PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here actually voted early?

revefsreleets
10-25-2008, 06:48 PM
I haven't seen any posts, or, if they were there, I missed them.

Obama has made a big push for this, and I'm wondering who's responding...from what I've read, like 90% of the people voting early are voting for him.

I'm assuming that it's the full ballot, not just the Presidential election? How does it work?

stillers4me
10-25-2008, 08:24 PM
We applied for a mail in ballot. We have them, just need to fill them out and mail them out on Monday. We live in Ohio and I'm sure each state is different.

Our polls will open at 7 am and that's when I have to leave for work. By the time I get home and to where I go to vote, I'll probably be in line for hours. No way.

revefsreleets
10-25-2008, 08:30 PM
So early voting is by mail only?

steelpinstripe72
10-25-2008, 08:36 PM
I sent in my absentee ballot last week. So yeah, you can vote early - by mail.

revefsreleets
10-25-2008, 08:38 PM
I understand absentee...but what is early voting? Or are they the same?

MACH1
10-25-2008, 08:41 PM

I think absentee is by mail only. Didn't Ohio with acorn do the early voting where they could cast their ballots right there? :noidea:

Polamalu Princess
10-25-2008, 08:46 PM
No, I did not vote early, but a few years ago my husband and I were going to be out of the country and did vote early and it was a complete mess. We went to get our papers at the court house and they gave the ballots to us without even asking for identification. I even questioned the lady and she said, “No, I do not even have to have a signature from you.” Off we went and no one was even watching. I am sure that this is not the case in most places, but it bothered me that so little care was taken to let us have our vote be 100% authentic. I did contact local and state officials without much interest, but Quinn and Rose (The Warroom) at least put me on their radio program and let me express my concern. Otherwise – nothing was done. So, who knows how many “wrong identity” votes are cast every single election.:doh:

GutterflowerSteel
10-25-2008, 09:11 PM
So early voting is by mail only?
No - a friend in Colorado told me she was going to vote early yesterday - at the mall.

CantStop85
10-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I haven't seen any posts, or, if they were there, I missed them.

Obama has made a big push for this, and I'm wondering who's responding...from what I've read, like 90% of the people voting early are voting for him.

I'm assuming that it's the full ballot, not just the Presidential election? How does it work?

I sent in my absentee ballot last week....Obama/Biden.

cubanstogie
10-25-2008, 09:54 PM

good luck to you, I hope you get additional food stamps from your new prez

tony hipchest
10-25-2008, 10:19 PM
its pretty much the same. i did absentee once.

(factoid- back in '96 it cost about $100 to collect and process every single absentee ballot). for everyone who says their vote dont count, i just shake my head. EVERY vote is (and should be considered) valuable.

ive worked 5-6 elections as an election judge/official (we're the people who check you in at the door and show you how to work the voting machines).

its not quite volunteer work, as it paid $125 a day back in the 90's. we are the ones who make sure all votes are legit and prevent fraud. i can honestly say (ive only worked the electronic machines) it would be very difficult to beat the system.

for every electronic vote casted, there is a paper trail to back it up and verify it.

i have not voted early, as i like the tuesday suspense and the whole process. i am looking forward to nov. 4.

we normally dont have long lines to vote, and from what i'm hearing, they have been longer for the early birds this year.

Preacher
10-25-2008, 10:36 PM
its pretty much the same. i did absentee once.

(factoid- back in '96 it cost about $100 to collect and process every single absentee ballot). for everyone who says their vote dont count, i just shake my head. EVERY vote is (and should be considered) valuable.

ive worked 5-6 elections as an election judge/official (we're the people who check you in at the door and show you how to work the voting machines).

its not quite volunteer work, as it paid $125 a day back in the 90's. we are the ones who make sure all votes are legit and prevent fraud. i can honestly say (ive only worked the electronic machines) it would be very difficult to beat the system.

for every electronic vote casted, there is a paper trail to back it up and verify it.

i have not voted early, as i like the tuesday suspense and the whole process. i am looking forward to nov. 4.

we normally dont have long lines to vote, and from what i'm hearing, they have been longer for the early birds this year.

I have a real problem with some of the electronic voting, because there is no paper trail. However, if there is an electronic voting system that prints out a ballot that you can re-check... I think that would be the best bet.

tony hipchest
10-25-2008, 11:16 PM
I have a real problem with some of the electronic voting, because there is no paper trail. However, if there is an electronic voting system that prints out a ballot that you can re-check... I think that would be the best bet.

wow. i didnt realize it was so left up to skeptisizm in other states. here in our little backwoods po-dunk town, we have a book of ALL registered voters who are requires to sign in and given a ticket with a number. they then vote (electronically in all the sites ive worked).

if there are 1157 voters in my precinct there are 1157 tickets and signatures to back the vote. it wont tell us if you voted with your registered party, but it will allow us to verify a rep, dem, ind, lib or other vote. if they dont match up, we stay overtime until we find the mistake.

we were off by one vote one year. the 5 of ust stayed an hour and a half overtime until we were able to account for the "missing vote" (it was a simple case of 2 slips being stuck together).

when i say "every vote counts" its not just lip service. i mean it. like i said, 10 years ago ones state spent $100 for each and every absentee ballot (ive counted those too, one time).

my best friend worked for the clerks office (IT dude) and set up these machines all over the state.

Preacher
10-26-2008, 12:32 AM
wow. i didnt realize it was so left up to skeptisizm in other states. here in our little backwoods po-dunk town, we have a book of ALL registered voters who are requires to sign in and given a ticket with a number. they then vote (electronically in all the sites ive worked).

if there are 1157 voters in my precinct there are 1157 tickets and signatures to back the vote. it wont tell us if you voted with your registered party, but it will allow us to verify a rep, dem, ind, lib or other vote. if they dont match up, we stay overtime until we find the mistake.

we were off by one vote one year. the 5 of ust stayed an hour and a half overtime until we were able to account for the "missing vote" (it was a simple case of 2 slips being stuck together).

when i say "every vote counts" its not just lip service. i mean it. like i said, 10 years ago ones state spent $100 for each and every absentee ballot (ive counted those too, one time).

my best friend worked for the clerks office (IT dude) and set up these machines all over the state.

Thats pretty good.

The problem I have with electronic votes is when there is no paper to back up the electronic vote. My problem isn't just for voter fraud (though it could be a problem). It is also practical. What happens if the power goes out, or the machine glitches and only spits our dem or Rep. votes? The paper ballots give a good backup. It also allows for voters to double-check to make sure they voted right. We had a problem here in the bay area with a few votes jumping from democrat to republican when the touch screen was used. They would touch dem, but the rep. screen would light up.

It isn't anything skeptical, rather, it is the backup for the "what if THAT happens?"

That's all.

tony hipchest
10-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Thats pretty good.

The problem I have with electronic votes is when there is no paper to back up the electronic vote. My problem isn't just for voter fraud (though it could be a problem). It is also practical. What happens if the power goes out, or the machine glitches and only spits our dem or Rep. votes? The paper ballots give a good backup. It also allows for voters to double-check to make sure they voted right. We had a problem here in the bay area with a few votes jumping from democrat to republican when the touch screen was used. They would touch dem, but the rep. screen would light up.

It isn't anything skeptical, rather, it is the backup for the "what if THAT happens?"

That's all.it is generated backed and capable via battery. theres really no difference between checking a box via pencis, punching a chad, or pressing a button that verifies a vote electronically.

like i said, its all backed up by paper in my state. i cant speak for others. this isnt florida (although we dont have a bush as gov here):wink02:

Preacher
10-26-2008, 12:56 AM
it is generated backed and capable via battery. theres really no difference between checking a box via pencis, punching a chad, or pressing a button that verifies a vote electronically.

like i said, its all backed up by paper in my state. i cant speak for others. this isnt florida (although we dont have a bush as gov here):wink02:

Neither does florida.

Like I said, I have no problem with it if it is backed up by paper. I actually think it is better, because it can give faster, more accurate results.

tony hipchest
10-26-2008, 01:02 AM
anyways i havent voted early because i enjoy the tuesday experience. ( i can do it with pay but i always do it on my way home from work)

i hope nobody reaches far enough to argue with that because i so happen to be casting my ballot for obama. :rolleyes:

(insert another sarcasm smiley here)

Preacher
10-26-2008, 01:09 AM
anyways i havent voted early because i enjoy the tuesday experience. ( i can do it with pay but i always do it on my way home from work)

i hope nobody reaches far enough to argue with that because i so happen to be casting my ballot for obama. :rolleyes:

(insert another sarcasm smiley here)

Give it a rest Tony. its getting a little tiring.

On voting on election day, I used to do it, but not anymore. 2 years ago I went to vote, and stood in line for hours. This time, I am going to vote absentee (gotta fill out the form).

Then start packing! I head to Pittsburgh that Thursday!!!

tony hipchest
10-26-2008, 01:27 AM
way to bilk your local govt an extra $100+ to collect your vote! :thumbsup:

enjoy your trip to pgh. :wink:

Preacher
10-26-2008, 02:53 AM
way to bilk your local govt an extra $100+ to collect your vote! :thumbsup:

enjoy your trip to pgh. :wink:

This is California...

probably 150 :chuckle:

I am looking forward to Primanti's!!!

Godfather
10-26-2008, 09:04 AM

That's what my county does. I agree that it's hte best way.

Steel Duck
10-29-2008, 08:51 PM
A mail in ballot is different than voting early...
You CAN vote early...I voted today. Call your countys election office..They will tell you where your closest early voting location is. There are typically far less locations than on election day...Like here in the city of Wichita we only have 16 early vote locations, but I got right in and got right out. Not sure what methods you use there for voting (as we all know voting is still NOT standardized), but we have touch screen voting here..it was a 5 page ballot..simple easy and quick!
Early voting is common for most areas...Call your local election office to get more info.

Vis
10-30-2008, 07:03 AM
I voted.

I'm not going to carry this state for Obama, though.

Interesting article:

McCain Support Continues Downward Spiral

Obama Leads by 19 Among Those Who Have Already Voted

October 28, 2008

Barack Obama leads John McCain by a 52%-to-36% margin in Pew's latest nationwide survey of 1,325 registered voters. This is the fourth consecutive survey that has found support for the Republican candidate edging down. In contrast, since early October weekly Pew surveys have shown about the same number of respondents saying they back Obama. When the sample is narrowed to those most likely to vote, Obama leads by 53% to 38%.

A breakdown of voting intentions by demographic groups shows that since mid- September, McCain's support has declined significantly across most voting blocs. Currently, McCain holds a statistically significant advantage only among white evangelical Protestants (aside from Republicans). In addition, Obama runs nearly even with McCain in the so-called red states, all of which George W. Bush won in 2004.

Just as ominous for the Republican candidate, Obama holds a 53%-to-34% lead among the sizable minority of voters (15%) who say they have already voted. Among those who plan to vote early but have not yet voted (16% of voters), 56% support Obama, while 37% support McCain.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1008/mccain-support-continues-downward-spiral

revefsreleets
10-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Obama targeted early voters. I'm surprised his lead is so low. I'd have expected 80-20.

tony hipchest
10-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Thats pretty good.

The problem I have with electronic votes is when there is no paper to back up the electronic vote. My problem isn't just for voter fraud (though it could be a problem). It is also practical. It isn't anything skeptical, rather, it is the backup for the "what if THAT happens?"

That's all.
my brother and mother went and voted early today. i didnt his initiative had passed but our state will be going all paper ballot (with a pen), and doing away with the electronic machines (and 4-5 other methods we used). they told me the gov. wanted everything backed up w/ paper and minimal chance of fraud so i looked it up to verify-

http://votetrustusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=723&Itemid=113

New Mexico: Richardson Calls For Paper Ballots Statewide
By Warren Stewart, Director of Legislative Issues and Policy, VoteTrustUSA
January 12, 2006
Governor Proposes Legislation Requiring Paper Based System In Every County

[Link to Governor Richardson's Press Release]

At a press conference in Santa Fe today, New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson said that he will propose legislation that requires a paper ballot voting system in all counties and asking that lawmakers allocate $11 million to help pay for needed software and voting machines. According to an Albuquerque Journal article Secretary of State Rebecca Vigil-Giron and Attorney General Patricia Madrid support the switch to the paper ballot system. The press conference was attended by many election reform activists including representatives of Verified Voting New Mexico and United Voters of New Mexico, two groups that have labored tirelessly for verifiable elections in the state. Richardson generously invited activists, clerks, and legislators to speak at the press conference and their was uniform praise for the Governor's proposal.

Richardson noted that New Mexico currently uses 6 different sytems, a situation that results in added costs and complications in assembling election results. He observed that irregularities in New Mexico's election data had received national attention and through his proposed unified system, he intended New Mexico to lead the nation in trustworthy election processes. Richardson also pointed out that a uniform paper based systems will save the state in the long run in spite of the initial cost of implementation, a fact born out by numerous studies from states across the country.

spend a little now, to save alot later. :applaudit: still bummed i will not be casting a vote tuesday with his name on the ticket.

NJarhead
10-30-2008, 08:46 PM

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?u=486&dateline=1187838279

Steel Duck
10-30-2008, 08:51 PM

WOO HOO!!!:applaudit: I voted yesterday...Obama/Biden!!!:thumbsup:

Tankus_Maximus
10-31-2008, 10:57 AM
lmfao...couldn't have said it better myself!! rack him!!!

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?u=486&dateline=1187838279

CantStop85
10-31-2008, 12:54 PM
rack him!!!

So THAT's where I recognize you from...how are you doing, Willie?

3GkC0IHCtdc

Tankus_Maximus
10-31-2008, 01:23 PM
ssshhheeeeiiit....I wish I was black...least I'd have some rhythm and be able to dance. Nice try junior, hope Obama increases your foodstamps.

Leftoverhard
10-31-2008, 01:55 PM
ssshhheeeeiiit....I wish I was black...least I'd have some rhythm and be able to dance. Nice try junior, hope Obama increases your foodstamps.

Instead you're just an grumpy white man who of course, can't dance, doesn't have rhythm, is completely self sustaining, never does anything wrong and never needs help.
Almost forgot, likes to call other adults - junior.