PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher should be fired

Go_Cats
12-05-2005, 06:26 PM
He just cant win the big game, year in and year out, the window is closed..time for that team to smarten up and make a change. Yesterdays game was an embarrassment for Pitt. as long as he is the HC they will not win any big games in Pitt. Imagine there was a thread asking if he was a better coach than Shanny this week..that poster should be barred..

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Can anyone name a coach that would make a better fit than Cowher for the steelers.
What coach would anyone like to see take his place????
I say stay with cowher!!!!!!!
anyone else?

Go_Cats
12-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Norm Chow.............

Suitanim
12-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Norm Chow is like 100 years old, and he's not exactly working wonders in Tennessee now, is he?

Did Bill Cowher fumble the ball 4 times yesterday? Did he throw 3 INT's? Did he miss the call on the fumbled Bengal Punt? Did he miss the throw that Ricardo Coclough should have at least knocked down, if not picked off, that ended up in a TJ TD?

No.

Go_Cats
12-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Norm Chow is like 100 years old, and he's not exactly working wonders in Tennessee now, is he?

Did Bill Cowher fumble the ball 4 times yesterday? Did he throw 3 INT's? Did he miss the call on the fumbled Bengal Punt? Did he miss the throw that Ricardo Coclough should have at least knocked down, if not picked off, that ended up in a TJ TD?

No.

Look at what chow has had to work with....... That offense has moved the ball farely well

Chows rep at USC speaks for itself

tony hipchest
12-05-2005, 06:36 PM
lmao! norm chow? you probably thought s. spurrier was great coming out of college too right? or were you only 10 yrs old when washington hired him.

what is hilarious is that bengals finally have their 1st winning season in 15 years and all of a sudden their fans wrote the book on success and winning. time to put down that ich bible you got there. next thing you know youll be bald in an airport wearing a black and orange striped robe.

Go_Cats
12-05-2005, 06:39 PM
lmao! norm chow? you probably thought s. spurrier was great coming out of college too right? or were you only 10 yrs old when washington hired him.

what is hilarious is that bengals finally have their 1st winning season in 15 years and all of a sudden their fans wrote the book on success and winning. time to put down that ich bible you got there. next thing you know youll be bald in an airport wearing a black and orange striped robe.
Spurrier really wasnt given the chance in Wash he was set up to fail under an al davis like owner. Chow is a great coach I would be pissed if the steelers got him

Cowher has had 15 years to do the job and hasnt. Time to move on

Suitanim
12-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Look at what chow has had to work with....... That offense has moved the ball farely well

Chows rep at USC speaks for itself

People have been talking about Chow in the NFL for YEARS...It was kind of a surprise that he was actually finally hired last year. He's far too old to be a HC in the NFL.

What about the rest of my post?

Go_Cats
12-05-2005, 06:43 PM
People have been talking about Chow in the NFL for YEARS...It was kind of a surprise that he was actually finally hired last year. He's far too old to be a HC in the NFL.

What about the rest of my post?

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post, but its always something with Cowher

14 years of excuses

Go_Cats
12-05-2005, 06:46 PM
I dont think he looks that old

http://www.popmatters.com/sports/features/images/050303-normchow.jpg

tony hipchest
12-05-2005, 06:49 PM

Chows rep at USC speaks for itself someone accused you (perhaps falsely) of actually possessing football knowledge. if that were the case i think you would recognize a qb who has led his team to conference titles, playoff wins and a superbowl appearance, 2 promising and young running backs, erron kinney, ben troupe for te's, one of the hottest receivers at the end of last season and a whole core of young prommising wr's. its not like hes working with trash or what san fansisco has got. its kind of like being suprised the lowly cardinals pass for alot of yards with k. warner, a. boldin, and l. fitzgerald. maybe the steelers should hire their offensive co-ordinator

clevestinks
12-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Cats, Hows come you weren`t calling for Cowhers head when we beat you the first time this season, or the past 11 games?

Cowher didn`t hurt Bens thumb or knee, cause him to throw three picks, he didnt make hines Ward fumble and drop a potential td pass. He didn`t make Willie Parker fumble twice. He wasnt the one that told the refs Not to call the fumble early in the game. He didn`t tell our defensive backs not to look back when they had good coverage. He didn`t make Troy drop the interception that would have led to O.T..

He is the one who coached our team to a close game despite all the turnovers and mishaps.
The big difference between your team and ours is HEALTH. We got beat by NE , and we wee pretty healthy, but it was a close game. Jags, we used washed up Tommy and still went to O.T. The ratbirs loss another Tommy game. Then the Indy game Bens first game back, we lost! Then yesterdays game, for sake of an arguement we`ll say we lost although we are banged up. Take away to Tommy Maddox games, that were still close even though that bum was playing. And we would still be tied with you. SO Cowhers isnt to blame for everything. Cowher stays , You Go!

Go_Cats
12-05-2005, 06:55 PM
someone accused you (perhaps falsely) of actually possessing football knowledge. if that were the case i think you would recognize a qb who has led his team to conference titles, playoff wins and a superbowl appearance, 2 promising and young running backs, erron kinney, ben troupe for te's, one of the hottest receivers at the end of last season and a whole core of young prommising wr's. its not like hes working with trash or what san fansisco has got. its kind of like being suprised the lowly cardinals pass for alot of yards with k. warner, a. boldin, and l. fitzgerald. maybe the steelers should hire their offensive co-ordinator

A) McNair has been missed alot of time
B) Bennett has been hurt most of the year
C) B Jones is on IR
C) C. Brown has been dinged
D) Volek sucks
E) Huge salary cap purge
F) That d is terrible
G) This is only week 13 of the chow era not year 14
H) T Henry has missed most of the year

Yet they're still 16th in total offense.

tony hipchest
12-05-2005, 07:02 PM
A) McNair has been missed alot of time
B) Bennett has been hurt most of the year
C) B Jones is on IR
C) C. Brown has been dinged
D) Volek sucks
E) Huge salary cap purge
F) That d is terrible
G) This is only week 13 of the chow era not year 14

Yet they're still 16th in total offense.

and yet you say "that offense has moved the ball {fairly/pretty} well"???? only with the players i have mentionned.

Suitanim
12-05-2005, 07:02 PM
I dont think he looks that old

http://www.popmatters.com/sports/features/images/050303-normchow.jpg

He'll be 60 next year. Crennel is 57, and he's one of the oldest 1st time head coaches ever. Not many 60 year olds are capable of working 100 hour work weeks...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2005, 07:05 PM
I dont know... Ive been a cowher supporter ever since he got here thru all the trials and successes.

His personality fits our team and the players like playing for him..the Rooneys respect him and vice versa. I dont know though how much longer they will hold on when we keep getting so close but just cant get over the hump.

Go_Cats
12-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Cats, Hows come you weren`t calling for Cowhers head when we beat you the first time this season, or the past 11 games?

Cowher didn`t hurt Bens thumb or knee, cause him to throw three picks, he didnt make hines Ward fumble and drop a potential td pass. He didn`t make Willie Parker fumble twice. He wasnt the one that told the refs Not to call the fumble early in the game. He didn`t tell our defensive backs not to look back when they had good coverage. He didn`t make Troy drop the interception that would have led to O.T..

He is the one who coached our team to a close game despite all the turnovers and mishaps.
The big difference between your team and ours is HEALTH. We got beat by NE , and we wee pretty healthy, but it was a close game. Jags, we used washed up Tommy and still went to O.T. The ratbirs loss another Tommy game. Then the Indy game Bens first game back, we lost! Then yesterdays game, for sake of an arguement we`ll say we lost although we are banged up. Take away to Tommy Maddox games, that were still close even though that bum was playing. And we would still be tied with you. SO Cowhers isnt to blame for everything. Cowher stays , You Go!
Its always something with Cowher

His way of coaching has been worn out in Pitt for a few years now and the players just don't play for him anymore. All he can do is coach defense and that D was made a fool of once again. What has he ever won in Pitt? He has never once won the big game and will never do it. Rah rah rah physical can only get you so far. Its all about the X's and O's now and he just does not have it in that department. He has had great teams and not done anything with them..

he has had great players and done nothing with them but let them go in free agency. Sure its not all his fault but you can bet if he wanted to keep more of the stars he has lost they would still be in Pitt. If you Pitt fans don't realize that Cowher is a lame duck coach there then you will never win anything. Until he is gone it will never get any better than it is right now in Pitt. Deal with it cause its FACT. A change of head coahing is needed in Pitt bigtim

Cowher = Schottenheimer

Guys like them will always have a head coach gig. They are good coaches. Unfortunately, they dont have the imagination or balls to take a team from a playoff team to a Super Bowl champion.

Yesterdays loss could likely knock the Steelers out of the playoff chase. Is that a big game for you? KC and SD are 8-4 and Jax is 9-3. All ahead of Pitt with only 2 spots available.

Dont fool yourself, that was a BIG loss by the Steelers. Especially at home. Is next week not a big game? They lose to the Bears and they are D-U-N!!

Cowher is good just not good enough. If you want a SB title, cut ties. If you want a perennially respectable but uninspiring team, keep extending his contract.

tony hipchest
12-05-2005, 07:24 PM
seriously go cats, what great players has cowher let go? keep in mind he has never made these decisions. niel odonnell, l. kirkland, ernie mills, y. thigpen? they were all good steelers, but like many ex-steelers their career was short lived after leaving. the only great player they lost was r. woodson, and to a much lesser extent chad brown and k. green, who along with kirkland and lloyd were all demanding top dollar like just about every other steeler on the 95 sb roster. throw in m. vrabel as another lost but in todays f.a. the team work kolbert and cowher use to let players like bell, burress and 2 o-lineman go and still remain competitive is hard to manage in todays nfl. you will find that out when people want more than just t. spikes and malcontent c. dillon from the bengals.

how did don schula work out for you all?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Next week is a huge game, and now every game is bigger than the next.. so far we havent come through..

cowher seemed dejected, depressed, and just plain frustrated at the way this team has played this year.. especially w/ the expectations from last season of going 15-1. Its disheartening to say the least. I will always support cowher becuz he is my coach and leads my black n gold every week.. but again as I stated earlier the Rooneys are hard nosed and tradionalists ..but even they have got to be frustrated.

Go_Cats
12-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Next week is a huge game, and now every game is bigger than the next.. so far we havent come through..

cowher seemed dejected, depressed, and just plain frustrated at the way this team has played this year.. especially w/ the expectations from last season of going 15-1. Its disheartening to say the least. I will always support cowher becuz he is my coach and leads my black n gold every week.. but again as I stated earlier the Rooneys are hard nosed and tradionalists ..but even they have got to be frustrated.
I agree. Time to move on.

Norm Chow would be a great fit .for the next 5-8 years

tony hipchest
12-05-2005, 08:09 PM

cowher seemed dejected, depressed, and just plain frustrated at the way this team has played this year.. especially w/ the expectations from last season of going 15-1. Its disheartening to say the least. I will always support cowher becuz he is my coach and leads my black n gold every week.. but again as I stated earlier the Rooneys are hard nosed and tradionalists ..but even they have got to be frustrated. then would you rather listen to a bengals fan and hire n. chow, or loosen up as the rooneys and bring in t.o. and r. williams for next season? (very affordable but the price of t.o. and williams would probably increase as soon as other teams saw the steelers were interrested.) theres still 2 t. madoxx led losses and 1 to the patriots that are killing cowher. all were lost on the final play of the game. and for any smart assed bengalfans i know the patriots still had to kick off after they beat the steelers.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-05-2005, 08:12 PM
I would rather Cowher over Chow.....he doesnt impress me and nothing tells me he would do any better than cowher......anyother coach out there that would fit???

BB2W
12-05-2005, 08:19 PM
If the Steelers replaced Cowher I would want them to choose Russ Grimm. I don't know why... I just like the guy.

Go_Cats
12-05-2005, 08:26 PM
If the Steelers replaced Cowher I would want them to choose Russ Grimm. I don't know why... I just like the guy.
The hole point of this is to change the current staff pitt has now. why on earth would you do that?

BB2W
12-05-2005, 08:28 PM
The hole point of this is to change the current staff pitt has now. why on earth would you do that?
You are talkin crazy. :screwy:

Go_Cats
12-05-2005, 08:30 PM
I would rather Cowher over Chow.....he doesnt impress me and nothing tells me he would do any better than cowher......anyother coach out there that would fit???
He has back to back NCs thats more than what cowher has accomplished

figg
12-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Norm Chow.............

homer :rolleyes: Cats is a bandwagon USC fan.

figg
12-05-2005, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=Go_Cats]
A) McNair has been missed alot of time 1 game?
B) Bennett has been hurt most of the year 3 games?
C) B Jones is on IR
C) C. Brown has been dinged Dinged? lol What RB isnt? He played in every game.
D) Volek sucks Volek lit it up with a different OC last year :rolleyes: . He had 18TD's in 10 games.
E) Huge salary cap purge Oh he's the gm now? lol
F) That d is terrible And a DC?
G) This is only week 13 of the chow era not year 14 He's been coaching forever.

Yet they're still 16th in total offense. 16? :busted:

I'd take Charlie Wiess way before Chow!

tony hipchest
12-05-2005, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=Go_Cats]
C) B Jones is on IR
D) Volek sucks Volek lit it up with a different OC last year :rolleyes: . He had 18TD's in 10 games.

I'd take Charlie Wiess way before Chow! damn. that really makes go cats look like he was talkin out his ass.

figg
12-05-2005, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=figg] damn. that really makes go cats look like he was talkin out his ass.

Always check what he posts. He talks out of his ass all the time.

Go_Cats
12-05-2005, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=Go_Cats]
C) B Jones is on IR

I'd take Charlie Wiess way before Chow!

That is probably the most ignorant comments ive seen in a while, but considering the source it doesnt suprise me.

FYI- McNair and Bennett have been injured most of the year, listed as questionable nearly every week but still played. McNair and Bennett are known for being warriors and playing throough injuries McNair has started but hasnt finished a few games due to injury

Volek does suck figg, just look how he did against the cardinals earlier this year. If Volek hadn’t of played shitty defenses all of last year he would have sucked like this year.

And a DC?

btw figg newton chow is not even a defensive coordinator you tool!

And you couldnt get Weiss even if you wanted to. He signed a 10y $40M with the Irish a month ago.

figg
12-06-2005, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=figg]

That is probably the most ignorant comments ive seen in a while, but considering the source it doesnt suprise me.

FYI- McNair and Bennett have been injured most of the year, listed as questionable nearly every week but still played. McNair and Bennett are known for being warriors and playing throough injuries McNair has started but hasnt finished a few games due to injury

Volek does suck figg, just look how he did against the cardinals earlier this year. If Volek hadn?t of played shitty defenses all of last year he would have sucked like this year.

btw figg newton chow is not even a defensive coordinator you tool!

And you couldnt get Weiss even if you wanted to. He signed a 10y $40M with the Irish a month ago.

:busted: I know hes not a DC moron! My point is WTF does a bad defense have to do with him coaching the O? Tool! McNair has been questionable his whole career and has played fine. My point about Volek is he did fine last year with a different OC :rolleyes:

Go_Cats
12-06-2005, 12:34 AM
I know that figg, but look who he faced. Ryan Fitzpatrick let it up against the Texans, does that make him an all pro

Figg go back and look at where the Titans were rated preseason and youll see that they have defied the cretics to be even this good

figg
12-06-2005, 12:37 AM
I know that figg, but look who he faced. Ryan Fitzpatrick let it up against the Texans, does that make him an all pro

Figg go back and look at where the Titans were rated preseason and youll see that they have defied the cretics to be even this good

He played 10 games you dope! 18 td's :rolleyes: FYI the Titans ranked 11th in O last year lol

Go_Cats
12-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Volek is the most overrated Backup QB in the league. Three shootouts at the end of last year have completely disguised his true ability.

