PDA

View Full Version : ben needs to call out his protection

max10
11-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I was watching playbook on nfl network and they pointed out a play where a defensive end for the NY Giants showed blitz and then came in untouched to sack Big Ben. I also noticed that Ben was looking right at him before the snap and made no protection adjustments to give himself time in the pocket. I know what your thinking, well its a DE for crying out loud shouldn't the Lt know to pick him up?? well yes but sometimes you have to point out the obvious to your lineman especially the way the offensive line is playing for the steelers.

In another clip on playbook ( this is on nfl network at 8 pm on thursday and friday incase you have never seen it) they had Eli Manning show how he used his half back to pick up the sam blitz to buy himself enough time to hit Burress in the back of the end zone. Big Ben needs to help his line out any way he can. If you watch Peyton and Brady and they use a hard count to get the defense to show where the blitz is coming from and then they adjust there protection.

Im a true steelers fan dont get me wrong, I think Big Ben is a great QB and I believe that offensive line can improve with help. I hope the steelers establish the run, utilize playaction, and set the protection better. If they can do this I believe they have the talent to be the first franchise in nfl history to win 6 superbowls! :tt:

jjpro11
11-03-2008, 01:37 PM
people may get on you for criticizing ben, but blitz pickup has always been a weakness for him.

X-Terminator
11-03-2008, 01:40 PM
people may get on you for criticizing ben, but blitz pickup has always been a weakness for him.

I don't think too many people are going to disagree with that, actually. It's definitely something he's going to have to improve.

steelreserve
11-03-2008, 04:51 PM
He doesn't have to improve it if he learns karate.

max10
11-03-2008, 05:24 PM
He doesn't have to improve it if he learns karate.

lol:chuckle: