PDA

View Full Version : Why must they sing?

Hammer67
11-03-2008, 10:08 AM
What is the point of musicals? I mean, seriously....

My wife and I got the Sweeny Todd Blu Ray delivered from Netflix over the weekend and we popped it in last night. I am a fan of Tim Burton and my wife, of course, loves Johnny Depp. So, we fired up the old PS3 and popped it in. After about 10 minutes we had turned it off and I sent the movie back today. After the second song, we lost interest. Musicals are just silly...IMHO.

I mean, what's the point?

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2008, 10:11 AM
What is the point of musicals? I mean, seriously....

My wife and I got the Sweeny Todd Blu Ray delivered from Netflix over the weekend and we popped it in last night. I am a fan of Tim Burton and my wife, of course, loves Johnny Depp. So, we fired up the old PS3 and popped it in. After about 10 minutes we had turned it off and I sent the movie back today. After the second song, we lost interest. Musicals are just silly...IMHO.

I mean, what's the point?

Welcome to my world Hammer.....I think if I am a bad person...and I die....I will spend eternity strapped to a chair being forced to watch High School Musical and all the subsequent sequals!!!!!!!!!

(cant wait for my daughter to outgrow this bubble-gum pop)

Hammer67
11-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Welcome to my world Hammer.....I think if I am a bad person...and I die....I will spend eternity strapped to a chair being forced to watch High School Musical and all the subsequent sequals!!!!!!!!!

(cant wait for my daughter to outgrow this bubble-gum pop)

Well, I bet my baby girl will go through that phase. But, with pre pubescent girls, I can accept musicals have a place. But, please...CHicago? Moulin Rouge? Sweeny Todd? Hairspray??? Wastes of time....

My wife and I looked at each other when Depp started singing as if we were in for a long evening....

Leftoverhard
11-03-2008, 10:17 AM
We agree on something. Specifically the Sweeney Todd musical. Awful, awful. It was sealed back into its little red envelope and thrown into the mailbox faster than you can say "even my girlfriend hated it."

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Well, I bet my baby girl will go through that phase. But, with pre pubescent girls, I can accept musicals have a place. But, please...CHicago? Moulin Rouge? Sweeny Todd? Hairspray??? Wastes of time....

My wife and I looked at each other when Depp started singing as if we were in for a long evening....

Wait until that sweet girl of yours has you sit through Christian Bale singing in the musical "Newsies"!!!!....

TailgateMel
11-03-2008, 10:41 AM
The only good musical was the south park movie

Hammer67
11-03-2008, 10:50 AM
The only good musical was the south park movie

Ahh...good point! Although, for some reason, I found that to be more of a satire on musicals.

beSteelmyheart
11-04-2008, 10:28 AM
That's the reason I'm not too crazy about animated Disney movies-I can do without the songs. Thankfully, Pixar doesn't bother with that crap.

Vis
11-04-2008, 10:33 AM
How can you not like Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

TailgateMel
11-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Ahh...good point! Although, for some reason, I found that to be more of a satire on musicals.

you mean "uncle F8cker" wasn't supposed to be serious?? :flap:

I don't like singing either.. I didn't like the Drew Carey episodes where they sang either...

Mel

revefsreleets
11-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Perhaps they are filled with the spirit of Obama?

Hammer67
11-04-2008, 10:57 AM
How can you not like Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Only when I was about 5....otherwise, very easily.

MACH1
11-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Its like "Grease Lightning"

fansince'76
11-04-2008, 11:52 AM
How to ruin a classic album - see Tommy. Oliver Reed, Ann Margaret and Jack Nicholson butchering Who tunes. Ugh. Musicals suck.

tony hipchest
11-04-2008, 11:56 AM
monty pythons "the meaning of life" was good. although not quite a musical, they do break into some good (funny) songs.

revefsreleets
11-04-2008, 12:00 PM
"Every sperm is sacred. Every sperm is great. If a sperm gets wasted, God gets quite irate!"

tony hipchest
11-04-2008, 12:05 PM
"Every sperm is sacred. Every sperm is great. If a sperm gets wasted, God gets quite irate!":toofunny: exactly! i think my favorite part of the movie is where she is just standing there in the kitchen and the baby just plops out onto the floor.

revefsreleets
11-04-2008, 12:12 PM
http://www.railwaysleeper.com/Monty%20python's%20Mr.Creosote_WEB.jpg

http://bigpicture.fancast.com/041108-montypythonmeaningof.jpg

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-04-2008, 12:13 PM
I like old movies....as a rule..whenever anyone is making a "new" musical...they should look around and if they dont see a 35 year old Gene Kelly.......STOP!

tony hipchest
11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
BRING ME a BAUHGHHHKET!

or looking for the tiger? his arm was bit "sort of off".

the final title song is pretty creative. quite a headtrip if your under the right influence.

stlrtruck
11-04-2008, 01:29 PM
The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Does that get a pass on your list?

Hammer67
11-04-2008, 01:54 PM

Nope... :laughing:

fansince'76
11-04-2008, 01:56 PM

Forgot about Rocky Horror, but there is actual dialogue in it as well. When I think "musical" I think no dialogue and all singing. Either way, Rocky Horror is awesome.