PDA

View Full Version : Would you vote for Spaceport America?

tony hipchest
11-01-2008, 04:46 PM
this is probably the most important item on my local ticket.

raise gross receipt tax (GRT) 1/8th of 1% (which means one penny for every 8 dollars spent).

25% will be used for earmarking and funding the expansion of science, engineering, techinical and math programs that will support aerospace industry in our local schools.

some tidbits-

richard branson (virgin records, virgin airlines, and NOW virgin galactic) is in partnership with the state of NM to open and operate the 1st commercial space travel port in the world.

set to open in 2010, 45,000 people have already signed up for commercial space flights at a whopping $250,000 per person, per flight. thats billions of dollars.

estimates say the spaceport will create 2300 jobs and $300 mil in payroll w/in 5 years.

our area is the best spot for a spaceport in america. high elevation, year round great weather, low population density, and restricted airspace thanks to white sands missle range and holloman air force base, make it the perfect location for this commercial opportunity.

a space flight out of our earths atmosphere, from here to japan, would take just 45 minutes as opposed to the all day endeavour it is currently by plane.

IT WILL GET CHEAPER. back in the 50's a flight from NYC to Rome cost over $5000. nowadays, that same flight is just about $700 bucks. when adjusted for inflation and todays dollars this is amazing.

ive actually heard of a few people who are against voting for this here. :doh:

i dont get it. sometimes a short term tax increase can pay HUGE divedends down the road.

revefsreleets
11-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Yes. We are getting CRUSHED in science and math, and everything we can do to right that wrong will help.

Eisenhower and Kennedy both really helped get us back on track in both areas with the moonshot initiative. Kids will be more interested in learning about something that has some real practical appeal, like working towards this project. And the tax is progressive and small for the people who don't have much money.

If we could get more people turned onto science it would right some other wrongs we have running amok in our society as well.

I like the fact that this isn't some crazy impossible shit like Jerry Brown was proposing a few years back (that California start it's own space program). This is a very realistic and achievable goal.

X-Terminator
11-01-2008, 05:05 PM
I'd vote for this in a heartbeat. One of my biggest beefs with tax increases is because of all of the govt. waste; this is something that IMO tax dollars should be used for.

devilsdancefloor
11-01-2008, 05:13 PM
anything to help getting kids fired up about math and science! i think this is just the thing( wonder if tang will see a increase in sales :chuckle:)

Steel Duck
11-01-2008, 05:18 PM
I would vote yes for this!
See tax increases for the right programs is sometimes a good idea! Imagine that my fellow republicans!!!:flap:

devilsdancefloor
11-01-2008, 05:49 PM
well this is how it starts great idea and then....

MasterOfPuppets
11-01-2008, 06:02 PM
sorry tony..... i'm just not down wit it..:shake02:

:rofl:

Dodt
11-01-2008, 11:49 PM
hey if they actually send you to somewhere , i'd hate to spend a couple of trillion on a space port so you can just float around for a couple days.

tony hipchest
11-01-2008, 11:57 PM
couple of trillion? :huh:

MACH1
11-02-2008, 12:25 AM
hey if they actually send you to somewhere , i'd hate to spend a couple of trillion on a space port so you can just float around for a couple days.

I could think of a few things to do just floating around. :naughty:

tony hipchest
11-05-2008, 09:41 AM
http://www.alamogordonews.com/news/ci_10901946

unFREAKINGbelievable! :banging:

one penny for every 8 bucks spent !?!?!?!

people lose that in their couches or throw it away and dont think twice.

At Pepper's Grill Tuesday night, Spaceport America proponents gathered to watch election results and stand together.

The New Mexico Spaceport Authority had hopes of adding Otero County to the regional spaceport district and its tax rolls. As of 11 p.m. with all votes but absentee in the spaceport tax was losing with 47.74 percent f the voters in favor of the tax and 52.26 percent against it.

Spaceport America Executive Director Steve Landeene said where he and other supporters were able to talk to folks, they had a 100 percent turnaround of opinion.

"But the question is, did we get to everybody?" Landeene said. "Did we get enough and did the message resonate?"

A question on the ballot asked voters if the county should add a gross receipts tax of one-eighth of 1 percent for spaceport district operations for the next 10 years, with one-fourth of collections earmarked for local education.

In all, Otero County's tax contribution would amount to about 2 percent of the total spaceport investment, with other operational revenue coming from Sierra and Doa Ana counties, private investors and state coffers. Sierra and Doa Ana had already passed the spaceport tax.
i dont get it.

-robert goddard launched his 1st rocket just north of here.
-we have the international space hall of fame.
-pluto was discovered from here.
-ham, the first chimp into space was trained and buried here.
-white sands freaking missle range!
-the x prixe cup is hosted here every year.
-we have the longest high speed test track in the damn world. :dang:

do these people not realize the impact of having the 1st spaceport on the entire planet in our backyard will have on our economy. were talking about attracting thousands of millionaires coming here for vacation.

ever been to vegas and see all the rich asians who flock there to throw away their money? in 20 years they will be flying via this spaceport in 45 orbit outside the atmosphere and then hopping on a charter to nevada. :doh:

im outraged. i though for sure this was a no brainer, win in a landslide decision. had i known i woulda been out waving signs and knocking on doors. :banging:

stupid, stupid, people

Leftoverhard
11-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Agreed Tony, unbelievable...I really thought this was a no brainer.

xfl2001fan
11-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Wow...I'm guessing the message about additional funds/jobs coming into your community wasn't spread around hard enough.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-05-2008, 10:23 AM
:doh:...hit the wrong button....This is a GREAT idea....thats what I get for trying to work and type at the same time!!!

