PDA

View Full Version : Safety is slighted by lack of playing time

Aussie_steeler
10-30-2008, 03:27 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08304/923970-66.stm

Thursday, October 30, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Anthony Smith feels slighted. He started 10 games last season after illness struck down free safety Ryan Clark, and he wonders why he likely won't get the job this week.

"Yeah, I'm frustrated," Smith said yesterday. "Playing all those games last year and not getting a chance to contribute, yeah, it's very frustrating."

Clark won't play when the Steelers take on the Redskins in Washington Monday night because of a dislocated shoulder. His season ended after seven games last year after his blood reacted to the high altitude in Denver and his spleen ultimately was removed because of it. Clark has sickle cell trait.

Smith started the next eight games at free safety but was benched in favor of Ty Carter after he allowed one too many deep touchdown passes. He returned to start when Carter replaced an injured Troy Polamalu at free safety, then Smith earned a technical start in the playoff against Jacksonville.

It became obvious that Smith fell out of favor with the coaching staff then, and it was confirmed when he opened this season on the inactive list. He has been relegated to special teams play this season while Carter plays in situation defenses and replaced the injured Clark against New York.

Tomlin said Tuesday that "at this point" Carter will start Monday but that Smith will get a chance to change his mind in practice this week.
"I hope we get a chance to battle it out in practice and they make their decision off of that," Smith said. "Hopefully, that's what it is."

Smith said, "I honestly don't know who's making the decision for me not to be playing."

"You would like to know, but it's just something you can't let hold you back and distract you from going out and performing every week."

Wait and see
Halfback Willie Parker went through a full practice yesterday, but after the experiences of the past two weeks, he wants to see how his left knee reacts before talking about a comeback.

Parker was expected to return to play Oct. 19 but re-injured his MCL in practice that week. He practiced last week but the knee did not respond favorably. He has not played since his injury Sept. 21 in Philadelphia.

"I'll take it day by day," Parker said. "Every time I think I feel good it turns out I don't really feel that good."

Distractions, distractions
Among Ben Roethlisberger's stated concerns about playing the Washington Redskins is their cheerleaders.

That's what he said, anyway.

"I'm not a big fan of playing there because it is loud, they're really good at home and they try to make their cheerleaders stretch in our tunnel before we come out of the locker room. That's just not good," Roethlisberger said yesterday.

The practice by the Redskins cheerleaders was so legendary around the league that when commissioner Roger Goodell sent out a memo to all teams last year banning the practice some dubbed the "Redskins Rule."

"The couple of preseason games I've played down there, we've seen it," Roethlisberger said.

And it's a distraction?

"It can be, let's be truthful. They've done it before. I've heard a rumor that they're not allowed to do it anymore."

Quick hits

Safety Ryan Clark revealed that he was fined $5,000 by the NFL for wearing eye black with the No. 21 etched into it Sunday. Clark said he did it to honor his late Redskins teammate Sean Taylor, who was murdered in his Florida home last year. Clark, who wears No. 25, wears a No. 21 practice jersey in honor of Taylor. Clark said he will continue to wear the eye black with "21" in it. ... Add linebacker LaMarr Woodley (calf) to the injury list. He did not practice yesterday, and neither did Marvel Smith (back spasms) nor nose tackle Casey Hampton (toe) among others.

First published on October 30, 2008 at 12:00 am

It looks like Tomlin is really testing Anthony SMith to see what he is really made of off the field before he truly tests him on the field as a starter.

I like Smiths talent but the more I read the more it seems like he has really p*ssed some people off.

Interesting to also see that Ryan Clark will continue to rack up the $5k fine for his tribute to Sean Taylor. Seems to be a lot of steelers starting to show their displeasure with Goodell by ignoring the fines levied.

Galax Steeler
10-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Goodell is nothing but a prick so what if he wears eye black with no.21 in it whats the big deal.

stillers4me
10-30-2008, 05:54 AM
Sounds like Tomlin feels Anthony Smith is still the little punk he was in training camp (remember when he decked HInes?) and Tomlin doesn't feel comfortable with him on the field. Trust in Tomlin.

SteelMember
10-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Smith needs to talk it on the field, not in the papers.

The skins will surely try and establish the run so we can't afford a FS to be eyeballing the backfield every play and give up the deep ball over his head.

That's what I think the problem is. :noidea:

Steeldude
10-30-2008, 09:44 AM
smith needs to start growing up before he can play again.

DACEB
10-30-2008, 09:56 AM
smith needs to start growing up before he can play again.

That article would suggest, at least to me, that he still has a way to go. Damn the kid has talent, if he could just keep his nose out of the backfield on every play. Maturity, instincts and the big hits will follow kid.

Da Steeler Soprano
10-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Did Carter learn how to actually run yet?? Cause if not we may be in for a long day of deep balls to Moss.

steelpride12
10-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Good for Clark to say he is going to keep wearing #21 on him.
Second wow injuries truly are getting bad at this point with Wood missing practice, Clark probably out, Marvel once again this season have back problems, and the safety position is def. hit the hardest.

MACH1
10-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Smith said, "I honestly don't know who's making the decision for me not to be playing."

Um, wouldn't that be the coach. If he can't figure that part out maybe he shouldn't be playing.

Edman
10-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Smith put himself in this position. You shouldn't have dissed Coach Dad and act a fool. Until you can show to the coaching staff that you've matured, you'll rot on that bench.

Tyrone Carter may have the skillset of a rock, but at least he's smart.

jjpro11
10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
anthony smith better look like a pro bowler in practice this week.. because i dont want to see santana moss and randle el running laps around him on monday night.. he couldnt get to amani toomer fast enough on that 4th down play vs the giants which probably cost us the game.

steelreserve
10-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Basically, Carter sucks and I hope we never have to use him any more. I wish we had a better plan than that if our first-string guy got banged up.

Steelerfreak58
10-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Big Ben talking about he cheerleaders.... killing me!!!!:tt03:

Man I would be ridiculously distracted!!!!!!!!

memphissteelergirl
10-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Tyrone Carter may have the skillset of a rock, but at least he's smart.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

devilsdancefloor
10-30-2008, 03:55 PM
We could be doing alot worse than Tyrone Carter at safety! He might not be the best, but we should still get behind him (and at least get him rolling since he has a skill set of a rock :chuckle:).

stlrtruck
10-30-2008, 03:59 PM
To Mr. Smith, if you feel slighted than maybe you should have taken notice of the smell of toast following you at the end of last season. You should have also heeded your team mates warnings about your vigilante style of play during training camp. While I appreciate your hard hitting, it's not something I want you doing to our players. I also don't want you so ready to jack up the guy in front of you that you forget about the guy behind you.
This isn't about you personally, this is about you professionally!
Hey I'd love to see you jack up Randle El, but at the same time I'd hate to see him fly past you (or any of the other Skins receivers) for a game changing TD (specifically one that gives them the lead or the W)!!
Now learn how to play nice with others in the same uniform, know your role on the field, and I'm sure you'll see more playing time. Until then - just knock out a few return people!!

Preacher
10-30-2008, 04:30 PM
What a shame...

that kid is so promising... but such a knucklehead.

Steelman16
10-30-2008, 05:18 PM
anthony smith better look like a pro bowler in practice this week.. because i dont want to see santana moss and randle el running laps around him on monday night.. he couldnt get to amani toomer fast enough on that 4th down play vs the giants which probably cost us the game.

Actually, that was Tyrone Carter, but it probably doesn't matter. Smith would have been beaten deep anyway.

Our secondary is all about not letting the big plays for big gains. That being the case, we can't really afford to have Smith out there, even though Carter has the skillset of a rock. :chuckle: (I have a feeling that's gonna be the new royal handle for Lord Tyrone...)

I don't really care who plays, as long as whoever starts doesn't make a totally bonehead play. Washington doesn't win by many points, and neither do we, so if something like that happens, it could be a huge game-changer in the negative.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-30-2008, 05:36 PM
ACtually you are both wrong, it was Gay who was beat deep on that catch by Toomer.

As for Smith, he's a knucklehead who probally won't be with the team next season.

Steelman16
10-30-2008, 05:46 PM
ACtually you are both wrong, it was Gay who was beat deep on that catch by Toomer.

As for Smith, he's a knucklehead who probally won't be with the team next season.

I know it was Gay who was 'actually' beat, but Carter wasn't much help for him because he's so tarnal slow. That's what I was referring to; Carter put his shoulder down for the hit, but he was way too late.

I just hope Clark gets well soon, because we need him back there.

During the offseason I hope we find some better backups for the safety positions...well, after we find some linemen first. :wink02:

Preacher
10-30-2008, 06:05 PM
I know it was Gay who was 'actually' beat, but Carter wasn't much help for him because he's so tarnal slow. That's what I was referring to; Carter put his shoulder down for the hit, but he was way too late.

During the offseason I hope we find some better backups for the safety positions...well, after we find some linemen first. :wink02:

Tyrone carter has been a very good backup for us for a number of years. The question should be, is he getting too slow to still be a backup. That answer may be yes. But let's not disparage him for what he did give us.

A. Smith. Wel... :banging::banging: That's all I can say. I LOVE the kid. but there is no way I want him on the field if he isn't disciplined.

Funny, just a year and a half ago, many of us were saying that the Safety position was one of the deepest positions for this team.

T&B fan
10-30-2008, 06:11 PM
To Mr. Smith, if you feel slighted than maybe you should have taken notice of the smell of toast following you at the end of last season. You should have also heeded your team mates warnings about your vigilante style of play during training camp. While I appreciate your hard hitting, it's not something I want you doing to our players. I also don't want you so ready to jack up the guy in front of you that you forget about the guy behind you.
This isn't about you personally, this is about you professionally!
Hey I'd love to see you jack up Randle El, but at the same time I'd hate to see him fly past you (or any of the other Skins receivers) for a game changing TD (specifically one that gives them the lead or the W)!!
Now learn how to play nice with others in the same uniform, know your role on the field, and I'm sure you'll see more playing time. Until then - just knock out a few return people!!

yup ,just close your mouth and play hard and smart when you get the playing time ..

RoethlisBURGHer
10-30-2008, 06:13 PM

I didn't even see Carter in the play, probally because I was yelling about how much Gay sucks (that doesn't sound right).

SunshineMan21
10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Carter didn't make a great read on the play, and he's not a great DB, but he's a smart veteran who doesn't let guys get behind him and catch huge long passes.

Which is more than anyone can say for Anthony Smith.

It's possible that Smtih will turn out well, but right now he hasn't shown anything on the field to be getting indignant about a lack of playing time.

lilyoder6
10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
i think that mundy could of been a good safety replacement... carter has been good.. but it def showed last yr in the playoff's that he has gotten slow... i mean fat ass david gerrad juked him out

ricksteelers55
10-30-2008, 07:56 PM
I dont think that we gave Smith that much of a chance this year to show what he can do.Remember BMac ? He was the nickle corner until Deshea's injury and when he got his chance to play he stepped up and made the plays.

I just think that before saying that A.Smith got burned on each play last year we should be honnest and admit that Tyrone wasnt better.I still remember that long ball to Jones-Drew last year in the playoffs,Carter was the responsable one for that play

bottom line is..yeah Smith looks to be a knucklehead but if he is then why are we keeping him around instead of a Roy Lewis for example ? Smith is in his last contract year so there's a lot of chances that he will play somewhere else next year