PDA

View Full Version : Obama Tells SF Chronicle He Will Bankrupt Coal Industry

MACH1
11-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Obama Tells SF Chronicle He Will Bankrupt Coal Industry

Imagine if John McCain had whispered somewhere that he was willing to bankrupt a major industry? Would this declaration not immediately be front page news? Well, Barack Obama actually flat out told the San Francisco Chronicle (SF Gate) that he was willing to see the coal industry go bankrupt in a January 17, 2008 interview. The result? Nothing. This audio interview has been hidden from the public...until now. Here is the transcript of Obama's statement about bankrupting the coal industry (emphasis mine):

Let me sort of describe my overall policy.

What I've said is that we would put a cap and trade system in place that is as aggressive, if not more aggressive, than anybody else's out there.

I was the first to call for a 100% auction on the cap and trade system, which means that every unit of carbon or greenhouse gases emitted would be charged to the polluter. That will create a market in which whatever technologies are out there that are being presented, whatever power plants that are being built, that they would have to meet the rigors of that market and the ratcheted down caps that are being placed, imposed every year.

So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted.

That will also generate billions of dollars that we can invest in solar, wind, biodiesel and other alternative energy approaches.

The only thing I've said with respect to coal, I haven't been some coal booster. What I have said is that for us to take coal off the table as a (sic) ideological matter as opposed to saying if technology allows us to use coal in a clean way, we should pursue it.

So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can.
It's just that it will bankrupt them.

Amazing that this statement by Obama about bankrupting the coal industry has been kept under wraps until this time.

UPDATE: NewsBusters' Tom Blumer has found out that the San Francisco Chronicle story published on January 18 based upon this January 17 interview did not include any mention of Obama's willingness to bankrupt the coal industry which you can hear on the audio. You can read the story here when you scroll down to the "In His Own Words" section. Way to cover up for The One, SF Chronicle!

http://newsbusters.org/node/25829?q=blogs/p-j-gladnick/2008/11/02/hidden-audio-obama-tells-sf-chronicle-he-will-bankrupt-coal-industry

AUDIO:

A7iObjJXHNU&feature

revefsreleets
11-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Bad news, greenies. 1/4 of the world's coal is in the US, and half of our electricity is derived from coal. So how will you power your little electric cars without coal plants to get the electricity from?

Hines0wnz
11-03-2008, 07:18 PM
But its okay, coz he's not Bush!

:coffee:

SteelCityMan786
11-03-2008, 07:51 PM
But its okay, coz he's not Bush!

:coffee:

I don't buy it.

43Hitman
11-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't buy it.

Elaborate please.

The Patriot
11-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Then Obama sneered, twirled his curly black mustache, and made his escape.

MasterOfPuppets
11-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Then Obama sneered, twirled his curly black mustache, and made his escape.

:toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
11-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Elaborate please.

97% voter with his own party. Wants to spend the extra dollars that we don't have like Bush did. Has a spending plan that would raise taxes.

43Hitman
11-03-2008, 10:17 PM
97% voter with his own party. Wants to spend the extra dollars that we don't have like Bush did. Has a spending plan that would raise taxes.

Take no offense in what I am about to say. Thank God a younger person gets it. All we hear is how much the future of our nation is moving towards Obama. Personally I think our youth is smart enough to realize we are being hustled. Which bodes well for our future leaders. You, SteelCityMan.

Preacher
11-04-2008, 05:55 AM
You know, if we just had two more weeks, I really think this election would change....

then again, if we really had a decent candidate to run against Obama.

stillers4me
11-04-2008, 06:13 AM
You know, if we just had two more weeks, I really think this election would change....

then again, if we really had a decent candidate to run against Obama.

Absolutely.......Mac is just hitting his stride and getting the message out at the last minute. Of course, if the media machine had actually done it's job all along, the tide would have turned weeks ago.

KeiselPower99
11-04-2008, 07:58 AM
No Obama supporters touching this one eh??? If this was out 2 maybe 3 weeks ago he would be screwed. At least Palin gets it.

Vis
11-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Clean coal plants wouldn't have the tax problem Only black smoke plants would. Do you all support dirty coal?

revefsreleets
11-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Clean coal plants wouldn't have the tax problem Only black smoke plants would. Do you all support dirty coal?

You do realize that it will costs trillions to make this switch right?

How, exactly, will we pay for this, along with all the other 957 other new expensive programs that will be launched under a lib Congress and President? With tax cuts thrown in too boot.

Can't we just all admit that Obama is going to tax the Hell out of just about everybody sooner or later, or we're going to triple the deficit in the next 4 years?

Vis
11-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Instead of laws to stop polluters a company that proposed to destroy everyone's air, water, etc..., should have to ask for a law allowing it.

Edman
11-04-2008, 08:56 AM
"I'm going to tax companies more who commit to more emissions and don't use clean coal technology"

Spun into...

"I'm going to bankrupt the coal industry"

Spin. Spin. Spin. Be careful, you might get dizzy.:toofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-04-2008, 09:07 AM

Sure...all conservatives just LOVE dirty coal...:doh:

Look at the quote again...

..... if technology allows us to use coal in a clean way, we should pursue it.

So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can.

It's just that it will bankrupt them.

In other words...ALL Coal is off the table as far as he is concerned...because the cost of cleaning coal would bankrupt a company..

Look at the definition of clean coal:

Clean Coal: Coal for which efforts have been taken to reduce the emission of pollutants, such as sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides. Chemical washing and gasification are two clean coal techniques, while carbon sequestration is a way of limiting greenhouse gas emission from coal.

Because coal produces numerous pollutants, and removing any one of them is often only partial, "clean coal" is a relative term...and up to the government as to how they want it defined.

SOOOOOOOO....Bankrupt businesses that do not meet "government standards" for clean coal emmisions... Fine the businesses that do not supply "government standard" insurance to all their employees....Fine families that do not have "government standard" insurance for their children...Tax the owners of businesses in order to redistribute their profit outside of their employees and growth potential...

....still dont see a problem?

revefsreleets
11-04-2008, 09:13 AM
This comes down to one thing: Lack of common sense. There cannot be a "Green at any cost" agenda because it will literally destroy our economy.

Nobody WANTS to destroy the ecosystem of this planet, but we have to be smart about how we go about making changes to protect the environment.

MACH1
11-04-2008, 11:19 AM
"I'm going to tax companies more who commit to more emissions and don't use clean coal technology"

Spun into...

"I'm going to bankrupt the coal industry"

Spin. Spin. Spin. Be careful, you might get dizzy.:toofunny:

Coal power plants provide 49% of electricity for the country. So lets shut them down for burning coal and the people will just have to suffer the consequences. Smart, smart move on Nobama's side. :doh:

Thats alright the sheeples will suffer too.

Vis
11-04-2008, 11:22 AM
This comes down to one thing: Lack of common sense. There cannot be a "Green at any cost" agenda because it will literally destroy our economy.

Nobody WANTS to destroy the ecosystem of this planet, but we have to be smart about how we go about making changes to protect the environment.

You discount the jobs created by green technologies. We need to create the better way and then sell it. But there has to be incentive for that better way.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Instead of laws to stop polluters a company that proposed to destroy everyone's air, water, etc..., should have to ask for a law allowing it.

Have you ever had a post with actual facts and insightful information? Because your not witty or informative.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-04-2008, 11:25 AM
You discount the jobs created by green technologies. We need to create the better way and then sell it. But there has to be incentive for that better way.

"that better way"....please elaborate instead of generalizing...:doh:

cubanstogie
11-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Coal power plants provide 49% of electricity for the country. So lets shut them down for burning coal and the people will just have to suffer the consequences. Smart, smart move on Nobama's side. :doh:

I am starting to believe the perceptions other countries have about us. We are fat, dumb, lazy. If Obama wins the proof is in the pudding. People believe his line of crap and are focusing on their handout out gifts only. That is the small picture. Obama is the candle and his cult followers are a bunch of moths. This guy has big government written all over him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-04-2008, 11:29 AM

Thank you for actual figures and facts....the other sides generalities are getting old.

Vis
11-04-2008, 11:29 AM
"that better way"....please elaborate instead of generalizing...:doh:

You know, the alternative fuels, energy independence that the right talks about but never supports.

Clean coal, hydrogen, electrical vehicles, wind, solar, etc... Like everything else the cost will go down as they develop and the efficiency will go up. But there needs to be a reason a start in the use of these technologies. T Boone is right on this. He also will make a mint on it.

If another country develops the technologies they win. We need incentives to win this race.

Vis
11-04-2008, 11:34 AM

This is the sad fact that needs changing. We can have a better, cleaner source ith some effort. The rewards, as I explained above, are great.

MACH1
11-04-2008, 11:34 AM
You know, the alternative fuels, energy independence that the right talks about but never supports.

Clean coal, hydrogen, electrical vehicles, wind, solar, etc... Like everything else the cost will go down as they develop and the efficiency will go up. But there needs to be a reason a start in the use of these technologies. T Boone is right on this. He also will make a mint on it.

If another country develops the technologies they win. We need incentives to win this race.

Its not a race.
And what exactly have the Dem's come up with, besides empty promises, talk and sky rocketing energy bills.

revefsreleets
11-04-2008, 11:38 AM
So what happens to the millions of people currently working in coal or oil and gas?

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-04-2008, 11:40 AM

Really...the "right" never supports alternative energy....???...really?

Here is McCains stance on Investing In Clean, Alternative Sources Of Energy

John McCain Believes That The U.S. Must Become A Leader In A New International Green Economy. Green jobs and green technology will be vital to our economic future. There is no reason that the U.S. should not be a leader in developing and deploying these new technologies.

John McCain Will Commit $2 Billion Annually To Advancing Clean Coal Technologies. Coal produces the majority of our electricity today. Some believe that marketing viable clean coal technologies could be over 15 years away. John McCain believes that this is too long to wait, and we need to commit significant federal resources to the science, research and development that advance this critical technology. Once commercialized, the U.S. can then export these technologies to countries like China that are committed to using their coal - creating new American jobs and allowing the U.S. to play a greater role in the international green economy.

John McCain Will Put His Administration On Track To Construct 45 New Nuclear Power Plants By 2030 With The Ultimate Goal Of Eventually Constructing 100 New Plants. Nuclear power is a proven, zero-emission source of energy, and it is time we recommit to advancing our use of nuclear power. Currently, nuclear power produces 20% of our power, but the U.S. has not started construction on a new nuclear power plant in over 30 years. China, India and Russia have goals of building a combined total of over 100 new plants and we should be able to do the same. It is also critical that the U.S. be able to build the components for these plants and reactors within our country so that we are not dependent on foreign suppliers with long wait times to move forward with our nuclear plans.

John McCain Will Establish A Permanent Tax Credit Equal To 10 Percent Of Wages Spent On R&D. This reform will simplify the tax code, reward activity in the U.S., and make us more competitive with other countries. A permanent credit will provide an incentive to innovate and remove uncertainty. At a time when our companies need to be more competitive, we need to provide a permanent incentive to innovate, and remove the uncertainty now hanging over businesses as they make R&D investment decisions.

John McCain Will Encourage The Market For Alternative, Low Carbon Fuels Such As Wind, Hydro And Solar Power. According to the Department of Energy, wind could provide as much as one-fifth of electricity by 2030. The U.S. solar energy industry continued its double-digit annual growth rate in 2006. To develop these and other sources of renewable energy will require that we rationalize the current patchwork of temporary tax credits that provide commercial feasibility. John McCain believes in an even-handed system of tax credits that will remain in place until the market transforms sufficiently to the point where renewable energy no longer merits the taxpayers' dollars.
http://www.johnmccain.com/informing/Issues/17671aa4-2fe8-4008-859f-0ef1468e96f4.htm

You need to inform yourself before you make such statements.

McCain just doesnt believe Government has the right to purposefully bankrupt existing businesses.