Healthy McNair + Chow = Money

Mark my words figg

figg
12-06-2005, 12:56 AM
Volek is the most overrated Backup QB in the league. Three shootouts at the end of last year have completely disguised his true ability.

Healthy McNair + Chow = Money

Mark my words figg

most with McNair=money dope.

SalukiSteelers
12-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Hey Cats, why don't you go somewhere else with that garbage.

Who the hell gave you the right to question our coach? What, you guys split the season with the Steelers and all of a sudden you're a freakin' expert on Pittsburgh coaching?!? Gimme a break!

Why don't you let your guys WIN SOMETHING before you come in here and question our guy. Until then, go post on a Bungholes site. We don't need your smack, here.

If Steelers fans think it's time for Cowher to go, that's one thing. If somebody from the outside thinks they can come in here and call for Cowher's head, that's something totally different.

Way to pile on, dude. How many playoff games have your beloved Cats won in the last, oh I don't know, decade? Pittsburgh lost the world's champs in three of those AFC championship losses. New England, twice, and the Broncos, once.

Strange, I don't remember any losses to Cincy in the playoffs lately. Oh yeah, you have to make the playoffs to knock the Steelers out.

Get lost!

Go_Cats
12-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Cowher is good just not good enough. If you want a SB title, cut ties. If you want a perennially respectable but uninspiring team, keep extending his contract.

The Steelers dont need a guy, who runs the ball 80% of the time giving his RBs plenty of work at the expense of the passing game and the quarterbacks development. Pittsburgh's one dimensional nature under Cowher has led to their demise every season it seems like. His style works fine against most teams but when he has to play teams that force him to pass, the QB is ill prepared to do so due to their lack of preparation and reps during the regular season.

Pittsburgh needs a guy who can develop Ben and make him an elite quarterback, simply put Bill Cowher is not that guy.

Carson Palmer at USC was a much better QB in 2002 due to Chows arrival. The stats dont lie

2001 (Jr.).. 377-221 12 58.6% 2717 13TDS
2002 (Sr.).. 489-309 63.2% 3942 33TDs

Chow is to quarterbacks what Mike Shannahan is to RBs, just look at Carson's success, Leinarts success, and Matt Cassel's success (in the preseason w/NE) for variafication.

Chow would work wonders with Ben.

Suitanim
12-06-2005, 12:20 PM
29-41 for 386 against your defense with a busted up hand sounds elite to me.

Cowher has always lacked a QB, and now he has one. Championships will follow.

Go_Cats
12-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey Cats, why don't you go somewhere else with that garbage.

Who the hell gave you the right to question our coach? What, you guys split the season with the Steelers and all of a sudden you're a freakin' expert on Pittsburgh coaching?!? Gimme a break!

Why don't you let your guys WIN SOMETHING before you come in here and question our guy. Until then, go post on a Bungholes site. We don't need your smack, here.

If Steelers fans think it's time for Cowher to go, that's one thing. If somebody from the outside thinks they can come in here and call for Cowher's head, that's something totally different.

Way to pile on, dude. How many playoff games have your beloved Cats won in the last, oh I don't know, decade? Pittsburgh lost the world's champs in three of those AFC championship losses. New England, twice, and the Broncos, once.

Strange, I don't remember any losses to Cincy in the playoffs lately. Oh yeah, you have to make the playoffs to knock the Steelers out.

Get lost!

Why all the personal bs? Cant we just talk football?

Go_Cats
12-06-2005, 12:42 PM
29-41 for 386 against your defense with a busted up hand sounds elite to me.

Cowher has always lacked a QB, and now he has one. Championships will follow.
yep but with 3 int's, atleast two more that should have been picked off and one at the end of the game for a touchdown. See how far that gets you in the postseason.

Suitanim
12-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Reading comprehension not a strong point with you, eh? Let's try again.

He did all that witha BUSTED UP HAND. Most QB's wouldn't have even played.

Championships will follow.

Koopa
12-06-2005, 03:38 PM
yep but with 3 int's, atleast two more that should have been picked off and one at the end of the game for a touchdown. See how far that gets you in the postseason.

well if you wanna bring up worthless could've had more ints.....why don't you bring up the int that troy dropped, if he didn't drop that game would've been tied and all the momentum on our side and we would've won the game................ but anyway i hate cowher but there is no coach out there that can do a better job, and this loss was not his fault at all, if any coach is to blame it's the special teams coach

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Plain and simple..this is no one available right now to come in and take over and do a better job.... again no one that is AVAILABLE ...

All we can do is keep cheering, and supporting our team and let the Rooneys decide when enough is enough..should it come to that at some point..

Iron City Hangover
12-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Can anyone name a coach that would make a better fit than Cowher for the steelers.
What coach would anyone like to see take his place????
I say stay with cowher!!!!!!!
anyone else?
I love that signature. Where did you get that from? I'm surprised that you are allowed to keep it here. They didn't like my anti-Tommy sig here and deleted it (even though your sig has a larger pixel size that mine did).

SalukiSteelers
12-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Why all the personal bs? Cant we just talk football?

I just kind of take it personally when fans of other teams try to tell the Steelers what to do with their franchise.

Look, if I hurt your feelings I'm real sorry. Just imagine me coming on to a Bengals site after a special teams- and turnover-plagued loss to a division rival that did some serious damage to your team's playoff hopes and calling for the dismissal of the head coach who's earned one of the best records in the NFL while he's been at the helm.

Is Cowher perfect? No. Would I quit rooting for the Steelers if they canned him? No, I wouldn't but I would be a little irritated. Who says the guy can't win? You?!? Again, I will ask you too see how Marvin Lewis does for a few years and then get back to me. Until then, worry about your own team. We've got ours covered.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2005, 05:39 PM
I love that signature. Where did you get that from? I'm surprised that you are allowed to keep it here. They didn't like my anti-Tommy sig here and deleted it (even though your sig has a larger pixel size that mine did).

he lost a bet w/ bengalsfan21 so he has to use that sig for 1 month.. i sized it down some for him but since he made a bet, we stick by him and deal w/ it for one month.. but I really hate reading his posts now :rofl:

Suitanim
12-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Got into this pretty hot and heavy at another board. I didn't quite realize just how deep some people's hatred of Cowher actually runs.

But I'll say this. Now that he has his quality NFL caliber QB, I expect to see championships soon. If we are still coming up empty in 06/07 I'll move to the front of the of Cowher bashers.

Motley Nate
12-06-2005, 09:55 PM
he lost a bet w/ bengalsfan21 so he has to use that sig for 1 month.. i sized it down some for him but since he made a bet, we stick by him and deal w/ it for one month.. but I really hate reading his posts now :rofl:
Actually, BRC and ICH, I made the sig. I made it for my signature at cincybengals.com to hype up the smack for the week (intentionally causing level of stomach discomfort to look at the sig). I didn't realize that it was being used for bets. CheatinassBen owes me big time.

The guy with the long hair was a good find!

Steelersfan
12-09-2005, 01:08 AM
I have been a Steelers fan for a good 25 years and I think it's time for Cowher to go. Actually, I have been saying that to friends of mine for the past year going back to last season.
I'll just use the last 3 losses as for my reason's why.

Ravens game - Maddox is starting and we throw the ball 36 times! Run the ball only 25 as a team. Are you kidding me? Tommy to lead us to victory?

Colts game - Ben's first game in a month. we throw 26 times and run 25. a more balanced game but the onside kick ended up killing us. Another thing that ticks me off about this game is the play calling. More on that later.......

Bengals game - We run the ball for well over 200 yds against them the first game and yet we throw 41 times and run 28. And all those throws with a QB that has a broken hand.

Ok, so here I go...... The Ravens game speaks for itself. Now in the Colts game we made no real attempt to run the ball. And everytime we passed the ball it was for like a 1 yard screen or something stupid like that and usually on 3rd an 7-8 or 9. It was like he was playing not to get blown out in that game. This is what I said I would talk about above. When will Cowher learn to play to win the game?
Again in the Bengals game we made no attempt to really run the ball. So here we have a so called "tough" team that runs the ball on teams trying to throw the ball with the 2 best passing teams in the league. Does that sound like a game plan?
Now I know some of you will say Cowher didn't fumble the ball or do this or that. But the bottom line is he didn't call the type of game this team is built to win. Run the ball and control the game. That is how we went 15-1 last year but his failure to do it this year has us where we are. And I have said this before and I will say it again, we will NOT win with Willie as our starter.
So i'll end with this. Could someone please tell me what is wrong with Staley? He should be the starter right now, Bettis the backup and Parker the 3rd down back. Yet Cowher hasn't used either of them at all this year. Seems kind of strange that you wouldn't use the 2 backs that carried your team to 15-1 last year.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Actually, BRC and ICH, I made the sig. I made it for my signature at cincybengals.com to hype up the smack for the week (intentionally causing level of stomach discomfort to look at the sig). I didn't realize that it was being used for bets. CheatinassBen owes me big time.

The guy with the long hair was a good find!

Doh ! my apologies Nate.. I'd say its a nice job, but it really isnt :wink: :rofl:

Suitanim
12-09-2005, 09:30 AM
In response to steelerfan, I have a rebuttal for all your points (I'm not gonna quote the whole post).

A) Ravens game. We threw the ball 36 times because that's what they were giving us. The Rats have a tough run D, and they were stuffing their entire Defense in the box. Throwing actually gave us the best chance to win, even with an awful, noodle-armed Maddox, and we almost did win, even with the worst QB in the NFL.
B) Colts game. Cowher called an interesting play (OS kick), and it was based on something that showed up on film. Bottom line, if we execute that play, he looks brilliant, but it was a lousy kick. I will say he should have just run the clock out at the end of the 1st half. 13-7 on the road against the Colts is an okay 1st half.
C) Cincy game. We were fairly balanced until Willie started fumbling, especially in the 2nd half. Hell, he was ripping of runs of 6-7-8 yards a pop. Once we got down, we had to pass, and it made the stats look lopsided. Cowher didn't make Willie/Ward fumble, and he didn't make Ben throw INT's.
D) Last year our Oline was better, so we were able to control the LOS. This year, we've had to adjust, which is what we've done. Again, in the 2nd half of the Cincy game, before TO's forced us to pass, we were starting to control the LOS, and Willie was starting to take control of the game, which leads to...
E) Willie runs for speed and power. Give him last years line, and I bet he's sitting at 1200 yards right now.
F) As has been widely reported, Staley hasn't been right all year, and the Steelers knew he wasn't going to be 100% at any point this year. They have done a good job of shuffling him and Bettis in and out without risking them too much.

This is the old "When the team wins it's the players, when the team loses it's the coach". With a healthy Ben, and a little better execution, we would be at least 9-3 right now, and it still wouldn't matter, people would be calling for Cowher's head.

Suitanim
12-09-2005, 10:08 AM
As an extension of this, here's the map to beat the Colts. This is looks remarkably like what the Steelers tried to do, but failed to execute when it counted. #5 in particular is poignant.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9082783

5. Stay close.

Sure, the Colts are explosive, but try to keep them within reach. Pittsburgh withstood a furious first-quarter charge last month but imploded when a game-tying field goal went astray. Then the Steelers got stupid, trying to throw late in the second quarter when they should have been satisfied taking a 13-7 deficit to intermission and gambling on an onside kick to open the second half. It not only failed, it led to a game-clinching touchdown. "You can't afford to get down by more than 10 to these guys," said one coordinator, "because then they just turn those ends loose." The results speak for themselves: Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis have 20 sacks between them, and the Colts outscore opponents 187-71 in the second half. "You can beat these guys," said one assistant, "but an awful lot of things must go right."

clevestinks
12-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Cowher stays, Bengals finally have a good team, now they are all geniuses! Wow

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2005, 04:25 PM
The Bengals Fall Back To The Pit Next Year. They Will Not Be Consitent with having winning Years.

Go_Cats
12-09-2005, 08:05 PM
I just kind of take it personally when fans of other teams try to tell the Steelers what to do with their franchise.

Look, if I hurt your feelings I'm real sorry. Just imagine me coming on to a Bengals site after a special teams- and turnover-plagued loss to a division rival that did some serious damage to your team's playoff hopes and calling for the dismissal of the head coach who's earned one of the best records in the NFL while he's been at the helm.

Is Cowher perfect? No. Would I quit rooting for the Steelers if they canned him? No, I wouldn't but I would be a little irritated. Who says the guy can't win? You?!? Again, I will ask you too see how Marvin Lewis does for a few years and then get back to me. Until then, worry about your own team. We've got ours covered.
I see where your coming from :smile:

Steelersfan
12-10-2005, 03:08 AM
In repsonse to Suitanim,

I watched all three games (not saying you didn't) and I didn't see where we tried to run the ball with any determination (my opinion only) in any of those games even though that is what gave us the best chance to win.

I know the Ravens were stacking the line. All the more reason to use the bus and not Willie.
In the Bengals game we should have ran all over them like the first game. We were never down more than 1 score until late in the game so we had plenty of time to "WILL" our running game on them and control the game. But we didn't. Ben was throwing from the start and right till the end.

The Indy game was just terrible. Ya, we stayed close. But like I said, it seemed another of those games Cowher just played not to get blown out instead of playing to win.

Anyways, you made some good points Suitanim, I just don't agree with how we handled the play calling the past three games. Maybe it's the OC's fault but I still blame Cowher. He is the head coach and should know what is being called for a play and be able to change it when he thinks he needs to.

I would really like to know what is wrong with Staley. I have seen nothing on him. And what is wrong with Bettis? Why are we not using these two more?

And this has nothing to do with players win but the coach loses. I think a coach picks his team to play the way HE wants so the players only win if he calls the game to those same players strengths. We are a running team. We went 15-1 as a running team last year. How many times have we been down this year that would cause us to pass (even with Maddox in) as much as we have the past few games? I can only think of the second half of the Colts game. Every other game we had plenty of chances to get the run going and controlling the game.

So on a final note, does it seem like our D has a hard time getting pressure on QB's now? I think the D has played decent this year but when we don't pressure the QB we give up a lot of big plays and 3rd down's.

Suitanim
12-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Yesterday's game was a great example of good players executing a good gameplan. The offensive plan was brilliant, using misdirection early to nuetralize the Bears defensive speed and keeping them honest, then carving up the huge running lanes later in the game. Here are some stats that are pretty impressive (From my buddy Jason)

we've given up an average of just over 2 sacks per game...
Chicago is the #4 D in getting sacks...

We allowed zero...

Chicago gives up an average of just under 2 sacks per game...
We're #7 in getting sacks...we got 3...

Chicago is #7 against the run...
We are #10 in rushing offense...

We ran for 190 yards and averaged 4.13 yards per rush...

SalukiSteelers
12-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Well, everybody knows that when teams it's on the players and when teams lose it's on the coaches. That's just part of the bargain and Cowher's been dealing with it forever and I can't remember him ever really snapping and going off on somebody. Or gloating too much after a win. Fire Cowher? Fire yourself!

clevestinks
12-19-2005, 05:02 AM
Two wins in a row. Ben still isnt healthy. But we are getting healthy in other positions. Townsend was back this week and came up with a big int. in the endzone.

Cowher on to the Superbowl!