PDA

View Full Version : Has Rod Woodson..

NJarhead
10-28-2008, 06:55 PM
..ever indicated under who's colors he'll go into the HOF with?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08302/923509-100.stm

I'm sure we'd all hate to see him go in as anything but a Steeler.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-28-2008, 07:06 PM
The Football HoF isn't like the Baseball HoF.

In the Football HoF, you don't go in as a member of a certain team. All teams you play for are listed, however it does give the team of most contribution.

NJarhead
10-28-2008, 07:19 PM
The Football HoF isn't like the Baseball HoF.

In the Football HoF, you don't go in as a member of a certain team. All teams you play for are listed, however it does give the team of most contribution.

I didn't realize that. If that's true then I hope there's a overwhelming number of Steelers fans in the crowd to drown out any purple. :tt02:

Edman
10-28-2008, 07:23 PM
He'll want to go in as a Steeler, but the league will designate him as a Rat. The whole Super Bowl 35 biz, and the ridiculous notion that there are too many Steelers in the Hall.

God, I flipping hate the Baltimore Rats.

tony hipchest
10-28-2008, 07:35 PM
he announced a few years ago, hes going in as a steeler. rod in 09 along with bruce smith and shannon sharpe. :tt02: looking at the rest of the class, they all should get in 1st try.

Steeler in Carolina
10-28-2008, 08:09 PM
He will always be known as a Steeler.

Mamaduck43
10-28-2008, 08:37 PM
For what it is worth, when he played in the 'old-timers' flag football games during Pro Bowl week festivities in Honolulu, he wore his Steelers jersey every time.....

No matter what, he will always be a Steeler in my mind....

slippy
10-28-2008, 09:35 PM
i'm still sad that rod didn't play for us for a few more years. he is one of my favorite alltime steelers.

he was a bright spot on some mediocre late 80's teams and a superstar on the great 90's teams.

we still love ya rod. i'm glad you finally got a ring even though it was for the enemy.

jjpro11
10-28-2008, 10:03 PM
oh man.. i didnt realize he was already up for nomination.. i hope he goes in first ballot. being on the all century team has to mean something. i will be there front and center with my woodson jersey and terrible towel. it will be ridiculous to see the number of steelers fans when he and bettis go in.

Galax Steeler
10-29-2008, 03:37 AM
I hope he don't go in as a rat bird he needs to go in as a steeler look at all the good years he had in the burgh.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2008, 09:30 AM
oh man.. i didnt realize he was already up for nomination.. i hope he goes in first ballot. being on the all century team has to mean something. i will be there front and center with my woodson jersey and terrible towel. it will be ridiculous to see the number of steelers fans when he and bettis go in.

I know. It makes me feel old.

I remember when Rod decided to pass up the Olympic trials in the 100 hurdles to enter the draft. I think he was the guy that put up the most reps at 225lbs in the combine his year......just a workout machine.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Steelers' Woodson among '09 nominees for Pro Hall of Fame
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Post-Gazette file photoRod Woodson

Former Steelers great Rod Woodson and Buffalo defensive end Bruce Smith, both eligible for the first time, highlight the 133 nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2009, released yesterday.

Woodson would be the first post-Steel Curtain-era Steelers player inducted into the Hall of Fame and the first since John Stallworth was inducted in 2002. He was voted to the NFL's prestigious all-75th anniversary team and played 17 seasons as a cornerback and safety in the NFL.

He played his first 10 seasons as a cornerback with the Steelers, then left as a free agent and played with San Francisco, Baltimore and Oakland, winning a Super Bowl ring with the Ravens.

Woodson made the Pro Bowl 11 times and his 71 career interceptions rank third all time in the NFL.

Hall of Fame selectors will whittle the list to 25 modern-era semifinalists next month, then to 15 finalists. A final vote will take place Jan. 31, when between four and seven members are selected from the 15 finalists and two senior nominees, Bob Hayes and Claude Humphrye. Former Steelers center Dermontti Dawson, linebackers Kevin Greene and Hardy Nickerson, personnel director Art Rooney Jr. and coach Buddy Parker are repeat nominees, as are former Pitt linemen Russ Grimm and Mark May and linebacker Rickey Jackson.

The complete list of nominees

First-Year Eligible Nominees:

Running Backs -- Larry Centers, Brian Mitchell (also KR/PR)

Tight Ends -- Shannon Sharpe, Frank Wycheck

Offensive Tackle -- Lincoln Kennedy

Defensive Linemen -- John Randle (DE/DT), Bruce Smith (DE), Dana Stubblefield (DT)

Linebacker -- Jessie Armstead

Defensive Backs -- Darren Woodson (S), Rod Woodson (CB/S)

Additional Nominees

Quarterbacks -- Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Jim Plunkett, Phil Simms, Ken Stabler, Joe Theismann, Doug Williams

Running Backs -- Ottis Anderson, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Greg Pruitt (also KR/PR), Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

Wide Receivers -- Cliff Branch, Harold Carmichael, • Cris Carter, Wes Chandler, Gary Clark, Isaac Curtis, Henry Ellard, Irving Fryar, Roy Green, Harold Jackson, Herman Moore, Stanley Morgan, • Andre Reed, Sterling Sharpe

Tight Ends -- Mark Bavaro, Todd Christensen, Ben Coates, Russ Francis, Brent Jones, Steve Jordan

Offensive Linemen -- Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Jim Covert (T), Randy Cross (G/C), Dave Dalby (C), Dermontti Dawson (C), Ray Donaldson (C), • Russ Grimm (G), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Kent Hill (G/T), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), • Bob Kuechenberg (G), Jim Lachey (T), Henry Lawrence (G/T), Mark May (G/T/C), • Randall McDaniel (G), Max Montoya (G), Marvin Powell (T), Steve Wisniewski (G)

Defensive Linemen -- Ray Childress (DT/DE), • Richard Dent (DE), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), Carl "Big Daddy" Hairston (DE/DT), Charles Haley (DE/LB), Ed "Too Tall" Jones (DE), Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Steve McMichael (DT/NT), Leslie O'Neal (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT), Art Still (DE)

Linebackers -- Cornelius Bennett, Robert Brazile, Kevin Greene (LB/DE), Ken Harvey, Rickey Jackson, Tom Jackson, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Hardy Nickerson, Chris Spielman, Pat Swilling, Darryl Talley, • Derrick Thomas

Defensive Backs -- Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Deron Cherry (S), Raymond Clayborn (CB), Kenny Easley (S), Lester Hayes (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), Ken Riley (CB), Eugene Robinson (S), Donnie Shell (S), Louis Wright (CB)

Punters/Kickers -- Rich Camarillo (P), • Ray Guy (P), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P)

Special Teams-- Steve Tasker

Coaches -- Don Coryell, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Dan Reeves, Clark Shaughnessy

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08303/923581-66.stm

stlrtruck
10-29-2008, 11:57 AM
From the additional list I like:
Steve Tasker
Jim Plunkett
Ken Stabler
Mark Bavaro
Todd Christensen
Cris Carter
Gary Clark
Randy Cross
Dermonti Dawson
Russ Grimm
Joe Jacoby
Richard Dent
Ed "Too Tall" Jones
Joe Klecko
Steve McMichael
Kevin Greene
Clay Matthews
Karl Mecklenburg
Hardy Nickerson
Derrick Thomas
Eric Allen
Steve Atwater
Lester Hayes
Donnie Shell
Ray Guy
Reggie Roby

I know they can't all make it but from what I remember of their careers, they were a definitive player in their position. As for the coaches maybe Dan Reeves and Jimmy Johnson

Steel Warrior
10-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Here's the rules for the HOF:

NOTE: In this listing - a Hall of Famer is named under all clubs on which he made his primary contribution to professional football - (i.e. - Chuck Noll is listed under Pittsburgh as a coach - but not under Cleveland as a player). Hall of Famers who made the major part of their primary contribution for any one club are listed in BOLD CAPS. In cases where a player contributed about equally and in a major way to two or more clubs - he is listed in BOLD CAPS under both clubs (ie. Nick Buoniconti is listed with both the Patriots and Dolphins as his primary teams). Hall of Famers who spent only a minor portion of their career with any club are listed under that club in lower case.

And here's the link:

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/teams.html

I think Rod goes in this year and probably "bold caps" for both the Steelers and Ravens. I think the Ravens get bold caps because of the SB.

steelreserve
10-29-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't really think that most veterans who bounce around from team to team during their last 2-3 years really consider those clubs "their" team. They're just temporary jobs they had to take because the salary cap put them out of work.

On an unrelated note, somehow I don't think Larry Centers is going to make it into the Hall of Fame.

xfl2001fan
10-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Rod will go as a Steeler. Shouldn't even be a question. It will be all CAPS for Pittsburgh (and only Pittsburgh).

Personally, until Ray Guy get's in, I don't want to see anybody else on that list get in (to include former Browns linebacker and fan favorite Clay Matthews)

stlrtruck
10-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Even if he goes in with the ratbirds listed, there will be far more Steelers fans there and he wll probably acknowledge those fans well before any other.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Rod Woodson has always seemed to cherish his days as a Pittsburgh Steeler over his days with any other team.

He may have won a Super Bowl with the Ravens, but his heart was always in Pittsburgh.

This is who I think gets into the HoF in 2009:

Rod Woodson
Shannon Sharpe
Chris Carter
Ray Guy
Jimmy Johnson

silver & black
10-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Rod will go as a Steeler. Shouldn't even be a question. It will be all CAPS for Pittsburgh (and only Pittsburgh).

Personally, until Ray Guy get's in, I don't want to see anybody else on that list get in (to include former Browns linebacker and fan favorite Clay Matthews)

It's a shame Ray Guy isn't in. Maybe this year. Lester Hayes should be there too..Unfortunately, there are a lot of deserving players that should get in, but won't.

silver & black
10-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Even if he goes in with the ratbirds listed, there will be far more Steelers fans there and he wll probably acknowledge those fans well before any other.

He should definitely be recognized as a Steeler when he goes in... but, there will be quite a few Raider fans cheering for him as well. He played hard for us, and we appreciate his time with us. :thumbsup:

CanadianSteel
10-29-2008, 08:51 PM

Me right alond side with you.... looked at my Woodson jersey just the other day when the wife said why do you keep that thing..... Just can't get rid of it and will wear it and hopefully make the trip

Godfather
10-29-2008, 09:08 PM
It's an absolute travesty that Donnie Shell isn't in.

jdsdaguy
01-07-2009, 05:14 AM
so will woodson go in as a steeler, or will he go in as a raven or raider?:coffee:

LambertIsGod58
01-07-2009, 05:28 AM
so will woodson go in as a steeler, or will he go in as a raven or raider?:coffee:

He spent most of his career in Pittsburgh, it would only be right for him to go in a Steeler. But he could go in a Raven due to his SB ring. Or he could pull a Dave Winfield and be paid to go in a 49er or Raider.