X-Terminator
11-05-2008, 10:36 AM
I can't believe this didn't pass either. It's a wonderful idea and opportunity - the next step in the evolution of passenger airlines and human space travel, and it was shot down. The only thing I can think of is that some people don't expect this tax to expire and voted against it. That's too bad - as big a fiscal conservative as I am, this is something that will ultimately benefit everyone, not just those who can afford the flights, and should have public financing.

klick81
11-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Wow...some people just don't get it.

fansince'76
11-05-2008, 10:51 AM
It's almost as if "tax" is a 4-letter word. Mention that word, no matter how small it is and how worthwhile the project is it would be funding, and people will still vote against it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-05-2008, 10:51 AM
I can't believe this didn't pass either. It's a wonderful idea and opportunity - the next step in the evolution of passenger airlines and human space travel, and it was shot down. The only thing I can think of is that some people don't expect this tax to expire and voted against it. That's too bad - as big a fiscal conservative as I am, this is something that will ultimately benefit everyone, not just those who can afford the flights, and should have public financing.

I think at this point with the economy...some people see "tax" and panic.....the same mindset happened in our state when a vote regarding a constitutional convention....it failed as it should have...but got way more votes then it should have by people who knee-jerked voted into thinking that it was proposing looking into a "new-improved" constitution....instead of it being the pension reduction it was meant for.

MACH1
11-05-2008, 10:53 AM
I thought for sure that would pass. It must be Bush's fault. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
11-05-2008, 11:04 AM
speaking of "bush"-
these sites have some pictures. i think it looks killer, although some appearantly dont agree... :chuckle:
http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/070904_virgingalactic_spaceport.htmlGOLDEN, Colorado -- Architectural and engineering teams have begun shaping the look and feel of New Mexico's Spaceport America, taking the wraps off new images today that showcase the curb appeal of the sprawling main terminal and hangar at the futuristic facility.

Last month, a team of U.S. and British architects and designers had been recommended for award to design the primary terminal and hangar facility at Spaceport America structures that symbolize the world's first purpose-built commercial spaceport.

Selected from an international field of eleven firms, the winning design is the work of URS Corporation a large design and engineering enterprise teamed with Foster + Partners of the United Kingdom, a group with extensive experience in crafting airport buildings.

When the 100,000 square-foot (9,290 square-meter) facility is completed -- the centerpiece of the world's first, purpose-built, commercial spaceport -- the structures will serve as the primary operating base for Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic suborbital spaceliner, and also as the headquarters for the New Mexico Spaceport Authority.

The terminal and hangar facility will also provide room for aircraft and spacecraft, and Virgin Galactic's operations facilities, including pre-flight and post-flight facilities, administrative offices, and lounges. The spacious maintenance hangar can hold two White Knight Two carrier aircraft and five SpaceShipTwo spaceliners vessels now under construction at Scaled Composites in Mojave, California.

Destination experience

The terminal and hangar facility are projected to cost about $31 million, and will provide a "Destination Experience" for visitors to Spaceport America. Virgin Galactic intends to sign a 20-year lease for approximately 84,000 square feet (7,803 square meters) in the building.

"The URS/Foster team presented us with a concept that blends sensitivity to the environment, cutting-edge technology and a stunning image and shape when viewed from high above," noted Kelly O'Donnell, chair of the New Mexico Spaceport Authority in a press statement last month.

The design chosen is a low-lying, striking bit of construction that uses natural earth as a berm, and relies on passive energy for heating and cooling, with photovoltaic panels for electricity and water recycling capabilities. A rolling concrete shell acts as a roof with massive windows opening to a view of the runway and spacecraft.

According to a press statement released today, the low-lying, organic shape resembles a rise in the landscape, and will use local materials and regional construction techniques.

"A careful balance between accessibility and privacy is achieved, as visitors and astronauts enter the building through a deep channel cut in the landscape," the statement noted. "The walls will form an exhibition area leading to a galleried level above the hangar that houses the spacecraft and on through to the terminal building. Natural light enters via skylights, with a glazed faade reserved for the terminal building, establishing a platform for spectacular views onto the runway."

Construction on the 100,000 square-foot hangar and terminal facility is scheduled to begin in 2008.

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/09/spaceport_america_to_open_in_2.php

For poor people it will be a tourist attraction. It will be the headquarters of the XPrize Cup and the Rocket Racing League. It will also look like a giant public restroom toilet seat when viewed from above

it looks like a giant vagina

It also reminds me of the brain bug from Starship Troopers (which was obviously meant to look like a vulva as well).

Isn't it amazing to see how much we've advanced in technology? We're now able to construct a "spaceport" that will no doubt be able to give birth to planes every 9 months. And not only that, but the structure itself appears to be cleanly shaven. The interior also appears to be clean and nice, but we should still be careful about STD's...

I didn't know Georgia O'Keefe was designing spaceports. Especially since she's supposed to be dead. Nothing says futuristic and awesome like a giant vag.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Lockheed Martin has signed a memorandum of understanding with Spaceport America .....It seems that Lockheed wants to perform tests at the spaceport site....the military advantages are ATRONOMICAL!!!!

Blitzburgh_Fever
11-07-2008, 03:28 PM
My suspicion is no matter what this is going in, this was just the easiest way to generate the necessary funds without a tie to another, outside company or other grants.