PDA

View Full Version : Woodley says ready to play...

GBMelBlount
11-01-2008, 06:09 AM
Steelers Notebook: Woodley says he's ready to play

Calf injury won't keep linebacker from Washington game on Monday night

Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley said he doesn't know how he injured his calf against the New York Giants. But he does know it feels well enough to practice and play against the Washington Redskins.

Woodley, who is second on the team with 7.5 sacks, returned to practice yesterday for the first time this week and said he doesn't expect any problems about being ready to face the Redskins.

However, guard Chris Kemoeatu did not practice because of an ankle sprain and was replaced by Trai Essex. The Steelers are hoping Kemoeatu will return to practice today -- their final full workout before Monday's game.

Also, Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu did not attend practice because he was given the day off for non-injury reasons.

"I didn't get hit; I didn't fall on it. It just started hurting," Woodley said of his injury. "But the extra day [of practice] really helped because I could let it heal an extra day."

In addition to Woodley, defensive end Aaron Smith returned to practice after being excused for personal reasons.
Defending the defender

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau jumped to the defense of free safety Anthony Smith, who has been bypassed for Tyrone Carter as a replacement for injured Ryan Clark.

Smith began last season rotating every third series with Clark and became the starter in Week 7 after Clark was diagnosed with an inflamed spleen. But, after allowing a number of deep passes, Smith was eventually replaced by Carter.

"His first year, he probably played the most because he and Ryan were rotating, as you recall, and he played very well," LeBeau said of the third-year safety. "We believe that's the kind of player he is. We all go through ups and downs. I think he's recovered very well.

"From day one in training camp, he's come in with a great attitude. He's worked hard, hasn't been in any trouble, he's been a joy to coach. Like all players, he has some better times and some tough times, and I think he's gone through his tough times and he's ready to be real productive again."

continued

Saturday, November 01, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08306/924582-66.stm

stillers4me
11-01-2008, 07:24 AM
At last some good news! :tt02:

I know Troy will be at his wife's side if need be, and that's where he should be.

But the thought of not having both Troy and Ryan Clark on the field makes me want throw up.

Bring on the Wood!

steelpride12
11-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Great news, seems most of the injuries are healing up well as the Steelers look for a tough win Monday night.
Man Wood gets that whole defense pumped up game after game and we will need his presence on the field then.

LVSteelersfan
11-01-2008, 07:07 PM
I read Troys wife had the baby and he will be playing Monday night. Thank heavens. The thought of Smith AND Carter back there together makes me extremely ill.

Rhee Rhee
11-02-2008, 03:39 AM
let's hope Lebeau brings the house on these blitzes and hopefully the D can grab a few INTs

Galax Steeler
11-02-2008, 06:14 AM
Thats good news Woodley ready to play hopefully he can add to his sack total this week.
I am glad Troys wife had the baby it will be good to see him on the field monday night as well.

chucoblack&gold
11-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Woodley was a beast today!!!:tt02: