PDA

View Full Version : Retkofsky signed as long snapper

steelerstrade
10-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers could sign more than a long-snapper this week to replace injured Greg Warren. They have also brought in a punter to possibly replace hobbled Mitch Berger.

Ricky Schmitt, who worked out for the team the week of the Sept. 14 game in Cleveland, could sign with the Steelers if Berger is unable to punt against the Washington Redskins because of a hamstring injury in his left leg.

Also, free safety Ryan Clark, who sustained a dislocated shoulder against the New York Giants, is not expected to play against the Washington Redskins. However, it is not known how long he will be sidelined with the injury.

The Steelers have brought in four candidates to replace long-snapper Greg Warren, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee against the Giants and will not play the remainder of the season. Among the candidates: Jared Retkofsky, who was with the Steelers in training camp as a rookie free agent.

Schmitt, who played at Shepherd University, a Division II school near Washington, D.C., signed with the Arizona Cardinals as a rookie free agent in 2007 and was waived at the end of training camp.

He was signed by the San Francisco 49ers this season and waived again at the end of training camp. Schmitt is a left-footed punter.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Just got the alert from KDKA...Jared Retkofsky signed.

Carolina Steelers
10-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Damn I was beat by 2 mins.

KeiselPower99
10-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Figured he would be the guy

KeiselPower99
10-28-2008, 02:46 PM
That wouldnt happen to be the might Shepard Rams of the WVIAC would it???

stlrtruck
10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
That wouldnt happen to be the might Shepard Rams of the WVIAC would it???

That would be them. The Mighty Rams, last time I checked they were still coached by Coach Monty. Also, they've got one heck of a crazy strength and conditioning coach there too - Pete Yurish.

Preacher
10-28-2008, 02:54 PM
They way this season has gone...

That snapper... will somehow make a great play and win a game for us... then get injured in the next game. I just don't get it! :hunch:

stillers4me
10-28-2008, 05:35 PM
What? James didn't get the job? :chuckle:

DACEB
10-28-2008, 05:49 PM
What? James didn't get the job? :chuckle:

That is sooooo wrong!

steelpride12
10-28-2008, 08:44 PM
James is not gonna be able to sleep for awhile.

Steelman16
10-29-2008, 12:41 AM
James is not gonna be able to sleep for awhile.

After seeing the brooding look in James' eye during the game after that blunder, I think it's a safe bet to say he'll shake heaven and earth against the Redskins.

I'm ready to see the Blitzhounds rebound from a sackless night. :tt02:

Is it really such a big deal if a guy's a left footed punter? Isn't Sep a lefty too?

Rhee Rhee
10-29-2008, 02:49 AM
Figured he would be the guy

at first i was thinking legursky...

Galax Steeler
10-29-2008, 03:51 AM
I don't know much about him but hopefully he can get the job done injuries have been a big problem for us this year.

Leftoverhard
10-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Anyone want a longsnapper sig?

GBMelBlount
10-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Anyone want a longsnapper sig?

Sure Leftover, that's actually been on my Christmas list for years! You must be psychic! :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
10-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Id rather have Legursky but if this dude has experiance then Im all for it. On the topic of the Shepard Rams I saw them play Glenville St a few years ago and if this is the same punter he was booming the ball. Im happy to give this kid a chance.

Leftoverhard
10-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Sure Leftover, that's actually been on my Christmas list for years! You must be psychic! :chuckle:

:laughing: I'm seriously going to make one.

steelerstrade
11-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Id rather have Legursky but if this dude has experiance then Im all for it. On the topic of the Shepard Rams I saw them play Glenville St a few years ago and if this is the same punter he was booming the ball. Im happy to give this kid a chance.

Yes, I saw Shepard play a few times myself when I worked for the Hagerstown Suns as well, booming punter and seemed to make every field goal as well. :tt:

SteelMember
11-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Jared looked to be getting man-handled out there, but he got the job done. I don't think you could even attribute the missed point after. It appeared to be a good snap.

Was anyone thinking of him when we had to punt from our own enzone? I know I was.

Nice Job Jared. :thmbup: