PDA

View Full Version : Kordell Stewart says Ben could learn from Campbell

Carolina Steelers
11-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Just saw Kordell on First Take on ESPN he said Ben could take a page from Jason Campbell you dont always need to make a big play just take your check down. Thats why Jason has no interceptions this year. Then the Host said Ben is a superbowl QB then Kordell said he can always learn something. (To me he had a little resentment on his face when he was talking) and by the way he picked Redskins over the Steelers.

tyler289
11-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Every QB in the NFL could learn from his peers. Ben needs to learn to get rid of the ball (throw it away..check down, etc) just like other QBs all have flaws.

Amazing how desperate First Take gets for guests.

fansince'76
11-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Sorry, I don't take much stock in a former "QB" (and I'm using that term VERY loosely here) who cost us two trips to the SB with his shitty play regarding his "advice" to Ben on how to play QB. And since the "advice" was broadcast on none other than the Disney Channel, errr, ESPN, I lend it even less credence. :coffee:

Tankus_Maximus
11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I would like to see Ben hit his check downs more often, rather than hold onto the ball forever and a day...his check down usually is a wide-open HEATH MILLER!!!

The_WARDen
11-03-2008, 12:44 PM
the next time Campbell or Kordella wins something...let me know.

:blah::blah::blah:

MasterOfPuppets
11-03-2008, 12:51 PM
i've seen pop warner QB's kordell could've taken a page from....:toofunny:

steelreserve
11-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Sorry, I don't take much stock in a former "QB" (and I'm using that term VERY loosely here) who cost us two trips to the SB with his shitty play regarding his "advice" to Ben on how to play QB. And since the "advice" was broadcast on none other than the Disney Channel, errr, ESPN, I lend it even less credence. :coffee:

Yeah, but in this case, it doesn't really matter who's saying it. Anyone but an idiot can see that Ben's taking a lot more dumb chances this season. He's always been good at improvising and making plays with his mobility, but that only helps when you scramble and THEN make a smart play. It doesn't work as well when you're consistently gambling on an off-balance throw into coverage, or on some moonball 40 yards down the field.

fansince'76
11-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah, but in this case, it doesn't really matter who's saying it. Anyone but an idiot can see that Ben's taking a lot more dumb chances this season. He's always been good at improvising and making plays with his mobility, but that only helps when you scramble and THEN make a smart play. It doesn't work as well when you're consistently gambling on an off-balance throw into coverage, or on some moonball 40 yards down the field.

Before the Giants game where he truly did play poorly (4 picks) he had 3 picks through six games, which would have put him at 8 for the year had that rate held. Be that as it may, I don't think Korkie is in any position to be giving advice on how to play QB in the NFL. On his worst day, Ben is still 10X the QB Korkie was on his best day, IMO.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2008, 01:12 PM

Sorry Kordell, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya!

OneForTheToe
11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
That would be like me me offering driving tips to jimmy johnson just because I made it to Wal-Mart from my house in under 15 minutes.

Steeldude
11-03-2008, 01:21 PM
kordell the worst QB in NFL history is giving advice on how to be a better QB? lmao.

jjpro11
11-03-2008, 01:35 PM
lol.. ease up folks.. korkie has actually supported the steelers on past shows. ben could learn the same thing from brady and manning. we need to start doing more checkdowns because the 10-20 yard play isnt always going to be there. for one, it will keep the defenses on their toes.. two, it will keep ben from getting hit so much.

Tagg67
11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Before the Giants game where he truly did play poorly (4 picks) he had 3 picks through six games, which would have put him at 8 for the year had that rate held. Be that as it may, I don't think Korkie is in any position to be giving advice on how to play QB in the NFL. On his worst day, Ben is still 10X the QB Korkie was on his best day, IMO.

"Korkie" also was one player who accused New England of taping games when he was with the Steelers. He said that it was like they knew exactly what play we were going to run every time...... Finally someone caught on to it and New England was finally caught red handed, but it was long after we lost big games back in the 1990's, and Kordell Stewart's rep was ruined.

JM 2 cents

fansince'76
11-03-2008, 01:52 PM
"Korkie" also was one player who accused New England of taping games when he was with the Steelers. He said that it was like they knew exactly what play we were going to run every time...... Finally someone caught on to it and New England was finally caught red handed, but it was long after we lost big games back in the 1990's, and Kordell Stewart's rep was ruined.

JM 2 cents

That's all well and good, but he still had no business playing QB.

LVSteelersfan
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Although Kordell was a crappy QB he does have a point. Ben does need to hit his checkdowns and not try to go for the home run ball as much as he does. We don't have the O-line to support that kind of game. I am not saying anyone should listen to Kordell, but what he is saying is just common sense.

rbryan
11-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I think its a pretty good point. Korkie wins a SB (or at lest gets us to one or two) and everyone is looking at him in a whole different light. Its already been established that the Patsies were cheating. Whose to say it didn't affect the outcome of the game.

To call him the worst QB in the history of the NFL just isn't being fair IMO. He did have his moments. Its not like we had a franchise QB waiting in the wings when he was playing.

fansince'76
11-03-2008, 02:14 PM
To call him the worst QB in the history of the NFL just isn't being fair IMO.

Agreed - Mark Malone was actually worse - way worse.

xfl2001fan
11-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Keep in mind that just because you can't "play" the QB position doesn't mean you can't coach it. Maybe he's looking back on his career and seeing all the mistakes he made and wishes to take some of that (now useless) knowledge/wisdom gained on a QB still not in the "Prime" of his NFL career. (You have no idea how scary that is for a Browns fan to admit publically.)

rbryan
11-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Cmon you know you liked Magnum when he first came up......lol Whatever happened to him BTW. I used to see him on TV all the time but its been a while.

I can still think of a lot of QB's that were worse.

Carolina Steelers
11-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I agree Kordell does catch a lot of hell from Steelers fan but you can make a case that he was are 3rd best QB ever behind Bradshaw & Ben

Brister was worse, Tomzcak, Malone, Stoudt, Odonnell was even worse in my eyes

rbryan
11-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Odonnell !!!!!

Please don't ever mention his name again......I mean it

lol

Edman
11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Jason Campbell is the definition of a game manager. He's is not called on to win games for the Redskins. He is only asked not to lose them, and so far, he's done a good job of that.

Yeah, Ben needs to do the checkdown better, but in all honesty, have we ever called passing plays that opened up safety valves for Ben to use? Heath is always called in to block, and that's where the O-Line struggles come in.

SteelerFanInCA
11-03-2008, 03:15 PM
That's just too funny. Kordell still needs to learn a few things himself.

MACH1
11-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey at least kordell made it to Joe Vs. Pro. Maybe the joes taught him something.

steelreserve
11-03-2008, 04:48 PM

Hey, don't get me wrong, Ben's still an awesome quarterback, and on most days, you don't see him making those kinds of mistakes. But in both our losses this season, he's gotten into that kind of desperate mentality -- against the Giants it led to INTs. Against other teams, it's mostly led to Ben taking a beating, if not by sacks, then by incomplete passes where he gets his shit ruined right after he lets go of the ball. I don't really know why it's happening, but I hope it goes away.

As for Kordell being in a position to criticize ... well, he's not. But as they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Dino 6 Rings
11-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Kind of like the way Kordell checked down his passing options in the 1998 AFC Title Game against Denver...when he had 3 interceptions and a fumble.

or the 2 ints in the 4th quarter of the 2002 AFC Title game.

Kiss My Arse Kordell.

xfl2001fan
11-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Look, I know Kordell was far from a good QB (though he is in the Steelers Top-3 Passing Yardage leaders all-time).

However, take what he says with a grain of salt. If you take off the hater-aid colored glasses, you might see he's trying to do something to better the QB you currently have. It's not bad advice...and it's not like he's saying he was a better QB than Ben is (if he thought that, his IQ would have to be half his career QB Rating).

If it was Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw or Steve Young saying the things Kordell said, how would you all be reacting?

rbryan
11-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I almost forgot about the Denver CG. Bellichick didn't have anything to do with that...lol

X-Terminator
11-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Look, I know Kordell was far from a good QB (though he is in the Steelers Top-3 Passing Yardage leaders all-time).

However, take what he says with a grain of salt. If you take off the hater-aid colored glasses, you might see he's trying to do something to better the QB you currently have. It's not bad advice...and it's not like he's saying he was a better QB than Ben is (if he thought that, his IQ would have to be half his career QB Rating).

If it was Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw or Steve Young saying the things Kordell said, how would you all be reacting?

Well, considering that all three of those guys have busts in Canton, I'd take their opinions a little more seriously than a guy who actually believed HE would have a bust in Canton but ended up being a spectacular failure.

xfl2001fan
11-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Well, considering that all three of those guys have busts in Canton, I'd take their opinions a little more seriously than a guy who actually believed HE would have a bust in Canton but ended up being a spectacular failure.

That's called confidence (no matter how foolishly high that confidence is.) He was confident in his abilities...even if he believed they were greater than they actually were. Then again, Cowher seemed pretty confident in him and his abilities too...but let's gloss over that at the moment.

Knowing how to be a QB and having the abilities to be a good QB are two different things.

He's not half the QB that Ben is...and Ben is likely to get better (if his O-line can help him stay healthy.)

PalmerSteel
11-03-2008, 05:25 PM
That's called confidence (no matter how foolishly high that confidence is.) He was confident in his abilities...even if he believed they were greater than they actually were. Then again, Cowher seemed pretty confident in him and his abilities too...but let's gloss over that at the moment.

there is a fine line between c_o_kyness, confindence, and stupidity. and that goes for everything in life :chuckle:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Kordell is just jealous.....Ben won a Super Bowl with Steelers while Kordell helped the Steelers lose two AFC title games....Plus Ben is on the verge on passing Kordell in career passing yards as a Steeler....Ben is number 3 and only needs over 300+ to pass Kordell for number 2......

Really Kordell giving advice on how to play QB in the NFL is a joke.....

xfl2001fan
11-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Kordell is just jealous.....Ben won a Super Bowl with Steelers while Kordell helped the Steelers lose two AFC title games....Plus Ben is on the verge on passing Kordell in career passing yards as a Steeler....Ben is number 3 and only needs over 300+ to pass Kordell for number 2......

Really Kordell giving advice on how to play QB in the NFL is a joke.....

In HS, I wasn't a great WR/DE. I had a little niche that I managed to make use of to get playing time...but I was never going to make it through College as a football player.

My youngest brother before his sophomore season decided he wanted to play organized football. Despite the fact that he had never played organized football in his life, he wanted to learn. So, before the two-a-days started during the summer, I worked with him several days a week. He was named a starter as a Sophomore in HS before the 2nd week of two-a-days over two Seniors and a couple of Juniors as a WR...and was a 2nd string DE.

I still worked with him some during the football season and only partying (drugs and alcohol) derailed him. It was the one thing that I couldn't seem to stop him from doing...and his interest waned the next summer so that he didn't bother trying out.

By mid-season, my brother was a better WR and more complete WR than I could ever have hoped to be. Just because he was a better WR, doesn't mean I couldn't offer him good advice. I didn't offer him advice out of spite. I didn't coach him up out of jealousy. I let him know what his weaknesses were so that he might improve.

Is it so hard to believe that this might also be the case for Kordell? Hater-aid tinted glasses.

SteelCityMan786
11-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Just saw Kordell on First Take on ESPN he said Ben could take a page from Jason Campbell you dont always need to make a big play just take your check down. Thats why Jason has no interceptions this year. Then the Host said Ben is a superbowl QB then Kordell said he can always learn something. (To me he had a little resentment on his face when he was talking) and by the way he picked Redskins over the Steelers.

He is still upset that the Steelers released him.

lilyoder6
11-03-2008, 07:26 PM
kordell is a joke and always will be a joke..
ben=sb ring
kordell=failure

SteelCityMan786
11-03-2008, 07:27 PM
kordell is a joke and always will be a joke..
ben=sb ring
kordell=failure

Enough Said. :sofunny:

Hines0wnz
11-03-2008, 11:06 PM
What can Ben learn now? :wink02:

iloveben7
11-03-2008, 11:19 PM
IMO Kordell shouldn't be giving Ben any advice. Ben had the most successful season as a rookie, won a Superbowl and is on pace to become one of the best QB's ever and what does Kordell and Campbell have going for them?

steelwall
11-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Ok....it's on..... Kordell vs Big Ben in a brawl:boxing: