PDA

View Full Version : NFLPA: Discipline of Holmes improper

devilsdancefloor
10-31-2008, 09:26 PM
NFLPA: Discipline of Holmes improper
Players union may file grievance against Steelers for 'improper suspension and fine'
Thursday, October 30, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As Santonio Holmes talked yesterday about how he might have made a difference in the Steelers' 21-14 loss to the New York Giants, his union talked about what it called the "improper" discipline imposed on the wide receiver by Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

An NFL Players Association official said the union may file a grievance over the fine Tomlin issued to Holmes along with making him inactive for Sunday's game.

"After speaking with our attorney, we have had discussions with his agent Joel Segal regarding the possibility of filing a grievance against the Steelers improper suspension and fine by the club," the NFLPA's Carl Francis wrote in an e-mail to the Post-Gazette yesterday.

Holmes, in his first public interview since he was charged with possessing a small amount of marijuana last Thursday, would not say if he were upset with being deactivated for the game by Tomlin.

"I can't comment on that question. That's almost a personal question on both sides, so I think I'll leave that question unanswered."

Tomlin would not confirm that he fined Holmes -- the receiver lost no money for being deactivated Sunday. The coach was not bashful, though, about how he felt regarding the union's unhappiness with the disciplinary actions he took.

"I'm not concerned about their view about whether we chose to activate him," Tomlin said. "We've got 53 men on the team. We choose to activate 45 for a particular game. That's what we chose to do and we move forward."

Holmes, the starting split end in his third NFL season, is the second-leading receiver on the team with 22 receptions for 360 yards. Hines Ward is first with 31 catches for 406 yards. With Holmes banished Sunday, Nate Washington moved up to start and rookie Limas Sweed, playing in just his second game, moved up to No. 3.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had his worst day of the season. He completed 13 of 29 passes for 189 yards with one touchdown pass, four interceptions, five sacks and a 38.5 passer rating.

Ward caught three passes for 30 yards, Sweed three for 28 and Washington one for a 65-yard touchdown.

Holmes believes his presence in that game would have made a difference.

"I know I would ... yes, but I wasn't there to help the team," he said.

"Having a young guy in with Sweed filling in and not being on the same page with Ben, not having as many reps throughout practice and not having the experience being in that tough situation, I feel I could have made big progress with the team," Holmes said.

He said watching the Steelers lose to the Giants was "real tough."

"It really hurts, this is my first time ever having to sit down and watch my team play," Holmes said, not counting when he was injured. "It's all personal feelings that can't even be described."

Holmes said he does not care whether some people doubt him now.

"Who cares? I really don't. I'm here to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers and I'm pretty sure all my guys in this locker room believe I'm capable of getting out on the field Monday night and producing for these guys."

Teammates backed him on that.

"Him and I have really come a long way, both on and off the field," Roethlisberger said. "He's a weapon for us and it will be fun to have him back out there."

"I think he definitely regrets what happened," tight end Heath Miller said, "and we don't expect that to happen again so in our mind it's over and done with."

Holmes seemed contrite when he spoke to his teammates Monday, some said. He said he asked Tomlin if he could talk to them and that team union player representative Charlie Batch also suggested it to Holmes.

"He made a mistake," fullback Carey Davis said. "We all understand it's an unfortunate situation what he went through. I know he's hurt more than a lot of people think. He really didn't want to let the team down like that, he didn't want to let himself down.

"Especially since we lost, not being able to help us and be a part of it really hurt him. I expect some big things from him this week."

stillers4me
11-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Coach Mike Tomlin: "Bite me."

:chuckle:

Seriously, I think Santonio gets it. This is all his agents doing. Besides, we lost the game. We've all been punished enough. I predict Santonio redeems himself with a vengence.

And Ben, (stillers haking head), it's
"he and I". K?

klick81
11-01-2008, 09:48 AM
The NFLPA should get their head outta their asses, and start speaking up against Goodell and his band of cronies fining every player who dares to tackle or block another.

Leave the teams who actually discipline their players out of your little agenda.

Hammer Of The GODS
11-01-2008, 10:05 AM
the possibility of filing a grievance against the Steelers improper suspension and fine by the club?

WTF?

So what is the "proper" way to discipline a player who violates the rules?

Holmes knew what he was doing. Why should he be let off the hook?

Apparently the lacksadaisical way our society punishes criminals is filtering its way into the nfl. It's sad!

MasterOfPuppets
11-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Holmes said he does not care whether some people doubt him now.

"Who cares? I really don't. I'm here to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers and I'm pretty sure all my guys in this locker room believe I'm capable of getting out on the field Monday night and producing for these guys."proof that the issued apology, was not legit. this sounds like something burress would say.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Face it........Unions Suck.(for the most part)

Back in the day they served a purpose of making sure employees were not abused and paid slave labour wages, but now they go out of their way to protect the lazy malcontents.

Unions for the most part, fight for "rights" and "priviledges" while sheltering their membership from any "duties" or "resposibilities".

bigmaq
11-01-2008, 01:28 PM
To the question regarding whether he was upset and Holmes did not answer, the correct answer should be:

"Yes, of course I am upset, with myself, I let my team down and the coach's deactivating me was completely warranted. Furthermore, I am informing the union of same and I will not lend any support to the filing of a grievance. I am prepared to take my medicine like a man."

That's how he will earn respect from not only his teammates, but, the coaches and the FO.

chucknh
11-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Hello

How can SH be back so quickly for marijuana charges? Players are being suspended for 4 games for over the counter weight loss pill usage?

MasterOfPuppets
11-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Hello

How can SH be back so quickly for marijuana charges? Players are being suspended for 4 games for over the counter weight loss pill usage?he hasn't been suspended by goodell yet. the STEELERS sat him for a game.

msafford
11-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Face it........Unions Suck.(for the most part)

Back in the day they served a purpose of making sure employees were not abused and paid slave labour wages, but now they go out of their way to protect the lazy malcontents.

Unions for the most part, fight for "rights" and "priviledges" while sheltering their membership from any "duties" or "resposibilities".

VERY good point. Sadly enough I see this scenario play out concerning my union on an almost daily basis. (protecting the lazy malcontents) What's even sadder is that I'm a teacher.

chucknh
11-01-2008, 08:41 PM
How can 1 game with pay for marijuana be enough when other players are getting 4 games for diuretic?

chucknh
11-01-2008, 08:43 PM
sorry I didnt see puppets answer to this question. So Goodell may still suspend him?

fansince'76
11-01-2008, 09:07 PM
How can 1 game with pay for marijuana be enough when other players are getting 4 games for diuretic?

I don't know. Maybe it's the same rationale that leads to Hines Ward getting fined $15,000 for slapping a guy on the side of the helmet after a play (which happens about a dozen times every game) while guys like Shaun Rogers can hit QBs 3-5 seconds after they've thrown the ball and not get penalized or fined whatsoever. It's a mystery.

chucknh
11-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Ok its not a mystery anymore. Evidently the league will not issue a suspension until " the legal process has run its course."

steel striker
11-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I would not be surprised if the nfl took some type of action against holmes. Just like Fansince76 said they seem to fine other steeler players for studip crap. Then our qb gets creamed on a late hit and nothing is done or said. Then all of last week Hines is defending himself about being a good football player. Sometimes i really wonder about this NFL.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-01-2008, 10:41 PM
The NFLPA is sticking their nose into something they need to stay out of.

The Steelers have every right to fine and deactivate a player when team rules are broken or they portray the team in a bad light. I would assume marijuana possession is against team rules since it's illegal...and it portrayed the team in a bad light.

Holmes was fined and deactivated for the game, and told not to show up until Monday. As far as I know, the fine was not an entire game check therefore it's not considered a suspension, just a fine and a benching.

What the NFLPA is attempting to do, IMHO, is keeping teams from punishing their own employees (i.e. players) when they do something wrong.

In the real world, a union such as the Teamsters don't touch drug-related punishment. In a lot of places, a person would be fired for this because it violates the drug-free workplace mantra mose places have.

However, the National Football League isn't most places, and their union, IMHO is more of a joke than anything.

Maybe they should spend more time teaching the players about saving their money so it's there beyond their playing days instead of buying 5 houses, 30 cars, and a huge boat.

These players, uncluding the ones making the "minimum" make more in a year than the average Joe makes in five years. Yet the NFLPA says that they don't make enough, that they need more of the pie.

The politics played in the NFL really piss me off. I'd love to make $500,000 a year to practice and sit on a bench for the most part of my career.

SteelCityMan786
11-01-2008, 11:06 PM
The NFLPA should shut up. Holmes got caught doing something out of line, was punished, and served it.

chucknh
11-01-2008, 11:23 PM
well Goodell and NFLPA are not the same thing. Goodell and the league did not get involved with the Giants who benched Plaxico for missing meetings so I dont think this has to do with the league obstructing teams disciplining their players.

The severity of the suspension depends on whether he has tested positive in the past for marijuana. If this is a first time offense, NO suspension by the league will be recommended.

SunshineMan21
11-01-2008, 11:43 PM
The Union doesn't have a leg to stand on, and Tomlin is right to let them know it.

He can do whatever he damn well wants to in regard to activating players . . . it wasn't even an official suspension.

Hasn't the league got anything better to do than crap like this?

Steelman16
11-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Hasn't the league got anything better to do than crap like this?

No, Brady's out, so it's basically a strike season anyway. :coffee: They're just keepin' their thumbs twiddled.

I'm glad Tomlin put his fists up. Seriously. Wow.

Galax Steeler
11-02-2008, 06:08 AM
I don't see what the big deal is he done something wrong and was punished for it so why are they sticking there noses in it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-02-2008, 05:08 PM
VERY good point. Sadly enough I see this scenario play out concerning my union on an almost daily basis. (protecting the lazy malcontents) What's even sadder is that I'm a teacher.

I hear you. I see it in industry and Nursing a lot too. Some of the membership hates their job and instead of finding a new one, they do as little as possible and hide behind the union rights and agreement.

On the other hand, some of the truly great Nurses, Teachers, workers, that are good at what they do, try to pickup the slack from the malcontents laziness. In industry, somebody ususally tells them to slow down because they are making the average guy look bad and taking away jobs (joke).

Get caught with illegal substance....get benched. Seems cut and dry to me.

chucknh
11-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Get caught with illegal substance....get benched. Seems cut and dry to me.[/QUOTE]

Well the player needs to enter a drug surveillance program which needs to be administered by the league.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Well the player needs to enter a drug surveillance program which needs to be administered by the league.

I dont understand how this has any bearing on why the NFLPA would think Holmes benching was unproper? The Steelers deactivated him for the game and from what I understand....he got a paycheck for the game.