PDA

View Full Version : Offense: Goat of the game.

Edman
10-26-2008, 07:02 PM
I'd like to see some of you try to argue with me.

The Steelers Defense is championship caliber. We would've easily been 7-0 right now if it wasn't for two putrid performances by the Offense.

If your Defense gives up field goals most of the game, you should be able to win most games. Instead we didn't. The D held the G-Men in check most of the game.

Ben was horrible today. The O-Line was miserable, and the playcalling was atrocious. We were doing so well in the no-huddle. Why did we go away from it? Why was Heath Miller going ignored? Willie Colon is a worthless POS and singlehandedly killed opportunities for the Steelers. The called back TD was a turning point in the game. All thanks to the "tough guy" from the Bronx. Ben would've been 2-2 for the game. Instead he's 1-4 with one of the worst performances as a Steeler in the books.

The Steelers are 5-2 headed into a road game against a tough Washington team on Monday Night. At least BSPN will jump off the wagon, now.

Steeler in Carolina
10-26-2008, 07:05 PM
I wonder how much Ben's injury had to do with his performance.

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2008, 07:06 PM
I've said all season, it looks like the magic number is 21 for us, our defense doesn't give up more than 20 points. Still hasn't, 2 of those points were a safety. So technically, our D gave up 19 points. If we'd have scored 21, we would have won. The D did its job, The O crapped the bed again.

It seems like we got away from the running game too early. Moore was having a very good game and was pushing the ball for 3 or 4 yards a carry and we just stopped using him...I get it that they started putting 8 men in the box, but in order for Play Action to work...you have to have ACTION first which is a running game.

I've defended the play calling all year...but I'm starting to get tired of leaving the running game.

Fire Haley
10-26-2008, 07:08 PM
We were doomed from the start. I was surprised our defense managed to keep it as close as they did
Losing Clark and Ike on the last drive hurt.

Lord Tyrone blows another one.

...and yes - Ben tried to do too much.

Edman
10-26-2008, 07:12 PM
I've said all season, it looks like the magic number is 21 for us, our defense doesn't give up more than 20 points. Still hasn't, 2 of those points were a safety. So technically, our D gave up 19 points. If we'd have scored 21, we would have won. The D did its job, The O crapped the bed again.

It seems like we got away from the running game too early. Moore was having a very good game and was pushing the ball for 3 or 4 yards a carry and we just stopped using him...I get it that they started putting 8 men in the box, but in order for Play Action to work...you have to have ACTION first which is a running game.

I've defended the play calling all year...but I'm starting to get tired of leaving the running game.

I'm personally tired of ignoring the No huddle when Ben himself advocated it. The Steelers consistently move the ball with the no huddle. Another sickening part in the offense is the constant neglection of Heath Miller. Dude is nothing but a playmaker.

The Offense has cost the Steelers two wins now. I'm not saying it should be dominant every week. But when this offense is bad, it's VERY bad. So bad that it's unable to recover.

X-Terminator
10-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Can't really argue against it.

steelpride12
10-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Ok so we talk about Washington stepping up and giving us great Depth at WR.
Ward and Holmes speak for themselves, Miller one of the best around, and a Franchise QB, who already has a ring.
ITS THE OL!

VTsteel
10-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Well, the offense showed glimpses of greatness . . . However, come the 4th quarter we collapsed - and why? Because Mathias Kiwinuka was absolutely blowing up Max Starks - $7million insurance policy indeed! He looked winded and couldn't match Kiwinukas speed. Terrible!

The defense looked outstanding today though.

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Kemoeatu: Stupid Personal Foul killed a ton of momentum

Colon: Is there ever a game that he doesn't have a holding or false start?

Hines: Killed us when we got a first down and he was off the line of scrimmage

Ben: Holds on to the ball so long

Tyrone Carter: Screwed up on the pass to Amani Toomer

These things are just unnaceptable.

Michael Keller
10-26-2008, 07:22 PM
I have been posting criticism of Arian all season (in fact last season also) and man did I get criticized by other members on this forum. I knew once the JV season was over that more and more critics would line up.

It is real simple folks Bruce Arian is not a capable offensive coordinator. Now i am going to go duck under my desk as I will hear all about the injuries and that we are 5 and 2 and we lost to the super bowl champs etc etc etc .

Why is that when we have a strong athletic QB we can not roll him out several times.

I could go on and on but you know what I noticed after the game . There were alot of Steeler players with smiles on their faces.

If they can smile so can all of us.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-26-2008, 07:25 PM
I don't think anyone can argue against you.

The offensive line is pitiful. The play calling was bad. The penalties killed us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Lots of blame to go around.

The O line had lapses, but even when they do give Ben some time he is hanging onto it for too long. Is it good coverage by the Giants D, poor routes being run or poor playcalling......I dont know.

I will say that Starks played decently, but his lack of lateral quickness and poor technique are evident. So too with Colon......he plays well, but then gets burned by a guy like Tuck because of his lack of size and short arms for a RT.

The one thing I hated seeing was the last Sack that Ben took. He had time, but no WR was running a pattern near the middle of the field which was wide open. It was bunch formation to the outside and it sucked as a call.

stillers4me
10-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Penalties! Willie Colon cost us 7 freakin' points.

I do give a big "atta boy" to Mitch Berger for kicking in obvious pain.

Rhee Rhee
10-26-2008, 07:41 PM
we should've forced fed the ball to heath who had a decent game...

Havik
10-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Willie Colon needs to be benched. Seriously, he sucks. Colon has done nothing but be mediocre since he got the starting job, and yet the coaches seem to think he's playing well. I keep hearing that Colon is "improving" or that he is a "developing player". He has been starting for almost 2 years and is still awful. I think improving the o-line starts with getting rid of Colon.

steelpride12
10-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Colon has just murdered this line to the extent game in and game out. Aiken was saying how he is an excellent player for blocking Tuck, but he still have up sacks and cause a game losing penalty!
I try to cope and accept him, but two season is long enough for me he needs to be gone and i know no other team will pick him up.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Penalties! Willie Colon cost us 7 freakin' points.

I do give a big "atta boy" to Mitch Berger for kicking in obvious pain.

Ok yes the TD was brought back due to Colon's hold.......But I'm not sure Ben gets that pass off if Colon doesn't hold....I'm not sticking up for Colon since I think he is an abortion of an NFL OT.......I'm just pointing out that he did prevent Ben from being killed by holding since he can't pass protect to save his life......:sofunny:

steelwall
10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
We keep this same defence, and upgrade our o-line we would be awesome. Everyone question the o-line before the season, I think the questions are being answered.

And hell yes, if the no huddle works, why not use the hell out of it? And I agree, get miller the ball!!!!!!

Glace
10-26-2008, 09:26 PM
I can't understand why Miller isn't used more. He always seems to be open. He's big and athletic enough to go up and get the ball. He can take a hit. He can drag defenders with him.

This guy could set records.

So what's going on? Are we using him too much for extra protection? Is he not involved in the playcalling? Is Ben just not looking for him or seeing him?

Makaveli
10-26-2008, 09:28 PM
NO surprises for me in regards to this game. As i have said for years now,...the Bigger the game against a quality opponent,.....the worse Big "pick" Oafishburger plays.

The "interception train" with this fool is never late when it counts. And as always,..all of the hillbilly's on his nuts will blame it upon the o-line, or Arians.

Glace
10-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Ben just needs to go back to being Ben. Scramble more (which is different than running for your life)....get outside the pocket to buy some extra time.

He just looks so skittish and scared in there sometimes....rightfully so after the beating he has taken the last 2 years.

tony hipchest
10-26-2008, 09:33 PM
santonio holmes/willie colon

call it a toss up.

fansince'76
10-26-2008, 09:33 PM
NO surprises for me in regards to this game. As i have said for years now,...the Bigger the game against a quality opponent,.....the worse Big "pick" Oafishburger plays.

The "interception train" with this fool is never late when it counts. And as always,..all of the hillbilly's on his nuts will blame it upon the o-line, or Arians.

