PDA

View Full Version : Da Bearz R coming to town!

Dennis
12-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Hi, Steelers fans! I'm a Chicago Bears fan and I'm hoping to come here to talk a little friendly SMACK about next Sunday's game, as well as to invite you to do the same at my Bears forum (http://cgi.tripod.com/dabearzfanforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl). No registration needed, guests are allowed to post in "Da Smack Shack," and vote in "Da Game of da Week" Poll. :thmbup:

Looking forward to another win. Da Bearz have won 8 in a row now and have finally beaten the hated Green Bay Packers for the 1st time at home in a dozen years. Momentum just keeps building! This year we're shaping up to be unstoppable. The Steelers 3 game losing skid will continue, despite Big Ben's presence.

BEAR DOWN!

http://bears.hosttown.com/style_emoticons/default/bearbang.gifhttp://bears.hosttown.com/style_emoticons/default/bearbang.gifhttp://bears.hosttown.com/style_emoticons/default/bearbang.gifhttp://bears.hosttown.com/style_emoticons/default/bearbang.gif

Koopa
12-05-2005, 01:41 PM
well i respect the bears mainly cause of vasher and benson.............but y'all gonna be playing a mighty pissed off steelers team and i don't think y'all stand a chance this sunday.....they gonna make orton wish rex wasn't so injury prone........ but anyway here's to a good injury free game :cheers:

BB2W
12-05-2005, 01:47 PM
The Bears defense is playing great... it should be a good game. This game, and pretty much the rest of the season is a must win. I am glad this isn't being played in Chicago.

Dennis
12-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Vasher's been awesome, I wish we could play him at Wide Receiver as well! :wink02:

Benson looked real good until he went down with a knee injury, not sure when he's due to come back, but I think we'll have him for the Playoffs. Meanwhile, Thomas Jones is already over 1,000 yards rushing for the season and we've got 4 games left to play! :grin: Adrian Peterson's a change up from TJ at RB, and proven to be all the relief that TJ needs right now. :grin:

I see Big Ben's putting up a lot of passing yards, but still losing. Kind of like Farve did Sunday at Soldier Field. :blurp:

Looking forward to Sunday. Once we beat you guys no one will be able to say that da Bears aren't for real this year!

SalukiSteelers
12-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Beating the Steelers five or more weeks ago would be news. Beating this team doesn't make you more legit. In fact, I'd question how legit your team really is if it doesn't beat these Steelers.

You gotta figure the AFC goes:
1. Indy;
2. - T Denver, Cincy;
4. Jacksonville;
5. San Diego;
6. T - Pittsburg, K.C.

Sixth-place, baby! It's disgusting but true. I'm sure it's nice to think that Da Bears are gonna come in to Heinz and smoke a struggling team but even if they do, what does it prove? Nada.

One thing a loss proves, though, is that this Bears team is a lot like the team that got crushed by Philly in the playoffs a few seasons ago. They've got a great defense that can score as easily as the offense (not saying much) but at some point don't you have to think that somebody will score on them?

I mean, if a team scores 21 on the Bears do they win by a touchdown? Hopefully we'll find out this weekend. I don't know, though, because the Steelers line is playing so freakin' bad that it would be tough to beat a team with no defense (see Cincy).

If the Steelers lose four straight, especially to Da Bears, this Steelers fan in Illinois is likely to go on a bank robbing spree that ends in a shootout with Mexican federales.

Steel - X
12-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Should be a close battle I think who ever has the best running game this week will win. But welcome to the site Dennis I hope you enjoy your visit and good luck this week.

Prosdo
12-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Welcome to SF Dennis. Should be a good game. Here's to an injury free one :cheers:

Dennis
12-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome! Some other teams fans aren't so civil (The Bucs fans @ the Pewter Report).

I'm hoping for an injury free game as well. Isn't Roethlisberger still nursing a bad thumb?

Granted, da Bears Offense has been less than stellar this year. We were hurt by injuries, starting with our QB Rex Grossman breaking his ankle in the pre-season. Raw rookie Kyle Orton has managed to keep the Offense pointed in the right direction, if not scoring much. Just when Kyle started to grow into the role and find some rythmn with our fastest WR, Bradley went down injured, out for the season. That left our only legit threat at WR to be Muhsin Muhammad, who we got from the Panthers. Unfortunately, playing with only one deep threat, Defenses found it easy to neutralize our passing game. Now we have injured WRs Berrian & Berlin back, with Currie soon to follow (hopefully). Gage has shown flashes of being a superior WR, but isn't consistent enough yet.

The brightest spot on da Bears Offense, our Running Backs (Thomas Jones & Adrian Peterson) have been able to successfully run the ball, despite Defenses knowing that it's all we can do and loading up against them. Our O-Line (the other bright spot on Offense) deserves major credit for that, they've been opening up lanes on the inside for Jones all season.

I really don't know what to expect in terms of a game plan against the Steelers. Your pass defense isn't as highly rated as our last three opponents, so I'm guessing that our coaches will come out trying to establish the pass again to take some pressure off of the Running Backs. We might actually accomplish something passing, with so many WRs returning to game form, as well as the possibility of Rex Grossman being able to play (at least a few downs).

SalukiSteelers
12-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Why go with Grossman? The team has won, like, seven-straight, haven't they? Hell, with just his starts this season, Orton may be the more experienced QB. If I were the Bears coaches, I'd ride out the season with the kid under center and worry about who's starting next season. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2005, 05:49 PM
welcome Dennis, to SF !

Glad to have you on board. I'll check out your website tonite when I get off work.

Should be a great one. 2 awesome defenses battling it out. could be very low scoring though too unless we can break that D of yours.

CantStop85
12-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Why go with Grossman? The team has won, like, seven-straight, haven't they? Hell, with just his starts this season, Orton may be the more experienced QB. If I were the Bears coaches, I'd ride out the season with the kid under center and worry about who's starting next season. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Why change it? Because anything's got to be better than kyle orton. The thing is, it is broke. The offense is broken because of Orton's horrendous play. It's not like Orton's been winning these games for them...he's been doing everything he can to help them lose but their defense always bails them out. If they could get anything resembling a QB back there, they might have a shot at a super bowl run.

Dennis
12-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Why change it? Because anything's got to be better than kyle orton. The thing is, it is broke. The offense is broken because of Orton's horrendous play. It's not like Orton's been winning these games for them...he's been doing everything he can to help them lose but their defense always bails them out. If they could get anything resembling a QB back there, they might have a shot at a super bowl run.
Actually, considering the conditions that he was thrown into the starting slot under (no pre-season prep), Orton has done as well as anyone could possibly ask. He has been constrained by three factors in his QB play.

Kyle was a "shotgun QB" in college. He never really learned a 3-5 step drop. So his footwork has sucked, resulting in a lot of bad, off-balance throws.
Outside of Moose, he has no legitimate deep WR weapon. Kind of tough to go deep if your only receiver is constantly covered.
The entire Bears Wide Receiver Corps has a tough time holding onto the good passes he does throw to them.

The coaches appeared to have Kyle's footwork fixed at the Carolina game. His passing was smooth and accurate, right into the receivers hands. Unfortunately, this is when we found out that all of our receivers have a bad case of the "dropsies."

In the Tampa game, the Bucs elite Defense targetted Orton because he was a rookie. But they failed to force rookie mistakes out of him. Da Bears also played "max protect" to help keep Kyle from turning over the ball. That kept in the RBs & TEs to help with the blocking, often leaving Orton with a single WR going out. Pretty easy for Tampa to cover. But Kyle showed real veteran cool in the pocket. Several times when the play was busted, Kyle avoided the blitz and managed some decent rushing for the first time this season (20 yds on 3 carries).

So Kyle's actually developing pretty quickly in a lot of aspects. He's been able to read Defenses well, avoid the blitz, rush, look down his receivers surprisingly well, they even let him audible plays at scrimmage. He seems to be right on the edge of putting it all together and having a breakout game. Now that we've gotten beefed up @ WR, he just might show something against Pittsburgh.

As to "why fix what ain't broke" and play Grossman? First of all, no one is suggesting that we bench Orton. But if Grossman's healthy enough to play, why not rotate him in for a couple of series? Orton's had nothing but unending pressure at QB all season. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually slowing his development. If we can take some of that pressure off by adding Grossman, why not? Give Kyle a chance to catch his breath and work some on his own development, instead of just prepping for the next opponent.

Also, no one is respecting our passing game, partly because we have a rookie QB with low stats. If a vet with better numbers were in, we might finally stretch out Defenses a little on the field and avoid constantly seeing 8-9 in the box. That would make the Running Backs jobs much easier...

Suitanim
12-05-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm wondering when Tampa's Defense became "Elite" again...It used to be, but, like Georgetown University, they are running on reputation now. It still seems to be fooling people, though.

SalukiSteelers
12-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Nice postings, Dennis. Insightful and well thought out.

As for Canstop85, I'm not saying that Orton is all that good. In fact, the Bears offense stinks but if they are winning games with a guy who is getting more experience every game.

Is it a perfect situation? Well, record aside, probably not but I don't see how a rusty Grossman makes anything better. Yeah, the Bears don't have a good quarterback. Neither did the Ravens when they won it all.

He might be trying to lose games but he's not losing them. Call me crazy but I figure if you've got an eight-game winning streak, something is working.

Besides, what happens if Grossman gets hurt again? Then, if it's serious, you're down a QB next season. Screw it, I'd let it ride. Hopefully he flames out against the Steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2005, 02:28 AM
just signed up on your forum tonite dude, you have a pretty cool place over there...

Prosdo
12-06-2005, 02:38 AM
Signed up as well. Nice site you have.

Dennis
12-06-2005, 06:57 AM
just signed up on your forum tonite dude, you have a pretty cool place over there...

Signed up as well. Nice site you have.

Thanks guys. It's just an itty-bitty forum, but I'm working on growing it bigger. I'd like to do it without as much negativism as I see on some other Bears forums. Like the "Quarterback Controversy." It gets old listening over and over again to the same trolls calling for Orton to be benched. :rolleyes: I'm trying to get a more positive attitude going, after all, da Bears are 9-3! :grin:

I like this Steelers forum as well. :thmbup: I'll be encouraging my members to come and post here... :peace:

Prosdo
12-06-2005, 07:10 AM
You gotta start somewhere. I know from what Blitz and Mike said this site started off pretty small, but it's going strong now. Keep at it and I'm sure you're site will grow.

Dennis
12-06-2005, 07:30 AM
I'm wondering when Tampa's Defense became "Elite" again...It used to be, but, like Georgetown University, they are running on reputation now. It still seems to be fooling people, though.
Yes, they're "elite." I'd call the #2 ranked Defense in the NFL "elite." (Da Bears are #1 :grin: ) I think that Tampa's Offense gets overlooked a lot because Gruden lets the Bucs get sucked into high-scoring contests. Like their wins over Washington and Atlanta. But when da Bears went down to Tampa, they were able to play low-scoring, field-position, ball-control football toe-to-toe with us. Damned near won the game. They should have, they could have tied it at the end & gone into OT if they hadn't missed a fairly easy FG. If Gruden had made just a few play-calls different (like running, not passing on 1st Down on your own 7 yard line), then da Bears wouldn't have won...