PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith's 4 year old has leukemia.

Edman
10-25-2008, 01:31 PM
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=435134

There's the personal reason. About as personal and serious as you can get.

No, Aaron should not play. He needs to be there for his son. Our prayers are with you, big guy.

The Duke
10-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Damn, that's just terrible news

Stay home aaron, your family needs you a lot more

on a sidenote, I'm glad the media has not reported this, it truly is a too personal issue. but somehow I think they are going to get their hands on it....

Leftoverhard
10-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Wow, that's awful. That's one of those things that makes a Sunday football game seem meaningless.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-25-2008, 01:53 PM
God bless you Aaron...prayers are with you.

MACH1
10-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Yep..He needs to stay home and take care of his family.

stillers4me
10-25-2008, 02:02 PM
God bless the little guy. My prayers are with Aaron and his family.

I'm sure it won't be long until the media announces it. The positve side is the entire Steelers Nation will be praying for them. Never under estimate the power of prayer. And that's a mighty big prayer chain.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-25-2008, 02:31 PM
My prayers are with Aaron and his family and friends.

Steel_Bus_24
10-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Be with your family Aaron, your a class act and I wish the best for you and your family

Brandon
10-25-2008, 02:50 PM

I'm sure it won't be long until the media announces it. The positve side is the entire Steelers Nation will be praying for them. Never under estimate the power of prayer. And that's a mighty big prayer chain.

:headshake:

klick81
10-25-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm hoping this is just an internet rumor.

MillerMania83
10-25-2008, 03:08 PM
WOW, this is terrible news if it's true....My prayers are with Aaron and his entire family.

GBMelBlount
10-25-2008, 03:22 PM

I'm sure it won't be long until the media announces it. The positive side is the entire Steelers Nation will be praying for them. Never under estimate the power of prayer. And that's a mighty big prayer chain.

I agree Sue! :thumbsup:

We'll certainly be praying!

devilsdancefloor
10-25-2008, 03:30 PM
i too hope it is a rumor , but if not he has my prayers for sure.

steelpride12
10-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Terrible news.
Prayers with your son and family.

GutterflowerSteel
10-25-2008, 04:14 PM
What a devastating diagnosis - the poor little guy. Here's hoping for a positive outcome - he will most definitely have the prayers of Steelers Nation - P U S H !

P ray
U ntil
S omething
H appens

SteelCityMan786
10-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Prayers to the family Aaron. May that 4 year old get back to normal soon.

revefsreleets
10-25-2008, 04:55 PM
I was hoping that this would stay a private matter, as it was obviously his wish that the matter stay that way.

But now that it's out, good luck Aaron!

ricksteelers55
10-25-2008, 05:00 PM
God bless you Aaron all,my prayers are with your son

jjpro11
10-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Oh my God, that is horrible. that disease has affected way too many people I know.

Dino 6 Rings
10-25-2008, 05:56 PM
oh man...that's just the saddest thing possible...god bless Aaron and his family.

fansince'76
10-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Thoughts and prayers to Aaron and his family. God bless.

GeneralRobinson
10-25-2008, 07:16 PM
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=435134

There's the personal reason. About as personal and serious as you can get.

No, Aaron should not play. He needs to be there for his son. Our prayers are with you, big guy.

I think there needs to be a more substantiated source before these type threads are started. Nothing personal, Edman, just think that a thread in another message board without a statement from Smith or the club should be not be cited without more fact checking.

Hapa
10-25-2008, 07:19 PM
It's one of those things that makes you realize football ISN'T everything.

I think Aaron should stay home, but honestly, I bet he wants to play. Football is a release from everything else. If anything, when you're lying on your ass going "holy shit he just hit me hard", you have no worries and you have no stress.

But what DOES piss me off is people like Santo missing games and letting down his fans for smoking weed.

Dizzle43
10-25-2008, 07:32 PM
This is terrible news. My prayers are with their family. This certainly puts life in perspective.

HometownGal
10-25-2008, 07:35 PM
My prayers are with you and the family, Aaron, and especially going up for your little boy. There have been a lot of strides made in the diagnosis of and treatment for leukemia and I have every faith in the Lord that He will place this little guy in His hands, care for him and cure him. :hug:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k262/hiyosemite/LittleAngelsPraying.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/sparkletags2/Religious/A/angesfriends066.jpg

Stlrs4Life
10-25-2008, 08:01 PM
WOW, this is terrible news if it's true....My prayers are with Aaron and his entire family.

I agree, prayers out for him and his family.

Steelman16
10-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow, that is horrible news. My prayers go out to Aaron and his family. Football is nothing compared to a son, but maybe we could win one for Aaron's boy.

Aaron and Family: May the Lord bless you and keep you, may He shine His face upon you, and give you peace.

God Bless!

Preacher
10-25-2008, 10:25 PM
My first hope and prayer is that this is just an internet rumor.

However, I am praying for him all the same.

I wouldn't be surprised to see aaron play.. or be on again off again depending on how his son is doing.

God bless the family during this time.

WWIIOwheelz
10-25-2008, 10:40 PM
My first hope and prayer is that this is just an internet rumor.

However, I am praying for him all the same.

I wouldn't be surprised to see aaron play.. or be on again off again depending on how his son is doing.

God bless the family during this time.

My sentiments exactly

Havik
10-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I hate to hear anything like this happen to anyone, especially a child. Aaron Smith is a great guy who I have a lot of respect for. I don't know the facts, but I really hope that what I'm hearing is not true.

Preacher
10-26-2008, 12:16 AM
I hate to hear anything like this happen to anyone, especially a child. Aaron Smith is a great guy who I have a lot of respect for. I don't know the facts, but I really hope that what I'm hearing is not true.

Absolutely.

This is the kind of thing you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. I mean, Osama bin Laden's son could have this, and I would STILL feel bad for the family... (though would have no problem sending a SEAL team to snipe Osama walking out of the hospital).

KeiselPower99
10-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Sorry to hear that. The Steelers Nation is praying for your family.

SteelersMongol
10-26-2008, 05:59 AM
Thoughts & prayers R 4 the Smith's family. God bless.

Galax Steeler
10-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Thoughts and prayers to the Smith family.

OX1947
10-26-2008, 01:21 PM
what a freakin blow, UGH. 4 yr old with cancer, the hell kind of world is this man...

steelpride12
10-26-2008, 02:29 PM
I guess since he is playing in today's game his son is getting better!

stillers4me
10-26-2008, 07:39 PM
I guess since he is playing in today's game his son is getting better!

If it's true, cancer doesn't "get better" that fast.

He played because he has a job to do. He's a good man and good father.

jjpro11
10-26-2008, 07:44 PM
he had a gutsy performance today.. he played great from what i saw. the dline really played well today now that they are all healthy.

PAMillerGrrl83
10-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Oh my goodness I'm a little late reading this but Aaron and his family *esp* his son are in my prayers.

Lock Down
10-27-2008, 05:34 AM
Can't even imagine what Aaron could be going through, truly breaks the heart to have see a kid as young as four suffer through any unfortunate circumstance let alone suffer through cancer.

Prayers are with the Smith family.

DACEB
10-27-2008, 05:56 AM
My heart goes out to the Smith family, good luck and stay strong.

\m/xtrememarine\m/
10-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Keep the faith big man, our prayers are with you

steelerstrade
10-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Very sad, I am sure we all have or prayers and thoughts with the family...VERY ROUGH.

The Duke
10-27-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm truly impressed with this man. just going out there and playing despite his issue

"This was the best part of my week -- by far -- even though we lost," Smith said. "This was where I needed to be for a few hours. There's nowhere I'd rather be than right here. These guys are family to me. I'm closer to them than I am to my own brothers."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08301/923227-87.stm

This guy has the biggest heart in the world

We are with you aaron :tt03:

memphissteelergirl
10-27-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm truly impressed with this man. just going out there and playing despite his issue

That says a lot about a player when his teamates can speak about him in such a positive way.

Aaron, God bless you and your family! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

lilyoder6
10-27-2008, 04:18 PM
it's nothing new to hear this from smith, always knew the guy was one of a kind

TheWarDen86
10-27-2008, 04:39 PM
That's horrible news. Screw football..., I hope he's playing because it helps him and not because he feels obligated. This is just aweful news.

klick81
10-27-2008, 05:08 PM

Read the article. You gotta admire how much these guys love each other. :tt03:

Preacher
10-27-2008, 05:34 PM
I understand his coming out and playing... It is almost a relief for him to be involved in something that he CAN do something about.

Good for him.

Angina
10-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Lots of love, support and prayers to the Smith family, although I hope this report is mistaken.

Childhood leukemia can have remission rates up to 90% depending on the form. Let's hope if the report is true, that the little guy enjoys a quick and permanent remission and eventual cure!!

Angina

Quadsmom
12-23-2008, 02:20 PM
We're praying for the Smith family!

Here's a neat story of one of our local quarterbacks from a couple of years ago. He played on my nephew's team , he battled leukemia and won. He went onto to "live the dream" of leading his high school team his senior year. We know this little Elijah has tough genetics and will WIN!!!!!!!

Here's the story, it's cool. :) http://www.oregonlive.com/prepfootball/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1214016936153390.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

GO, ELIJAH!!! WE'RE PULLING FOR YOU!!!:tt02:

PS: We have friends who've gone through this and continuing to do some of the things they "normally" did was some of the best therapy for dealing with the emotional trauma of it, so if he plays I think it will be because he needs to play and his family wants him to. God bless them all, whatever he decides.

drizze99
12-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Bires: Aaron Smith for MVP (http://timesonline.com/articles/2008/12/21/sports/steelers/doc494dd194a9b72787685607.txt)

By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Sunday, December 21, 2008 12:19 AM EST

Last season, the Steelers created quite a stir by choosing James Harrison as their Most Valuable Player. This year, they may cause a fuss by not voting for their star outside linebacker.

That’s right. Don’t be surprised if Harrison doesn’t repeat as team MVP.

That sounds outrageous considering he’s a candidate for NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors. Harrison may get his share of votes as the league’s MVP.

So why would his teammates not choose him as the Steelers’ MVP?

It’s because of Aaron Smith.

First of all, Smith is an outstanding football player. It’s just so happens that he plays defensive end on a 3-4 defense. In a 3-4, it’s the linebackers, especially the outside ’backers, who are put in position to make the most “splash” plays.

Just look at what Harrison and LaMarr Woodley have done this season. They have combined for 26.5 sacks.

Smith “only” has 5.5 sacks this year. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t playing at a high level. He’s especially good at stuffing the run. He’s been long regarded as one of the league’s most underrated defenders.

Secondly, Smith is one of the most admired players on the team. His down-to-earth personality and strong-minded work ethic have endeared him to his teammates the past nine years.

Then this year, the Steelers rallied around Smith when it was learned in October that his 5-year-old son Elijah was battling leukemia.

For awhile, there was fear that Smith’s son would not survive. But now, it’s been determined that young Elijah has an 80 percent chance of surviving.

How refreshing it is for the Steelers to see Smith going about his business as a football player the past few weeks knowing that his son has a promising prognosis.

This past Wednesday, however, there was genuine disgust in the locker room when the Pro Bowl rosters were announced. Only three Steelers were picked. That’s not a whole lot of all-stars for an 11-3 team with the NFL’s best defense.

Ben Roethlisberger, Casey Hampton, Woodley and Ike Taylor were some of the Steelers who may have been snubbed. But the most obvious snub, said the Steelers, was that of Smith.

That’s why it wouldn’t be shocking if Harrison doesn’t repeat as team MVP.

Last year when he had 8.5 sacks and six forced fumbles, Harrison got the nod over Roethlisberger even though he set franchise records with 32 TD passes and a 104.1 passer rating.

Harrison, who has 15 sacks this year, may be the Steelers’ all-time sack leader by the end of the day. That doesn’t mean he’ll be the team MVP.

There’s a genuine sense in the locker room that Aaron Smith could be the man.

drizze99
12-23-2008, 02:59 PM
I have a 3 yr old and a 7 yr old and I can't even imagine what Aaron is going through right now. My thoughts and prayers are for Elijah and the Smith family.

SteelerFanInCA
12-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Same here, I have a 6 yr old and 3 yr old. I hope I never have to face what he's going through.

My prayers and thoughts will be with Aaron and his family.

glowrock
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
I realize that this thread is already quite old, but I wanted to put in my $.02 regarding this news. Speaking as someone who dealt with a close family member's battle with Leukemia several years ago (my mom, who unfortunately lost her battle with the disease :( ), I unfortunately have some idea of what Aaron must be going through right now. My sincerest thoughts and hopes for his son's recovery are with him, no doubt about it! Hopefully his son will pull through and beat this terrible disease!

This also hits me hard given that Aaron and I were college roommates for a year while at Northern Colorado. He's a damn nice guy, and to hear about him going through something like this is just heartbreaking.

I do realize that there's probably not a even the remotest chance that the players themselves might be reading these message boards, but if they do, I'd love to be able to get back in contact with Aaron again. It's been more than 10 years since I knew him at UNC, and I just wanted to let him know that my promise to him that whatever team he got drafted by would be my second-favorite NFL team (as I lived in Denver for 12 years, my #1 is the Broncos...), has always been kept. No doubt, the Steelers will always be my #2 team, forever!

Aaron R.

Blitzberg06
01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with Aaron and his family.

Polamalu43
01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
WOW that's terrible man.. Keep your head up big guy!

BigTrouble
01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Our prayers are with Aaron and his family. I applaud the way they are all going on with their lives, trying to be as normal as possible. The last thing that sick children want is for mom and dad to quit living. If you've never visited St. Judes Childrens Research Hospital you need to make a trip there. Those children are the true heros and will teach you so much more about life, love and happiness than you'll ever know. Our group makes a trip every year the week before labor day to give the hospital much need donations for their research. Aaron's son will be the true hero and Aaron, his family and the Steelers will learn a lot and be the richer for it.