doomed.

Willie could still play. He did practice yesterday, albeit on a limited basis.

DACEB
10-24-2008, 01:18 PM

this is not good. makes it sound like tomlin has a "dont practice, dont play policy. can anyone verify?

I can't really verify, but in the past (under Tomlin) if the player didn't practice on Fri. they didn't play Sunday. :noidea:

tony hipchest
10-24-2008, 01:19 PM
im willing to be willie reaggrivated his knee. i dont anticipate seeing him play for the next 3-4 weeks. stepping in that hole probably put him back to square one.

tony hipchest
10-24-2008, 01:21 PM
I can't really verify, but in the past (under Tomlin) if the player didn't practice on Fri. they didn't play Sunday. :noidea:thats what i was thinking but couldnt remember. i know cowher made exceptions. rod woodson never practiced the year after his knee.

i would hope tomlin would do the same with smith if he was avalable on sunday. hes a vet. knows his job. doesnt need the practice.

TailgateMel
10-24-2008, 01:49 PM
That really hurts.. IMO even more than Willie or Holmes being out.. we have solid guys to replace them... when Smith was out last year, that really made a big difference in our defense...

Mel

Edman
10-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Holmes is the worst. He's out because of his own stupidity.

Aaron Smith being out really hurts. Let's hope the run defense doesn't fall apart.

TailgateMel
10-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Holmes is the worst. He's out because of his own stupidity.

Aaron Smith being out really hurts. Let's hope the run defense doesn't fall apart.

I wasn't meaning "worse morally"... but worse as in it has more of a negative affect on the team's chances of beating the Giants.

Dizzle43
10-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Are you guys for certain that he will not be playing in the game on Sunday?

jjpro11
10-24-2008, 03:40 PM
is casey hampton playing?

steelpride12
10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Parker OUT
Marvel OUT
Smith OUT
Holmes OUT

We're doomed.

Geez game didn't even start yet and your giving up. :wave:

Petesburgh66
10-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Any word on Hampton? There is no way the Steelers D line can afford to lose both Hampton and Smith.

Preacher
10-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Any word on Hampton? There is no way the Steelers D line can afford to lose both Hampton and Smith.

I don't know, we did pretty dang well with Hampton and Keisel out.

Teams run to the weak spot of the D. it will be the same players that replaced Keisel playing in place for Smith.

steelreserve
10-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Last I saw, they had Hampton listed as "probable," although they still had Parker listed as probable too, so who knows what to believe.

If he's back and Smith is out, I wonder if they'd ever consider using Hampton and Hoke at the same time (giving us a line of Kiesel-Hampton-Hoke)? I know Hoke is a tackle, but is he versatile enough to move out to end? Of all the stand-ins on the defensive line, he's the one I'd like to see more of; he's played like an animal.

Stlrs4Life
10-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Losing Smith is going to hurt, see last season.

lilyoder6
10-24-2008, 05:17 PM
i think that the smith situation is tricky.. yes he didn't pratice these past days but he prob has a good damn reason for doing so.. i would think that smith will not start since he didn't pratice for most of the week, but will finish the game

Steelman16
10-24-2008, 05:43 PM
To heck with Holmes, we need Smith, practice or no practice.

In the run-stop it all starts with Smith, and with B. Jacobs comin' to town, this is gonna hurt bad.

steel9guy
10-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Idk I think they'll be fine. Isn't Hampton and Keisel starting this week? last year they had a lot more D problems then just the line.

Godfather
10-24-2008, 07:35 PM
If the personal reasons are valid I'm sure Tomlin will make an exception. Unless the Steelers' system is set up in a way that makes it hard to play effectively if you don't practice.

revefsreleets
10-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Word is that whatever Smith is out for, the Steelers 100% understand.

It's kind of nice NOT to know for a change. Classy that he has a personal problem and nobody has blabbed to the media about it...good for Aaron to get a little privacy for whatever this situation is.

PalmerSteel
10-24-2008, 07:55 PM
wow! will be 1st time at heinz and starters are dropping like flies. starting to get a very bad feeling about this game.

STEELtownHAVOX
10-24-2008, 09:35 PM
wow! will be 1st time at heinz and starters are dropping like flies. starting to get a very bad feeling about this game.

"Starters in waiting"

we'll be alright.

PalmerSteel
10-24-2008, 09:56 PM
how is it looking for big snack playing? cant find anything. if he is playing will feel much better.

devilsdancefloor
10-24-2008, 10:21 PM
im sure we wil be ok the brownies put a hurting on them think about it......