And as usual, the dopes who never say jack shit about him when we're winning are never at a loss for musings befitting a spoiled 5-year-old ("Big 'pick' Oafishburger?" Please.) that didn't get what they wanted for Xmas, and claim he's the worst QB to ever suit up. It never ends. :coffee:

HometownGal
10-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Ben just needs to go back to being Ben. Scramble more (which is different than running for your life)....get outside the pocket to buy some extra time.

He just looks so skittish and scared in there sometimes....rightfully so after the beating he has taken the last 2 years.

Couldn't agree more here. I'd be seeing shadows all around me too and feeling skittish if I was beaten down as Ben has been the last couple of seasons. I don't know what happened to the OL in the last quarter, as I thought they looked fairly good during the first 3 quarters, but they're going to get Ben killed out there if they don't get their act together.

steelreserve
10-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Mostly it just seemed like the passing game sucked. Once again, we were running the ball pretty consistently when we needed to, but we didn't run a lot. It was pretty obvious that our receiving corps missed Holmes. He usually catches a ton of those 10-15 yard balls that keep drives going. Instead, it was big-play-or-nothing today.

iloveben7
10-26-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm tired of all this stuff about benching Ben and all that crap. Yeah he holds on to the ball too long, but it's not all his fault. He was knocked down 14 times, how's that his fault? The playcalling today was horrible, the penalties killed us, especially when we had that TD.

BozMan
10-26-2008, 11:16 PM
I agree that in the long run guys like Willie Colon have to go. But who do we have right now to replace him? Marvel Smith's injury does not help the situation.

(Is this a bad time to question the wisdom of taking a RB and WR in the first two rounds of the draft?)

On the bright side, it seems like Stapleton is an improvement over Simmons.

EDIT: My guess is that the reason we do not see more passes to Heath Miller is that we need him so often to help with pass protection.

steelwall
10-26-2008, 11:19 PM
And as usual, the dopes who never say jack shit about him when we're winning are never at a loss for musings befitting a spoiled 5-year-old ("Big 'pick' Oafishburger?" Please.) that didn't get what they wanted for Xmas, and claim he's the worst QB to ever suit up. It never ends. :coffee:

Got that right...a super bowl ring, undefeated as a rookie, pro-bowler. But Ben is the problem......hmmmmm... that logic seams flawed.

24seven
10-26-2008, 11:37 PM
So i'm callin it how i saw it today and I've defended him and put it on the OL and maybe the play calling at times but today.. BEN ROETHLISBURGER SUCKED ASS!!!! I've never seen a quarterback so unsure of himself as Ben did today.. pump pump pump pump wince like a school girl and take the sack.. The one time he did tuck it and run he gained like 2 yards and didn't bother even lookin downfield like he normally does.. I'm gettin real tired of his crying to the officials on 3rd down when he fails to complete the pass too.. Almost everytime he throws his hands up in the air and acts like there should of been some reason his pass was so shitty and there was no way the receiver could reach it.. His aim was so perfect on the touchdown that was called back.. but that was one of the few passes that he actually led the receiver and was kept in stride. They threw the quick slant so many times they were keying on it eventually but passes like that is how he's gonna stay alive.. everytime he holds on to the ball longer than 4 seconds he's done.. and his shoestrings must of been tied together cuz he lost all ability of gettin outta the pocket.. No.. Today Ben lost this game cuz he sucked.. plain and simple.. I've watched the game back and he over threw.. underthrew.. didn't throw so many times you can't even blame the receivers in the slightest.. Nor the play calling.. The plays were there.. he just couldn't get it there.. Turn your damn hat around and start actin like a Steeler instead of an overpayed chump!!! More games like this and I can hear the cries for Byron.. and I'll be one of them.. Franchise or not.. That was piss poor and if benchin his ass is what it takes to get him turned aroudn then so be it..

steelwall
10-26-2008, 11:41 PM
So i'm callin it how i saw it today and I've defended him and put it on the OL and maybe the play calling at times but today.. BEN ROETHLISBURGER SUCKED ASS!!!! I've never seen a quarterback so unsure of himself as Ben did today.. pump pump pump pump wince like a school girl and take the sack.. The one time he did tuck it and run he gained like 2 yards and didn't bother even lookin downfield like he normally does.. I'm gettin real tired of his crying to the officials on 3rd down when he fails to complete the pass too.. Almost everytime he throws his hands up in the air and acts like there should of been some reason his pass was so shitty and there was no way the receiver could reach it.. His aim was so perfect on the touchdown that was called back.. but that was one of the few passes that he actually led the receiver and was kept in stride. They threw the quick slant so many times they were keying on it eventually but passes like that is how he's gonna stay alive.. everytime he holds on to the ball longer than 4 seconds he's done.. and his shoestrings must of been tied together cuz he lost all ability of gettin outta the pocket.. No.. Today Ben lost this game cuz he sucked.. plain and simple.. I've watched the game back and he over threw.. underthrew.. didn't throw so many times you can't even blame the receivers in the slightest.. Nor the play calling.. The plays were there.. he just couldn't get it there.. Turn your damn hat around and start actin like a Steeler instead of an overpayed chump!!! More games like this and I can hear the cries for Byron.. and I'll be one of them.. Franchise or not.. That was piss poor and if benchin his ass is what it takes to get him turned aroudn then so be it..

1. Question.... you honestly think Byron is a better QB than Ben? Even if it was all Ben's fault.....how many times has he won games for us?

RoethlisBURGHer
10-26-2008, 11:51 PM
No way would Byron be any better, hell he would probally be worse.

Ben had a bad game. I also think he's lost all faith he had in the offensive line. It looked like he expected the Giants' defensive players to blast through the offensive line.

What really killed us today was penalties. A penalty killed a TD that would have ended up sending this game into overtime. A penalty after a first down gave us the ball right where we just were, killing momentum.

Then the injuries didn't help. If Ike Taylor isn't hurt, then Toomer is covered on the long pass that set up the game winning TD.

This was a bad game offensivly as a whole. The only player that played well was Moore. This loss can be put on the entire offense, not just one person or one group of players.

BozMan
10-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Ben certainly had a bad game. But to say he is a bad QB is quite a stretch.

steelwall
10-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Look Ben still manages to win games with an offensive line that has more holes than swiss cheese, he is an elite QB. Give him our o-line of 95 ans we would wreck teams.

X-Terminator
10-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Yep, as usual the "Bench Ben" and "Ben sucks" crowd comes out after a loss. It absolutely never fails. With the way the fans turn on players on a dime in this city, if I were Ben, I'd ask to be traded. Steelers fans do not deserve him.

DACEB
10-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Lots of blame to go around.

The O line had lapses, but even when they do give Ben some time he is hanging onto it for too long. Is it good coverage by the Giants D, poor routes being run or poor playcalling......I dont know.

Ben had a bad game, this offense is capable of much more!

The one thing I hated seeing was the last Sack that Ben took. He had time, but no WR was running a pattern near the middle of the field which was wide open. It was bunch formation to the outside and it sucked as a call.

I can't stand seeing us in those bunch formations. Arians, Ben and Anderson should have plenty of film to look at. I look for improvements as the season goes on.

SCSTILLER
10-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Ben had a bad game, it happens! One thing that nobody is bringing up is that we went up against the Giants D, one of the better D's in the league. Also, in my pea brain that I have, I beleive that their D-cooridinator is one of the, if not the best in the league.

Numerous times WR's weren't open. I remember a few plays were the DB's blitzed, and the "HOT" route was blanketed by a LB or safety.

Yes, our D played a hell of a game and kept us in it. Our O had a bad game against a great D, we wil get them back.

Here's to seeing the Redskins, and beating the Redskins on MNF!

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Ok yes the TD was brought back due to Colon's hold.......But I'm not sure Ben gets that pass off if Colon doesn't hold...:

After seeing that play on the replay, I think that Hartwig had Tuck picked up after he got by Colon and Ben would still be able to get that pass off. But I am somewhat of an optimist.

Makaveli
10-27-2008, 03:41 PM

"Oooooo,...the smiley drinking coffee ! Surely you must be g'd up from the feet up !" :laughing:

Dude,..i know that for you and many others, the truth that Roethlisberger never was and is not ANYTHING like , Elway, Marino, Bradshaw (or any other great pure Qb) hurts you deeply. As "Men gladly believe that which they WISH to believe.

But i don't have that problem,..and never will. As i make it a point to value and speak only TRUTH,...no matter if it is "pleasing" or not.

And i have never said to anyone on this planet that Ben is an elite Qb,....just a big kid with some athletic ability playing playground football in the pros.

fansince'76
10-27-2008, 03:48 PM
"Oooooo,...the smiley drinking coffee ! Surely you must be g'd up from the feet up !" :laughing:

Dude,..i know that for you and many others, the truth that Roethlisberger never was and is not ANYTHING like , Elway, Marino, Bradshaw (or any other great pure Qb) hurts you deeply. As "Men gladly believe that which they WISH to believe.

But i don't have that problem,..and never will. As i make it a point to value and speak only TRUTH,...no matter if it is "pleasing" or not.

And i have never said to anyone on this planet that Ben is an elite Qb,....just a big kid with some athletic ability playing playground football in the pros.

Interesting you weren't speaking the "TRUTH" (read: your opinion) after he went for 300+ and 3 TDs against Jax though, right? Got any more brilliant trade ideas to acquire overpriced, overaged RBs for us? :yawn:

GBMelBlount
10-27-2008, 03:55 PM

Be right back guys, I just laughed so hard I made a poopy in my pants. :chuckle:

Preacher
10-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Goat of the game...

is the same as goat of the year, is the winner of the Tri-annual goat award.

RUSS GRIMM

We are STILL trying to fix the mess he left us.

We started this year with 4/5 of the line being HIS MEN. The line was in SHAMBLES when he left. There was no one to take care of the right side of the line. The backup center to take the place of Hartings was cut from the Steelers, AND the Steelers west (Arizona) (and now Texas... though that was injury related). The LG position seemed to be taken care of with Kemo as backup for Mr. Attitude.

No. Our line has serious problems. Those problems are still the result of Russ Grimm, though this game saw our line start to turn things around, until the very end. It will take work, but another year or two and we will have exorcised Grimm out of our Offensive Line..

lilyoder6
10-27-2008, 04:14 PM
hahahaha...

ben not being a good qb.. plz.. just b/c he threw 4int's last night??? was it last yr that Peyton manning threw 4-5 int's against the chargers 1 game???

this is very funny,, another pointless thread to call ben a bum after a loss

X-Terminator
10-27-2008, 04:38 PM
hahahaha...

ben not being a good qb.. plz.. just b/c he threw 4int's last night??? was it last yr that Peyton manning threw 4-5 int's against the chargers 1 game???

this is very funny,, another pointless thread to call ben a bum after a loss

P. Manning actually threw 6 picks in that Chargers game, which goes to show that even the "elite" guys have a bad game every now and then.

Ben is a very good QB, he has proven that he is a very good QB. Some people (OK, one person) just need someone to bash whenever the team loses.

24seven
10-27-2008, 08:50 PM
1. Question.... you honestly think Byron is a better QB than Ben? Even if it was all Ben's fault.....how many times has he won games for us?

Don't put words into my mouth now.. I never once said he's a shitty qb or we should play Byron.. I said he sucked ass.. He lost this game for us because of his shitty game playing and maybe he needs to sit the bench to get his drive back.. As a suggestion.. not an answer.. I don't have the answer or I'd be the coach.. But i do know that like one person said.. Either he has lost faith in the OL or he just plain gave up.. That being said.. All i can hope for is that he bounces back with a Ben like performance.. I haven't given up on him.

tony hipchest
10-27-2008, 08:55 PM
if every team sat their starters after a loss to "get their drive back", this league would flop.

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-27-2008, 09:06 PM
seriously it was 4th down and he throws it short of the first down to hines ward

fire bruce man, he sucks

That play was botched from the start. If you go back and look at it Hartwig snapped it too early because it almost hit Hines as he was in motion and Ben wasn't ready for it. He just paniced and threw it at him.