PDA

View Full Version : Coach Chin's name comes up again

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-28-2008, 11:08 AM
COACH CHIN SHOWING SOME LEG TO JERRY? (this would be a travisty)
profootballtalk.com
another article
http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2008/Oct/28/snyder-called-cowher/

Posted by Mike Florio on October 28, 2008, 11:51 a.m. EDT
As names like Jim Haslett begin to percolate to the top of the list of names of potential head coaching candidates for the coming hiring cycle, former Steelers coach Bill Cowher could be making an effort to ensure that his name remains in circulation for any potential vacancies.

Why else would Cowher have told David Elfin of the Washington Times that Cowher was contacted by the Redskins after former coach Joe Gibbs retired in January? (At the press conference announcing Gibbs’ retirement, Redskins owner Daniel Snyder denied speaking Cowher. But it’s possible that the communications came thereafter.)

“We talked,” Cowher told Elfin. “It was a good talk. I was very flattered, but I expressed that it wasn’t the right time.”

Elfin also reports that Cowher, 51, reiterated he has no plans to return to coaching. Of course, a truck full of money might make it the “right time” to reconsider.

And the man to watch in this regard is Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

If the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs, or if they go one-and-out yet again, look for Jones to have the same kind of epiphany that prompted him to hand the keys to Bill Parcells nearly six years ago.

Jones once thought enough of Cowher to hire his offensive coordinator, Chan Gailey, to be the Cowboys’ head coach. Haslett, another member of the official Cowher coaching Chia Pet, undoubtedly got Jones’ attention nine days ago when the overmatched Rams overpowered the Cowboys.

With Cowher now available, and with Jones getting ready to christen a billion-dollar stadium, Jones’ impulsive nature could prompt him to plunk down whatever it takes to get Cowher to give it another go.

For now, it’s unknown what Jones will eventually do. From Cowher’s perspective, however, it doesn’t hurt to remind Jones and anyone else who might be looking for a new coach remembers that Cowher is still around.

MACH1
10-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't know if Cowher could or would want to coach in dallas with Jones butting in and and playing coach/owner. I just don't see Cowher putting up with it.

Dino 6 Rings
10-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Cowher should coach the Vikings after they fire their coach at years end or the Chargers after Norv gets the boot this season.

stlrtruck
10-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Question is does Cowher want to risk his legacy by going to a team for 3-5 years only to be fired because the players didn't return the favor of a Super Bowl trophy and the owners weren't named Rooney!?

fansince'76
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't know if Cowher could or would want to coach in dallas with Jones butting in and and playing coach/owner. I just don't see Cowher putting up with it.

:iagree: What he said.

tony hipchest
10-28-2008, 03:01 PM
i hate to say this cause i live in the middle of cowboy country (and by that i mean the ENTIRE region east of san diego, west of new orleans, and south of denver/kansas city) but i dont think there would be any more attractive job for cowher out there.

assuming location isnt a factor in him coming back, he would be an absolute king in dallas. i think he would instantly be more popular than any other coach besides landry. he would bring j. jones credibility.

jones would respect him more than he did parcels cause cowher would instantly show him more respect.

he would have all the ingridients to build a winner, plus the owner would probably be willing to give him a few million more than the next highest paid coach.

i would hate to see it. that would be just as strange as landry coaching the steelers or noll with the cowboys.

KeiselPower99
10-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Dont see Cowher coaching the Cowboys sorry.

xfl2001fan
10-28-2008, 03:41 PM
I think location is pretty much evertyhing and wonder if he isn't waiting for Carolina to open up.

Sith Lord
10-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Jason Garrett is the next coach of the cowboys. This article is nonsense.

revefsreleets
10-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Wait a few months. Crenell is the most expendable coach in the NFL right now, and Cowher is what makes him expendable.

You guys all think I'm crazy, but Cowher's going to Cleveland. I've been thinking about it more lately. The FO will give him whatever he wants, they'll pay him 10-12 mil a year, and he can deliver a big FU to the Steelers if he can win there. It's the ultimate challenge. Take a seriously flawed team, a cursed team, and make them winners, renew the rivalry, and prove to the Rooney's that he really WAS worth all that money.

Cleveland will spend whatever he wants on whatever players he wants, too....he has a chance to prove that he knows more than the Rooney's as well.

SteelCityMan786
10-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Cowher likes being behind the desk too much to comeback.

xfl2001fan
10-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Wait a few months. Crenell is the most expendable coach in the NFL right now, and Cowher is what makes him expendable.

You guys all think I'm crazy, but Cowher's going to Cleveland. I've been thinking about it more lately. The FO will give him whatever he wants, they'll pay him 10-12 mil a year, and he can deliver a big FU to the Steelers if he can win there. It's the ultimate challenge. Take a seriously flawed team, a cursed team, and make them winners, renew the rivalry, and prove to the Rooney's that he really WAS worth all that money.

Cleveland will spend whatever he wants on whatever players he wants, too....he has a chance to prove that he knows more than the Rooney's as well.

As much as I might enjoy that scenario, I have serious doubts that it would come close to working out that way. Even if we could get him to come out of retirement and replace Crennel, there's still issues with our coordinators and our medical staph that need to be resolved before any kind of turn around could happen.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-28-2008, 07:58 PM
As much as I might enjoy that scenario, I have serious doubts that it would come close to working out that way. Even if we could get him to come out of retirement and replace Crennel, there's still issues with our coordinators and our medical staph that need to be resolved before any kind of turn around could happen.

Cowher would replace two people in Cleveland: Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage.

RAC would go back to being a defensive coordinator somewhere.

Phil Savage would probally end up the new GM of the Detroit Lions.

Those issues with coordinators would be nonexistant. If he doesn't like the coordinator, he's out. He'll bring in someone else. Maybe he could even get Dick LeBeau to leave Pittsburgh and join him in Cleveland (God forbid).

There is only one true ideal fit for Bill Cowher, and that's in Cleveland.

Randy Lerner will give him all power over player personnel. Lerner will gladly pay him $10-12M a year.

The Browns already run a 3-4 scheme. They have a good young QB in Quinn, and possible trade bait if Anderson can get his shit together.

I don't see Cowher coaching in Dallas because of Jerry Jones. Jones won't sit back and just write the checks, while Cowher makes personnel desicions. Jason Garret will be the guy replacing Wade Phillips, Jones ain't paying Garret that much money to call offensive plays.

And I also don't see Cowher going to San Diego. I don't see their owner wanting to fire their GM or take a lot of player personnel desicions away from him and giving them to Cowher.

And as for Carolina, the only way that job opens up is if the Panthers collapse and miss the playoffs. With they way they are playing, they could win the South and at least get a wild card.

silver & black
10-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Cowher should coach the Vikings after they fire their coach at years end or the Chargers after Norv gets the boot this season.

:thmbdown:

Dino 6 Rings
10-30-2008, 11:55 AM
:thmbdown:

A silver and black fan not wanting Cowher in San Diego. I'm not surprised LOL!

revefsreleets
10-30-2008, 04:03 PM
They'd never pay for him anyway.

Glace
11-02-2008, 08:12 AM
You're all wrong. Cowher is going to be the next coach of Penn State when Paterno retires!!!

Ok, maybe not. But I wish it were so. I really miss that big jaw chewing out players and showering them with spit.

No doubt that Jerry Jones would try to throw a lot of money at him, but Cowher wouldn't put up with Jones' crap. On the other hand, I have a Dallas fan in my office. He hates the idea that Cowher could coach the cowgirls.

I don't know though. I'm half inclined to believe him when he says he's finished with coaching. He had his opportunities for a comeback and didn't take them. Coaching the Redskins wouldn't have been a bad gig for him but he didn't want it.

ricksteelers55
11-04-2008, 01:27 AM
What about we fire Kevin Colbert and we give Coach Chin the Director of football operation job ?

revefsreleets
11-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Crennel is all but out in Cleveland. Cowher's phone is ringing, and it's the Browns FO.

10+ million a year and he's headed to Cleveland next year...

Hines0wnz
11-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Cowher will not go to Dallas.

SCSTILLER
11-05-2008, 01:29 PM

Like the medical staph hint.

I cannot see Cowher in Dallas, I truly beleive him and J.Jones would butt heads so much that it wouldn't even be funny. Heck, Cowher won the battle with Donahoe in Pittsburgh, and that is on a small scale compared to what he would be dealing with in J.Jones.

Would hate to see him coaching the Browns. Granted, i could see it happening, but I don't think it will happen.

The rumor mill in the Carolina's has him coaching the Panthers in 2 years. Was beleiving them for awhile, then Fox turned the team around, and it seems like his job is safe. Cowher said he wanted to be close to family, and it doesn't get much closer in the NFL than the Panthers. Plus, he would feel like he was in Pittsburgh again when the Panthers and Steelers play in Charlotte with all the Terrible Towels that are waved when the Steelers play there :tt:

XxKnightxX
11-07-2008, 09:23 AM
:applaudit: I heard that ESPNs john clayton mentioned that brady quinn move as an act to save crennels job and mentioned how if crennel failed that he would get fired and Cowher might be in the outlook. Personally, I WOULD BE IN DISGUST IF COWHER EVER COACHES THE BROWNS, NO EXCUSES, I love him but who knows once cowher makes himself available, every team will be on his ass to coach their team. I wouldnt mind Cowher coming back to the steelers as some sort of assistant but i doubt that will ever happen . Who knows he can coach the O line.

memphissteelergirl
11-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Cowher likes being behind the desk too much to comeback.

And here I was thinking I was the only one who had that opinion. Nice to know I'm not by myself here! :hug:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2008, 12:13 PM
I think BC comes back in another few seasons. He's gotta miss leading men into battle every sunday.

The desk job and time at home with the wife and kids is a good deal, but it will probably chance in a couple years.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-09-2008, 01:47 PM
The Browns won't get him.

This is coming from someone who's pulling for Lerner to drive a brinks armored car full of cash up to his house in North Carolina.

He's the perfect fit, a guy that is visible in the 1980 "Kardiac Kids" highlight tape making a tackle in the Red Right 88 game. He was also on the coaching staff of the Bernie Kosar era Browns, and from the looks of watching both he seemed to enjoy playing/coaching here. Even the radio analyst for the Browns, Doug Dieken, was room mates with him during training camps, and are actually still friends to this day. He would understand the Rivalry, having seen it from both sides, and could very well bring it back to life.

I really see him quietly declining the job in January though.

revefsreleets
11-09-2008, 03:15 PM
If he's offered the job, and the money is right, AND he gets the GM job or first right of refusal in personnel decision making, he'll be the Cleveland coach.

The Browns, and every other team, know exactly what he wants, therefore, if they make a serious offer, he'll accept.

The only way he turns the offer down is if he doesn't get everything he wants.

He can have a another 10 year coaching run and then go back to the desk...