PDA

View Full Version : Report: 49ers interested in hiring Condoleezza Rice

SteelersMongol
10-28-2008, 12:28 AM
On the afternoon of January 20, 2009, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will find herself unemployed. She might not be that way for long. Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reported this weekend that the San Francisco 49ers are interested in hiring Rice to serve in a high-level position within the organization.

This is not the first time Rice's name has been bandied about for a gig with the National Football League. She told the New York Times in 2002 that her dream job is to be NFL Commissioner. And Condi's name is still on the short-list of possible candidates to replace Gene Upshaw as executive director of the NFL Player's Association.

Rice is a long-time football fan who grew up rooting for the Cleveland Browns and still manages to catch most games on Sundays. After her term as Secretary of State ends, Rice had been planning to move back to California, where she previously served as Stanford provost (and had a hand in hiring former NFL coach Dennis Green, among others).

How this makes her qualified to run an NFL team is anyone's guess. Still, it's not like the 49ers can get any worse. Maybe throwing a Hail Mary to Condi is what the organization needs in order to get back on track after what will likely be their sixth-straight losing season.

For the record, the 49ers issued a soft rebuttal to Schefter's story, saying:

"We don't respond to rumors. We have our office structure in place."

Sounds like the Niners are spouting the standard non-denial denial of Washington politicians. In that case, should Condi head to the Bay Area, she'll probably feel right at home.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Report-49ers-interested-in-hiring-Condoleezza-R?urn=nfl,117720

Condi 4 Upshaw's post? What you guys think?

MasterOfPuppets
10-28-2008, 06:23 AM
Rice is a long-time football fan who grew up rooting for the Cleveland Brownsnever could put my finger on what i disliked about that woman......now i know....:popcorn:

PolamaluPower
10-28-2008, 06:32 AM
never could put my finger on what i disliked about that woman......now i know....:popcorn:

HA! :rofl:

xfl2001fan
10-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Rice is a long-time football fan who grew up rooting for the Cleveland Browns

She is so much more appealing to me now.

fansince'76
10-29-2008, 01:44 PM
I'd rather see her replace Goodell. Couldn't do a worse job than he's doing.

xfl2001fan
10-29-2008, 01:49 PM
I'd rather see her replace Goodell. Couldn't do a worse job than he's doing.

Why, you think a Brown's fan in that position would be any easier on your Steelers with the stupid fines (Ward) or the lack of them (Rogers late hit)?

Maybe Gooddell is a Browns fan...

If so, I'm jumping ship and going to an NFC team. LOL

fansince'76
10-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Why, you think a Brown's fan in that position would be any easier on your Steelers with the stupid fines (Ward) or the lack of them (Rogers late hit)?

Shows just how dissatisfied as a football fan (disregarding my team allegiance here for a moment) I am with the job Goodell's doing. I don't like the way he coddled the Pats*, I don't like the way the ownership structure of the Steelers just all of a sudden became a "problem" after HE became commish considering the status quo had been just fine for about 2 decades since Art Sr.'s death (but the Packers' ownership structure continues to be OK by him), and I don't like the way he's trying to pussify the game as a whole through punitive fines for playing the game the way it was meant to be played, and at the same time ignoring truly egregious actions that are actually deserving of those fines, among other things. IMO, he's been a horrible commissioner and the sooner he goes, the better off the league will be for it.

klick81
10-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Keep her claws away from anything NFL related, please.

steelreserve
10-29-2008, 03:09 PM
At least she has some football credibility from the fact that the gap in her front teeth is wide enough to practice kicking field goals through.

stlrtruck
10-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Shows just how dissatisfied as a football fan (disregarding my team allegiance here for a moment) I am with the job Goodell's doing. I don't like the way he coddled the Pats*, I don't like the way the ownership structure of the Steelers just all of a sudden became a "problem" after HE became commish considering the status quo had been just fine for about 2 decades since Art Sr.'s death (but the Packers' ownership structure continues to be OK by him), and I don't like the way he's trying to pussify the game as a whole through punitive fines for playing the game the way it was meant to be played, and at the same time ignoring truly egregious actions that are actually deserving of those fines, among other things. IMO, he's been a horrible commissioner and the sooner he goes, the better off the league will be for it.

If you don't mind, I'm going to plagerize some of this in my next letter to him.

cowboykilla
10-29-2008, 10:31 PM
She has the face of a linebacker so why not.

MasterOfPuppets
10-29-2008, 10:49 PM
At least she has some football credibility from the fact that the gap in her front teeth is wide enough to practice kicking field goals through.
:toofunny:..... GOTTA BE RELATED TO STRAHAN. !!!