PDA

View Full Version : Bears Offense?

Dennis
12-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Here's how I see it. Let me know what you think.

Bears Offense

Da Bears have had no real passing game at all this year, due to injuries. Starting QB Rex Grossman went down in the pre-season with a broken ankle. Hot prospect WR Mark Bradley is gone with a knee injury. What's left? A rookie QB (Orton) who is struggling to adapt from being a shotgun QB in college to a WCO-type passing game. Result? His accuracy stinks. The only deep threat left @ WR is Muhsin Muhammad. Result? he gets covered up by Defenses, no other decently fast receivers to draw off the coverage.

However, that picture is changing. Grossman has suited up as "Emergency" or 3rd QB for the past 2 games. He may be healthy enough to be bumped up to #2 this week. If so, he will likely play for at least part of the game against the Steelers. Grossman is a 3rd year vet who has no problem in the WCO-type passing game. Additionally, da Bears have been beefing up @ WR as players recover. We have added Berrian and Berlin to the roster. Both are fast and should be able to get the separation from defenders that da Bears have needed all season. That should also draw some of the coverage away from Muhammad, enabling him to get open downfield. Should be an interesting day @ Heinz Field, no matter who's under center for da Bears.

Da Bears running game is a different matter. Although we've lost hot rookie Cedric Benson for the time being (may be back for X-Mas game in Green Bay), vet Thomas Jones is having a Pro-Bowl season. He's already rushed for over 1,000 yards this year, with 4 games to go yet, plus having to miss a game due to a rib injury. When you figure that opponents know all you can do is run, they're going to set up to stop the run. But they haven't been able to this year against da Bears. Even if they manage to contain a slashing runner like Jones (which few have been able to), we just put in Adrian Peterson - a "power" Back. He doesn't run around defenders like Jones, he runs over them. It's hard for any Defense to be capable of containing both types of rushers...

The other bright spot on da Bears Offense is our O-line. The front four have not only provided great protection for Orton all year, but they've been opening up inside lanes for Jones all season long. If the Steelers play a 3-4 Defense, this is going to make opening lanes up even easier...

Although I hope for da Bears to have Kyle Orton try to come out passing to give him a chance to have a "breakout" game, I don't really expect it. Da Bears Offense has been doing it's job all year by running the ball. This protects it from turnovers and burns the clock, allowing our D to remain rested and refreshed. If we have a lead, no matter how small, we have generally been content to sit on it and depend on our Defense to keep the opponent from scoring. Drive as far as you can (mainly on the ground), holding onto the ball as long as you can. If you can't get close enough for a FG, then at least punt it deep to force the opposing Offense into a long drive against our D. Often opponents become frustrated at their poor field postion and start passing deep to make quick yardage. That's when our Secondary (Vasher & Tillman) will make them pay with an interception. I expect the Steelers to try it. Whether they learn it's a bad idea after one Vasher interception, or if it takes two in a row (like it did with Carolina), depends on how desparate Pittsburgh feels...

Suitanim
12-06-2005, 11:46 AM
This is very simple. It's one thing to run the ball against Minnesota's and Green Bay's and Detroit's of this league, and it's another thing entirely to run the ball against Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh, especially when you have a QB (or QB's) that consider a good game 9-15 for 120 yards and 1 INT. The Steelers will stack the box and force Orton to pass.

The Steelers rush defense is ranked 4th in the league. Here's where the competion the Bears have faced rank.

Redskins: 15th
Lions: 25th
Bengals: 24th
Browns: 27th
Vikings: 18th
Ravens: 13th
Saints: 28th
49ers: 20th
Panthers: 2nd
Bucs: 8th
Packers: 26th

The 2 defenses the Bears played worth anything held them in check: Tampa Bay allowed the Bears 118 on the ground, and Carolina 122.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2005, 01:26 PM
This is a game that will hinge more on how our offense plays instead of how well your offense plays.

Meaning that both defenses are stellar..so it comes down to, IMO, Ben and our offense if we stick w/ it should be able to put some points on the board as the game rolls on.. however there isnt too much that is intimidating about the bears offense at this point. The running game isnt doing too bad, but it shouldnt be a problem to just come after orton and force him to try and beat us.

We'll see, should be a great game!

Dennis
12-06-2005, 01:58 PM
The 2 defenses the Bears played worth anything held them in check: Tampa Bay allowed the Bears 118 on the ground, and Carolina 122.
Don't put too much into the Panthers and Buccaneers having "held" da Bears to 118 & 122 yards respectively. In the case of da Bears, it's a deceiving statistic. Our Offense didn't rush for a lot of yards because they didn't have to. The Defense often forced a turnover or just stopped the opposing Offense deep in their own territory to give us excellent field position. We are a ball-control, field-position team, on both sides of the ball...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2005, 02:08 PM
As are we, which should make this a quite lowing scoring game relatively speaking, unless alot of points are generated by ST and the defenses that is.

Both offenses may get some points in the second half as the defenses are battling it out and maybe allow some cheap points, but realistically it should be a slug fest.

Suitanim
12-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Alright, let's put this another way.

If the Bears pass for 120 yards, throw 1-2 interceptions, and run 35 times for 120 yards, they will score 3-6 points and lose Sunday.

Dennis
12-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Alright, let's put this another way.

If the Bears pass for 120 yards, throw 1-2 interceptions, and run 35 times for 120 yards, they will score 3-6 points and lose Sunday.
Why do you think that? Da Bears have basically been doing that all season, including their current 8-game-winning-streak. Why can they win that way against the Lions, Ravens, Saints, Buccaneers, Panthers, 49ers, Vikings, and Packers, but not against the Steelers? Because Roethlisberger can easily throw for 250 yards, even with a hurt thumb?

Brett Farve threw for 277 Sunday to Orton's 68, but the Packers still lost. Chris Simms threw for 202 yards while KO only threw 138 but da Bears beat the Buccaneers too. Same with Delhomme and the Panthers, Carolina had 235 yards, yet da Bears won with only 136 yards passing. Daunte Culpepper had 237 yards to Kyle's measly 117, yet da Bears beat Minnesota as well.

On the other hand, Big Ben threw for 386 yards against Cincinnati's 227, but the Steelers lost anyway. Sheer yardage is not a measure of winning on the field. I'd rather get 21 yards on three series starting at the opponent's 30 yard line to score 9 points on 3 FGs as opposed to getting 90 yards on three series starting from my own 20 and have to punt it away three times...

Dennis
12-06-2005, 03:26 PM
As are we, which should make this a quite lowing scoring game relatively speaking, unless alot of points are generated by ST and the defenses that is.

Both offenses may get some points in the second half as the defenses are battling it out and maybe allow some cheap points, but realistically it should be a slug fest.

Sorry, but I find it hard to consider Pittsburgh a "ball-control" team if they try passing 41 times in a game for 386 yards. To me that's just daring the other team to take the ball away from you...

Oh, and don't count on scoring from inside the 20, da Bears Defense is the best in the NFL when it comes to the Red Zone. :grin:

Koopa
12-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Why do you think that? Da Bears have basically been doing that all season, including their current 8-game-winning-streak. Why can they win that way against the Lions, Ravens, Saints, Buccaneers, Panthers, 49ers, Vikings, and Packers, but not against the Steelers? Because Roethlisberger can easily throw for 250 yards, even with a hurt thumb?

Brett Farve threw for 277 Sunday to Orton's 68, but the Packers still lost. Chris Simms threw for 202 yards while KO only threw 138 but da Bears beat the Buccaneers too. Same with Delhomme and the Panthers, Carolina had 235 yards, yet da Bears won with only 136 yards passing. Daunte Culpepper had 237 yards to Kyle's measly 117, yet da Bears beat Minnesota as well.

On the other hand, Big Ben threw for 386 yards against Cincinnati's 227, but the Steelers lost anyway. Sheer yardage is not a measure of winning on the field. I'd rather get 21 yards on three series starting at the opponent's 30 yard line to score 9 points on 3 FGs as opposed to getting 90 yards on three series starting from my own 20 and have to punt it away three times...

why do you keep comparing us to the packers?????? there is a HUGE! difference between the two............and y'all play in the nfc someone needs to give y'all a cookie for being 8-3, in that division if you ain't 8-3 you should be banned from the league. it's gonna be a good game but please stop comparing us to the teams in the nfc espically the teams that are in your division

sweetness34
12-06-2005, 04:05 PM
This is very simple. It's one thing to run the ball against Minnesota's and Green Bay's and Detroit's of this league, and it's another thing entirely to run the ball against Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh, especially when you have a QB (or QB's) that consider a good game 9-15 for 120 yards and 1 INT. The Steelers will stack the box and force Orton to pass.

The Steelers rush defense is ranked 4th in the league. Here's where the competion the Bears have faced rank.

Redskins: 15th
Lions: 25th
Bengals: 24th
Browns: 27th
Vikings: 18th
Ravens: 13th
Saints: 28th
49ers: 20th
Panthers: 2nd
Bucs: 8th
Packers: 26th

Are you saying 118-122 yards rushing a game is bad? Well then the steelers have a bad run game averaging only 123.

sweetness34
12-06-2005, 04:11 PM
why do you keep comparing us to the packers?????? there is a HUGE! difference between the two............and y'all play in the nfc someone needs to give y'all a cookie for being 8-3, in that division if you ain't 8-3 you should be banned from the league. it's gonna be a good game but please stop comparing us to the teams in the nfc espically the teams that are in your division

NFC is 24-24 against the AFC.

Suitanim
12-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Are you saying 118-122 yards rushing a game is bad? Well then the steelers have a bad run game averaging only 123.

But the Steelers also aren't dead last passing...

sweetness34
12-06-2005, 05:22 PM
But the Steelers also aren't dead last passing...

You got me there. Luckily our defense is so good we haven't had to pass.

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2005, 06:14 PM
We're the biggest challenge the Bears have faced? Sweet. Their Dead meat Sunday.

Dennis
12-07-2005, 07:28 AM
We're the biggest challenge the Bears have faced? Sweet. Their Dead meat Sunday.
Well, maybe not the "biggest challenge," but certainly a challenge that's on the list:

Can't win with a rookie QB - So we beat the Lions in Chicago
Can't beat a team outside of the weak NFC North - So we beat the Ravens in Chicago
Can't win on the road - So we beat the Lions in Detroit
Can't win on the road outside of the weak NFC North - So we beat the Saints in Baton Rouge
Can't beat a team with a winning record/playoff contender - So we beat the Panthers in Chicago
Can't beat a team with a winning record/playoff contender on the road - So we beat the Buccaneers in Tampa Bay
Can't beat a Brett Farve-led GB Packers @ Soldier Field - So we beat the Packers in Chicago

Da Bears have successfully taken more and more challenging steps thru the season. Now it's either "Can't beat a winning AFC team," and/or "Can't beat a winning team with a strong showing by the Offense."

So Chicago's coming to Pittburgh ready to play and still feeling the need to prove themselves. Also remember that we're still fighting for the NFC North title, Minnesota's on their own winning streak and can still catch us if we stumble. Above that, we're currently the #2 seed in the NFC Playoffs - so we get a "bye" in the Wild Card round, but that's not a lock either. Not to mention Home Field advantage thru the playoffs is still ours to lose. Chicago's got a lot riding on every game now and we're going to fight every step of the way...

Koopa
12-07-2005, 01:02 PM
i don't know dude i wouldn't brag about beating the lions twice, the ravens.....yes yes we lost to them but maddox is worthless and he make orton look like an all pro, panters ok, but bucs with simms ain't a challenge, and farve is done so there is no reason to brag about beating the packers

Dennis
12-07-2005, 01:39 PM
i don't know dude i wouldn't brag about beating the lions twice, the ravens.....yes yes we lost to them but maddox is worthless and he make orton look like an all pro, panters ok, but bucs with simms ain't a challenge, and farve is done so there is no reason to brag about beating the packers
I wasn't bragging exactly, about beating anyone. Rather, da Bears were picked to go 3-13 at best this season, and that was before Rex Grossman was injured and we had to go with a raw rookie (Kyle Orton).

So we weren't supposed to be able to beat anyone, including the Lions. Yet we did beat the Lions. First challenge met. The rest of that post was just to show how da Bears have been climbing the ladder of increasingly difficult challenges thru the season.

BTW, there's plenty of reason to be proud of beating the Packers, even if they are 2-10. First of all, Brett Farve may be past his prime but he's still one of the best QBs the NFL has ever seen. The Packers are still playing tough. They lost to Tampa Bay by a single point and Carolina only beat them by a FG. Secondly, the Bears-Packers rivalry is one of the oldest and greatest in profesional sports, and beating Brett Farve in Soldier Field is something that no Bears team has done in a dozen years. Mentally for da Bears, beating Green Bay was huge, I don't care what their record was...

Steel - X
12-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I love Lovie Smith as a coach this should be a great game.

Koopa
12-07-2005, 01:51 PM
this would be a better game for me if i got to see cedric benson play but i guess seeing vasher and a steelers W will be good enough :grin:

Dennis
12-07-2005, 02:02 PM
:busted: I just heard a rumor that Benson's recovering more quickly than anyone knew and should be suiting up Sunday! Just a rumor right now, can't confirm it...

Prosdo
12-07-2005, 03:54 PM
This is all I could find so far.

Bears | Benson injury update
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 15:28:46 -0800

Chicago Bears RB Cedric Benson (knee) is expected to do more in his rehabilitation during the coming week. However, he is not expected to play during Week 14.

Link: http://www.kffl.com/player/9175/NFL

Steel - X
12-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Thats the same thing I came across but I live no where near Chicago so I dont tune into any radio stations from over there.

Dennis
12-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Looks like they're listing Benson as "Doubtful" for the Steelers game. Not sure if they'll have him even suit up or not.

The good news (For da Bears, anyway) is that original starting QB Rex Grossman has recovered enough from his pre-season broken ankle to be listed #2 QB on the depth chart, replacing veteran Jeff Blake. I don't think that Lovie would have moved Grossman to #2 unless he's healthy enough to play, so expect to see Rex in the game sometime Sunday. :dancing: I doubt he'll start, can't really bench Orton with an 8 game winning streak, no matter how poorly he played last week. But Grossman doesn't have Orton's accuracy problems. With our newly beefed up WR Corps (Moose, Gage, Wade, Berrian, & Berlin), Rex ought to be able to find at least one target deep in Sunday's game. :hope:

Please do us a favor though. We just got Rex fixed. :wink02: Please don't break him. :nono: He's supposed to last at least three games before having a season-ending injury. :crutches:

fergusonat
12-08-2005, 08:27 AM
It should be an interesting game this weekend...time to see if the Bears can beat the big, bad Steelers. I really haven't watch much of the Bears, so I really don't know what to expect from them.

Dennis
12-08-2005, 09:16 AM
You can count on our Offense running the ball, a lot. The Steelers are currently #16 in the NFL defending the run, while da Bears are the #5 rushing Offense. I doubt you can stop us from running the ball, better defenses have tried all year and failed.

Our current standing as the #32 Passing Offense may be deceptive, since we're getting back QB Rex Grossman this week (although he's not starting), along with an improved receiver group. So our passing game is a huge question mark this week, can't tell what'll happen...

Da Bears Defense is the #1 in the NFL. :grin: Our Pass D is #2. We gave the #1 spot to Green Bay last Sunday with our pitiful showing in the air. :redface: Still expect us to be very effective against Roethlisberger, especially now that he's playing with an injured thumb. I think our front four will put a lot of pressure on your pocket, O-gun may even get a couple of sacks on Big Ben.

The softest spot in our Pass D is the middle, but Brian Urlacher has been dropped back to strengthen that over the past couple of weeks. He's insanely quick for a Linebacker, so he should be effective in the middle.

Of course, everybody knows about Vasher's interception ability, he keeps making the highlights. But "Peanut" Tillman is a great defender as well, knocks down a lot of passes, even gets an occasional interception himself.

Koopa
12-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Please do us a favor though. We just got Rex fixed. :wink02: Please don't break him. :nono: He's supposed to last at least three games before having a season-ending injury. :crutches:

ummmm that will be kind of hard, you look at him funny and he's broken for 6-8 weeks

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2005, 05:16 PM
our stats against the run are a bit deceptive.. we dropped in the standings mainly in the last 3 weeks or so during this skid. I look for us to stack the line with everything we got and make orton try and beat us.

If I was a betting man I'd bet we shut down the run good this weeked !

Suitanim
12-08-2005, 05:58 PM
It's a fairly sad state of affairs when an NFL team actually WANTS Rex Grossman at QB...

clevestinks
12-08-2005, 06:11 PM
This should be easy! Stop the run , force to pass, we win. If they can pass on us, then we need to call it a season!

Suitanim
12-11-2005, 06:08 PM

Instead, they threw 35 times because they had to play from behind, rushed 18 times for 83 yards, and lost 21-3...err, oops, I mean 21-9.

CantStop85
12-11-2005, 06:55 PM
I told you their offense was broken...

"It ain't broken, they've won 8 games in a row!"

Yeah, so is it broken now? Sheesh.

Koopa
12-12-2005, 02:31 AM
now don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever, compare the steelers to favre, the vikes, or the lions again

and orton sucks ass, just put grossman in even though he'll last a quarter at least for that quarter he might move the ball some

clevestinks
12-12-2005, 08:38 AM
Bears offense isnt that good! So they got spanked, like they should

Dennis
12-12-2005, 11:02 AM
now don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever, compare the steelers to favre, the vikes, or the lions again

and orton sucks ass, just put grossman in even though he'll last a quarter at least for that quarter he might move the ball some
Actually, I was comparing the Steelers more to the Bucs and the Panthers, wasn't I? :doh:

But Orton didn't "suck ass" yesterday. :huh: He threw for 207 yards with no picks or fumbles. :dancing: He even rushed for 8 yards. :wink02: He convincingly drove down the field 70+ yards twice to your 1 & 2 yard lines, but we settled just a FG and then a TD w/o the point after. If da Bears had scored TDs (w/PAs) both times (which we should have been able to do), the score would have been 21-14 in the 4th Qtr with 13:31 left to play. We should have had at least a shot at tying it up and going to OT.

And that was with our Defense deciding that they didn't feel like playing yesterday.:poop: Looking at the "highlights," just about all I saw was Bears Defenders bouncing off of Bettis. :jerkit:

But our O-line didn't play up to their usual excellent game, so Orton was sacked 3 times, especially that critical one when we were on your 2 yard line, running a bootleg. You guys manhandled our O-line. Which also shut down TJ's running lanes, thereby killing da Bears running game. Time of possession shows how effective you were at that.

Plain and simple, you took da Bears out of their game and made them play yours. How come AFC teams (Steelers, Bengals, even the Browns) are able to do that to da Bears?

Anyway, congratulations on a great game. :toast: I'm glad we were able to keep your playoff chances alive. :wink02:

You may now give this Bears fan his ass-whuppin' :kick:

Suitanim
12-12-2005, 11:16 AM
To be fair, 43 yards of those passing yards came on that freak play where Ike inexplicably didn't intercept the pass that was thrown right to him, and another 40 or so came on that garbage time drive with about 4 minutes left that resulted in a TO on downs. So, really, there was only one drive down the field.

Dennis
12-12-2005, 11:28 AM
I don't understand your fixation with Orton's performance yesterday. He looked like a fairly-competent journeyman NFL QB. Not a future Hall-of-Famer, but decent. :hunch:

The rest of the team, the O-line, Special Teams, running game, and most glaringly the Defense, all played like crap. You handed them their heads. :tombstone

Kyle looked OK, not great, but OK. Why are you picking on him? :huh:

Suitanim
12-12-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm not, just pointing out that the 207 he hung on us was mostly garbage. You were the one who said:

But Orton didn't "suck ass" yesterday. He threw for 207 yards with no picks or fumbles. He even rushed for 8 yards.

tony hipchest
12-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Actually, I was comparing the Steelers more to the Bucs and the Panthers, wasn't I? :doh:

But Orton didn't "suck ass" yesterday. :huh: He threw for 207 yards with no picks or fumbles. :dancing: He even rushed for 8 yards. :wink02: He convincingly drove down the field 70+ yards twice to your 1 & 2 yard lines, but we settled just a FG and then a TD w/o the point after. If da Bears had scored TDs (w/PAs) both times (which we should have been able to do), the score would have been 21-14 in the 4th Qtr with 13:31 left to play. We should have had at least a shot at tying it up and going to OT.

And that was with our Defense deciding that they didn't feel like playing yesterday.:poop: Looking at the "highlights," just about all I saw was Bears Defenders bouncing off of Bettis. :jerkit:

But our O-line didn't play up to their usual excellent game, so Orton was sacked 3 times, especially that critical one when we were on your 2 yard line, running a bootleg. You guys manhandled our O-line. Which also shut down TJ's running lanes, thereby killing da Bears running game. Time of possession shows how effective you were at that.

Plain and simple, you took da Bears out of their game and made them play yours. How come AFC teams (Steelers, Bengals, even the Browns) are able to do that to da Bears?

Anyway, congratulations on a great game. :toast: I'm glad we were able to keep your playoff chances alive. :wink02:

You may now give this Bears fan his ass-whuppin' :kick:

thanks dennis. and for helping keep our playoff chances alive maybe we can return the favor and keep the vikings off your tail next weekend.