PDA

View Full Version : What is the answer?

cowboykilla
10-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm so frustrated i don't know what to do. Our defense is one of, if not the best in the league. We have one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Running game has fell off with the abscence of Parker,but does about as much as expected. All of our recievers are dangerous. I really believe that if we just had a ''somewhat decent'' offensive line we would right now be undefeated. How can the line be fixed? Can it be fixed? I hope those in the know have a plan,because the time to strike is now. Most of the teams left on or schedule have not lived up to the hype,and are just not playing well. I like our chances even now against them,just imagine if the o-line would step up:dang:. :tt::tt::tt:

devilsdancefloor
10-30-2008, 08:38 PM
i think our running game has been a big surprise with memo unlike last year when willie went down. I think Memo adds the threat of big gains via the pass. Which makes me wonder why in the world ar we not trying to set up more screens that would releive some of the pressure on the Oline. And as far as our oline goes it would seem like they have never gotten any chemistry as a group. They will have a good game or 2 and then seem to fall apart. But i think without a dominate center we will not see a good line for a while. honestly we have been spoiled at the center postion since mike webster. and i fear that until we get a center that wil take charge and be dominate the oline will be suffering. I also think the playcaling could help the oline at times it would seem they are dominate run blocking and we go away from the run. And the stupid penalties are killing us. And i really have been scratching my head why when we go into no huddle mode they seem not to have these problems. am imagining this or is it really happening? Anyway GO STEELERS!:tt::tt03:

Hapa
10-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Don't forget Jeff Hartings. He was a beast

verks36
10-30-2008, 11:25 PM
everyone knew during the offseason the one thing that we needed to address was the o-line. And we just didnt do enough. Basically it is the same story as last year our o-line blows. No one from the 08 draft in contributing not knocking Rashard or even Limas but would have been nice to have drafted a solid line men in the first couple of picks who could have made a impact this year. Ben will not last with the pounding he is getting all 16 games. I am surprised he hasnt suffered a serous injury this year.

The answer is: this year bascially we were are going to just to have to gut it out and actually invest an actual high draft pick or some serous dough on an olinemen next season

Tankus_Maximus
10-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Gotta agree with Verks, the only answer is a high draft pick on a Left tackle. Although they aren't "sexy" picks (ala Mendenhall & Sweed), they are extremely necessary. I've been saying this since the end of last season: Ya can't go anywhere without your hogs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-31-2008, 12:47 PM
No one from the 08 draft in contributing not knocking Rashard or even Limas but would have been nice to have drafted a solid line men in the first couple of picks who could have made a impact this year.

Take a look at the O linemen that were around at the #23 pick and you will see that few are contributing well this season.

Duane Brown is playing, but sucks, Gosder Cherilus was just benched for George Foster, Anthony Collins is on the bench, Brandon Albert is Struggling, Sam Baker is having Back surgery, but 5th rounder Carl Nicks is playing in New Orleans. The only guys that are really stepping in and playing well are Jake Long, Jeff Otah, Ryan Clady ....they were all gone early.

The answer is to not expect rookies to solve your problems on the O line unless you have a top 10 pick. Draft talent in the 2nd and 3rd round and expect them to start by their 2nd or 3rd season.

If we drafted Anthony Collins in the 3rd (instead of Bruce Davis) and Carl Nicks in the 4th(instead of Tony Hills) , they would probably be starting at LG and RT next season.

Steelers could have drafted Ben Grubbs, Justin Blaylock, Ryan Khalil, Joe Staley, Tony Ugoh, Sampson Setele in 2007, but that would mean either Timmons or Woodley would have been passed over. Take your pick.

verks36
10-31-2008, 12:58 PM
my pick is an o-linemen

rbryan
10-31-2008, 01:37 PM
If I hear one more person say there were no Olineman available in the last draft I'm gonna scream.

Trade down and get multiple 2nd and 3rd rounders then. Hows that RB at number one working out? Forget the fact that he's injured .....no one could foresee that. The real point is that we needed OL way more than a RB. And please don't tell me that they weren't going to contribute this year either.....I already know that. Now we can look forward to at least 2 more years of mediocre play from the Oline.

Does anyone really need to ask whats wrong anymore????

Steelers Since '75
10-31-2008, 01:37 PM
The problem is Arians as far as I can tell... I haven't seen an offense so loaded with talent and yet underachieve so much. I see no game plan changes after halftime when we are getting killed and I don't see anyone hammering on BB to get rid of the ball. Granted it looks like Arians and BB are on the same page of the playbook... the glamorous long ball. Which would be great if you have an o-line and we do not have a cohesive unit as of yet... not one cohesive enough to give Ben the time he needs to have multiple reads deep. Arians should realize this and have already devised multiple screens, play action, and short dump off passes. Who the hell wants to watch us go sack, short run, sack, punt... when it would be so much more rewarding to dink and dunk down the field. Give me 4-5 yards on each play, whether passing or running and I will be happy... because that equals TD every time. 5 sacks and 10 knockdowns are not offset with a couple of 50 yard bombs to Nate!

steelreserve
10-31-2008, 01:39 PM
I'd say the running game has gotten better in the absence of Parker. It's more consistent, and we've got a guy who can catch now, too.

I don't honestly know if the offensive line is the reason for all our problems. I think we suffer from bouts of stubborn playcalling and just plain bad playcalling, and Ben has been off his game for the better part of month.

I think Ben had so much success improvising over the past couple years that he's trying to do too much. He's gone from brilliant playmaker to stupid risk-taker -- not all the time, mind you, but enough to remind you of Brett Favre. By which I don't mean the MVP, Super Bowl winning Brett Favre of the 1990s, but the inaccurate-throwing, randomly-chuck-the-ball-downfield-in-a-panic Brett Favre of this decade.

I mean, he's still a great quarterback most of the time and I wouldn't trade him for anyone, but he just needs to work on getting back to what made him successful in those situations, not trying to force it.

Steelerfreak58
10-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Teams that are beating us up are teams that took the blueprint from the Philly game. They are sending a lot of blitzes at Ben. Arians has done a piss poor job of getting the ball out of Bens hands quickly. Keep teams honest with the run but throw in the following...

1. Screens (have seen virtually zero this year)

2. Play Action Pass

3. 3 Step drop pass plays.

4. Quick pop passes in slant routes have done well when we utilize them.

5. More quick shots over the middle to Heath Miller the guy is solid money every damn time, yet completely and totally underutilized.

Ben is holding the ball to long but its when Arians is calling for 5 and 7 step drop obvious pass plays or from the shot gun from 3rd and long and teams are coming after him because they know the O-line has more holes in it then a cheese grater.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-31-2008, 03:53 PM
If I hear one more person say there were no Olineman available in the last draft I'm gonna scream.

The number of armchair GM's that come in here and say "we should have drafted an O-lineman in the 1st round" ... Has already made me scream. I would like to see somebody pose an alternative solution with actual names of linemen and tell me the names of OT's that were available at the #23 pick and beyond that would be starting this season......please do it.

Trading down from the #23 pick most likely gets you the #30 pick and a teams #62 pick....not multiple 2nd rounders. Again, the only decent linemen at that point might have been Chilo Rachal and Anthony Collins. Neither of which were gonna help this season.

I am all in favor of drafting O linemen. I have been for 3 drafts and stand by my desire to get Collins and Nicks. I posted this in April I see a Tackle being picked and in that case Anthony Collins or Carl Nicks come into play in round 2 or 3.

Lets for arguement sake say the Steelers tried to trade up to get an OT, but there were no other teams willing to trade. You have to take the best player availabe instead of a 3rd rounder like Collins in the first round.

rbryan
10-31-2008, 06:46 PM
It doesn't take anyone remotely qualified to be the GM to see that if you don't draft OL for years on end, you get what you have now.

I didn't suggest we draft down 5 or 6 spots to get one extra pick. We already established there was no one worth a 1st rounder. Whats wrong with trading your number one (Hows Mendenhall working out again????) for multiple 2nd - 3rd round picks?? I don't have any names to give you because you're right...... I'm not the GM... The 2 or 3 Olineman the FO might have chosen could have us on the right track to solve the problem in a year or two. As it stands, I see no light at the end of this tunnel.

What do I know.......I'm just an armchair GM. I'm not nearly as qualified as all the fans who loved the 1-2 punch of Mendenhall and Sweed. Maybe we'll have a decent OL by 2011....assuming we don't load up on fantasy players again next April.

jjpro11
10-31-2008, 07:43 PM
quit all this oline BS.. if we dont start nullifying the pass rush by passing to the rb, tight end, or quick passes to receivers, teams are going to continue to blitz the hell out of us because they know we dont have plays to counter it.

i honestly cannot figure out why teams do not blitz us every single play. even if we beat it once or twice, more times than not it results in a sack or a bad pass. the bengals sacked ben what, 7 times in a game last season from bringing blitz after blitz? yet they curiously decide not to blitz much the last game and we killed them.. the eagles brought the house every time and we had no answer for it.

any defensive coordinator we face that does not blitz us more than half the game should be fired immediately following the game. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize that we are probably the worst team in the league against the blitz.

Steely McSmash
11-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Lets for arguement sake say the Steelers tried to trade up to get an OT, but there were no other teams willing to trade. You have to take the best player availabe instead of a 3rd rounder like Collins in the first round.

I don't buy into this mentality at all.

If you need eggs and you go to the store with $2 to buy eggs and see a toaster on sale for $2 do you buy the toaster or get the eggs you need? The toaster is a great deal but you already have one! You'll end up with a backup toaster and no eggs. Then you try to get undrafted free agent eggs and you get food poisoning and eat a bunch of Chinese melamine. Is that what you want?

If you need O-line badly and you draft 3rd round O-line value in the first round that's better than getting somthing you don't need. If it were up to me I'd have drafted at least 4 linemen for both O and D line, 2 within the first three rounds.

We need D line and O-line badly and have for the past 3 drafts in my opinion. Your point about no one being likely to produce this year is well taken. That means that next year no one but perhaps Hills will be ready to produce either. I think Hartwig, Kemo and Colon are keepers and the rest are just bodies and backups at this point. The starting D-line is all over 30. Continuing to not address this is an ongoing disaster. How many wide recievers and TE do we need?

GBMelBlount
11-01-2008, 06:56 AM
devilsdancefloor
i think our running game has been a big surprise with memo unlike last year when willie went down.

Agree!

I think Memo adds the threat of big gains via the pass. Which makes me wonder why in the world are we not trying to set up more screens that would relieve some of the pressure on the Oline.

Agree!

And as far as our oline goes it would seem like they have never gotten any chemistry as a group. They will have a good game or 2 and then seem to fall apart. But i think without a dominate center we will not see a good line for a while.

This is the key to how far we go this year. Everything starts with the line and we were completely embarrassed by two dominant defenses. Assuming we win the division, we have 2 1/2 months to get our oline together. Let's face it, we will likely be playing top shelf defenses in the playoffs and they will most certainly be bringing the house every play knowing that the oline is our achilles tendon..

I also think the play calling could help the oline at times it would seem they are dominate run blocking and we go away from the run.

Just my opinion, but again, I completely agree.

And i really have been scratching my head why when we go into no huddle mode they seem not to have these problems. am imagining this or is it really happening?

It does seem that way. It is frustrating as a casual fan to see things that appear obvious but don't seem to be reflected in the overall strategy or play calling at times. :noidea:

I think if we make the right adjustments, and we are healthy, we can hopefully go deep into the playoffs.

Great post.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-01-2008, 11:41 AM
It doesn't take anyone remotely qualified to be the GM to see that if you don't draft OL for years on end, you get what you have now.

. Rbryan, I agree with you that we needed to start restocking the line talent starting last season, and now this season.

I dont agree that you can imply that Mendenhall and Sweed are busts 7 games into the season. When the #23 pick was on the board Mendenhall made sense. BPA.....I have no problem with that.

They even could have drafted Anthony Collins or Kendall Langford with the 2nd, but by the time it got down to the 3rd and they picked an OLB.....when our first 2 picks the previous season were OLB's????.....that made no sense.

If they picked Collins with the #3 and Nicks with the #4 it would leave this seasons draft to look at a DE with the #1 pick and a center like Luigs or Unger in the 2nd or maybe an OT.

The Steelers could let Smith, Starks, Kemo walk....pickup a vet like Tra Thomas in free agency and next season have looked like . Thomas, Colon, Hartwig, Simmons(Stapleton), Collins. It would be an overhaul, but a young line with backups like Luigs(or Unger), Nicks, Parquet, Essex and a rookie OT for the 2009 season.

I'm not debating we needed to draft O line, but I am not saying that Mendenhall and Sweed were bad picks.