PDA

View Full Version : This team is cursed with injuries

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-26-2008, 08:47 PM
I understand it's "not an excuse" yada yada, but I've never seen a team have this much trouble with injuries in my life, and it finally caught up with us and costed us this game, because if we had a long snapper, we win this game, hands down.

Sepulveda: IR
Simmons: IR
Mendenhall: IR
Warren: IR
Arnold Harrison: IR
Parker: Misses 4 games
Hampton: Misses 3 games
Keisel: Misses 3 games
McFadden: Out 5 weeks
Clark: Was in a sling after the game
Marvel Smith: Back pain will bother him all year
Berger: Obvious his hamstring is bad
Carey Davis: Misses 2 games
Deshea Townsend: Misses 1 game
Big Ben: Shoulder pain/ Thumb re-injured
Santonio: Is an idiot and will be suspended next week too

I'm sure I'm missing some too.

Edman
10-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Yeah, it pretty much is. Too bad.

Injuries is one of the reasons why the Steelers faded last year. It's a part of the game. Some teams are more luckier than others.

How we won five games is beyond me.

fansince'76
10-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Every team's got 'em. We're not going to get any sympathy for them from anyone else. However, I don't sympathize with other teams' injuries either.

That's football.

stillers4me
10-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Ben injured his left thumb. It was his right hand, his throwing hand that was inured before. I don't think we can blame today on his left thumb.

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Every team's got 'em. We're not going to get any sympathy for them from anyone else. However, I don't sympathize with other teams' injuries either.

That's football.

Coach Tomlin? Is that you?

X-Terminator
10-26-2008, 08:54 PM

You want to tell me what's wrong with that sentiment? Every team in the league deals with injuries. It's how the backups/people off the street perform that determines whether your team sinks or swims. You think the Redskins give a damn about our injuries? They're only without one of their best cover corners in Shawn Springs. Or any team in our division, for that matter? Ask a Cowboys fan if they feel sorry for Steelers fans over our injuries.

The Duke
10-26-2008, 08:54 PM
I understand it's "not an excuse" yada yada, but I've never seen a team have this much trouble with injuries in my life

I have. the cleveland browns :chuckle:

yeah, it sucks, but the team has to overcome injuries to succeed

stillers4me
10-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Until today, our "starters in waiting" have stepped up fine. We tripped up ourselves today.

We'll regroup. And play the Redskins next Monday night.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. We really weren't doing all that bad until some point in 3rd quarter when we started beating ourselves. Without a couple of stupid mistakes, we win. Despite the injuries.

Movin' on to next week.

jjpro11
10-26-2008, 09:03 PM
you have a legitimate beef.. i am pissed about it too. its plain as day that injuries can ruin a team's season. i dont know about you guys, but injuries are what did us in last year after starting out hot. depth can only go so far. i just hope we dont see a repeat of last year.

fansince'76
10-26-2008, 09:06 PM

What did I say that was false? Every team DOES have injuries. And I was completely honest about having no sympathy for other teams' injury situations either. However, I also don't expect any sympathy, or whine and cry about it.

Steelman16
10-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Are all the injuries we keep having a freak of nature, or can some of it be counted toward our trainers and conditioning program?

Just a thought.

X-Terminator
10-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Are all the injuries we keep having a freak of nature, or can some of it be counted toward our trainers and conditioning program?

Just a thought.

If it were hamstring problems or something similar, then yeah. But we're talking about blown-out knees, Achilles' tendon, broken shoulders, broken arms, broken thumbs, etc. Those aren't the result of problems with conditioning/training.

steeler dude
10-26-2008, 09:16 PM
yes Big Ben was off today

RoethlisBURGHer
10-26-2008, 09:17 PM

Just a thought.

I don't think you can blame our trainers and conditioning program for most injuries. It's popular to blame them, but each person is different and responds to physical trauma in their own way.

Football is a phycical game. You can be in the best possible shape, but if someone hits you wrong bones break, tendons tear, muscles get hurt, ligaments tear and sprain.

Shit happens, that's the game. The great teams overcome. We happened to have some unfortunate injuries today that played a slight role in us losing this game. Hopefully next week we can come out prepared to be without the players who got hurt.

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
What did I say that was false? Every team DOES have injuries. And I was completely honest about having no sympathy for other teams' injury situations either. However, I also don't expect any sympathy, or whine and cry about it.

You can't expect 2nd and 3rd stringers to come out and match the talent level that we have starting. Teams don't have as many injuries as we've had this year. What other team loses a game because they have no long snapper?

Steelman16
10-26-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't think you can blame our trainers and conditioning program for most injuries. It's popular to blame them, but each person is different and responds to physical trauma in their own way.

Football is a phycical game. You can be in the best possible shape, but if someone hits you wrong bones break, tendons tear, muscles get hurt, ligaments tear and sprain.

Shit happens, that's the game. The great teams overcome. We happened to have some unfortunate injuries today that played a slight role in us losing this game. Hopefully next week we can come out prepared to be without the players who got hurt.

I wasn't looking for a scapegoat, just wondering if there was anything we could do better to prevent this stuff. It's getting hard to hold my breath after every crunch waiting for the next injury.

As you said, these things happen. Maybe we'll get healthy by the end of the season.

steelpride12
10-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Ya it stinks for sure, but that's the greatness of full. Who can go out there and make up for injuries and still play well.

Every team gets injuries and what makes you a good team is adapting and being a better, stronger team injuries or not.

Preacher
10-26-2008, 11:33 PM
I wasn't looking for a scapegoat, just wondering if there was anything we could do better to prevent this stuff. It's getting hard to hold my breath after every crunch waiting for the next injury.

As you said, these things happen. Maybe we'll get healthy by the end of the season.

I have to admit, I have been wondering about the training/conditioning program as well.

I know must teams go through some things.. but it just seems excessive this year. Heck, even in 2003 we didn't lose this many, and that was when Joey Porter was shot in the butt and we lost a couple off the OL.