PDA

View Full Version : Faceoff - Is Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward a dirty player?

mesaSteeler
10-24-2008, 09:25 PM
baltimoresun.com
Is Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward a dirty player?
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-faceoff1024,0,5355301.column

Faceoff

7:05 AM EDT, October 24, 2008

Not above cheap shots

By Bill Ordine

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward is putting together a potential Hall of Fame career. His 747 receptions, 70 touchdowns, more than 9,100 receiving yards - and counting - plus a Super Bowl ring are the kind of credentials that can earn a guy a gold jacket on a summer day in Canton.

And when the historians reflect on Ward's legacy, the first thing to be said of him is that he was one of the most physical players at his position.

However, there is an asterisk next to Ward's physicality.

Sometimes that hard-hitting play is egregiously outside the rules; his fistful of NFL-levied fines (two already this season) attest to that. And too often, even when his hits are legal, his prey is unsuspecting and, consequently, dangerously vulnerable. Sometimes, those shots are far from the point of attack.

If you don't think that's Ward's MO, consider his own words during a Pittsburgh radio show yesterday. He was talking about the Ravens, and they were reputedly out to get him.

"If I'm on the opposite side of the field, I'm going to try to protect myself and try to whup a guy's tail the whole game," he said. "When the whistle blows, it doesn't matter where you are on the field, it's football."

And as far as hitting guys whose attention is elsewhere, he said mockingly, during the same interview, "Hey, look at me, let me hit you."

There's an argument that goes (as Ward said himself): It's football.

Unfortunately, the cruel reality of pro football is that players' joints are routinely wrenched into permanent distortion and their heads concussed into a foggy future. With all that already at risk, Ward's occasionally gratuitous physical play - more commonly called cheap shots - is unnecessary and a blemish on an otherwise stellar career.

Playing by the rules

By Kevin Van Valkenburg

"Keep your head on a swivel."

Anyone who has played football has had this term drilled into their brain thousands of times. It means, roughly translated, that as a defender, you never pursue a ball carrier without glancing in all directions first. Lock your gaze on the runner, and you're likely to get knocked on your butt by a wide receiver who isn't afraid of contact.

No one does this better than Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, and it's one of the reasons he's one of my favorite football players. (Sorry, Baltimore.) The people who think he's a dirty player - as some suggested last week when Ward crushed Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers and broke his jaw - don't get it. Ward is, in fact, the exact opposite. It's not a cheap shot to hit a defender when he's not looking as long as you do it above the waist.

No one cries foul when defenders hold up a ball carrier so that the third or fourth man arriving on the scene can deliver a nasty lick. And no one raises a stink when defenseless receivers, usually left hanging out to dry by a rookie quarterback, are creamed.

Defenders don't like Ward because he never lets them relax, he's tough as nails and he's impossible to seek retribution against. Ward isn't out to hurt them. He does, however, strike fear in their hearts. And because it's so unusual - especially in this era where prima donnas such as Terrell Owens and Randy Moss reign supreme - it makes defenders furious. The NFL has hinted it's going to keep an eye on Ward, which is ridiculous.

I'd take Ward on my team in a second. And you should, too.

Copyright 2008, The Baltimore Sun

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Ward made a great point when he was on PTI. A few years back Ray Lewis throwed a similar blind side block on a field goal return, and ray was praised by Ravens fans and ESPN for it.

All of a sudden, when it happens to your team, it's dirty. Talk about a double standard.

SteelersMongol
10-24-2008, 10:16 PM
They don't like us, I'm telling you guys. :wink02:

Polamalu43
10-25-2008, 01:01 AM
Who cares what they think about us man really. We are " Rough Rugged and Raw"

steelpride12
10-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Ward plays tough and the league is full of profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter cats.

tony hipchest
10-25-2008, 01:14 PM
holy crap. bill ordine is a wuss.

even brian billick loves hines ward, saying if he had 11 hines wards he'd never lose a game.

stillers4me
10-25-2008, 01:29 PM
holy crap. bill ordine is a wuss.

even brian billick loves hines ward, saying if he had 11 hines wards he'd never lose a game.

If we had 11 Hines Wards, we'd never lose a game. :chuckle:

ben7
10-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Best all around reciever.

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2008, 02:05 PM
here's the hines ward PTI video.....

http://videos.espn.com/m/video/21283083/five_good_minutes_with_hines_ward.htm?pageid=14030

TeeJay
10-25-2008, 02:31 PM
And I always thought Football was a contact sport. Gotta be a winner if Defences are whinning about being hit by a Wide Receiver! :toofunny:

Deal with it...The Steelers just have the best pound for pound, hardest hitting WR in the League.......who also just happens to be one of the best catchers, movers and general playmakers, in the League as well. And he wears Black and Gold my friends. Black and Gold. :tt03:

Hines, whatever you do, just don't stop doing it. You're the MAN! :tt03::thumbsup::drink:

RoethlisBURGHer
10-25-2008, 03:36 PM
All I hear is:

womp womp womp womp!

Those defensive guys make a freaking living off of hitting guys away from the play, blowing guys up with a blindside hit.

They only have a problem with that kind of play when it's someone like Hines Ward hitting them.

And if Suggs is going to call someone a dirty player, he better look in the damn mirror.

lilyoder6
10-25-2008, 05:44 PM
i think the def players are just bitching b/c a wr actually has the balls to go out and block them and go across the middle...

revefsreleets
10-25-2008, 06:00 PM
"Head on a swivel'!

Love it...and it WAS pounded into my head since Pee Wee football...

Hell, I even DRIVE that way...

steel striker
10-25-2008, 06:44 PM
I think it is sad that the Suggs cry's about Hines. Then he and Ray Lewis put out a bounty on Hines & Mendy. They should not have been warned by the nfl but, fined maybe suspended. Once again if a steeler makes any boast like that the league would have come down hard on us.

Sorry for going off topic but, back to Hines he is not a dirty player. The defenders of the league don't like it when the wr's hit back. lol I would not trade Hines for anyone.

JackHammer
10-26-2008, 04:29 AM
It really makes me wonder about the NFL when a league rep tells a player that he didn't have to block so hard, and that he could have let up and just got in the way. They know damn well he puts himself at risk of injury if he lets up on a block. They also know that it's not Hines' job to protect the guy he's blocking. You can only protect yourself in that situation. It's obvious that they want him to conform and wear a dress like most of the WR's in the NFL.

Galax Steeler
10-26-2008, 08:30 AM
I like Hines alot the man knows how to hit I don't think he is a dirty player he just hits hard and does his job well.

T&B fan
10-26-2008, 10:08 AM
:banging:flag football is comeing soon :banging: