PDA

View Full Version : I miss Russ Grimm

XxKnightxX
10-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Not to sound all pessimistic, im still 100 percent behind:helmet: them nor do i wish i had this and that. Im a realist, so i deal with whats given. But I miss Russ Grimm. I dont know who is the coach right now, but I see an immense difference. I no longer see that mean, punishing pounding and blocking that the steelers had when they ran the ball. That type of swagger that when they steelers snapped the ball, you saw the line pushing forward knowing it was a run and there wasnt a damn thing you can do about it. I know we dont have the same line as a couple of years ago or that we dont have the bus, but I'm sure that the coaching philosophy and aggerssiveness is not there as it was when Grimm was there.

Take for example the cowgirls last year. Sparano was the O line coach while garret was the O coordinator. The cowboys managed to run the ball extremely effectively and punished everyone that tried to stop them, they were more emphasized on running and depended on the run. You see them this year with Sparano gone and the Cowboys just try to sling the ball all the time and were even criticized for not utilizing barber. And you see the Fins this year, from 1-15 to a hell of a competitor in the league. Funny coincidence how the team is such a force because of their offensive line and running game, and a head coach who emphasizes on the O line.

Like I said its just my 2 cents and not showing pessimism. Any agreements or comments gladly welcome. But honestly, the physicality is still there, but it can get better.

Steelers For Life:tt03::tt03::tt03:

RoethlisBURGHer
10-26-2008, 11:40 PM
This offensive line started it's way to suck in 2006 when Russ Grimm was still here.

I think part of the problem is we haven't had stability. We're on our third center in as many years. We've got two guys playing gaurd who were backups last year in Kemoeatu and Stapelton.

Willie Colon is garbage. Max Starks may not be much better, but at least the guy with more upside and making the big bucks would be starting.

Another advantage we had was Jerome Bettis in the run game. When there was no hole, he often made one. He moves piles all by himself. We don't have a back like that right now.

XxKnightxX
10-26-2008, 11:44 PM
I agree with the 06 season statement man, Im pretending that season never happened because I hate to say it but all the coaches from Cowher to Grimm to Whisenhunt were just waiting to get it over with. Horribel season still love the chin hopefully he comes back to us :0). Anyway man I agree, we need a stable line. We seriously either gotta develop these guys or start looking in the draft in which we got no luck last draft. But i hope these guys get it together or else Big Ben will be in shambles within years.

steelwall
10-26-2008, 11:44 PM
I'd miss Grimm if he could go out on the feild and block better than Colon. Other than that these guys are proffesionals, no matter what O-line coach you have, they need to step up.

Blocking could be broke down in 4 simple aspects......Bring back Grim and put him in a RT!!!!!!

XxKnightxX
10-26-2008, 11:48 PM
haha I bet grimm and dan deiodorf will step in there without a problem haha. But I dont know, I saw a video once on Russ Grimm when he coached and i loved his philosophy, just how he motiened ward in almost every running play as if it was a 2nd fullback in the play

Preacher
10-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Yep,

we are actually seeing Tomlin and Co. trying to clean up Grimm's Oline problems now.

I am glad he isn't with us. Our line had to be more flexible. It seems that we have, just over the last two ro three games, finally built a base for the O line to build on.

Sure, we have a long way to go. However, I think we do have a foundation.

verks36
10-27-2008, 12:26 AM
lol its not the run blocking thats the problem every single game ben is getting killed when he drops back to pass.

MasterOfPuppets
10-27-2008, 05:28 AM
Yep,

we are actually seeing Tomlin and Co. trying to clean up Grimm's Oline problems now.

I am glad he isn't with us. Our line had to be more flexible. It seems that we have, just over the last two ro three games, finally built a base for the O line to build on.

Sure, we have a long way to go. However, I think we do have a foundation.
grimms problems? you meen colbert and cowhers problems? i doubt grimm had anything to do with the personel descisions.....your only as good as the tools you have to work with.

DACEB
10-27-2008, 05:53 AM
I really don't think the O-line played poorly against the Giants. I will say that IMO Colon has not shown marked improvement, and continues to hurt us with penalties and sacks.

Ben had a bad game against the Giants. I liked the way he stayed in the pocket, but at times was furious he didn't run out of the pocket (easy for me to say, huh). Ben looked confused at times and held the ball too long.

ChronoCross
10-27-2008, 07:20 AM
The O Line has been going down hill since 2004... And has gotten worse each year.. The line actually is starting to look better with injuries to simmons and smith and getting better backups in. Going against a top rush D like the Giants and not giving up 10 sacks is better believe me. We lost that game because of QB play and penality calls.. And you can blame Ben for half his sacks every year..

BozMan
10-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Not to sound all pessimistic, im still 100 percent behind:helmet: them nor do i wish i had this and that. Im a realist, so i deal with whats given. But I miss Russ Grimm. I dont know who is the coach right now, but I see an immense difference. I no longer see that mean, punishing pounding and blocking that the steelers had when they ran the ball. That type of swagger that when they steelers snapped the ball, you saw the line pushing forward knowing it was a run and there wasnt a damn thing you can do about it. I know we dont have the same line as a couple of years ago or that we dont have the bus, but I'm sure that the coaching philosophy and aggerssiveness is not there as it was when Grimm was there.

Take for example the cowgirls last year. Sparano was the O line coach while garret was the O coordinator. The cowboys managed to run the ball extremely effectively and punished everyone that tried to stop them, they were more emphasized on running and depended on the run. You see them this year with Sparano gone and the Cowboys just try to sling the ball all the time and were even criticized for not utilizing barber. And you see the Fins this year, from 1-15 to a hell of a competitor in the league. Funny coincidence how the team is such a force because of their offensive line and running game, and a head coach who emphasizes on the O line.

Like I said its just my 2 cents and not showing pessimism. Any agreements or comments gladly welcome. But honestly, the physicality is still there, but it can get better.

Steelers For Life:tt03::tt03::tt03:

Another thing to consider is that for all but Russ Grimm's last season, a future-Hall-of-Fame running back in Jerome Bettis was available to help pound the ball.

XxKnightxX
10-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah I really hope the Offensive line straightens up its game and Ben of course has to trust them. He did it in last nights game so I think were seeing some improvement. I guess we can compare this line to the Giants line back in 04 when manning was a rookie as well, they were bad just as the team was bad. But you look at them now 4 years later and their chemistry is unbelieveable. Hopefully they can build chemistry for the rest of this season.

KeiselPower99
10-27-2008, 09:01 AM
If we had better tackles the line would look better.Kemoeatu just needs a better tackle beside him. Stapleton is a back up that has shown some promise.And Hartwig is better than Mahan. Im not sure a new coach could turn Starks or Colon into book end tackles.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2008, 09:55 AM
This offensive line started it's way to suck in 2006 when Russ Grimm was still here.

EXACTLY :thumbsup:

Grimm was hampered by injuries to the O line, just like the current Steelers O line. Grimm was hampered by poor drafting or little drafting of talent (Lacy, Nkwenti, Okobi) and had to turn to guys like Keydrick Vincent and Oliver Ross to fill the roster, just like Mahan, Hartwig, Colon with the current line.

The one thing I didnt like about Grimm was that he was sloppy and not a detail guy, which transferred to his O line at times. I for one dont miss him, but also dont think coach Z is getting all he needs from his unit.