PDA

View Full Version : There Is A Problem!

SteelMusic
10-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Please here me out before saying its a fire Ariens thread and I should be shot. But there is a problem here if we open our eyes and just take a look.

Our Defense is the best in the league, hands down. Our offense has a ton of weapons, I mean we are actually stacked on offense.

Now...our Offensive line isn't the best. However, there were several plays that Ben did have plenty of time and for some reason he held on to the ball. Since they didn't show a replay of the receivers down the field, I'm not sure if it was because they were not getting open or what. But I do know that for some reason Ben is holding on to the ball way to long.

What ever the problem is I think we can all agree that this offense has problems. Now why are they not being addressed?

If we could get our offense together we would be about the best damn team in the league, and with all of the weapons we have there is no reason why we should be!

Someone needs to address this problem and get it fixed quick. With the defense playing this good this year, it would be a shame to let this offense throw away a potential Super Bowl season!

Your thoughts?

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Recievers are dogging routes.

Steelman16
10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Let's go no-huddle 24-7. :coffee:

It's all about execution. There are 11 men on the field. Most of them need to do their jobs adequetely in order for the rest to complete the play. It all starts with the five big lards up front. We'll win or lose by the standard of play they bring to the field.

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Let's go no-huddle 24-7. :coffee:

It's all about execution. There are 11 men on the field. Most of them need to do their jobs adequetely in order for the rest to complete the play. It all starts with the five big lards up front. We'll win or lose by the standard of play they bring to the field.

The offensive line takes way to much heat. they;re not great, but they aren't bad. Our RB's have had productive days ever game except that Philly game, and half of the sacks are because Ben holds onto it too long, which, IMO, is because the WR's are dogging the routes.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Does Arians need fired? Possibly AFTER the season. But in no way should we fire our offensive coordinator half way through a season when we're sitting at 5-2 on top of the division.

Arians has done some good things. He streamlined the playbook. Under Cowher it just got bigger as the various offensive coordinators simply added to it and nothing was ever removed.

Arians changed the language in the playbook so things easier to say and remember.

We don't know exactly how much of the playcalling is Arians and how much is Tomlin. I would assume most of it comes from Arians, but none of us know how much influence Tomlin has over it.

However, I do think that we need to run the no huddle as our basic offense. Ben is smart enough to run it and loves to run it. We move the ball more effectivley when using it.

Steelman16
10-26-2008, 09:27 PM
The offensive line takes way to much heat. they;re not great, but they aren't bad. Our RB's have had productive days ever game except that Philly game, and half of the sacks are because Ben holds onto it too long, which, IMO, is because the WR's are dogging the routes.

Maybe because they're waiting for Ben to get hit and throw in 1.5 seconds?

How far can you get in that same amount of time? Didn't think so. :coffee:

Edit, before everyone marks me off as an O-line hater, I think they played a decent game. They did have some brain farts, but overall they didn't suck as bad as against Philly.

fansince'76
10-26-2008, 09:28 PM

I didn't really think the OL played that badly today, overall. Ben was off and so were the receivers.

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Maybe because they're waiting for Ben to get hit and throw in 1.5 seconds?

How far can you get in that same amount of time? Didn't think so. :coffee:

Ben had all day today. The only real sack from the O-Line was at the end of the half. Stop defending Ben. He holds onto it too long. Face it. Every game there are at least 3 instances where he is not on the same page as the WR's and throws it where no one is at. It's a problem.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-26-2008, 09:33 PM

Um, this offensive line is VERY BAD. The receivers don't commit holding or false start penalties. The receivers don't let the defense blow right past them untoched,

I agree part of the problem is Ben holds onto the ball to long, and part of that is receivers dogging their routes at times. However, when Ben has to start scrambling because he can't complete his dropback without pressure...that puts more pressure on receivers to get open quicker, break off their routes and start scrambling themselves.

The offensive woes start with those five lard arses up front that couldn't block their way out of a wet paper bag. The FO needs to look into finding some QUALITY offensive linemen.

GermericanSteelerFan
10-26-2008, 09:36 PM
It's a little bit of everything.

1)The receivers dogging the routes, but I think it's a lot more of the route's they are told to run. They're not fooling anyone.
2)Dropped passes.
3)Dropped passes.
4)The plays are called as though we still have a 250 pound RB in the backfield. Moore had the most success when running to the outside....but only a few of those plays were called. Rushing a small back in the middle all the time will work against bad defenses. It doesn't work against great defenses.
5)Where is the creativity? Going back in the same bucket all the time and hoping for a defensive screwup or a lucky play? Defenses know what we are going to do all the time. Look at what Miami did to the Patriot's defense when they changed up their offensive scheme.
6)Roethlisberger is losing his confidence. I think he's holding on to the ball because he is afraid of being intercepted. Guess what, he held on to the ball today and threw 4.
7)I don't remember having these problems under Wisenhunt.
8)What happened to the bootleg????????

*Edit - and I almost forgot. How many more players are we going to lose to injury?

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Um, this offensive line is VERY BAD. The receivers don't commit holding or false start penalties. The receivers don't let the defense blow right past them untoched,

I agree part of the problem is Ben holds onto the ball to long, and part of that is receivers dogging their routes at times. However, when Ben has to start scrambling because he can't complete his dropback without pressure...that puts more pressure on receivers to get open quicker, break off their routes and start scrambling themselves.

The offensive woes start with those five lard arses up front that couldn't block their way out of a wet paper bag. The FO needs to look into finding some QUALITY offensive linemen.

The offensive line is average. They are good enough.They opened a lot of holes for Mewelde and only one sack was on them.

SteelMusic
10-26-2008, 09:39 PM
5)I don't remember having these problems under Wisenhunt.
Amen.

NV STEELERS 723
10-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Ben holds onto the ball a lil too long, but its how he found Nat for 2 TD's..and 1 that was called back for holding....I think the play calling was sucky today too, Moore was getting yards on the ground w/ the no huddle....it seems that is the only time the STEELERS O is in sync!

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2008, 09:41 PM
I like the "where is the bootleg" call...

kind of wondered that a few times myself...at least on the Boot, Ben can always pull it down and scramble.

Steelman16
This is the problem folks.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20081027/capt.b1735b4f494b4bc0ad5e9d27ce801334.aptopix_gian ts_steelers_football_paks106.jpg

X-Terminator
5)I don't remember having these problems under Wisenhunt.

Fans were complaining about the same things under Whisenhunt. Or don't you remember all of the catcalls for his firing during the 2006 season?

SteelMusic
10-26-2008, 09:44 PM
I personally liked the Wiz.

My question is, if the O Line is the main problem, can they be coached up or do you guys think that the talent is that bad in those positions?

fansince'76
10-26-2008, 09:45 PM
The offensive line is average. They are good enough.They opened a lot of holes for Mewelde and only one sack was on them.

Agreed - the OL wasn't the primary problem. Ben and the WRs played poorly. As much as our passing game clicked against JAX, it stalled every bit as much today. And props to the D. Our D will keep is in every game.

SteelMusic
10-26-2008, 09:47 PM
I think the OLine play is very spotty. At times they actually look pretty good, but it is not consistent.

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2008, 09:48 PM
I don't think the Oline was the problem today. They gave Ben a lot of really good pockets. Also, they opened up some pretty good running lanes. Sure, we let up a couple sacks, 5 of them, to a team that is a sack machine team. But, they weren't all the Olines fault.

There was that one though where that dude came from Ben's blindside completely unblocked. That was a mess. But I didn't think the Oline was the problem. The entire offense made mistakes. All over the place. From Washington not holding onto the all (it bounced out of his hands before he got shalacked) to Sweed not being able to break a single man tackle on a late reception, to Moore...well heck he did a great job I think...to Ben missing reads, to Ward not being open often enough.

Complete Offensive Meltdown. 2nd time this year.

2 losses.

steelpride12
10-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I put my blame on the OL, season after season the Line is terrible, and never addressed in the off season in positive ways.
Sure Ben could have let go of the ball sooner, but we all know week in and week out our line is the center of the show and not in a good way.

MillerMania83
10-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Anyone else miss the days of "trick/gadget plays" the Steelers would run from time to time, it's like there is NONE in the play book the last 2 years....Ya know, the days of Randle El and Bettis running and throwing the "trick" play ever now and then...Hey, for the most part, THEY WORKED, and when it does it's HUGE momentum turner for the "good guys"....Plus it keeps the opposing D just a bit off balance cuz in the back of their minds "they just never know"....Those kinds of plays just don't seem to exists anymore with the Steelers....I know ya can't live by plays like, but when your O is strugglin' especially against very good teams, sometimes it's good to run a little something like that....And IMO we drafted a guy who be just what the doctored ordered for a few plays like that, calling Mr. Dixon.

SteelMusic
10-26-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't know about running trick plays using Dixon, but I do think that our play calling does seem kind of flat at times.

Edman
10-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Yes, there is a problem.

When the offense clicks, it's one of the most dynamic in the league. When it's not, it's horrible on inconceivable levels. It's either very good or downright terrible.

The Offense alone has cost the Steelers two games this year.

indy steeler
10-26-2008, 10:03 PM
This should be a fire Arians thread because he SUCKS.
Our offense is ranked 25th in the NFL and will probably fall this week.
WHERE IS THE NO HUDDLE?
Our ground game is 13th in the NFL.

OneForTheToe
10-27-2008, 01:02 AM
One thing to remember. The Giants are great at getting pressure with just 4 or 5 rushers. It is what they did to Marsha Brady. And just as in the Super Bowl, this allowed them to blanket the receivers. So, some credit to the Giants they are a good team, after all.

It's not like we didn't move the ball. IOf not for the penalty Ben would have had two long TD passes.

BozMan
10-27-2008, 01:30 AM
I put my blame on the OL, season after season the Line is terrible, and never addressed in the off season in positive ways.
Sure Ben could have let go of the ball sooner, but we all know week in and week out our line is the center of the show and not in a good way.

This can't be emphasized enough. We knew the O-line has had problems since at least the 2006 season. What was done about it the past few off-seasons? (1.) Letting the best LG in franchise history walk. 2.) A revolving door of free agent centers.) I don't see any long-term plans or investments being made to upgrade the OL.

Preacher
10-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Our receivers weren't able to get open a number of times today. Probably two or three of those sacks were coverage sacks.

stlrtruck
10-27-2008, 01:39 PM
I think Ben is doing the "Favre Thing" in trying to get the big one instead of taking the underneath and allowing the WR make a play for more yardage or just take what is given.

Hapa
10-27-2008, 06:51 PM
We should run West Coast offense

SteelMusic
10-28-2008, 11:58 AM
We need to use more 3 step drops and BANG! Get it outta there.:tt02:

SteelMember
10-28-2008, 12:17 PM
I think Ben is doing the "Favre Thing" in trying to get the big one instead of taking the underneath and allowing the WR make a play for more yardage or just take what is given.

He's always looking for the homerun (TD) when all he needs is a single (first down). That is his mentality, and I admire that most times, but sometimes you just gotta take what they are giving you instead of forcing the issue. Get the first down, and give yourself a chance to make a big play and still have another down if it dosen't work out. Don't put it all on the line until it's absolutely necessary.

Dino 6 Rings
10-28-2008, 01:02 PM
He's always looking for the homerun (TD) when all he needs is a single (first down). That is his mentality, and I admire that most times, but sometimes you just gotta take what they are giving you instead of forcing the issue. Get the first down, and give yourself a chance to make a big play and still have another down if it dosen't work out. Don't put it all on the line until it's absolutely necessary.

I'm tending to agree with this type of thinking.

2nd and 10 is a heck of alot harder than 2nd and 6. A 4yard pass is great on 1st down.

Now, I love the deep ball as much as anyone else, but man...you have to take the small stuff sometimes.

The 7 step drops are getting us killed.

DACEB
10-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm tending to agree with this type of thinking.
Now, I love the deep ball as much as anyone else, but man...you have to take the small stuff sometimes.

Don't forget Dino, the small stuff also sets up the deep ball!!

xfl2001fan
10-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Don't forget Dino, the small stuff also sets up the deep ball!!

Yeah, Santo on a dbl move with the Corner biting on the slant is pretty much TD all day.

Rhee Rhee
10-29-2008, 03:54 AM
i have become a believer in heath.

the pecking chart for receptions should be:

1. hines
2. heath
3. santonio
4. nate

it seems as though heath is finding the seams in the middle of the field between LBs and safeties and playing solidly... i also think it's about time we reward him for the amount of blocking he has done for us.

SteelMusic
10-29-2008, 07:09 AM
I definitely agree with you Rhee, I think Heath should be getting a lot more balls thrown his way.

SteelMusic
10-29-2008, 07:11 AM
I definitely agree with you Rhee, I think Heath should be getting a lot more balls thrown his way.:chuckle: