PDA

View Full Version : Who else is tired with Arians' play calling???

steelers2685
10-26-2008, 07:32 PM
I was upset by his play-calling last year, but am getting even more frustrated with it as this season goes on. Grant it, Mewelde had a good day and we hit a couple long balls down field (one didn't stand with the holding call on Colon), but other than that, I feel like I'm watching a midget league coach call these plays?! Am I the only one that feels the Steelers have enough offensive weapons to exploit some more downfield tries and thus being a more aggressive force on Offense? I know our line completely SUCKS, which is probably why a lot of our play calling is in the screen to five yard range, but nonetheless, I am very disappointed with how the Offense is performing anymore. Thoughts? :coffee:

HometownGal
10-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Here we go again 'round the mulberry bush. :banging:

Ben calls a lot of the plays and though it isn't all up to him, the players (including Ben) need to EXECUTE. How hard is this for people to understand??? :doh:

The Duke
10-26-2008, 07:36 PM
:rofl:

will this threads ever stop?

oline just wasn't in the game today. nor ben....kinda

revefsreleets
10-26-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm out...can't do this anymore. It saps IQ points right out of my head to even VISIT these ridiculous threads...and there will be a hundred of them this week.

MACH1
10-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Yep, Its going to be a long week here.

Fire Em, Fire Em All. :doh:

Steelman16
10-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm out...can't do this anymore. It saps IQ points right out of my head to even VISIT these ridiculous threads...and there will be a hundred of them this week.

:chuckle:

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-26-2008, 07:45 PM
:rofl:

will this threads ever stop?

oline just wasn't in the game today. nor ben....kinda

The o-Line is fine. Ben just doesn't throw the ball.

Steel_Bus_24
10-26-2008, 07:49 PM
It just drives me freaking crazy seeing Heath used as a FB on 3rd and longs

STEELtownHAVOX
10-26-2008, 07:52 PM
terrible execution.

SanAntonio'sHomes
10-26-2008, 08:12 PM
playcalling was better than normal. this was the first time i've seen the slant used effectively to eliminate some passrush. We just missed a few crucial plays that could have changed the game.
:tt:

steelpride12
10-26-2008, 08:14 PM

Ben calls a lot of the plays and though it isn't all up to him, the players (including Ben) need to EXECUTE. How hard is this for people to understand??? :doh:

That was quick too wow!
ITS NOT ARIANS, it was the offensive effort tonight that struggled and had a bad 4th period.
The line stunk, Ben had bad plays all around it was not a good or bad game, shows we truly have the number one defense and Arians is one of the better Offensive Coordinators.

HometownGal
10-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Agreed steelpride. :drink: In the 4th, I saw visions of the OL from the first couple of games though they played well in the first 3 tonight.

Though Nate, Sweed and Hines did a nice job out there, how quickly people forget that the Steelers were without their playmaker - Santo. I think he would have burned the G-men D.

ricksteelers55
10-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I have to be honnest im not a fan of Arians and I wouldnt mind to see him leave at the end of the year,but tonight's playcalling was not bad.Ben was awful throwing bad pass and looking soft all night long.The O-Line wasnt as bad as the 5 sacks indicate.Ben took wayyy too much time to throw the ball.

The good news is ...that was the 1st Offense of the NFL that we limited to 4 FG in our 20 - yds line + turnover on down at our own 1.

so yes our D is for real...now it's time for the O to step up and play some football

St33lersguy
10-26-2008, 08:21 PM
OL is terrible. How did they get to be bad so fast? Since 06 they have been putting Ben to the grass every other play

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I would like to break down the play calling actually....so lets take a look shall we.

1st possession. 1st play. Pass. Incomplete
2nd play, Shot gun, pass to Miller for 22 yards. 1st Down
1st play, Run. 6 yards. 2nd play Run 32 yards Touchdown.

2nd possession. 1st play Penalty On ward. 1st and 15. 1st play short pass to ward, 14 yards. 2nd and 1 Moore Run, 1 yard 1st down. Next play, 1st Down, Pass INTERCEPTION.

ohiosteelerfan20
10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I never think we run enough. But Arians puts in 60 70 hours a week in prep, so he must know more than me.

kmsteelerwr15
10-26-2008, 08:27 PM
actually what im tired of is there same sorry threads. :coffee:

Hey people we arent gonna go 16-0 everyone loses, we dont need to fire someone after every loss! :banging:

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2008, 08:29 PM
2nd Qt.
1st down. Pass to FB Davis 4 yards.
2nd Run no gain for Moore
3rd Shotgun Pass Incomplete.
4th Punt.

1st down Run Left, 0 yards
2nd down Run left 5 yards.
3rd and 5, Shotgun Pass Incomplete.

Next drive 1st down. SACK.
2nd and 16. Shotgun pass to Miller 1st down.
Run on 1st, for 9 yards. 2nd 1, Run, 10 yard gain. Ball at the Giants 44. Shotgun formation on 1st down. Pass to ward 6 yards. 2nd and 4 (time 1:53) short pass to moore for 2 yards. 3rd and 2. Shotgun formation...SACK.

Punt. Halftime.

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2008, 08:35 PM
3rd qt.

1st down, run 2 yards.
2nd down pass to Miller 1st down
1st down, run -1 yard.
2nd 11, Shotgun Incomplete pass.
3rd 11, Shotgun SACK.
Punt.

1st and 10. own 35. Playaction Pass 65 yard TD Pass.

The 8:52 Drive.
1st and 10. Run 2 yards
2nd short pass 12 yards to Sweed.
1st down, Run 1 yard
2nd Shotgun pass to Ward for 10 yards.
1st down Run 5 yards
2nd down run 4 yards
3rd and 1 Run 7 yards. Penalty on Ward.
3rd and 6 Shotgun, Pass to Sweed 10 yards.
Penalty on Kemoeatu, 15 yards. Ball put back at our 47.
1st and 10. Pass 53 yard TD Pass But wait...Penalty, Holding ball on our 37.
1st and 20. Pass Incomplete
2nd and 20 Shotgun, Scramble 3 yards
3rd and 17 Shotgun, Pass Incomplete.
Punt.

SteelersHoss
10-26-2008, 08:37 PM
let me ask everyone, on a fourth down play, should you not have more than 2 wideouts on your play. Bullshit. Two freaking wideouts on 4 and 4.

jjpro11
10-26-2008, 08:37 PM
we were getting rid of the ball fast against the blitzes early in the game.. but after a while we reverted back to our old ways of 7 step drops going for 10-20 yard passes against 6 and 7 man pressures.

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Next drive. 1st down, run 5 yards
2nd and 5, run 5 yards 1st down
Run 4 yards.
2nd and 6 run, -2 yards.
3rd and 8, Shotgun, Penalty.
3rd and 13, Shotgun pass 8 yards
4th down, Shotgun pass, INTERCEPTION.

Game at 14-12. Ball on our own 30.
1st down Incomplete Pass
2nd down Moore run, -4 yards.
3rd down Shotgun SACK
4th, Safety Snap.

21-14 3:07 in the game
ball at the Steeler 31 with 3 timeouts left.
1st down, Incomplete
2nd down, Incomplete
3rd down 10, Shotgun pass 6 yards
4th and 4. Shotgun Pass Incomplete.

last drive, ball on our 10.
1st down, SG Pass incomplete
2nd down, SG Pass incomplete
3rd down, SG, SACK
4th, Prayer Ball INTERCEPTION.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-26-2008, 08:41 PM

Players need to execute better no doubt.....

But if Ben is the one calling all of the plays then there is no need for BA to be on the side line with his Giant Menu Size Play Sheet......My understanding is Ben calls the plays when they run the no huddle....But I'm sure BA has more of a say in the play calling when the Steelers are not running the no huddle.....Ben was terrible today and deserves part of the blame and along with the OL.....But BA doesn't show me anything that he is one of the great offensive minds out there as an OC either.....I think we could do better....

The only players that showed up on offense today were Moore, Miller and Washington...I guess you can throw Sweed in there to.....But overall it was lack luster day for the Steelers offense and BA has to be factored in that equation as well....

At the end of the day its not the end of the world...I can only hope the Steelers offense rebounds next Monday night against the Skins....Its just frustrating seeing this game slip away when the defense controlled the entire game for the most part.....Great effort on their part....

Edman
10-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm growing pretty tired of Arians' playcalling too. We've all seen how awesome this offense can be. But it's been consistently blueballed by Arians and the O-Line.

The playcalling is too greedy. Always looking for the big play instead of doing dink and dunk and doing the little stuff.

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2008, 08:44 PM
The play calling is what it is. I've typed it all out for everyone to look at and debate.

MillerMania83
10-26-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm not a Bruce Arians fan, just think there are too many times when things get tough and it seems we are lost out there on O....Although as it was mentioned, the players need to execute, and they didn't comes close to that today IMO...Early in the game when the pressure was on, we did a nice job with 3 step drops and quick passes, WHERE DID THAT GO....Plus, Moore had a good game going, WHERE DID HE GO in the 2nd half....I'm a BIG TIEM Ben fan, but it's such a fine line with him, he's needs to get rid of the ball quicker and that's been said to death....But we all love when hold it that little extra bit and he makes an INCREDIBLE play with guys pulling and tuggin him to the ground, but it seems the bad is outweighing those INCREDIBLE plays a little too much lately....Also, if I'm calling the plays, the ball gets into Heath Millers hands at LEAST 10 times a game, HE'S AN ANIMAL, and IMO underused, although they need him to help keep Ben off his back, understandable.

Is it me, or does anyone else out there miss the days of Randle El....I mean is there even a "trick/gadget play" in the play book anymore....I know you can live off "trick" plays, but it would be nice to see one once in awhile, especially against these teams with GREAT D's and when our O is boggin down....A "trick" play can turn a game around (like the Super Bowl, lol) and get the mo back on your side, I used to love the Randle El, Cowher, Mularky days, cuz they just might try anything....They drafted Dennis Dixon, the kid is an AWESOME athlete, I know he's a rookie, but maybe it's time to get this INCREDIBLE athlete on the field, even if he's a decoy once in awhile, maybe it's time to try something with this kid, he CAN THROW THE ROCK, and he can run it well also, just get him on film to make the opposition at least think about the "possibilities", it's just my 2 censt worth, but after watching us bog down again, maybe it's time to try a little somethin' different once in awhile.

steelmatic1906
10-26-2008, 09:03 PM
I agree. Arians suck! He thinks he's mike martz with all these double move deep routes when we dont have the pass protection to have that type of offense. We are a running team. Then we set up the pass. Please tell me why we dont use Heath Miller like the Ravens use to use Todd Heap!! He can be that caliber of player but Arians cant see it. He just keeps him into block.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I agree. Arians suck! He thinks he's mike martz with all these double move deep routes when we dont have the pass protection to have that type of offense. We are a running team. Then we set up the pass. Please tell me why we dont use Heath Miller like the Ravens use to use Todd Heap!! He can be that caliber of player but Arians cant see it. He just keeps him into block.

The Steelers lacks of pass protection that leads to Ben being rattled is why Heath is asked to help in pass protection at times....But your right about Heath being use more when he is running routes....I'll never understand why Ben doesn't look Heaths way more....He always makes plays when called upon....Ben does have to stroke Mr. Wards ego though....He has to make sure Hines gets enough looks....Ok I'm joking but I don't know the true reason why Miller doesn't get more balls thrown his way...I guess Ben is the only one that can answer that.....

MillerMania83
10-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Like I said, Miller is an ANIMAL out there....He runs over anyone whose in his way, and he almost ALWAYS catches what is thrown his way, the guy has AWESOME hands....IMO, Miller COULD BE the best TE in the game, and IMO, HE IS, but the rest of the league/fans will never know it if Ben doesn't throw him the ball as much as he should, and if the O line never gets any better, because they do use Miller, out of neccessity, to help try and keep Ben from getting sacked 10 times a game.

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2008, 10:15 PM
1st down is a problem

Rushing Plays on 1st.
6yards
0yards
9yards
2yards
-1yard
2yards
1yard
5yards
5yards

pass plays on 1st down
INC
14yards
INT
4yards
SACK
6yards
TD
PENALTY
INC
INC
INC
INC

If you don't do good on 1st down, You will not do good on 3rd down.

1-10 on third down...tells me, we SUCKED on 1st down.

Steeldude
10-26-2008, 10:33 PM
i won't put the blame all on arians, but some of the plays he chose were rather questionable. i don't think he utilizes the entire field very well. late in the game the entire middle of the field was open, but the WRs all went to the same areas on the outside. or at least that's what it seemed like. why did the steelers abandon the short routes? i would have thrown to miller at least 12 times.

BR deserves a little blame too. he doesn't do a good job of seeing the field. the O-line was giving himi ample time on many plays, but he just stood there.

one more thing, is colon a tackle? :smile:

oh well, you can't win them all. the steelers played poorly on offense and the defense played very well. until next time...

VegasStlrFan
10-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Not a fan of BA's play calling

or

The O-line's blocking

or

Ben's decision / release time!

Tomlin needs to take a hard look at the O!

XxKnightxX
10-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Im tired of it. I feel like hes selecting these damn plays from a damn madden game. No patience and he hits the panic button even with the lead. what happened to the running game may i ask?

steelwall
10-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Arians has made some good decisions, and some very questionable ones (as with every OC) but I want to know why Miller is not a bigger part of our offence (especially without Parker, and the running game) also "NO HUDDLE" it works for us, run it all F'n game if it means a win.....

ricksteelers55
10-27-2008, 01:04 AM
The Steelers lacks of pass protection that leads to Ben being rattled is why Heath is asked to help in pass protection at times....But your right about Heath being use more when he is running routes....I'll never understand why Ben doesn't look Heaths way more....He always makes plays when called upon....Ben does have to stroke Mr. Wards ego though....He has to make sure Hines gets enough looks....Ok I'm joking but I don't know the true reason why Miller doesn't get more balls thrown his way...I guess Ben is the only one that can answer that.....

Then if you lack protection why do you let go your best blocking animal Dan Kreider ?

that is one thing that I still havent accept

Preacher
10-27-2008, 01:47 AM
Then if you lack protection why do you let go your best blocking animal Dan Kreider ?

that is one thing that I still havent accept

Because Kreider was taking up room on the roster for a style of football that could never get us over the hump .

5 AFC CG games lost, because we didn't have the ability to move the ball quickly.

Preacher
10-27-2008, 01:48 AM
Im tired of it. I feel like hes selecting these damn plays from a damn madden game. No patience and he hits the panic button even with the lead. what happened to the running game may i ask?

:banging:

Amazing how every game we lose... everyone asks what happened to the run game. then, the next game we lose, everyone asks what happened to the pass game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2008, 11:14 AM
i won't put the blame all on arians, but some of the plays he chose were rather questionable. i don't think he utilizes the entire field very well. late in the game the entire middle of the field was open, but the WRs all went to the same areas on the outside. or at least that's what it seemed like. why did the steelers abandon the short routes? i would have thrown to miller at least 12 times.

BR deserves a little blame too. he doesn't do a good job of seeing the field. the O-line was giving himi ample time on many plays, but he just stood there.

oh well, you can't win them all. the steelers played poorly on offense and the defense played very well. until next time...

Dude....I completely agree with you.

I wont pin it all on Arians, but I too saw him running that bunch formation to the sidelines, while the middle of the field was ignored :noidea: In the past I have not been a fan of his ignoring the run game on 3rd and short, but that is another matter.

I also thought Ben had time, but held onto the ball and am not sure if that was a coverage, route or lack of Holmes issue.

I have been in the camp of "let's see what Colon can do", but his short stubby arms allow the DE's to get hands on him and make a move. On the other side Starks uses his long arms and locks guys out, but moves around with the agility of a guy in a "Sumo Suit".

I dont like Arians style of offense, but cant pin this loss on him.

X-Terminator
10-27-2008, 11:36 AM

For once, we agree. How about that? :wink02:

One thing they need to do is get rid of the "banana bunch" formation. It's become too predictable and easy for the opposing D to read - I have never been a fan of having 3 WRs on the same side. It's supposed to give Ben options, but it seems to me that whenever they use that formation, that is when Ben is most indecisive and holds on to the ball longer than he should because those options are being taken away. They also need to use the 2 and 3 TE sets more often in order to take advantage of Miller's receiving ability. He has been completely underutilized ever since he was drafted. But how long have they promised to use Miller more, and we still aren't seeing it happen often enough.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2008, 11:44 AM
One thing they need to do is get rid of the "banana bunch" formation. .

I have no problem with that formation, just dont ignore the entire middle of the field. Sweed converted an important 3rd down from that formation, but on the final drive of the game they lined up similar and all went to the outside.

HometownGal
10-27-2008, 11:50 AM
:banging:

Amazing how every game we lose... everyone asks what happened to the run game. then, the next game we lose, everyone asks what happened to the pass game.

I've often wondered the same, Father. :doh: Amazing how very few people question Arians play calling when we win a game, eh?

I have little problem with Arians play calling as I've stated many times. While he makes a fubar now and then, I believe that execution plays a huge role in whether a play makes the grade or not. The lack of execution, particularly in the 4th Q, by both the OL and Ben was very evident. I have every faith, though, that they will get it together this week in practice and come out firing against the Skins. We've got a tough road to hoe in the next couple of games against the Skins and Colts and we've got to be firing on all cylinders (as best we can with all of the injuries).

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Hey, I know we won and nobody complains when we win......but what was that 3rd down call where Ben threw a short out to Moore in the right flat and London Fletcher was on him instantly?

I'm not a guy that blames Arians for everything, but 3rd down and something like 4 yards, Ben fakes a end-around handoff to Nate from the shotgun, then dumps the ball to Moore for no gain???

Why waste time with a redundant fake to a WR in the face of an almost certain blitz?? Nobody in America thought he was gonna hand if off.....so all it did was prevent Ben from looking downfield. I had issue with that and some other calls, but mostly it was poor execution in the first half that caused the problems.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I say we get a new OC

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2008, 06:48 PM
When the team is 6-2?? very doubtful. I see Arians here for at least another few more seasons.

KeiselPower99
11-04-2008, 06:53 PM
If we fire him who would we replace him with. If the installed more 3 step drops we wouldnt have this problem

Preacher
11-04-2008, 06:55 PM
I've often wondered the same, Father. :doh: Amazing how very few people question Arians play calling when we win a game, eh?

I have little problem with Arians play calling as I've stated many times. While he makes a fubar now and then, I believe that execution plays a huge role in whether a play makes the grade or not. The lack of execution, particularly in the 4th Q, by both the OL and Ben was very evident. I have every faith, though, that they will get it together this week in practice and come out firing against the Skins. We've got a tough road to hoe in the next couple of games against the Skins and Colts and we've got to be firing on all cylinders (as best we can with all of the injuries).

Its funny,

there were a number of times last night when I actually found myself questioning Arians playcalling.

Of course, after time to think about it, a number of other questions arise. Is it arians, or Ben changing plays at the LOS because he sees something, and trusts his O line more than he should? Is it that our players are telegraphing plays (I saw Nate telegraph that receiver handoff a mile away, he lined up completely askew and I KNEW he was coming around. How much of it is Ben just being injured?

I still am questioning Arians today, but not as much as last night.

I really would like some answers to why I should/should not be on the arians bandwagon beyond "he sucks" "No he doesn'T" kind. Engage me.. please!

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Preach, I will try to give you some food for thought.

Arians has coached Peyton Manning-Colts, Kelly Holcombe-Browns to playoff seasons and Ben Roethilisberger to a career season last year. I would hardly say that resume deserves a "he sucks". Would you agree?

I would say that those teams all primarily employed a 1 RB set and used a lot more of 2 and 3 TE's or 3 and 4WR's. They also involved more elaborate WR routes, bunch formations and misdirection than normal.

Those teams also lost playoff games because of the inability to effectively run the football in playoff games. Remember the great Steeler wildcard comeback of 2003?? The Browns had a big lead, but couldnt run the ball to seal the win.

Preacher
11-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Preach, I will try to give you some food for thought.

Arians has coached Peyton Manning-Colts, Kelly Holcombe-Browns to playoff seasons and Ben Roethilisberger to a career season last year. I would hardly say that resume deserves a "he sucks". Would you agree?

I would say that those teams all primarily employed a 1 RB set and used a lot more of 2 and 3 TE's or 3 and 4WR's. They also involved more elaborate WR routes, bunch formations and misdirection than normal.

Those teams also lost playoff games because of the inability to effectively run the football in playoff games. Remember the great Steeler wildcard comeback of 2003?? The Browns had a big lead, but couldnt run the ball to seal the win.

But that argument is why you should or should not higher the guy, not whether he is the primary reason our offense is currently struggling. But I do like the discussion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2008, 10:49 PM
But that argument is why you should or should not higher the guy, not whether he is the primary reason our offense is currently struggling. But I do like the discussion.

Yes, but Arians is hired and I guess my thought is that he is not a bad OC, but rather that his offense now looks like they look to throw on 3rd and 1 instead of line up and run the ball down their throat. I think we are destined to have a good offense, but not succeed in the playoffs with Arians system.

With Cleveland I saw Arians offense run quick routes and the QB released it quick to guys like Dennis Northcutt, Jameel White, Eric Heiden, Mark Campbell.....but took their shots deep with Kevin Johnson and Quincy Morgan.

I dont see the quick routes and releases here in the burgh, but I dont know if that is a function of Arians changing his offense up, or the QB and WR's not executing those quicker patterns and throws.

The offense is struggling, because teams know we arent handling the blitz. I blame the entire Offense for not handling it, and it has to start with Arians. I saw the Colts blitz Matt Cassell Sunday night (YES Matt Cassell) and one play he throws a quick slant to Moss for 8 yards, the next time he throws a WR screen to Wes Welker for 10 yards. If Cassell and the Pats can exploit the blitz.....why cant Ben and the Steelers?? The Patriots O line is not full of great linemen, but their offensive scheme will exploit blitzes, so they dont get the house sent to them all the time.

Steelman16
11-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Yes, but Arians is hired and I guess my thought is that he is not a bad OC, but rather that his offense now looks like they look to throw on 3rd and 1 instead of line up and run the ball down their throat. I think we are destined to have a good offense, but not succeed in the playoffs with Arians system.

With Cleveland I saw Arians offense run quick routes and the QB released it quick to guys like Dennis Northcutt, Jameel White, Eric Heiden, Mark Campbell.....but took their shots deep with Kevin Johnson and Quincy Morgan.

I dont see the quick routes and releases here in the burgh, but I dont know if that is a function of Arians changing his offense up, or the QB and WR's not executing those quicker patterns and throws.

The offense is struggling, because teams know we arent handling the blitz. I blame the entire Offense for not handling it, and it has to start with Arians. I saw the Colts blitz Matt Cassell Sunday night (YES Matt Cassell) and one play he throws a quick slant to Moss for 8 yards, the next time he throws a WR screen to Wes Welker for 10 yards. If Cassell and the Pats can exploit the blitz.....why cant Ben and the Steelers?? The Patriots O line is not full of great linemen, but their offensive scheme will exploit blitzes, so they dont get the house sent to them all the time.

I watched that game and immediately noticed what they did to counter the blitz. After all of our problems with it, I'm starting to notice it more in other games; seeing what they do/etc. I see most teams (not all...including ours sometimes) eventually find a way to counter the blitz, or at least nullify it to some extent, but in our case I always scratch my head.

Against Philly, I felt like Arians didn't know how to call a gameplan audible. He was stuck in 1st gear and wouldn't shift up. And so, I agree with you. It's gotta start with Arians. He has the personnel that he has, and he should be able to make something work with them.

We have a possession reciever in Ward. He can run a quick slant. We've got Holmes who (as we saw last night and against Cinci last year) is more than capable with quick passes. Nate Washington is our deep threat. Heath Miller can work the middle very well - for being a blocker most times and a big guy, he can really catch. Even Spaeth is a pretty decent reciever for a TE.

That's just our recieving corps. I somehow don't believe we can't make fuller use of them without a better O-line. I realize that a better O-line would help tremendously, but is there not anything Arians can do to compensate? He seems like a 'stuck-in-a-rut' guy, or at least not overly creative to me.

The offense has been disappointing because if they had their crap together, we'd be undefeated along with the Titans right now. Our D is playing out of this world. My only hope is that somehow late in the season (if Ben is still alive by that time. lol) we'll gel on the O and make a hot playoff run.

I suppose my question is, does it all have to do with a mediocre offensive line?

MACH1
11-04-2008, 11:58 PM
It seems to me that the plays either take to long to develop or for whatever reason Ben doesn't check down. Your right that it starts with Arians play calling but it ends with Bens decision making.
There were a few times that Moore was WIDE open and Ben wouldn't toss it to him.

stlrtruck
11-05-2008, 08:56 AM
I think Arians would do better in the box above. Some days I think he doesn't see the entire field or get a good feel for what the defense is doing out there.

But along with that, if Ben wants to change the play at the LOS, then he needs to be in the film room every day (even early morning game day) to get a better understanding of the defense he is facing that day.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2008, 10:07 AM
I suppose my question is, does it all have to do with a mediocre offensive line?

I think it always will help to invest in a solid offensive line. But it doesnt start and stop there. Most forget that that mediocre O line would have handed Parker the rushing title if he didnt get hurt last season. Everybody harps on the sacks.

The question I have is if its all Zeirline and the lousy talent resulting in sacks.......Why did the 2006 Steelers give up 49 sacks with Russ Grimm coaching Smith, Faneca, Hartings, Simmons and Starks???

Tough to blame those on Arians, Zeirline, Mahan or anybody on the current O line.

Steelman16
11-05-2008, 03:43 PM
I think it always will help to invest in a solid offensive line. But it doesnt start and stop there. Most forget that that mediocre O line would have handed Parker the rushing title if he didnt get hurt last season. Everybody harps on the sacks.

The question I have is if its all Zeirline and the lousy talent resulting in sacks.......Why did the 2006 Steelers give up 49 sacks with Russ Grimm coaching Smith, Faneca, Hartings, Simmons and Starks???

Tough to blame those on Arians, Zeirline, Mahan or anybody on the current O line.

It must've been because of Starks. :chuckle:

I agree with your answer and your question, which is what I was thinking, but it leaves me with further questions....

Like, is it because we're in "transition" mode from a running attack to a passing attack? Or is that just the media side of it that wants to report that as a problem...

Is Ben gunshy? I don't question his toughness (I'm no Ben hater) but it's just an honest question. He's taken a lot of abuse over the past years, on and off the field. Could it possibly be that he's not reading fast enough, or that he's not as good at calling protections as we think?

I feel like we're always sitting on one side of the speedbump. On occasion, we scamper to the top and show what we could be on offense, but then we slide back down. We never go over.

Or, it could be as Stlrtruck said...maybe Arians doesn't see the field correctly.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Steelman, I personally think Ben still instinctively likes to look for the long ball. Its a risk - reward thing that some recognize, but the majority of Steeler fans just see big sack numbers for the past 4 or 5 seasons and immediately point to the O line.

Have to really remember that Ben played WR in highschool, 3 years of QB at Miami and now 4 seasons in the NFL. Most QB's were blue chippers that had 8 years at least before they got drafted. I think Ben is still in a learning phase of his career. Which is cool !

Steelman16
11-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Steelman, I personally think Ben still instinctively likes to look for the long ball. Its a risk - reward thing that some recognize, but the majority of Steeler fans just see big sack numbers for the past 4 or 5 seasons and immediately point to the O line.

Have to really remember that Ben played WR in highschool, 3 years of QB at Miami and now 4 seasons in the NFL. Most QB's were blue chippers that had 8 years at least before they got drafted. I think Ben is still in a learning phase of his career. Which is cool !

I'm with you in that the sky is still the limit for Ben. He's good, but he can get a lot better.

Let's say Ben is still in the learning phase (took Eli Manning 4-5 years to figure it all out, and we all know his pedigree) then maybe it could be that Arians is only used to a more fully-developed quarterback with a skillset like that of Peyton Manning?

Dunno, maybe I'm beating a dead horse. I'd just like to see some consistent offense that can help out our awesome D.

DACEB
11-06-2008, 06:50 AM
I've been slamming Arians for some time. But after watching Lefty in the 2nd half in Wash., I've come to think maybe it's execution.

We're not going to get the defenders out of the box unless you execute. Lefty completed the first pass long to Nate. How many more of those long passes get by before the defense stops blitzing the safety all together. Or how about hitting the checkdown? Did everyone notice how there wasn't a player around MeMo on the 3rd and short dumpoff that went for big yardage? It's probably because the defense doesn't cover the RB out of the backfield. Start hitting the checkoff and you'll see the LBs staying home more often. The point I'm trying to make is maybe if Ben and the offense execute the way they did with Lefty the defense will back off some.

But Arians still leaves alot to be desired.

Steelers & I
11-06-2008, 09:29 AM
I've been slamming Arians for some time. But after watching Lefty in the 2nd half in Wash., I've come to think maybe it's execution.

We're not going to get the defenders out of the box unless you execute. Lefty completed the first pass long to Nate. How many more of those long passes get by before the defense stops blitzing the safety all together. Or how about hitting the checkdown? Did everyone notice how there wasn't a player around MeMo on the 3rd and short dumpoff that went for big yardage? It's probably because the defense doesn't cover the RB out of the backfield. Start hitting the checkoff and you'll see the LBs staying home more often. The point I'm trying to make is maybe if Ben and the offense execute the way they did with Lefty the defense will back off some.

But Arians still leaves alot to be desired.

I liked the poise of Leftwich in the pocket. He didn't scramble into the pressure as Roethlisberger has done on many occasions this season. Leftwich's movements in the pocket to avoid the pressure were similar to those of Dan Marino, slight movement towards the middle of the line of scrimmage where a QB will typically find a second or two of extended protection. It seems as though Roethlisberger always elects to scramble towards the tackles where he often times meets a defender who has broken containment.

X-Terminator
11-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Well at this point I'm about done defending him, and I'm all for showing him the door at the end of the season. He has made some absolutely brutal play calls in the past few games, and today was no exception. Passes on 3rd and 2. No play fake and pass/rollout on 3rd and goal at the 1 when everyone on the planet is looking for a run. WR screens in situations that call for pounding the football. Long-developing plays that do not work when your OL is sub-standard. No moving pocket. Not utilizing the TE enough in the passing game, for a guy who prided himself on throwing to the TE quite a bit. They have too many weapons on offense to continually struggle the way they do.

ricksteelers55
11-09-2008, 07:30 PM
No freakin reason to call a pass play with less than 2 min to play inside our 20 in the 2nd QTR.

and where was Gary Russell on the running game ?

I love Mewelde that guy is a playmaker,but what's the point of using only 1 guy during the whole game.

Lock Down
11-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I didn't understand the call with less then 2 mins right before the half.

Ben took the risk, but am i mistaken had the Colts not used 2 of their time outs? With a run we could of forced them to use their third (lets assume we don't convert) or atleast burn off a chunk of time, punt the ball & give our D a chance, i dare say they might not have scored a point had it played out that way.

Easy to say now though, but oh so frustrating to virtually hand them 14 points. Give the D a chance.

ricksteelers55
11-09-2008, 07:41 PM
I didn't understand the call with less then 2 mins right before the half.

Ben took the risk, but am i mistaken had the Colts not used 2 of their time outs? With a run we could of forced them to use their third (lets assume we don't convert) or atleast burn off a chunk of time, punt the ball & give our D a chance, i dare say they might not have scored a point had it played out that way.

Easy to say now though, but oh so frustrating to virtually hand them 14 points. Give the D a chance.

Nope you're right they used 2 of their 3 Timeouts that's why I didnt understand the call.

Anyway let's move on and hope we bounce back next week against the Chargers.

Edman
11-09-2008, 07:49 PM
A pass play on 3rd and 2. Picked. Getting cute on offense when the game is on the line. That WR screen was equal to that 3rd and 6 call last year against Jacksonville. Bunch formations that don't work, refusal to use the no-huddle, calling 5 step drops when your O-Line sucks ass.

Yeah, I'm tired of Arians' playcalling.

Big D
11-09-2008, 08:00 PM
arians likes to run a tecmo bowl offense. This hire was a joke from day one. Look at the job he did when he was the offensive coordinator in cleveland. Bens sacks would be cut in half if he wasnt in arians system

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2008, 08:18 PM
No freakin reason to call a pass play with less than 2 min to play inside our 20 in the 2nd QTR.

and where was Gary Russell on the running game ?

I love Mewelde that guy is a playmaker,but what's the point of using only 1 guy during the whole game.

Gotta have a mixed bag every once in awhile.

X-Terminator
11-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Here's another one - putting Ben under center in the 2 minute offense and the game on the line? That should have been shotgun-no huddle the entire time, and you put Ben in a situation where he can be more easily sacked? What the hell??

Florida_Steelers_Fan
11-09-2008, 08:34 PM
i put this entire loss against the colts on arians...

- NO reason to run a pass play before ending the first half...it's highly doubtful that even if they did get that first down that they would have tried to score. so that pass play did nothing except take a 10 pt. lead at half-time and cut it down to 3.

- steelers get the ball back with less than 5 minutes to play and they run THREE straight pass plays, the last of which gets picked off.

sheer stupidity...ben has to take the onus on his shoulders for making the throws, but those two series made the difference in this game. no reason for today's loss...very disappointing.