PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Offense is slow

Steelthe#1dynasty
10-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Nobody in the National Football League does less with more. I've been watching Steelers football since 91' and it is just painful to watch our slow lethargic offense move down the football field. God damn it takes them a long @ss to line up and call a play. No audibles to relinquish the pressure? How about when the defense calls a jailbreak that we throw to our RB'? Just a thought! This offense is so predictable, it is pathetic. Sorry, I am just so frustrated that we lay an egg when we play a quality opponent. It seemed as though most of these big games are always within our grasp but we always seem to come up short. By the way, I am still not sold on Ben Roth in the big games. I will give him credit where credit is due (i.e., 05' playoff run to the Super Bowl).

It seems as though if our offense does get into a rhythm early, the coaches shut it down. Our offense is definitely a timing offense and must run on high octane fuel for 60 minutes. I disagree with the coaches shutting down the passing game. I do miss having a power back that can knock LB's on their @ss.

Edman
10-28-2008, 01:03 PM
And yet, we are 5-2.:coffee:

steelwall
10-28-2008, 01:06 PM
I think......keeping your offence on the feild as long as you can is a good thing..... Time of possesion......ring a bell....

devilsdancefloor
10-28-2008, 01:24 PM
the offense seems to lull themselves to sleep at times they look great between the 20's then mental breakdowns happen. It kills me i normally yell at the TV! You are not sold on ben wtf better get used to him he will be our QB for the next decade or more!:champs::champs: ben gave us one for the thumb bah :banging::banging: I'd take ben over ANY other QB out there right now! :yap::yap::yap:

X-Terminator
10-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Wrong forum, dude.

xfl2001fan
10-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Is this guy actually a Steelers fan? Cuz, wow.

fansince'76
10-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Nobody in the National Football League does less with more.

3 words: San Diego Chargers. :coffee:

SteelerFanInCA
10-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Wow!

OneForTheToe
10-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I've been watching Steelers football since 91' and it is just painful to watch ....

Enough said. You weren't around in the eighties, I see.

You ain't seen nothing (literally) until you have seen the likes of Cliff Stout, Bloody Blister, Mark Malone (although he had two great receivers to throw too in Stallworth and Lipps), Scott Cambell, ect, ect ect, - throwing to the likes of Dwight Stone (hands) and Weedgie Thompson. :coffee:

Edit to add: I can't believe I forgot David Woodley.

Also, for the record, we had to walk up hill both ways to get to and from the games at Three Rivers, in out barefeet in three foot og snow. So there.:old:

BritishSteel
10-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Cliff Stout, Bloody Blister, Mark Malone (although he had two great receivers to throw too in Stallworth and Lipps), Scott Cambell, ect, ect ect, - throwing to the likes of Dwight Stone (hands) and Weedgie Thompson. :coffee:

There goes thousands of pounds worth of therapy...

Mark Malone....:shake01:

ljk2442
10-28-2008, 04:48 PM
The biggest concern that the Steelers have is protecting the QB... I dont care if Ben holds onto it too long... but I think we need to quit worrying... last week we had odds against us without Cheech and Holmes... Holmes is a stud... he is the slant route, he is the quick out... the playmaker... we all love hines as the guy... but he can't take it for six everytime he touches the ball... we need to utilize the speed the steelers have... i.e. holmes, and nate washington... (nice big play reciever)...

BUT despite my ramblin' i miss Jerome Bettis and the Steelers ability to take a small lead and eat the clock and slowly grind it out, our defense is stellar, maybe the best we have ever seen...in all honesty...

i think we need to part ways with bruce arians... the scripted plays are not cutting it.... at all... he just makes no sense at alll... at all...

steelpride12
10-28-2008, 08:48 PM

Wow after one small loss and counting 4 threads on nothing more than Fire him, trade him, Steelers suck! :coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2008, 12:08 AM
There goes thousands of pounds worth of therapy...

Mark Malone....:shake01:

I actually liked Mark Malone.....as a WR.

Its Kent Graham that killed me. What about Jim Miller, Mike Quinn or Mike Tomczak??

I guess the OP is advocating a no huddle run n' shoot offense :dualies:

SunshineMan21
10-29-2008, 02:41 AM
I have problems with the offense too . . . but a one-touchdown loss against the NYG seems to be generating a little more heat than I would have expected . . .

jjpro11
10-29-2008, 02:54 AM
it feels like we dont run enough timing routes, that or we just really suck at executing them.. our pass plays nearly all take 5+ seconds to develop because the plays call for the receivers run down field and try to improvise too much. ben rarely, if ever makes throws before the receiver finishes his route. you see curl routes and slants from peyton manning when he would release the ball before his receivers even broke their routes. i dont think the chemistry is there for some reason with ben and the receivers.

its hard to explain.. but instead of throwing the ball to receivers in stride, ben has a habit of letting them finish off their routes and then let them improvise while he evades blitzing defenses.

Steelthe#1dynasty
10-31-2008, 12:31 AM
I think......keeping your offence on the feild as long as you can is a good thing..... Time of possesion......ring a bell....

Sure, but marching down the field and eating 7 minutes off the clock for a field goal is less than stellar.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Sure, but marching down the field and eating 7 minutes off the clock for a field goal is less than stellar.

Yeah, I guess the Giants are apologizing all week for the 4 FG's and clock eating drives they had last week :wink02: I'm sure the media and NFL wants them to win in a more "stellar" manner.

They dont ask you "how did you win?".......they ask you "How Many Wins Do You Have?"

Steelers Since '75
10-31-2008, 12:46 PM
I have problems with the offense too . . . but a one-touchdown loss against the NYG seems to be generating a little more heat than I would have expected . . .

It is the way we lost that makes this one sting so much... our defense looked great for that whole game and then to have a bad snap and 4th quarter TD sink us was a little too much to take... we should have easily beat the Giants. If it hadn't been for Colon's hold that game was over on that Nate TD. Ben has got to get his timing down better... he looks completely lost after the snap until he scrambles and someone improvises... it is like he can't read the routes until his WR's stop and turn to him... you rarely ever see him release the ball when his receivers are in stride. One other EPIC FAIL for Arians is his inability to get Heath involved... why have all these gimmicky 3 TE sets when you never throw to the TE...

Steeldude
10-31-2008, 01:23 PM

one could also say...

5-0 vs. teams with an average winning % of .333

0-2 vs. teams with an average winning % of .714

:wink02:

Steeldude
10-31-2008, 01:26 PM
If it hadn't been for Colon's hold that game was over on that Nate TD

if he didn't hold the defender BR might not have gotten that pass off.

maybe the steelers will meet them in the SB.

LVSteelersfan
10-31-2008, 01:40 PM
I actually liked Mark Malone.....as a WR.

Its Kent Graham that killed me. What about Jim Miller, Mike Quinn or Mike Tomczak??

I guess the OP is advocating a no huddle run n' shoot offense :dualies:
Hey Mark Malone has one thing going for him. He is the only quarterback in the NFL who could enter a Tom Selleck look alike contest. BWAHAHAHAHAHA

I agree to a point with the OP. I don't know why our WRs have such a hard time getting open that Ben has to double pump on almost every play when the pressure is on. QUIT RUNNING ALL THOSE DAMN DEEP ROUTES and Ben will look like the Pro Bowler that he is.