PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jacobs vs. the Steelers Defense

GBMelBlount
10-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Head to Head: Giants RB Brandon Jacobs vs. Steelers run defense
A closer look at the game within the game

Brandon Jacobs, left, and James Farrior Jacobs

Larry Foote said it will be like two pit bulls fighting for the same bone when the New York Giants, who have the NFL's top rushing attack, are at Heinz Field today to play the Steelers, who have the league's No. 1 overall defense.

"When two go head-on like that, someone's got to give," said Foote, the Steelers' inside linebacker. "Hopefully, it will be them, not us."

The Giants (5-1) lead the league in rushing, averaging 169.7 yards per game, and they interchange their running backs the way some teams change their socks. Brandon Jacobs is their leading rusher with 516 yards, but he is complemented by Derrick Ward (337 yards) and Ahman Bradshaw (147 yards).

As a team, the Giants average 5.6 yards per rush attempt, best in the league.

"They definitely have the 1-2-3 punch," said inside linebacker James Farrior.

The Steelers rank second in the league in rush defense, behind the Baltimore Ravens, allowing an average of 69.7 yards per game. However, they have allowed only one team to rush for over 100 yards this season (Ravens, 103) and are the only team to not allow a run of 20 yards or longer.

The longest run against the Steelers was a 15-yarder by Cincinnati's Cedric Benson, and that was the play on which cornerback Bryant McFadden (broken forearm) and Troy Polamalu (concussion) were injured.

"I don't want to take anything away from their backs, but anytime a back is back there getting yards, and that goes back to when Tiki Barber was there, and the backups have a high yards-per-carry, it starts with the offensive line, first and foremost," Foote said.

But it's not just their run-blocking. Quarterback Eli Manning has been sacked six times in six games. By comparison, Ben Roethlisberger was sacked that many times in the first half in Philadelphia.

"They have some big boys up front," said outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley. "And they have some big boys in the backfield."

The biggest of them all is Jacobs, who, at 6-foot-4, 264 pounds, is bigger than seven of the 11 starters on the Steelers defense.

Coach Mike Tomlin said one of the problems stopping Jacobs is that the Giants offensive line is so effective at sustaining blocks that it is difficult to hit Jacobs before he gets started.

"He's long-striding 3 yards from the line of scrimmage," Tomlin said.

"That's been the key -- stop 'em before they get started," said nose tackle Casey Hampton, who will return after missing three games with a groin injury. "They do a good job of giving him room and giving him big gaps to run through and getting him up on the little defensive backs. It's hard for them to bring him down."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08300/922750-66.stm

Sunday, October 26, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Gerry Dulac can be reached at gdulac at post-gazette.com.

STEELtownHAVOX
10-26-2008, 08:22 AM
gonna be fun to watch, tell you that much. Jacobs is a stud, he will run you over. Hopefully we will be laying him out.

Galax Steeler
10-26-2008, 08:22 AM
It will be some smashmouth football today it will definetly be some hard hitting hopefully our deffense is up to it and can stop the running game.

GBMelBlount
10-26-2008, 08:28 AM
It will be some smashmouth football today it will definetly be some hard hitting hopefully our deffense is up to it and can stop the running game.

Jacobs is an absolute freak. We need to put some points up early, put the game in Eli's hands and bring the house.

Edman
10-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Brandon Jacobs is a physical specimen at Halfback. He scares me.

If the Steelers D are going to be without Smith, then they have their work cut out for them big time. If the Giants are going to be beaten, Jacobs must be stopped, or at least contained.

Preacher
10-26-2008, 11:02 AM
This game could put us on the map for this year...

Isn't funny how we seem to always be out of the discussion for who's the best?

The Duke
10-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Hampton vs Jacobs

lol, that should be fun

Dline rotation has to be better than ever this game. it sucks aaron can't be there, but there's no excuses, eason kirshke and roye have to play just as well

Stop him and the defense can concentrate on manning

Dizzle43
10-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Go for his knees, please!!

randy06
10-26-2008, 12:21 PM
I would be lying if i said i wasnt worried but.....im not haha

steelpride12
10-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Honestly i don't think Jacobs will have a good game at all.
The Steelers will be looking forward to stopping the run game early and they will making Eli pass the ball, and without Plax i know Woodley and Harrison are hungry.

Steeldude
10-26-2008, 05:41 PM
i would rather have hoke in.

hampton should remain a benchwarmer until he is down to 320.

STEELtownHAVOX
10-26-2008, 07:55 PM
well jacobs didn't do shit. great job D, especially on the 4th and inches on the goal line, incredible.

Steelman16
10-26-2008, 08:01 PM
i would rather have hoke in.

hampton should remain a benchwarmer until he is down to 320.

:doh:

Hampton made a great stop in the 3rd I believe. I don't see how you can want him on the bench.

That goalline stand was amazing. Great job by the D to stuff 'em.

steelpride12
10-26-2008, 08:21 PM
We owned.

SanAntonio'sHomes
10-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Jacobs was terrible against our "undersized" defense. The D played amazing tonight!:tt03:

JShockey
10-27-2008, 10:48 AM
well jacobs didn't do shit. great job D, especially on the 4th and inches on the goal line, incredible.

He did just enough. The Pitt D was soft down the stretch. Worn down by BJ. :blah:

X-Terminator
10-27-2008, 10:53 AM
He did just enough. The Pitt D was soft down the stretch. Worn down by BJ. :blah:

They were worn down because they were on the field so much in the first half especially and had to defend a short field much of that time to boot. They handled Jacobs just fine.

JShockey
10-27-2008, 11:02 AM
We owned.

Ask your LB how he's feeling this morning after getting crushed by BJ on Boss' TD catch late. Exactly...

:toofunny:

steelpride12
10-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Ask your LB how he's feeling this morning after getting crushed by BJ on Boss' TD catch late. Exactly...

:toofunny:

Well as rushing goes pretty sure Jacobs has like 39 yards, ouch. :laughing: