PDA

View Full Version : Eli victim of Steelers' lip-reading skills

mesaSteeler
10-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Eli victim of Steelers' lip-reading skills
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/1244926,CST-SPT-nflsep28.article
October 28, 2008

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers knew what the New York Giants would do before 264-pound running back Brandon Jacobs was stopped on a key goal-line play early in the second quarter of the Giants' 21-14 victory Sunday at Heinz Field.

The tipster? Giants quarterback Eli Manning.

Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel overheard Manning mouthing the play call and lined up the defense before Jacobs was stopped inches short of the goal line on fourth-and-one. The goal-line stand -- Jacobs failed on three consecutive plays to get in from the 1 -- temporarily preserved the Steelers' 7-3 lead.

''I was watching Eli's lips the whole time, and I saw him say, '32,''' Keisel said. ''So I went over and tried to tell everyone, 'It's right here,' and we stopped it. That was a big play in the game.''

Asked if he heard Manning yell out the play call, Keisel said, ''Yeah.''

By hearing ''32,'' Keisel deduced the Giants would run the ball behind right guard Chris Snee.

''I'm guessing it's the 2-drop, which is right off center-guard,'' Keisel said. ''And that's the play they ran, and we stopped them. I'm proud of our defense. Our defense played their tails off.''

Giants coach Tom Coughlin challenged the spot, and television replays appeared to show Jacobs getting the ball across the goal line before he was stopped. But the ruling on the field was upheld after review.

''I was in,'' Jacobs said. ''I guess they didn't get the right [TV] angle [on the replay].''

AP
Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

(I wish the Steelers had not talked about this. After all we could have used it against another team. - mesa)

Steeldude
10-28-2008, 08:13 AM
so it was keisel reading the QB's lips that stopped the play.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin challenged the spot, and television replays appeared to show Jacobs getting the ball across the goal line before he was stopped. But the ruling on the field was upheld after review.

the TV replay did not show the ball crossing the goal line before he was stopped.

SteelersMongol
10-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Kudos 2 our mighty def. Great work.

X-Terminator
10-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Eli has to know better than that. The D is looking for anything to give them an edge, so why wouldn't you be more careful when calling out your plays in the huddle? (I'm guessing this was while he was in the huddle.) At any rate, it's a nice job by Keisel to pick it up and the D for making it count and preventing the TD.

steelpride12
10-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Keisel stepped up big in the game, and reading lips or not he stood out on defense for us.

Even witht the loss, the defense for 3 good periods shut out the giants in every catigory, and held Jacobs to only 39 yards rushing.

STEELtownHAVOX
10-28-2008, 09:48 AM
maybe this is why Big Ben covers his mouth when he's calling the play.

The Duke
10-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Best play of the game definitely

sory nate, nice catch and all, but a goal line stand is way better'

Eli has to know better than that. The D is looking for anything to give them an edge, so why wouldn't you be more careful when calling out your plays in the huddle? (I'm guessing this was while he was in the huddle.) At any rate, it's a nice job by Keisel to pick it up and the D for making it count and preventing the TD

yeah, eli should be more careful. who knows, maybe the D was expecting a play action...

anyway....seeing both hoke and hampton out there made me certain it wasn't going to cross :tt02:

KeiselPower99
10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Anyone else think Eli looked a lil slow when he was looking towards the sideline??? He might have a lil too much of the Mississippi in him.

stillers4me
10-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Looky there.......no video camera involved.

SteelersMongol
10-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Looky there.......no video camera involved.

:chuckle: Damn Cheatriots.

verks36
10-28-2008, 08:38 PM
read the article

good read thats eli fault