PDA

View Full Version : Brady Quinn Era starts in Cleveland

RoethlisBURGHer
11-03-2008, 05:48 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArOYU88mTBIZurmLBhDcOyY5nYcB?slug=ap-browns-quinn&prov=ap&type=lgns

BEREA, Ohio (AP)—Quarterback Derek Anderson has been benched by the Cleveland Browns, who will start popular backup Brady Quinn on Thursday night against the Denver Broncos.

The switch was announced Monday by the team, just hours after coach Romeo Crennel said he had no plans to make a change.

Anderson, who has been inconsistent this season, threw a costly interception that was returned for a touchdown in the final minutes of Sunday’s 37-27 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. The pick prompted Browns fans to begin chants of “Brady! Brady!” for Quinn, the former Notre Dame star who has thrown just eight passes in two seasons.

A team spokesman said Crennel and Quinn would not be available for comment until Tuesday.

Earlier, Quinn was asked for his reaction to hearing fans call his name.

“We lost the game, really that’s all that matters,” he said. “That’s something in the NFL, everyone always loves the backup. That’s just how it is. It’s not any difference any place else.”

Anderson had gone 132 pass attempts without an interception before he was picked off by Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs, who ran it back 42 yards for a TD. Anderson finished 17-of-33 for 219 yards and two TDs, but the 25-year-old’s stats would have been even better if wide receiver Braylon Edwards hadn’t dropped a certain TD pass in the fourth quarter with the game tied.

Anderson led the Browns to 10 wins last season, and after an 0-3 start, he had guided the Browns (3-5) to three victories in their past four games before Sunday’s loss.

Crennel had hinted about a change at quarterback following a Sept. 21 loss at Baltimore. But he stuck with the strong-armed Anderson, a former backup who threw 29 TD passes last season and made the Pro Bowl.

During his news conference Monday, Crennel was asked if he was considering a change at quarterback.

“No, I haven’t really,” he said. “I haven’t had a chance to talk to the coaches or anything. With a short week, I told them to go ahead and get started on Denver. They haven’t even looked at this game yet.”

Crennel was then asked if Anderson was still his starter.

“Yes,” he said, “as of right now.”

With their playoff hopes in serious jeopardy, the Browns must feel it’s time to see what they have in Quinn, who didn’t play as a rookie until the final game of 2007, when he came in for one series and led the Browns to a field goal. Quinn was 3-of-8 for 45 yards and had a TD pass dropped by tight end Kellen Winslow.

On the first day of the 2007 draft, the Browns traded a first-round pick in 2008 to Dallas and selected Quinn with the No. 22 overall selection. Quinn had been expected to go much higher, but the four-year starter for the Fighting Irish sat in the wings at Radio City Music Hall in New York waiting for his name to be called.

In two starts during the exhibition season, Quinn completed 21 of 33 passes for 171 yards.

He can't do any worse, right? :sign03:

fansince'76
11-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Quinn will be the starter before October is over...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=425254#post425254

Close, very close. :chuckle:

Steeler in Carolina
11-03-2008, 06:02 PM
This means that they win not win another game. Brady Quinn? Are you kidding me. What a joke.

The Duke
11-03-2008, 06:07 PM
8 games late imo

but good for Quinn :thumbsup:

he might actually do something good for that team

49% completion percentage? anderson is a joke

revefsreleets
11-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Actually, I amended that to say mid-October. The variable I could NOT control was the complete mental retardation of Romeo Crennel.

I wonder if Anderson has some pictures somewhere of fat boy shctuping a little boy or something?

The Browns just got better. Quinn is a legit NFL talent. Anderson is a career back-up. It's probably too late now, but it'll matter next year. Then again, we play them the last game of the year, and we'll probably need that win...

rbryan
11-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Whats Cleveland going to do once they realize BQ isn't the answer ???? At least give the fans something to hang thier hopes on going into next year........lol

Typical knee jerk reaction. Poor miserable Brownie fans.......when will it end??

stillers4me
11-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Welcome to the NFL, Brady. Ketchya on Dec. 28th, if you survive that long.

revefsreleets
11-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Aha...you guys really think BQ sucks?

Whatever.

He'll struggle a bit at first, but he's going to be a good one.

xfl2001fan
11-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Aha...you guys really think BQ sucks?

Whatever.

He'll struggle a bit at first, but he's going to be a good one.

I hope you're right Rev...but I have never had any faith in him. It's sad that I want to see him play over the joke that has become DA. [sigh]

Sometimes, this get's real old.

revefsreleets
11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Look, I predicted DA's downfall, right?

Quinn has a good line in front of him. He has good skill players around him. Did you happen to notice the tailspin ND's program went into when he left?

He's a big strong kid. He has a good arm. He had some accuracy problems but he's had a year and a half at the highest level to work on that. He's a student of the game. He's run a pro offense effectively for years.

He'll take some lumps at first, but he's going to be fine.

I'm no fan of ND. I have no stake in this one way or the other. This is a completely neutral observation. But I've watched the kid play in person and he's "got it".

SteelCityMan786
11-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Hmmmm, no surprise. It was coming sooner or later.

Edman
11-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Which reminds me. I haven't seen hide or hair of 9-5...

RoethlisBURGHer
11-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Funny thing is, Romeo was saying that he hasn't even considered a QB switch. Anyone think this is the doing of one Phil Savage and/or Randy Lerner?

Romeo failed to do it when he should have, during the bye week, so now the higher ups are making the desicion for him. That's at least the way I see it. It's the end of Romeo Crennel in Cleveland (and the local buffets are very excited about that).

Preacher
11-04-2008, 12:58 AM
He'll win a couple games that will give people hope for the future. Though he will make costly mistakes.

I think the Browns just threw in the towel for this year, believing that they can give the guy practice for a good season next.

MasterOfPuppets
11-04-2008, 01:03 AM
didn't Quinn, "choke" in every " big" game he played in college ?

OneForTheToe
11-04-2008, 01:19 AM
An expected move, but why do it is a shortened week? That makes little sense. I doubt Quinn will have even have time this week to get his nails done, visit the salon and go antiquing.

The Duke
11-04-2008, 01:24 AM
An expected move, but why do it is a shortened week? That makes little sense. I doubt Quinn will have even have time this week to get his nails done, visit the salon and go antiquing.

lol

My guess is because he has a great matchup against a bad broncos defense :noidea:

Give his career a good start before it crumbles against the steelers in late december :tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
11-04-2008, 01:53 AM

He never beat USC, though he came close in his senior year and he never won a Bowl Game....actually he got killed by Ohio State and LSU in his two bowl games.

randy06
11-04-2008, 02:18 AM
lol does it really matter

revefsreleets
11-04-2008, 08:01 AM

Actually, he was really all ND had, so it was pretty easy to gameplan against the domers: Dedicate everything to stopping Quinn.

fansince'76
11-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Which reminds me. I haven't seen hide or hair of 9-5...

That troll was shown the door last week. :banned:

Probably a couple of months overdue since he never added anything of value here (even his screen name was a testament to his ignorance - the Browns have won EIGHT championships in their history, not NINE, if you choose to include 4 AAFC championships which are about as relevant as a USFL championship), but better late than never.

steelreserve
11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
This means that they win not win another game. Brady Quinn? Are you kidding me. What a joke.

Well, it's not really like they had a quarterback to begin with.

Heh, we're basically the only team in our division that does.

Dino 6 Rings
11-04-2008, 02:11 PM
9-5 was banned? Dang it, I miss all the good stuff...

anyway, about Quinn. At home against a very suspect defense in Denver. Not a bad time to give up on the season and start the kid. Cleveland is already out of the playoff race at 3-5, no way they can contend for a playoff spot, not with their schedule. So its a solid move for Romeo to try and keep his job this year.

xfl2001fan
11-04-2008, 02:27 PM
9-5 was banned? Dang it, I miss all the good stuff...

anyway, about Quinn. At home against a very suspect defense in Denver. Not a bad time to give up on the season and start the kid. Cleveland is already out of the playoff race at 3-5, no way they can contend for a playoff spot, not with their schedule. So its a solid move for Romeo to try and keep his job this year.

Romeo said in the press conference that Anderson was still the starter...then it was announced that Quinn was the new guy. I don't think this is Romeo's call...which begs to question whether or not he'll be around next season at all.

KeiselPower99
11-04-2008, 05:57 PM
They listen to the fans way to much up there Trent Dilfer even said that. Not Andersons fault they arent as good as last year. Edwards couldnt catch a cold this year. Welcome Brady and see ya in Dec.

steelpride12
11-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Ya lets listen to the fans of a 3 win team so far.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2008, 09:21 AM
I was hoping that DA would string them along a bit more and win last week. That way Grimace can coach for another season and continue the level of mediocrity in Cleveland.

Now, if Quinn has growing pains and the browns end up say 6-10.....Savage, Crennell and the bunch will be gone and maybe a decent regime will be hired. Go Brady Go!!

xfl2001fan
11-05-2008, 10:03 AM
I was hoping that DA would string them along a bit more and win last week. That way Grimace can coach for another season and continue the level of mediocrity in Cleveland.

Now, if Quinn has growing pains and the browns end up say 6-10.....Savage, Crennell and the bunch will be gone and maybe a decent regime will be hired. Go Brady Go!!

I doubt that Savage is gone anytime soon. He did help fix our offensive line (a huge issue through our "return" years. He did manage to bring in a NT that is playing like a NT should and hasn't done a terrible job (overalll) drafting. Responsible for bringing in a guy who can actually run the ball with some authority still and Alex Hall (7th round rookie) is starting to make some noise on our roster as a LOLB Pass Rushing complement to Kamerion Wimbley.

The blackmarks on his record are:
Derek Anderson (though he did play reasonably well at times last year and once or twice this season),
Leigh Bodden gone (but at least there was a gain there for us.)
Charlie Frye (though he was only a third round draft pick...)
Travis Wilson (WR, 3rd round 2006 draft)
Dante Stallworth (Huge Bust...if he could stay healthy, he might be worth half his paycheck...)

If Brady even looks remotely like a competent QB, Savage will get a huge gold star from Lerner.

With that being said, a 10-6 season is looking more and more like Cincinnati's double digit winning season a few years ago...a fluke.

Crennel on the other hand...hasn't done much to impress the rest of the football world and is probably never going to be more than a DC who benifitted from great tapes. Too bad I let my hopes get high enough to blind me to that fact (and last season really didnt' help matters much.)

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-05-2008, 01:16 PM
With that being said, a 10-6 season is looking more and more like Cincinnati's double digit winning season a few years ago...a fluke.

I called that at the beginning of this season...solely based on the Clevelands stats...and on Anderson's stats (which were less than stellar).....Anderson flashed moments of competance but all in all finished with numbers that had "great backup" written all over him.

That being said...I think that Brady will be better than most people realize...and I am not looking forward to playing against him in the future....this year he will have to grow into the postition, but the future looks bright for Cleveland if they draft a defense and a young stud RB.

xfl2001fan
11-05-2008, 01:26 PM
I called that at the beginning of this season...solely based on the Clevelands stats...and on Anderson's stats (which were less than stellar).....Anderson flashed moments of competance but all in all finished with numbers that had "great backup" written all over him.

That being said...I think that Brady will be better than most people realize...and I am not looking forward to playing against him in the future....this year he will have to grow into the postition, but the future looks bright for Cleveland if they draft a defense and a young stud RB.

We need a HB, WR2 (or TE and just move Winslow to the #2, because that's where he really belongs) and a DT to move to RDE...or just transition to a 4-3 defense...and draft a true linebacker...while moving guys like Hall/Wimbley to DE.

Need a NB too...I have no faith in Cousin performing as a NB...but being a player/coach...he'll be good for our young CBs.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-05-2008, 01:43 PM
XFL, if the Randy Lerner brings in Cowher, Phil Savage will be gone. One of Cowher's sticking points for a coaching job will to be the guy in sole power of player personnel desicions.

I don't see Savage taking a lesser role in player personnel desicions, so he'd quit. He's proven to be a rather competent GM and wouldn't be unemployed for long (say hello to Detroit).

xfl2001fan
11-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I dont' believe that Cowher is coming to Cleveland...with or without Savage. I think that Savage will have the choice in who he hires.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-05-2008, 01:50 PM
I dont' believe that Cowher is coming to Cleveland...with or without Savage. I think that Savage will have the choice in who he hires.

Then Phil Savage is going to have to hire a proven commodity. I don't think Randy Lerner is going to go for a guy who's either never done it before or has done it with no success....unless Savage wants to hire Chudzinski which I can see working out.

xfl2001fan
11-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Then Phil Savage is going to have to hire a proven commodity. I don't think Randy Lerner is going to go for a guy who's either never done it before or has done it with no success....unless Savage wants to hire Chudzinski which I can see working out.

I can Chud stepping up into a HC job...he might be able to pull that off. I think we've almost got enough of the right personnel to run a 4-3 defense...and our personnel are far better suited to running it than the 3-4.

LE DT DT RE
LOLB MLB ROLB

Williams, Smith, Rodgers, Wimbley

D. Jackson, A. Davis, A. Hall

You could possibly switch Wimbley and Hall out...or move D. Jackson to ROLB, and Wimbley/Hall to LOLB. Not sure. But I think we'd be a better defense if we ran something like that as opposed to a 3-4.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-05-2008, 02:51 PM
I can Chud stepping up into a HC job...he might be able to pull that off. I think we've almost got enough of the right personnel to run a 4-3 defense...and our personnel are far better suited to running it than the 3-4.

LE DT DT RE
LOLB MLB ROLB

Williams, Smith, Rodgers, Wimbley

D. Jackson, A. Davis, A. Hall

You could possibly switch Wimbley and Hall out...or move D. Jackson to ROLB, and Wimbley/Hall to LOLB. Not sure. But I think we'd be a better defense if we ran something like that as opposed to a 3-4.

You're probally right about that. When most of the pass rush is coming from the d-line and you're running a 3-4, something's wrong. A four man front like you suggested would be a very good defensive line.

lilyoder6
11-05-2008, 03:54 PM
if the brownies wanted to keep the 3-4 they could still throw in some 4-3 wrinkles.. all u had to do is put wimbley on the ground and u have 2 good d-lineman in rogers and williams... but still sec is a issue

xfl2001fan
11-05-2008, 05:26 PM
if the brownies wanted to keep the 3-4 they could still throw in some 4-3 wrinkles.. all u had to do is put wimbley on the ground and u have 2 good d-lineman in rogers and williams... but still sec is a issue

Our corners (while undersized) have made some big improvements. That's not to say (like the Mason TD Catch and run) that they don't make mistakes...but all CBs do. We're very young...but short of bringing in another high-priced FA...it's unlikely we'll see any major improvements without good consistent pass-rush.

If we transferred to the 4-3 like I was showing above...it'd be easier to stop the run and get a good pass rush.

KeiselPower99
11-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Bring back Schottenheimer.

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Our corners (while undersized) have made some big improvements. That's not to say (like the Mason TD Catch and run) that they don't make mistakes...but all CBs do. We're very young...but short of bringing in another high-priced FA...it's unlikely we'll see any major improvements without good consistent pass-rush.

If we transferred to the 4-3 like I was showing above...it'd be easier to stop the run and get a good pass rush.
geez dude !!! would you leave it alone already ??? we steeler fans like the brownies just the way they are !!! :sign03:

xfl2001fan
11-05-2008, 08:21 PM
It's a Cleveland Browns thread...and one not created by me. Don't like it, ask your fellow board members to not create Browns threads here. :flap:

tony hipchest
11-05-2008, 08:27 PM
congrats. the browns got the new "face" of their organization-

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/troll-723065.jpg

xfl2001fan
11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Momma Hipchest, is that you?

Nahh...she doesn't shave like that.

Yeah, that was real low. :flap:

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2008, 08:37 PM
It's a Cleveland Browns thread...and one not created by me. Don't like it, ask your fellow board members to not create Browns threads here. :flap:
ummmmm ........it was a joke....:noidea: ..... i was just pointing out that we (steeler fans) like the browns sucking...and you ( browns fan) keep suggesting improvements..... get it ??? haha....:noidea:

tony hipchest
11-05-2008, 08:37 PM
xfl2001fan jokes =

:poop:..... :poop:...... :poop:...... :poop:.....: :poop:..... :poop:..... :poop:..... :poop:... :poop:.... :poop:..... :poop:.....:poop:.......:poop:

:sofunny:

xfl2001fan
11-05-2008, 08:55 PM
xfl2001fan jokes =

:poop:..... :poop:...... :poop:...... :poop:.....: :poop:..... :poop:..... :poop:..... :poop:... :poop:.... :poop:..... :poop:.....:poop:.......:poop:

:sofunny:

Touche...glad you took what I said as a joke. Some other people apparently missed the :flap: reference to other posts I've made.

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Touche...glad you took what I said as a joke. Some other people apparently missed the :flap: reference to other posts I've made.sorry.....were just not used to seeing a browns fan with a sence of humor around here. even though browns and joke are used in the same sentence quite often.....what gives??? :noidea: .........>>>>>>>>>:flap:<<<<<<<<<

xfl2001fan
11-05-2008, 09:06 PM
sorry.....were just not used to seeing a browns fan with a sence of humor around here. even though browns and joke are used in the same sentence quite often.....what gives??? :noidea: .........>>>>>>>>>:flap:<<<<<<<<<

No worries. You can't help it that the Pittsburgh Pollution has gotten to you. :flap:

T.Richardson
11-10-2008, 12:02 PM
No worries. You can't help it that the Pittsburgh Pollution has gotten to you. :flap:

Hey dont forget, Cleveland is also one of the most polluted U.S. Cities behind Pittsburgh :nana: