PDA

View Full Version : Wilson’s Timmons making mark for Steelers

mesaSteeler
10-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Wilson’s Timmons making mark for Steelers
http://www.scnow.com/scp/sports/other/article/wilsons_timmons_making_mark_for_steelers/17562/

Former Wilson standout Lawrence Timmons is seeing more playing for the Steelers and had two sacks last week against the Bengals.

By Lou Bezjak
Published: October 25, 2008

As a rookie last season, Lawrence Timmons wasn’t one to stay around the Pittsburgh Steelers facility after practice ended.

That’s definitely not the case this year as the second-year linebacker is putting in the extra time, watching film and in the training room to make sure he is ready on Sundays.

“I used to want to leave as soon as I could,” Timmons said this week. “Now I’m trying to soak up everything I can.”

The results are starting to come for the former Wilson standout. Going into today’s game against the N.Y. Giants, Timmons has 23 tackles, six more than he had all last season, in six games and had his best day as a pro last week against the Bengals.

Timmons recorded a career-high 10 tackles and two sacks in the 38-10 victory.
“Timmons is capable of beating people and that’s what he’s been doing,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday during his weekly press conference.

Tomlin has been impressed with Timmons’ improvement, dating back to training camp when he shined during a one-on-one drill in practice in which linebackers go up against the running backs and tight ends. Timmons was in contention to earn a starting spot with Larry Foote for much of the preseason.

Even though he didn’t win the job, Timmons is on about 75 percent of the Steelers plays and is used in a variety of ways. Because of Timmons’ versatility, his responsibilities range from covering running backs and tight ends out of the backfield to lining up and blitzing the quarterback.

“Lawrence is a guy on the come,” Tomlin said during training camp. “We challenged him to be at his best. He’s a second-year guy along with everybody else in his class, and I really think he has embraced that challenge. He’s a talented guy, but he’s not a finished product by any means. But he does have an attitude to come out here and get better every time we work.”

Timmons played in all 16 games as a rookie, mainly on special teams, but failed to have the impact the Steelers were looking for when they drafted him in the first round. He was hampered early in preseason by a hamstring injury and missed a majority of the preseason.

Timmons also was switched in the middle of the season from outside linebacker, a position he played at Wilson and Florida State, to inside linebacker in the Steelers’ 3-4 scheme.

“That was definitely tough,” Timmons said of the position switch. “A lot of different things were thrown at me.”

Timmons said he used last year as a learning experience and was able to pick up on things watching veterans James Harrison, James Farrior and Foote. The trio, along with Timmons and Lamar Woodley, who also was drafted last year, give the Steelers one of the most formidable linebacker corps in the NFL.

Pittsburgh’s linebackers have combined for 23 of the team’s NFL-best 25 sacks.
“They are some of the best in the league,” Timmons said of the Steeler linebackers. “We are a steady group of guys getting sacks. Those guys have made it really easy for me.”

While Timmons’ learning and development continues on the field, he also has had to adjust off the field especially since the birth of his son, Lawrence Lindsey Timmons Jr., in May. He says that made him adjust his priorities in life.

“It’s not about you anymore,” Timmons said. “I have just tried to become a better person and be the best role model for him I can be.”

(Good to see a change in attitude in Timmons and now that he is putting the extra work it won't be long until he is starting. Sounds like Coach T is handling him the right way by challenging him to live up to his potential. - mesaSteeler)

Galax Steeler
10-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Timmons will be starting before to much longer he is slowly working his way into the lineup he is starting to show why we drafted him in the first round.