PDA

View Full Version : Holmes deactivated for Sunday

TailgateMel
10-24-2008, 12:36 PM
According to the text alert I get from KDKA... Mike Tomlin said he is deactivated for Sundays game vs. Giants

TheWarDen86
10-24-2008, 12:36 PM
:banging:

All together now: "Thank you Santonio."

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm going out to buy a Holmes jersey in protest.

The Duke
10-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Is baker healthy? all receivers should be ready to play

Willie probably won't play, santo's out. Lot's of passing for big ben.

Oline has to hold up!

steelreserve
10-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Well, good thing we just drafted a guy to play receiver.

GeneralRobinson
10-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Alby's Blog: Santonio Out Sunday
Friday, October 24, 2008 updated: 1:34 pm EDT October 24, 2008

Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes will be inactive for Sunday's game against the New York Giants after his Thursday afternoon arrest for marijuana possession.

Head coach Mike Tomlin said he has spoken with Holmes about the situation

"When you're a great team, there will be distractions," Tomlin said.

Wide receiver Nate Washington will start in place of Holmes.

Running back Willie Parker is listed as doubtful for the game. Offensive tackle Marvel Smith will not play. Defensive end Aaron Smith will likely miss the game for personal reasons, too, Tomlin said. The Steelers said Smith has their total support.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/17796043/detail.html

STEELAMANIA
10-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Thank you Holmes for allowing my boy SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to get more playing time!!!!

GeneralRobinson
10-24-2008, 12:48 PM
I wonder what the point of deactivating Holmes is. Is he not suspended? Is he still getting his game check? If so, why not just play him?

kmsteelerwr15
10-24-2008, 12:49 PM
i think this was the right move by the Steelers. if the man is dumb enough to do that than he should face the consequences, lets jus hope goodell takes it easy on him since its a 1st offense and that the Steelers took action on him (but i would be surprised)

Edman
10-24-2008, 12:49 PM
A proper punishment for an idiot. Santo has all the upside in the world, but he's an idiot.

Let's see what Sweed and Baker have to offer. Nate will be fine.

GeneralRobinson
10-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Sorry to be a PW but this might shed some light on the situation:

Steelers' Holmes, facing drug charge, won't play Sunday
Friday, October 24, 2008
By Gerry Dulac and Jonathan D. Silver, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes did not practice with the team today and will not play in Sunday's game against the New York Giants after police said they stopped him with marijuana yesterday.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Holmes, a third-year receiver who is second on the team with 22 catches and 360 yards receiving, will be listed as inactive for the game. He declined to say if Holmes had been suspended by the team or docked one game's pay.

"At this point we've chosen to name him as inactive," Tomlin said after practice. "His situation has created somewhat of a distraction and we want to minimize that as much as we can and remain focused on the task at hand."

Tomlin met with Holmes earlier today and told him he will not be allowed on the sidelines at Heinz Field and to report back to work Monday.

Contacted at home, Holmes said he had no comment.

An NFL spokesman said the matter is being reviewed under the league's substance abuse policy. However, he said the league would not comment.

"We're paid to deal with distractions; the great teams are ones that do," Tomlin said. "They find a way to get the job done. When you're a good team, there are going to be distractions because with good teams there comes attention."

Holmes will be replaced in the starting lineup by Nate Washington, who has touchdown catches of 48 and 50 yards the past two games.

Pittsburgh police pulled Holmes over in the Hill District and found three marijuana-filled cigars yesterday while they were on the lookout for a large stash of drugs in a sport utility vehicle.

Holmes, 24, of Ohio Township, told officers he had smoked marijuana in his sport utility vehicle the day before, according to a police affidavit, but he was not impaired at the time of the traffic stop around 4 p.m. at Centre Avenue and Mario Lemieux Place.

Police let Holmes go and will charge him by summons through the mail with one misdemeanor count of prohibited acts -- in this case having a small amount of marijuana for personal use.

It could not immediately be determined whether Holmes' SUV was the intended target of police officers at the Hill District station, but The Associated Press reported that the vehicle was not the one officers were seeking.

At the 3 p.m. roll call, the officers were told to look for an SUV with an out-of-state license plate traveling through the Hill with a "large amount of narcotics," the police affidavit said.

An hour later, Officer Thomas Gorecki spotted Holmes' black SUV with Florida plates and pulled it over.

Holmes did not have his driver's license but handed over his registration and insurance paperwork.

Officers said they smelled marijuana in the SUV. Officer John Kusenko asked Holmes if he had been smoking marijuana in the SUV that day.

"No," Holmes told officers, according to the affidavit, "but yesterday I was."

Police said Holmes told them he had marijuana in the vehicle. He pointed out two marijuana-filled cigars, known as "blunts," in a vehicle compartment. Officers found a third blunt from a pack of cigars in the center console.

Yesterday's incident is the latest in a string of legal troubles for Holmes. In June 2006, he was arrested in Ohio on domestic violence charges, which were later dismissed. The charges stemmed from an incident involving LaShae Boone of Columbus, the mother of one of his three children. The charges were dismissed after the judge in the case was assured by Holmes' lawyers that their client was participating in ongoing counseling offered through the NFL.

Holmes also was arrested in South Beach, Fla., for disorderly conduct during a Memorial Day weekend crackdown by local authorities in 2006. That charge was later dropped in exchange for a $250 donation to the Police Officers Assistance Trust Fund.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08298/922557-66.stm

The Duke
10-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Thank you Holmes for allowing my boy SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to get more playing time!!!!

lol

Sounds like smith's issue is serious. hopefully everything's ok

Pittsburghfan
10-24-2008, 01:11 PM
This is Holmes 3rd arrest since the draft? I believe he can mature and come to be a good receiver.. I also think deactivating him is a good thing to do. He needs to get his head on straight, and fast.

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 01:13 PM
OK - I take back every good thing I said about him...

"Officer John Kusenko asked Holmes if he had been smoking marijuana in the SUV that day.

He's way stupider than I thought....deny deny deny

rbryan
10-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Its painfully obvious that no matter what many of us would like to think, the Steelers are no better than any other team when it comes to this kind of BS. (Except maybe the Bengals....lol) Time to climb down from the ivory tower. Don't forget to turn off the lights.

rbryan
10-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Does anyone have Holmes address?? I want to send him a can of ozium for Xmas.

steelreserve
10-24-2008, 01:27 PM
OK - I take back every good thing I said about him...

"Officer John Kusenko asked Holmes if he had been smoking marijuana in the SUV that day.

He's way stupider than I thought....deny deny deny

Yeah, seriously, what's wrong with him? It was OTHER GUYS smoking dope in there.

Geez, Santonio, where were you when they were passing out the brains?

John Kuhn never would've gotten busted.

rbryan
10-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Is it too late to trade Mendenhall and Holmes for Kuhn??

fansince'76
10-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Is it too late to trade Mendenhall and Holmes for Kuhn??

:chuckle:

GeneralRobinson
10-24-2008, 01:30 PM
I suspect the players are going to have to answer questions about this, despite Holmes being barred from the team until Monday. Assuming this is the case, I would make the players available today and answer all Santonio Holmes related questions. Thus, they would hopefully have no further questions tomorrow and Sunday so that they can focus totally on the walkthrough and game respectively.

GeneralRobinson
10-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah, seriously, what's wrong with him? It was OTHER GUYS smoking dope in there.

Geez, Santonio, where were you when they were passing out the brains?

How many people believed Michael Irvin when he said he was going to throw his friend's crack pipe away but he put it in his car and forgot. When the police smelled the pot, the game was up. Might as well come clean and hope your cooperation gets you off easy.

rbryan
10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Bad example since he still got into the HOF.

When in doubt "It wasn't me" still works the best.

Stylez1877
10-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Am I the only one who sees smoking weed as "not that big a deal"
If he was caught with a few 6 packs in the back of his car, would it be another story? Aslong as he was not drinking while driving, of course.
The domestic violence charges, now that was something serious. Smoking a few blunts?? Who cares what the guy does in his free time. Now he just knows not to take it on the road with him.

OneForTheToe
10-24-2008, 01:51 PM
there may be some planning in this decision. Deactivate (suspend) him for the next two games and by the time the NFL gets around to the issue they just give him time served.

The saituatuion with Aaron Smith must be dire for him miss a game.

rbryan
10-24-2008, 01:53 PM
No, jails are full of people who feel the same as you and Santonio

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I want one!

section514
10-24-2008, 01:57 PM
sorry Tony, I made my own thread http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=28365

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Holmes let his teammates down.

TheWarDen86
10-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Holmes let his teammates down.

Big time.

rbryan
10-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Yes he did. Not to mention ownership that has invested million$ and the Steeler Nation that had finally embraced him after his earlier problems.

Good job Santonio, you just cost yourself million$ of dollars in the long run because you think its no big deal to get caught smoking weed.

GeneralRobinson
10-24-2008, 02:16 PM
It's football, not life or death.

Steelers will go on with or without Santonio Holmes. He is a wide receiver and, as most of us are in the context of our jobs, replaceable. He let himself down more than anyone with a poor decision, and no one will feel the brunt of that decision more than him.

The_WARDen
10-24-2008, 02:35 PM
If he was caught with a few 6 packs in the back of his car, would it be another story? Aslong as he was not drinking while driving, of course.
The domestic violence charges, now that was something serious. Smoking a few blunts?? Who cares what the guy does in his free time. Now he just knows not to take it on the road with him.

it's a big deal because it's against the law. Whether you agree with that law is up to you, but nonetheless he has to abide by the law just like everyone else.

steelpride12
10-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Ok this Sweed $hit has to stop its not funny anymore this is serious.
Holmes has gotten himself into trouble over the years and this is the worst, The Steelers don't put up with these people on the team and Holmes as much as this sucks deserves this punishment, and fines would help.
Time to grow up man.

Sharkissle29
10-24-2008, 02:44 PM
will sweed me in the #3 spot then? Whats the deal with dallas baker?

steelpride12
10-24-2008, 02:47 PM

Him or Dallas Baker, Sure Sweed will get the nod.

GeneralRobinson
10-24-2008, 02:47 PM

According to the injury report, Dallas Baker is healthy.

http://news.steelers.com/article/97817/

bozz723
10-24-2008, 02:53 PM
I can't believe marijuana possession warrants a suspension, its completely asinine, completely ridiculous.

Preacher
10-24-2008, 03:05 PM
People, people, a little perspective here.

1. He was caught with pot. It is illegal. Regardless of whether a person thinks it should or should not be legal, he broke the law. He needs to realize how much is at stake. That is a sign of immaturity when he is willing to put his career on the line by doing something illegal. Good for Tomlin for benching him IMMEDIATELY. However...

2. He was upfront and honest. Good for him. It says a whole lot about his character that he didn't lie to the cops.

3. This isn't a "string" of arrests. Let's get some historical perspective going. He was drafted by the Steelers. Just after that, a D.V. charge was brought and he was also arrested for what was basically stepping out into a street to get around a crowd of people when the police were trying to do some crowd control.

Those last two charges were both dropped. The DV charge is interesting as it came just after he was drafted. As I said in another thread, I don't take DV lightly...check out my posts on this issue last spring. However, the one against Holmes was quite interesting... just after he hits the jackpot, a charge is filed. Not before, but after. Hmmmm.

All that to say, he had a bump in the road over a two month span, then sat down, shut up, and went to work.

There is no reason to believe that yesterday's episode was part of a larger pattern. However, there is every reason to come down hard on the kid in order to make sure this doesn't BECOME a pattern.

Preacher
10-24-2008, 03:06 PM
I can't believe marijuana possession warrants a suspension, its completely asinine, completely ridiculous.

What part of ILLEGAL do you not understand?

steelreserve
10-24-2008, 03:08 PM
What part of ILLEGAL do you not understand?

Hey, at least it's not as illegal as dogfighting.

TheWarDen86
10-24-2008, 03:12 PM

Dude, if you meant that to be funny then, :rofl:

Borski
10-24-2008, 03:17 PM

Umm, it could equal jail time. and NFL policy says up to a 4 game suspension.

So the fact that its illegal, and its against NFL policy where the policy explicitly mentions a suspension seems to be enough to warrant the suspension.

I completely support the Steelers in their dissision.

I am also glad that Holmes was completely honest with the police and didnt try and cover anything up and possibly earn jail time in the process.

Borski
10-24-2008, 03:19 PM

I'll agree with you there. At least its not the murder of innocent animals, the only person he hurt in this process was himself.

BTW - does anyone know when Mike Vick gets out? that should be coming up soon, shouldn't it?

Dino 6 Rings
10-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Good.

He should sit this week, and then take whatever penalty the NFL hands down.

And have to participate in the NFL rehab program. Zero tolerance for fools that waste the greatest opportunity ever given to them. that is to Play in the NFL for the Steelers.

STEELAMANIA
10-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Sweed should be the new starting receiver opposite Ward. If you watched him in the limited playing time he got last week, I noticed that the db trying to jam him at the line had no success in doing so on both passing plays that Sweed was in. Sweed first catches an 11 yard pass and then on Hines td catch Sweed used those long arms of his to easily get past the attempted jam by the db and would've caught a td pass had Byron Leftwich been unable to find Ward.

STEELAMANIA
10-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Sweed is better suited as a starter than Nate for Sundays game. Nate is fine at #3. Sweed should start. (For the remainder of the season)

STEELAMANIA
10-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Santonio had his chance to make it in the league, but now he blew it. Tomlin should tell Santonio what Coach Noll told Joe Gilliam:

Coach Noll: Son, you like to have fun don't you?
Joe Gilliam: Yeah coach.
Coach Noll: Well, your'e gonna fun your way outta this league!

Here comes SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

fansince'76
10-24-2008, 03:51 PM
It's called the "Edit" button.

Stlrs4Life
10-24-2008, 04:01 PM

Yes you are, It's against the law. So it is a big deal. If I made the decision, Holmes would be gone.

SteelMember
10-24-2008, 04:14 PM

A simple message to ALL players from the organization... This will not be tolerated, and we don't need to wait for the "league" to tell us what we don't like. (imo)

A very poor decision on his part. I am not ready to give up on the guy. He has worked pretty hard to improve this year, but he must learn there are consequences.

steeltheone
10-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Everybody makes errors in judgement. He needs to make sure this is his last!

Pittsburghfan
10-24-2008, 04:26 PM
I'll agree with you there. At least its not the murder of innocent animals, the only person he hurt in this process was himself.

BTW - does anyone know when Mike Vick gets out? that should be coming up soon, shouldn't it?

I read the other day if he is on good behavior he can be out by Summer of 2009.

What do we do if we get rid of Santo? FA pickup? Draft?

lilyoder6
10-24-2008, 04:29 PM
steel, why do u have such a man fest on sweed for???

as i said in the other thread.. just chill the f out.. i mean shit, talking bout cutting him trading or w/e... this has been a problem in the nfl in the past and still will be, stop trying to make evryone that works for the steelers into saints, b/c at the end, they are still humans

lilyoder6
10-24-2008, 04:30 PM
i also picked up nate washington today.,.

SteelMember
10-24-2008, 04:31 PM
i also picked up nate washington today.,.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! :laughing:

Steelman16
10-24-2008, 04:39 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! :laughing:

:chuckle:

stillers4me
10-24-2008, 04:56 PM
People, people, a little perspective here.

1. He was caught with pot. It is illegal. Regardless of whether a person thinks it should or should not be legal, he broke the law. He needs to realize how much is at stake. That is a sign of immaturity when he is willing to put his career on the line by doing something illegal. Good for Tomlin for benching him IMMEDIATELY. However...

2. He was upfront and honest. Good for him. It says a whole lot about his character that he didn't lie to the cops.

3. This isn't a "string" of arrests. Let's get some historical perspective going. He was drafted by the Steelers. Just after that, a D.V. charge was brought and he was also arrested for what was basically stepping out into a street to get around a crowd of people when the police were trying to do some crowd control.

Those last two charges were both dropped. The DV charge is interesting as it came just after he was drafted. As I said in another thread, I don't take DV lightly...check out my posts on this issue last spring. However, the one against Holmes was quite interesting... just after he hits the jackpot, a charge is filed. Not before, but after. Hmmmm.

All that to say, he had a bump in the road over a two month span, then sat down, shut up, and went to work.

There is no reason to believe that yesterday's episode was part of a larger pattern. However, there is every reason to come down hard on the kid in order to make sure this doesn't BECOME a pattern.

Good post and right on the money.

I think Tomlin has handled it perfectly. Holmes will face discipline from the league. Take it like a man and don't let it happen again. If it does, then Holmes will gone. I hope he gets the message because I look forward to Holmes being the number 1 receiver for us after Hines is put out to stud. errrrrrrr............I mean retires. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
10-24-2008, 05:05 PM
I read the other day if he is on good behavior he can be out by Summer of 2009.

What do we do if we get rid of Santo? FA pickup? Draft?were not getting rid of him. this is almost the EXACT same reaction as when he was busted for j-walking. Zzzzz:rolleyes:

Steeldude
10-24-2008, 05:20 PM

i think it warrants a suspension. holmes is a moron for making such a pathetic choice in his life. the steelers pay this fool millions and he wants to jeopardize it by smoking marijuana. someone needs to get his priorities straightened out

Pentheon
10-24-2008, 05:36 PM
the hell was ricky williams jr thinkin..

sucks we could use all we got...

oh well, hope its not an issue anymore

revefsreleets
10-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Um, has anyone actually brought up the FACT that Holmes was NOT ARRESTED?

If pot is such a horrible crime, why wasn't he cuffed and drug off to jail under arrest?

Suspend him a game with no pay for being a dumbass and move on...Jesus, there are guys playing in the NFL who have literally MURDERED other human beings. This is not a big deal...

GutterflowerSteel
10-24-2008, 06:35 PM
It sucks that we'll be without our deep threat - but Coach T had to put the hammer down and send the message that nobody is above the team. I think Washington and Sweed will both get a taste this Sunday - and will step up BIGtime :helmet:

PalmerSteel
10-24-2008, 06:52 PM
dammit! give me a break! he wasnt arrested. i understand if tomlin or the league suspends him but let the process take its path first!

Angina
10-24-2008, 07:05 PM
I have to agree with Preacher here. Lying to the cops who can SMELL the distinctive odor of marijuana use would the stupid thing to do at that point. The fact that he didn't indicates the pot hasn't destroyed all his brain cells yet.

And illegal is illegal, there are no degrees of illegality. Now if you want to argue degrees of morality, that's a different subject.

Angina

mesaSteeler
10-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Holmes was very very stupid. I'm glad Mike (and the Rooney's put the hammer down. Given his past I would say if he screws up again he's gone.

Fire Haley
10-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Um, has anyone actually brought up the FACT that Holmes was NOT ARRESTED?

I did a couple of times....but the holier-than-thou types think they know better.

Cut him because of a little weed? hahahahaha....now THAT's stupid.
Probably 50-60% of the team tokes - just like on every other team.

So I guess we never should have let Marvel play again either.....hmmm?

stillers4me
10-24-2008, 08:45 PM
He was charged with a misdemeanor of marijuana possession.

While common sense tells you that he smokes it, there is a technical difference. I don't know what the league rules are off hand, but I would think that would be a less severe punishment by the league than actually testing positve for it.

The Rooney's tend to treat the players like family, so one with a problem gets some tough love. Thus Sunday's deactivation ( the right move) and no doubt a severe warning and some type of counseling will be demanded. Mr. Rooney gives second chances.........don't screw it up, Tone.

(And I hope they learned not to let Dan make the official statement......he messed up with James Harrison and made it sound like he condoned domestic violence. Let someone else handle it!)

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-24-2008, 08:54 PM
I agree with the fact that Holmes needs to be disciplined, but why did we choose to de-activate him ourselves when the league is going to suspend him another game? So Santonio will be out @ Washington as well.

I understand there needs to be punishment, but this team also wants to win. We should've let the league take action first.

devilsdancefloor
10-24-2008, 09:12 PM
i think coach made a awesome decsion! i very hard one since he is a very good WR and a important part of the offense,but it also shows ALOT class unlike the whole cowboys thing with adam dont call me pacman jones. Maybe sitting out and having that wallet not as full as it should be will make the young man realize that he has teh world by the short hairs? Lets hope so! Plus i think there is enough Vets on the team that wil pull him aside and pimp slap him back into shape:wink02:! well time to bench him on my fantasy team and pick up nate!:tt02:

Steeler in Carolina
10-24-2008, 09:41 PM
You would think that a guy who has such an easy life would not take any chances to screw it up. If you are going to smoke pot, do it in your house/ Don't have it in your car.

HometownGal
10-24-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm terribly disappointed in Santo and hope he wises up sooner rather than later. However, I feel the Steelers took the right action here by deactivating him. I agree with Steeler in Carolina above - if you want to partake of the wacky tabacky, do it in the privacy of your own home - the consequences just aren't worth the risk of getting nailed by the Po.

I hope this is a one-time incident and Santo learns a big lesson here. Getting high just isn't worth screwing up a career he has invested a lot of years, blood, sweat and tears in.

cubanstogie
10-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I have a question, did he inhale

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2008, 10:54 PM
I have a question, did he inhale

:scratchchin:

ricksteelers55
10-24-2008, 11:59 PM
No doubt that the biggest loss is Aaron.We all know what happened last year when he went down and now we're facing the toughest RB in the game.Hopefully the D will come as a unit and play well against the G-Men.

as for Santo the best thing for now is to ignore him,no doubt that if he does something stupid again he needs to be released.I dont even want us to lose some time trying to trade that guy,just cut him loose.

ricksteelers55
10-25-2008, 12:03 AM
I did a couple of times....but the holier-than-thou types think they know better.

Cut him because of a little weed? hahahahaha....now THAT's stupid.
Probably 50-60% of the team tokes - just like on every other team.

So I guess we never should have let Marvel play again either.....hmmm?

Who cares if half of the team smokes weed , as long as you dont get caught.It's not about being saints it's about taking the distraction away from the organisation.

this is one of the most (if not the most) prestigious organisation in sports entertainment,if players want to get caught in trouble then maybe they should play for the Bungles

#1LambertFan
10-25-2008, 12:08 AM
A proper punishment for an idiot. Santo has all the upside in the world, but he's an idiot.

Let's see what Sweed and Baker have to offer. Nate will be fine.

No reason to calm him an idiot! I am ashamed of all of you! Yes his actions were unsatisfactory, but you also have to take in mind the stress football players go through and the temptation. As Steelers fans we should look on the bright side.... Atleast we get to see how much Sweed has improved since preseason!

Polamalu43
10-25-2008, 12:10 AM
No reason to calm him an idiot! I am ashamed of all of you! Yes his actions were unsatisfactory, but you also have to take in mind the stress football players go through and the temptation. As Steelers fans we should look on the bright side.... Atleast we get to see how much Sweed has improved since preseason!

I agree. I bet theres atleast 1 player out of all the NFL teams, that does it, But there's a diffrence though in being smart and not getting cought up. But holmes needs to wise up though, and realize hes an Important piece on this offense.

devilsdancefloor
10-25-2008, 01:48 AM

i think he warrants the title of idiot in this case. He spent alot of time and years to get to this point to throw it away to get high for a while. And for the stress yes it is there, but it cant be any worse than the stress of joe 6 pack has at his job to perform. He did do the right thing and not try to lie to the cops, that in itself is a very good thing, but it styil doesnt change the fact that he tarnished the reputation of the organization and worst of all all of us steeler nation! We all razz the hell of the bungels fans about the arrest! i just hope things work out for him i am more than wiling to give him several chances. So hopefully this is a learning experiance for him and he never goes down this road again. i will be real intersted in see if one of the vets on the team doesnt take him under there wing for a while.

Steeldude
10-25-2008, 02:04 AM

yeah, it sucks going to work for only 22 weeks or so out the year and being paid millions :rolleyes:

everyone deals with stress and temptation. some handle it correctly and others are idiots.

Preacher
10-25-2008, 02:39 AM

Excuse me?

try some around here..
We have cops. How about pulling a guy over and not knowing if a gun will be put into his face... EVERY DAY.

We have nurses.... giving the meds can kill someone.

We have military... enough said.

etc. etc.

Please, cry me a river about the stress of a grown man playing a child's game.

Temptation? :laughing: Don't even go there... ask a cop about temptation for instance.

Rick5895
10-25-2008, 06:39 AM
This is Holmes 3rd incident violating the NFL personal conduct policy. As good as he can be, I think enough is enough and the Steelers should explore the trade market for him once the season is over. Do we really need to give this guy millions when his contract is up to have this kind of behaviour bite the team in the butt. If they can get a minimum of a 2nd round pick, take it and move on.

stillers4me
10-25-2008, 07:23 AM
This is Holmes 3rd incident violating the NFL personal conduct policy. As good as he can be, I think enough is enough and the Steelers should explore the trade market for him once the season is over. Do we really need to give this guy millions when his contract is up to have this kind of behaviour bite the team in the butt. If they can get a minimum of a 2nd round pick, take it and move on.

The charges were dropped on both previous incidents. One was the equivilent of jaywalking and the other was a woman who saw dollar signs after he signed his contract. Mr. Rooney listened to his story and had his back during the whole thing. Just like he listened to James Harrison and is giving him another chance. He listened to Cedrick the first time and Ced didn't get it.

He was benched. That was a huge statement from the Steelers. What happens on most other teams when they have an incident? A Bengal or a Cowboy would have been playing this weekend. He would be playing until Goodell made a suspension. This behaviour is not not tolerated in Pittsburgh. Holmes will take his punishment form both sides and then be back on the field. If it happens again, he will be cut. And the Steelers will do everything in their power to help him get on the right track. One time. I hope he gets it.

You see, Pittsburgh's image hasn't been tarnished. It's not about the players more it's about how it's handled. The is a uige difference between how the Steelers handle it and how the Bengals handle it. Pittsburgh put the problem before the game We have a better chance to win on Sunday with Santonio on the field. And he won't be there. In Cinci, he would. 'Nuff said.

Plus, I think HiInes Ward will have a thing or two to say to the young man.

HometownGal
10-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Hell - if alcohol is legal, why not weed? I haven't smoked weed for a good many years, but you get the same buzz from pot that you do from a couple of mixed drinks. Plus - the government could make a small fortune taxing the living shit out of it like they do cigarettes. :thumbsup: :chuckle:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/angelavedder/weed.jpg

STEELAMANIA
10-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Cannibus was legal in the early days but it wasn't smoked......Doctors did prescribe it for other uses. Smoking the stuff is what makes it bad for you.

steelpride12
10-25-2008, 01:22 PM
The only reason i worry is because look what happened to Ricky Willies and weed.

TeeJay
10-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Should'ave stuck to Mushrooms - They're Magic!

Edman
10-25-2008, 02:05 PM
After hearing about Aaron's predicament, It makes me even more disappointed in Holmes.

Aaron is out because his son is sick and family always comes first, Holmes is out because he decided to hang out with a stupid blunt in the middle of the night. The worst part about is that this could've been easily avoided. That just reeks of complete selfishness. He's going to have to win back my respect now.

As far as I know, he's no better than these idiot players who throw away their careers. Tomlin has every right to tell him not to show up to the game. A very stupid and selfish decision by Holmes.

X-Terminator
10-25-2008, 02:09 PM
My particular problem isn't with him smoking weed. Millions of people do it, and I personally think it should be legalized. But it is still illegal, therefore he should not have had it in the car - that is my problem. It just wasn't smart, period. I commend the Steelers for taking action and hope the league takes it easy on him. But the way some people are acting, you'd think he was Bam Morris getting caught with a trunkload of the stuff. It's not even close to that level.

Borski
10-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Hell - if alcohol is legal, why not weed? I haven't smoked weed for a good many years, but you get the same buzz from pot that you do from a couple of mixed drinks. Plus - the government could make a small fortune taxing the living shit out of it like they do cigarettes. :thumbsup: :chuckle:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/angelavedder/weed.jpg

I don't smoke (weed or otherwise) or drink, but I agree it should be legalized with the same restrictions as alcohol, must be over 21 and don't do it while driving or you get a DUI.

But if we tax the crap outta the stuff we could pay for other government programs, or lower other taxes. So I agree, legalize it, until then, its still against the law and I agree with Holmes punishment.

lilyoder6
10-25-2008, 04:40 PM
if nate can get some good production in and help me win i'll be thank.. i might even keep him after the week.. never know

revefsreleets
10-25-2008, 04:58 PM
I concur about legalizing it...and I do think, when viewed as a "matter of degrees", smoking pot is safer than drinking alcohol.

However, that doesn't change the fact that dude's rich. If he needed to go somewhere, CALL A CAR! Or even just a cab! And if he wasn't smoking at the time, hide the stash, dude!

Be smart!

lilyoder6
10-25-2008, 06:43 PM
they alrdy subscribe pot and weed for medical problems, so y all the stipulations..

i mean the gov, likes to take away the ppl's money, so y not legalize weed and then they can be the sole distrubtor of weed and make millions

vasteeler
10-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Ive looked to see if it has already been posted but couldnt find anything.What happened to him?
never mind thank ou for movivng this post