PDA

View Full Version : Holmes Says Sorry

Borski
10-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Steelers' Holmes issues apology over drug charge (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08301/923258-66.stm)
Monday, October 27, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today released a statement by wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who was deactivated by coach Mike Tomlin before Sunday's loss to the New York Giants after he was charged with marijuana possession.

"I would like to apologize to my teammates, the Steelers organization, my family and the fans for my actions that caused me to miss Sunday's game,'' the statement read. "I recognize that I made a mistake and understand the significance of my actions, and will not make any excuses for my behavior. I look forward to putting this behind me and to being accepted by my teammates and the fans as part of the team.

"At this time, I plan to focus all of my efforts on helping our team win on the field and achieve its ultimate goal, and will not address this situation publicly in the future.''

No word from Tomlin on whether Holmes will be re-instated for Sunday's game or whether the team fined him.

Police looking for a different SUV stopped Holmes' vehicle Thursday near the Mellon Arena. Police said he acknowledged having marijuana-filled cigars in the SUV.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

tony hipchest
10-27-2008, 04:14 PM
hes still gonna face a 2 game suspension from the league. just watch... goodell's a dick like that.

oh, and i blame him for yesterdays loss. thats why its a bit easier to stomach...

lilyoder6
10-27-2008, 04:15 PM
i was thinking that goodell would be a dick since holmes is a steeler... but oh well, at least he apologized, now lets see if he meant or not

randy06
10-27-2008, 04:17 PM
now we have to wait and see what the commish will do

MACH1
10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
hes still gonna face a 2 game suspension from the league. just watch... goodell's a dick like that.

oh, and i blame him for yesterdays loss. thats why its a bit easier to stomach...

Hopefully goodell will give him time served.

Preacher
10-27-2008, 04:24 PM
I think we are missing the bigger picture here...

This is the SAME GUY who, after his two arrests (which were dropped) his rookie year, said that he didn't have to prove anything to the fans.

What you read here today is from a completely DIFFERENT man.

Part of that, I have to suspect, is a result of spending time with Ward and to a lesser extent, Ben, Tomlin, and the Rooney's. Part of that, I think, is the maturation of a man.

But another part of that has to be the fact that he recognized his actions affect the team. He must take responsibility for his actions. That comes because a coach had the cojones to step up and deactivate him REGARDLESS of what the league does. Now, Holmes has to worry that his team will lose one or two more games if he is punished by the league. Right now, he is probably kicking himself and wishing he never did it.

My bet... he won't make that mistake again.

THAT is why Tomlin did the RIGHT THING in deactivating him.

Props to Holmes for stepping up and taking responsibility, for acting like a man from the start, as soon as he was busted. That is the beginning of earning a bit of respect back in my book.

And much bigger props to Tomlin for stepping up.

randy06
10-27-2008, 04:24 PM
hopefully since the Stillers took action he gets a fine.

PisnNapalm
10-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Whatever.... Just wait until he gets caught again.

I've questioned his character from the start. He's a hell of a talent on the field, but I don't think I want him in the locker room.

Preacher
10-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Actually,

I hope Holmes is banned for a game from the league.

You want to make sure this NEVER happens again? Make him sweat out another game and another potential loss for his actions.

He has a long career ahead of him. Make him sit one..

No, it isn't punitive. It is a teaching lesson that he will learn well. The kid is hungry to play... that hunger will grow if he sits another game... and will start to direct his actions.

(No, I said hungry... figuritve. NOT the munchies!)

randy06
10-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Whatever.... Just wait until he gets caught again.

I've questioned his character from the start. He's a hell of a talent on the field, but I don't think I want him in the locker room.

Real positive

Dino 6 Rings
10-27-2008, 04:45 PM
He should apologize. Good...now go read the effing playbook and study the defensive formations of the Redskins, even if you aren't playing, practice and prepare like you are. Total dissapointment.

klick81
10-27-2008, 05:07 PM
When should we expect to hear from that asshole, Goodell? I just hope he's back by the Colts' game.

stillers4me
10-27-2008, 05:10 PM
I think we are missing the bigger picture here...

This is the SAME GUY who, after his two arrests (which were dropped) his rookie year, said that he didn't have to prove anything to the fans.

What you read here today is from a completely DIFFERENT man.

Part of that, I have to suspect, is a result of spending time with Ward and to a lesser extent, Ben, Tomlin, and the Rooney's. Part of that, I think, is the maturation of a man.

But another part of that has to be the fact that he recognized his actions affect the team. He must take responsibility for his actions. That comes because a coach had the cojones to step up and deactivate him REGARDLESS of what the league does. Now, Holmes has to worry that his team will lose one or two more games if he is punished by the league. Right now, he is probably kicking himself and wishing he never did it.

My bet... he won't make that mistake again.

THAT is why Tomlin did the RIGHT THING in deactivating him.

Props to Holmes for stepping up and taking responsibility, for acting like a man from the start, as soon as he was busted. That is the beginning of earning a bit of respect back in my book.

And much bigger props to Tomlin for stepping up.

I absolutely 100 % agree with all the above. Hopefully he realizes the full extent of his choices and how they affect his team. I hope to have him in black and gold for along time.

Sitting Plax yesterday for, what, a quarter? .......Yeah, he really learned a lesson.

Preacher
10-27-2008, 05:10 PM
He should apologize. Good...now go read the effing playbook and study the defensive formations of the Redskins, even if you aren't playing, practice and prepare like you are. Total dissapointment.

I don't think working will be the problem for him.

Like I said though, I DO hope he is suspended 1 more game.

I just have a feeling this is the last time we will read about these kind of problems with him.

Preacher
10-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I absolutely 100 % agree with all the above. Hopefully he realizes the full extent of his choices and how they affect his team. I hope to have him in black and gold for along time.

Sitting Plax yesterday for, what, a quarter? .......Yeah, he really learned a lesson.

Bingo. How can a player take seriously what the coach is saying when, as soon as their is a need, the coach brings him in to play?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2008, 05:26 PM
I accept the apology as that is all he can do. I expect the league to suspend him for another game at least, but I for one am not going to blow this out of proportion.

What were the specifics?? 2 or 3 joints he was busted for?? In the NBA they call that....Wednesday.

I have not touched the stuff in years. But back then when I was is the 16-24 age range, yes I admitt that I smoked......but didnt inhale :wink: just like Bill Clinton.

Fact is that he has more to lose at age 24 than I did and needs to learn the lesson. Hope the kid figures it out soon.

Preacher
10-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I accept the apology as that is all he can do. I expect the league to suspend him for another game at least, but I for one am not going to blow this out of proportion.

What were the specifics?? 2 or 3 joints he was busted for?? In the NBA they call that....Wednesday.

I have not touched the stuff in years. But back then when I was is the 16-24 age range, yes I admitt that I smoked......but didnt inhale :wink: just like Bill Clinton.

Fact is that he has more to lose at age 24 than I did and needs to learn the lesson. Hope the kid figures it out soon.

Actually, if you read my posts... you will find that we are pretty much on the same page. However, I have a feeling that I believe the proportion is a little bit larger than you do. But overall, we are in agreement.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Actually, if you read my posts... you will find that we are pretty much on the same page. However, I have a feeling that I believe the proportion is a little bit larger than you do. But overall, we are in agreement.

Actually.....preach, I have read your posts and wasnt taking any exception to them if that is what you think. I see you capitalizing, SAME GUY, NEVER, and some other words that make me think your opinion is Holmes needs to be taught a lesson. One more game isnt gonna do that IMO.

You have to hit bottom before looking up and #1 draft pick, starting WR, and the like isnt bottom yet. It hasnt affected his play, its just a little bit of weed. We hold athletes to a higher standard than a guy at the mill who likes to blow a few joints. I dont know Holmes, so cant really comment if the kid is a bad seed or just a young kid with 3 children from different mothers that needs to find the way of resposibility and being a man.

I think he is just a kid that has been pampered most of his young life because of his talent and was smoking up a bit. I think if he is a problem that Tomlin will handle it. Coach T seems like a solid guy. If it was me and he is a problem.....I dress the kid and only have him covering kicks. Let him work his way back to a point of trust by his teammates. But, I get the gut feeling that Holmes is OK and wont be a problem.

Havik
10-27-2008, 06:03 PM
I just hope Santonio is more discreet about his pot smoking and keeps it in the privacy of his own home.

VTsteel
10-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Actually.....preach, I have read your posts and wasnt taking any exception to them if that is what you think. I see you capitalizing, SAME GUY, NEVER, and some other words that make me think your opinion is Holmes needs to be taught a lesson. One more game isnt gonna do that IMO.

You have to hit bottom before looking up and #1 draft pick, starting WR, and the like isnt bottom yet. It hasnt affected his play, its just a little bit of weed. We hold athletes to a higher standard than a guy at the mill who likes to blow a few joints. I dont know Holmes, so cant really comment if the kid is a bad seed or just a young kid with 3 children from different mothers that needs to find the way of resposibility and being a man.

I think he is just a kid that has been pampered most of his young life because of his talent and was smoking up a bit. I think if he is a problem that Tomlin will handle it. Coach T seems like a solid guy. If it was me and he is a problem.....I dress the kid and only have him covering kicks. Let him work his way back to a point of trust by his teammates. But, I get the gut feeling that Holmes is OK and wont be a problem.

Wow really good post. I agree with you I think Holmes will be fine and making him earn his spot back is a damn fine idea.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Wow really good post. I agree with you I think Holmes will be fine and making him earn his spot back is a damn fine idea.

Thanks, I usually have a good post every 3 months....so its all downhill from here out. :noidea:

I dont think that Santo is a problem, just immature(but have no knowledge to back it up). I always like the Chris Carter situation where he said "Buddy Ryan cutting me was the wake up call that I needed". I hope Santonio doesnt need that kind of wakeup call.

Edman
10-27-2008, 06:33 PM
He should say sorry. He let the team down.

Ben and the offense certainly could've used his help yesterday.

Rhee Rhee
10-27-2008, 06:59 PM
can his statements be any more original?

(notice the sarcasm)

FightingIrishman
10-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Holmes was the bigger man this time by stepping up and apologizing for his misconduct. I believe that Tomlin did the right thing by sitting him this week because it will show that he is not putting up with these distractions. What is it with players from Ohio.

FightingIrishman
10-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Meaning that Holmes went to Ohio State lol...and yes I know he is my avatar.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2008, 07:51 PM
can his statements be any more original?

(notice the sarcasm)
You are right.

-I think he needs to just show up and do what he can to help the team win.
-Give it 110%.
-Take it one game at a time.
-The most important game is the next game.
-Be thankful for the opportunity and .......the good lord willing, he will be able to be a better teammate.

:rolleyes:

steelpride12
10-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Haha ant player would do so meaning it or not, it is just to get themselves back on the field.
I respect Santo for doing so, but surely if it didn't matter that would have never happen. Santo has not learned his lesson he has done numerous things with his stay In the Burgh, but prove me wrong number 10.

SteelersMongol
10-27-2008, 09:22 PM
4 Santonio's part, t was pretty stupid & selfish thing 2 do. & I agree with Preacher, gotta make him think about this whole dumb*ss move 4 one more game at least.

Preacher
10-27-2008, 09:34 PM

Its not that I think the kid needs to be taught a lesson. Honestly, I think he has learned his lesson. The one game from the league I am hoping for, is "follow through." It lets that lesson just sink in a little bit further. That's all.

You're right, we don't know the kid. BUt there are a couple tell-tales from this situation that gives us some insight.

1. He does exhibit bad judgement.
2. He has shown respect for authority, which is BIG.
3. He realized his affect on his team and apologized for it. A few years ago, he pretty
much did just the opposite.

What I take away from that is this kid seems to be growing up, but still makes some immature decisions, in other words, he is a typical early 20 something, but not a knucklehead.

How, I do LOVE your idea of making the kid work back up to that position. GREAT IDEA.

MasterOfPuppets
10-27-2008, 09:57 PM
What were the specifics?? 2 or 3 joints he was busted for?? .joints ??? that man twisted some fatties ........:chuckle:

Police said he acknowledged having marijuana-filled cigars in the SUV.

Preacher
10-27-2008, 10:00 PM
joints ??? that man twisted some fatties ........:chuckle:

CIGARS?

Dang!

SteelCityMan786
10-27-2008, 10:09 PM
He appears to be learning. Now he must prove it.

MasterOfPuppets
10-27-2008, 10:09 PM
CIGARS?

Dang!
dis is how santo rolls....
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/3571/giantjointdk4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

VegasStlrFan
10-27-2008, 10:29 PM
If I get caught smoking pot (like most people) I better have my resume up to date. This guy is a zero in my book, to much trouble. Two things that can't be taught - common sense and work ethic, he's lacking one for sure. He'll be in a Bengals or Cowboys jersey before long. We need to shop him for a good O-lineman.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2008, 10:33 PM
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/3571/giantjointdk4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Cigars....is a very vague word. It can mean a "petite corona" or cigarello, or a 7" long "Churchill".

BUT.....that pic adds a new definition!!! I just hope he wasnt smokin' "Labrador....man" :wink: for you Cheech and Chong fans.

Preacher
10-27-2008, 11:37 PM
:rofl:

Borski
10-28-2008, 01:34 AM
CIGARS?

Dang!

Several articles I read described a joint as a weed filled cigar....I think thats a misleading explanation.

Preacher
10-28-2008, 01:41 AM

What really scares me with this pic...

IS THE CAR KEYS IN HIS HAND!!

I guess, "One for the road." was taken just a little too seriously!

Stylez1877
10-28-2008, 01:43 AM
Marijuana filled cigar would be called a blunt.
A Joint is marijuana rolled up using tabacco rolling papers.

or uh...so I have heard....:popcorn:

Preacher
10-28-2008, 02:50 AM
Marijuana filled cigar would be called a blunt.
A Joint is marijuana rolled up using tabacco rolling papers.

or uh...so I have heard....:popcorn:

Sometimes, its good not to come off as the expert (such as these kind of topics)!

:wink02:

Galax Steeler
10-28-2008, 03:35 AM
I hope Holmes learns from this and his appoligy is sincere I like his play on the field but we can't have this distraction on the field.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Holmes issues apology for arrest
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Steelers captain James Farrior said wide receiver Santonio Holmes has been "reactivated" after apologizing to his teammates Monday for a recent run-in with the law.

If the NFL does not discipline Holmes, who will be charged with a misdemeanor for marijuana possession, the third-year wide receiver should play Monday night when the Steelers visit the Washington Redskins.

The Steelers deactivated Holmes for Sunday's game against the New York Giants after he was pulled over last Thursday and admitted to having a small amount of marijuana in his SUV, according to Pittsburgh police.

Holmes met Monday with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin at the team's South Side practice facility. He also addressed his teammates a day after they lost to the defending Super Bowl champion by seven points without him.

"We all appreciated that," Farrior, the veteran linebacker and defensive captain, said of Holmes' apology in a team meeting. "That meant a lot to us, and we know he really cares about this team.

"As a team captain, I accepted his apology right then because I know what kind of guy Santonio is. He's one of the good guys on the team, so when stuff like this happens you've just got to accept his apology and we've just got to keep going."

The Steelers did not make Holmes available to the media, though he issued an apology through the team.

"I recognize that I made a mistake and understand the significance of my actions," Holmes said in a statement. "I look forward to putting this behind me and to being accepted by my teammates and the fans as part of this team. At this time, I plan to focus all of my efforts on helping our team win on the field and achieve its ultimate goal."

Holmes said he will not address his situation beyond what he said in the two-paragraph news release the Steelers issued.

The NFL could suspend Holmes, 24, for violating the league's substance abuse policy. According to the policy, any player that is convicted of or admits to a drug- or alcohol-related offense is subject to a four-game suspension.

Punishment for violating the substance abuse policy is dictated by a player's past history; this is the first time Holmes has been charged with a drug- or alcohol-related crime.

The NFL declined comment yesterday on Holmes' situation.

Holmes has been arrested twice since the Steelers picked him in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft, but charges for domestic violence and disorderly conduct were later dropped.

Holmes is second on the Steelers in receptions (22), receiving yards (360) and yards per catch (16.4).

Nate Washington started in place of Holmes against the Giants and caught a 65-yard touchdown pass from Ben Roethlisberger.

With the Steelers leading, 14-9, in the third quarter, Washington caught a 53-yard touchdown pass from Roethlisberger. A holding penalty on right tackle Willie Colon, however, negated the play, and Washington said that may have served as a turning point in the game.

"I think after that we kind of looked down on ourselves," Washington said after the Steelers' 21-14 loss, "and kind of started second-guessing ourselves."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_595494.html