PDA

View Full Version : Just Voted....

Preacher
10-30-2008, 02:11 AM
Up until the very last second, I was not sure who I would vote for. Of course, Obama was out. However, there were a couple of 3rd party candidates that I wasn't sure about.

I did some searching on the American Independent party-- and almost voted for Alan Keyes . . . then I remembered.... it was ALAN KEYES... not the Keyes of 14 years ago, who had some VERY good points, but the Alan Keyes of today, who needs his head examined. It also made me wonder about his party.

http://www.aipca.org/platform.html

Then, as I still searched, I found where they basically stated that our constitution is inspired by God and WITHIN their own platform, they take a stand against secular Humanism, satanism, (and one other one).

Now, while personally I COMPLETELY agree with them, it has no place in a political party.

Such a shame, because I LOVED what I was reading about taxes, guns, Supreme COurt, etc. etc.

Argh.

So I held my nose............REAL TIGHT. And voted for McCain.

dangit.

Borski
10-30-2008, 02:49 AM
Wow, I never even heard of the guy, but I like alot of his values. I wish they would do away with the 2 party system and let the people chose who would be best, not the lesser of two evils. Thanks for the link :drink:

stillers4me
10-30-2008, 04:49 AM
I heard Alan Keyes speak about 10 years ago. I liked him. I'll have to go read your article later when I get home from work. He was alway a bit zealous.........maybe not so good for a politician, though.

Vis
10-30-2008, 06:57 AM
I voted as well.
Strangest thing here is a proposal to remove a statement of the female age of consent from the state constitution. It sets it at 14. The arguments I've heard to remove it is so it can be raised. The argument I've heard to keep it is the fear the state house would lower it. Can anyone imagine a state legislature lowering the age of consent below 14?

xfl2001fan
10-30-2008, 07:10 AM
I voted as well.
Strangest thing here is a proposal to remove a statement of the female age of consent from the state constitution. It sets it at 14. The arguments I've heard to remove it is so it can be raised. The argument I've heard to keep it is the fear the state house would lower it. Can anyone imagine a state legislature lowering the age of consent below 14?

West Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama etc... I think Arkansas, Montana and Idaho might be involved in that conspiracy. :flap:

stlrtruck
10-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Can anyone imagine a state legislature lowering the age of consent below 14?

In today's society, it wouldn't surprise me one bit!!

Vis
10-30-2008, 08:11 AM
In today's society, it wouldn't surprise me one bit!!

I would think they would more likely raise it too high and criminalize teenage sex.

Godfather
10-30-2008, 08:34 AM
West Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama etc... I think Arkansas, Montana and Idaho might be involved in that conspiracy. :flap:

I think Alabama is 10 for siblings and first cousins and 13 otherwise :rofl:

On a more serious note, Keyes being the AIP nominee is impressive considering that's George Wallace's party.

Steel Duck
10-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Well, I voted yesterday. I voted democratic straight down the line...
However, my vote for Obama won't count for much as I live in a republican state...I still enjoyed exercising my american right and my american duty :D

xfl2001fan
10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Well, I voted yesterday. I voted democratic straight down the line...
However, my vote for Obama won't count for much as I live in a republican state...I still enjoyed exercising my american right and my american duty :D

Despite our political differences, thank you for exercising your right/duty. I'm glad to know that those of us still fighting are fighting for a good reason.

Steel Duck
10-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Despite our political differences, thank you for exercising your right/duty. I'm glad to know that those of us still fighting are fighting for a good reason.

Thank you for saying that. I really appreciate it!!!:hug:

Texasteel
10-30-2008, 11:00 AM
I voted as well.

Yes Vis, unfortunately I can. I have had my heart broken by so many politicians, of all denominations, so many times that nothing will surprise me anymore. I hope you right and the plan is to raise it. I may be just to old but I can't see a child that young being able to make a wise decision regarding that subject. Hell I know some 30 year olds that can't.

Preacher
10-30-2008, 03:21 PM
I would think they would more likely raise it too high and criminalize teenage sex.

That is a bit misleading.

It isn't about criminalizing teenage sex. It is about criminalizing sex between teenagers and adults.

The questions asked are... does an 18 or 20 year old have enough maturity to deal with and fend off advances from a 30, 40, or 50 year old.

Doesn't matter whether you agree or disagree, you have to admit, it is a good question to ask.

The last thing ANYONE wants is a situation where a person can be manipulated into a sexual encounter because of their mental/social capability.

Personally, I say if a person is able to go to war and kill at age 18, they are able to make decisions on drinking, sex, etc. etc. at age 18. If not, raise the limit to 21, for EVERYTHING>

Preacher
10-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I voted as well.

Yep http://www.martijn.org/info/Nambla/B25-3.pdf

the same thing was said about gay marriage 15 years ago. These groups exist today... so in 15, 20 years, I can absolutely see it happening.

Leftoverhard
10-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Yep http://www.martijn.org/info/Nambla/B25-3.pdf

the same thing was said about gay marriage 15 years ago. These groups exist today... so in 15, 20 years, I can absolutely see it happening.

Strange comparison. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, in the past, you know, the good old days - there was no age of consent. Girls used to get married at 13 with parental approval, even request. There weren't laws to protect children from adults until pretty recently - 1900's. I'm no expert but I think I'm in the ballpark here. To say we're going backwards doesn't add up. NAMBLA is a fringe group to put it mildly.

Preacher
10-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Strange comparison. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, in the past, you know, the good old days - there was no age of consent. Girls used to get married at 13 with parental approval, even request. There weren't laws to protect children from adults until pretty recently - 1900's. I'm no expert but I think I'm in the ballpark here. To say we're going backwards doesn't add up. NAMBLA is a fringe group to put it mildly.

Yes, I agree, they are a fringe group. BUt in the 50's, and 60's, the same thing would have been said about GLAD.. .heck, even in the 80's.

You are also right concerning marriage. However, the social constraints and levels of maturity were quite different as well.

A 14 year old in the 1600's had most likely, seen death, probably war, was relied upon to bring in the harvest, worked along side the father and was able to learn how to be a man.

Those things no longer exist. Same for woman. It is simply impossible to compare today's society and what is and is not acceptable to the late medieval and early/mid modernist era's.

Vis
10-30-2008, 07:14 PM
That is a bit misleading.

It isn't about criminalizing teenage sex. It is about criminalizing sex between teenagers and adults.

The questions asked are... does an 18 or 20 year old have enough maturity to deal with and fend off advances from a 30, 40, or 50 year old.

Doesn't matter whether you agree or disagree, you have to admit, it is a good question to ask.

The last thing ANYONE wants is a situation where a person can be manipulated into a sexual encounter because of their mental/social capability.

Personally, I say if a person is able to go to war and kill at age 18, they are able to make decisions on drinking, sex, etc. etc. at age 18. If not, raise the limit to 21, for EVERYTHING>

I agree with the last but what concerns me is the pissed off parents of the 15 year old girl who ruin the 16 yr old boy's life with a rape charge. We know that no means no but when does yes mean yes?

Steel Duck
10-30-2008, 08:54 PM
I agree with the last but what concerns me is the pissed off parents of the 15 year old girl who ruin the 16 yr old boy's life with a rape charge. We know that no means no but when does yes mean yes?

Well said!!!!

Preacher
10-31-2008, 10:34 AM

Good point,

though in most states, that doesn't happen.

Underage sex between teenagers is not illegal.

Only overage to underage... and then, if they are within 2 years in some states it is still ok.

(It is amazing the kinds of things you have to deal with as a pastor).